Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Turns you off a mmorpg the most

For me its the monthley fee, I don't mind the repetetive gamplay because I know patience and hardwork takes off. ( I learned that from when I was clubbing when I was 13 and i got turned down like tons of times but I kept trying). The immaturity because you can always turn the chat button off or block the person its not big deal some ppl or kids are assholes.

Ya heard

Comments

• RK-MaraRK-Mara Member Posts: 641
    I don't mind monthly fee because I'm used to it. I hate most huge grind fest for two items you need for a quest.

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I hate when MMOs force you to group to get those items that take you hrs -N- hrs to get

• CooktasticoCooktastico Member Posts: 599
    If I'm playing an MMO and it becomes not fun for over 2 or 3 days, I quit. Usually it strikes me when I'm out grinding or something and I just think "Shit. Why am I even doing this?" If I'm paying per month, I better have fun each month.
  • scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424
    Bad UI and Animations are the first things i notice.

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    a poor start, EQ2 for instance.

• zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926
    A clunky ui non customable
    grouping in pugs for items when the 1 - 30 game didn't make you do that
    quest rewards not right for your character ( or lack of decent rewards choices )

a endless quest where the rewards were not worth the effort
    1- 20 game being great getting to 20 something and going oh yeek

Patches changing things in mid stream making all equipment items worked for worthless
    No customazation looking at 500 me's rather it be in terms of looks of the models , equipment
    Argo so bad in lower zones you go why bother upper zones

Repair costs so high you can't afford anything better in latter game
    Niji looters Steal killing

Mobs not dropping on level loot even if it is not the best just something you can use and is equipable
    paying for training seems your paying twice in terms of time then funds
    gold money sinks that are out of line and obvious time sinks
    Mounts at higher end of game not at medium levels
    Greys attacking high end characters ( seems at a certain point they would have fear)

The lack of reasonable loot talbes 40 + in certain games
    excessive travel times, where you cannot get on do a few things make some progress, rather it be in gathering
    crafting or exp
    Biggie games that tie Crafting to experaince level only
    Lack of choices of areas to play at certain levels, the typical yellow brick road approach

combat only progression and lack of reasonable updated skill base games

• SassymolassySassymolassy Member Posts: 363
    too many loading zones.   I need a seamless world.  Poor graphics and a clunky, or too bulky UI.

Dont go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. (Mark Twain)

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    boring, restricted pvp...loot grinding (kills crafting)...kiddie community...rampant bots/cheats...lvl based skill system... I guess those are the worst ones.
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Nerfs, monthly fees + zero useful tech support/ poor service.

Monthly fee's limit the amount of time I am willing to spend with the game. Which is a shame. It would be nice to go back and play the game again for a couple of days here and there every few months. But paying for a whole month for a nights fun convinces me not to.

I buy the boxed set, so the monthly fee's exclusively cover the server costs and support. It's not cheap so I expect better service than I get from cheaper game host providers. (CS server hosts for example). When I don't get it, (invariably). I get quite pissy.  

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263

Bad interface.

No matter what you think of WoW's gameplay, it's darned hard to go back to games that look like they're trying to intentionally annoy you.  People were willing to put up with a lot when MMORPG's were a new genre.  But matching WoW's smoothness will have to come first before any new MMORPG will have a chance to compete.

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Stupid devs & csr

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Originally posted by kopema

Bad interface.
    No matter what you think of WoW's gameplay, it's darned hard to go back to games that look like they're trying to intentionally annoy you.  People were willing to put up with a lot when MMORPG's were a new genre.  But matching WoW's smoothness will have to come first before any new MMORPG will have a chance to compete.

Unfortunatly this is very true.  WoW raised the bar as far as smooth animation.  However, I'd have to say my biggest turn-off is tedius, pointless tasks.  The quest system is fun at times, but can be extremely annoying.  I enjoyed how UO when was it was orginally released with no quests.  Allowed you to follow any path you wanted instead of the early level tedius quests.   
  • KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

The monthly fee was what kept me out of MMOs for the longest, but I have accepted that as part of life now. If you think you can charge me $50 and $15-$20 a month for crap then you've got another thing coming.

Lacking polish has to the biggest initial turn-off. If the game doesn't feel finished or at least close when I start playing, then I'm out. Bad graphics is often part of bad polish.

Lately (after WoW), cookie cutter is a huge turn off too. I don't want to be a "warrior" or a "mage". I want to put skill points into crafting that affects how much I can put into fighting and thus, how strong I am in PvE/PvP. I don't want skill points to "give you more options" for my selected class, as the WoW devs always said they did... I want skill points to be my class.

Lack of inter-player relations. Raiding didn't fill this for me, nor does forced grouping. All those cause, from what I've seen is greed. Crafting should be key, loot can give crafting improvements, but only very rarely a nicer-than-crafted item. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a crafter. In fact I am a heavy explorer/hunter. I think it is very important to reward adventuring, but it doesn't have to be "kill x boss y times for z item" and it doesn't have to kill player interdependance.

Those are some of the big ones.

• GrouchoGroucho Member Posts: 100
    Monthy fees don't bother me. $15? I spend more than that on lunch.

What does bug me is a poor interface, and lack of low-level content. If I play a game for the first time and I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing, and having a hard time figuring out how to do it...forget it. Ease me in.

Also, if you publish an MMORPG in another language, hire somebody who speaks it fluently to do the translations. For instance, Silkroad Online has a lot of good things going for it, but the English translation makes the game almost unplayable.

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

Lacking polish has to the biggest initial turn-off. If the game doesn't feel finished or at least close when I start playing, then I'm out. Bad graphics is often part of bad polish.
    Lately (after WoW), cookie cutter is a huge turn off too. ...

