Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game better than Guild Wars?

Oprah2Oprah2 Member Posts: 118
I love Guild Wars a lot and i just wanted to know if this game is better if it is can u get mounts in this game

Comments

• KenosKenos Member Posts: 5
    You cannot get mounts, however it is far better than Guild Wars.
  • kagdakagda Member Posts: 85

Guild Wars and Shadowbane are pretty much as different as one can get... in fact any mmo is different then GW, because GW is all instance, where is all the other once are all real time....

In Shadowbane you can pvp anywhere u want *for the most part*, and the items u carry in inventory are dropped if ur killed, where as im sure you know that in GW u dont loose anything from pvp, and its allowed only in certain parts of the map, and only with concent.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• Oprah2Oprah2 Member Posts: 118
    Ok then im not going to get it cuz its nothing like GW
  • JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by Oprah2
    Ok then im not going to get it cuz its nothing like GW
    There is nothing to get the game is free with no monthly payments, how long it will last noone knows. (So dont buy it at the store, I have seen some stores sell it despite being free now).
  • kagdakagda Member Posts: 85
    Yeah a bunch of stores still have the boxed versions of Shadowbane for sale, from like 2 years ago haha.... but yeah there is a several places online where you can download the whole game, and after that just gotta wait for the patcher to catch up, and have a valid e-mail address in order to play..... main problem is that its very hard to the noobs, cuz most people that are still left, that still play the game are a-holes, its true i was one, untill i quit for the 10th time like 4 months ago... but yeah its absolutley free, and worth a try to see how a 'true pvp' game feels like.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• Oprah2Oprah2 Member Posts: 118
    i downloaded it fine then i went to the folder to unzip and the WinZip wouldnt work everytime i even downloaded it from different websites and stil the WinZip didnt work
  • sacred_bandsacred_band Member Posts: 104

its too bad its not working for you, shadowbane vs gw would depend on if you prefer

MMORPGs (shadowbane)

to standing around in a single player instance taking screen shots of yourself saying "yep im playing an online game, ive arrived" even though you dont see any other human life (guild wars)

• stonebredstonebred Member Posts: 33

I've played Shadowbane for years on and off... somehow I always return to the game. I recently started playing again after having bought Guild Wars.

Here's why: I bought Guild Wars because of all the hype, and I was really looking for something to blow me away. After having played WoW for a while, I wanted a game that had no monthly costs. For me, I work all the time and don't want to have the monthly costs when I'm only going to be able to play maybe once a week, if that.
    (By the way, IMO WoW was pretty fun)

Back to Guild Wars... it's an OK game. I don't like the fact that the whole game is instanced where-ever you go. And like many games out there today, in order to level up it seems like a wild goose chase to complete each quest. Run from here to there. Good... Now run from HERE to THERE. Good...

Maybe it gets better in time, I only played until about level 10 and felt like it was just repeating itself a bunch. I haven't yet explored the PvP part of the game, but I really wanted to get a good "feel" for my character by leveling instead of just using a premade cookie cutter character that's already high level. Seems like cheating to me.

I digress. Shadowbane allows full customization of your characters skills and powers and that part of the game I love. It also allows for full PvP no matter where you are on the map (noob island excluded).

It seems to me that the Guild Wars characters really don't have a whole lot of choices when it comes to customizations and that's where I believe Shadowbane excels. I would love to see a NEW game like Shadowbane emerge from the MMO genre - just hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg every month to play.

~If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?~

• AkaraxleAkaraxle Member UncommonPosts: 471

I've been on Guild Wars for a year and a half, I've read and played about Shadowbane a little, and what I can tell you is: you cannot compare these two games.

Shadowbane seems to be all about the thrill of wandering hostile lands, always wary of your surroundings, knowing you could be ganked and robbed anytime by someone stronger or with better equipment than you. Not only that, it strongly encourages you to do the same: be a bandit, profit in spite of others, step over them and crush them. Again, I've never really played SB seriously -- though I really really would like to -- but that's my perception of it and I believe the feelings and the adrenaline this game can give aren't matched by anything else.

Guild Wars is completely different. It's very technical, encourages teamplay and accurate build selection, and it comes down to defeating your opponent with skill and strategy alone -- having no material advantage over others. There is no thrill or subterfuge; you know who your opponent is, you have a general idea of what his build might be, you can guess what his tactics will be, and you know your team has to best him on equal terms. What makes the difference is your own skill, how well you coordinate with teammates and your knowledge of the game mechanics.

One is brutal, the other is elegant. They are both great games, but it all comes down to personal taste.

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Guild Wars is better.

PVP - In GW you can always find a fight and can earn rewards for fighting. As for shadowbane you would think since its FFA pvp there would be conflict but basicly the maps are large and the population is small..as you can guess your fights will be few and far between.

I recently played shadowbane and the only conflict came at mines, usually 8pm-1am. The rest of the time the servers are ghost towns. Even when 500 people are on , 200 are bots.

Shadowbane also takes forever to get your runes/gold and uber items so you can compete.

• SylocSyloc Member Posts: 92
    Shadowbane is only fun if you've played it before, hell i still have a blast now that i can get multiple accounts without paying for it. But to exepect someone whose never seen the game to get past the really bad graphics and the fact that you won't see the massive action sb is known for until a bane... that's hard to expect of anyone.

Visit My fantasy Blog! http://fantasyglobe.blogspot.com/

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
  • skrowlskrowl Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Shadowbane plays more like Diablo, Dungeon siege or Ultima Online.  Guild Wars plays more like a 'traditional' MMO such as Everquest or WoW.  It's really hard to compare them and say which is better.  It all comes down to which play style you like.

Of course, since Shadowbane is 100% free, why not just download it and try it out?   If you hate it, all it cost you was some time.

• wrathexwrathex Member Posts: 9
    ok as u may have noticed it depends on personal taste, i havent played sb but u can take this into consideration, guild wars has around 780,000+ppl playing in mayb all 3 campaingns, also u miss the fact tht an mmorpg sometimes comes down to the refined and minute details like video, sounds, graphics, community, instances, quests, special features and is not sometimes always about the gameplay...
  • hatchethandshatchethands Member Posts: 187
    Well like many people posted. These two games have their ups and downs. It just is really what you look forward into a game. Sure both games are fun. But it kind of broad asking which game is better. Guild Wars is