I played WoW for two months and had a blast; then I got bored with it and now I can't even stand to look at a screenshot.  But I freely admit that I will spend fifty bucks to try out any new roleplaying game as long as the demo/free trial looks good.  But when it comes to an MMORPG, I won't continue to play unless there's something more behind it.

I know WoW has a huge number of current subscribers, but does anybody have any statistics on how many people BOUGHT the game, but are no longer playing?  (If that doesn't make sense in the Eastern market, that's fine, I'd settle for the US or European market; all I want is a representative percentage.)

It seems that WoW has been among the top three PC box-sellers almost every week for two years now, so maybe they've had a lot of drop-offs.  I kind of hope so anyway...

Because it doesn't really matter how many people SAY they're tired of the grind; if WoW still has a high percentage of its original players paying subscription fees, that does not bode well for the kind of "involved" game that I (and apparently a lot of people around here) would like to see.

Basically, developers will decide that it doesn't really matter what the gameplay is like; make the game slick and people will play until something slicker comes along.

Lately (after WoW), cookie cutter is a huge turn off too. I don't want to be a "warrior" or a "mage". I want to put skill points into crafting that affects how much I can put into fighting and thus, how strong I am in PvE/PvP. I don't want skill points to "give you more options" for my selected class, as the WoW devs always said they did... I want skill points to be my class.

I'm going a bit off-topic here, but I think you're asking for contradictory features.   It's incredibly difficult to balance PvP even when the classes are "cookie cutter."   I think the only way we can get a more open-ended skill system is if a developer COMPLETELY excises any thought of PvP from his system from the very beginning.

As for the people complaining about the monthly fee...  A lot of people play MMORPG's a hundred hours - or more - for one monthly subscription fee.  It costs more than that to watch a two-hour movie with a snack.  Seriously, what incredible values are out there competing for your entertainment dollar?

I'd always be happy if a developer provided a better product, even if the price were higher, but wishing for free service makes about as much sense as wishing for the Tooth Fairy to give it to you.

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    I dislike companys who do NOTHING about goldsellers/powerlevelers/bots/etc on their game. They ban a hundred accounts and say everything is better.

Not.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276
    Forced grouping and a bland, static world.

Grind is a bit of a varrious thing for me. Almost every MMO need's it, and I generaly don't mind it but obviously if it's out of hand i'll dislike it.

The imature communitys can get anoying as well.. but they aren't very high up on my list of care.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

I dislike PVP and the posturing of "uberleets" that it spawns, as well as the cycle of nerf and counter-nerf in the never-ending and fruitless search for "PVP class balance."

If I could find a really good, solid game that was PVE-only, and had no PVP and would not entertain the notion of adding it under any circumstances, I'd be there with bells on.

C

• sacred_bandsacred_band Member Posts: 104

1. cartoony graphics-i got into rpgs because i like fantasy novels and history and man did some of these games ruin the imagery for me with fluffy anime magic and muppet looking monsters

2. non-pvp and/or low death penalties, matter of preference but to me if you cant be killed and lose a lot of stuff the game becomes pointless, you just try a quest a thousand times till you succeed, even die on purpose to teleport, i like to feel like every time i sign on i can be ambushed by an enemy guild or something and lose a couple days worth of exp at least.

in pvp anywhere games with relatively small servers and big death penalties, you would eventually know everyone there and hunt eachother 24/7, this made levelling actually fun rather than feeling like an idiot paying to do manual labour, in safe zone games the "clans" ive been in have just been random groups of people who dont even speak the same language that joined to open up some clans only quest

3. lack of item personalization, games where everyone has the same gear, or games where the better the gear gets, the dumber it looks.

example: Its pretty common in games now that you start out with some cool realistic lookikg plate armour or chain armour then by the time youre a high level to stay competitive you have to wear some giant banana hat with lightning rods shooting out of it that you cant change and youre just stuck choosing between weak noob item or elite retarded looking banana hat

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Lootcentric gameplay.  If the whole point of the game is to raid and kill MOB's for 1337 swords, then I have no intrest in your game.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Poorly thought out "core" game mechanics.

You know, I don't really care if an MMO doesn't have every single feature in the book but what really turns me off is when a developer try's to over reach with the games play mechanics, can't make it work but leaves shoddy working systems in anyways because they can throw it on the feature list at the front of the box.

Thats the fastest way to get me to un-sub from any MMO.

Do what you do well, get the game mechanics working properly and then add things in, I don't get why these new development teams don't get that now days.

• isurusisurus Member Posts: 396

1. Elves

2. Dwarves

3. Orcs

4. Consentual pvp

5. Compulsory grouping

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

Unchallenging and repetitive gameplay

I'm tired of the kill x tigers, bring y paws quests. This has been done so many times and frankly it's the type of gameplay that will make me unsubscribe quickly. Why pay a monthly fee for games I've played before?  Looking for a more imaginative or innovative game. Devs who are willing to incorportate fresh ideas into a game. Maybe quests that require some puzzle solving (although not hopelessly frustrating). Everything I've read on in upcoming MMO's are old ideas packaged in nicer graphics. At least the single player RPG's are more imaginative and entertaining than most repetivite than most of the MMO's on the market today. NWN2 can't get here soon enough.

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519
    It's the added " Solo content " that turns me off the most, Way to much solo going on,I wanna group and experience the game when I subscribe to a Mmo,I'll solo in Oblivion,No problem there for me

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Forced grouping and poor interface/klunky controls are usually what do me in. I'm pretty flexible about almost anything else, provided there are some merits to the game.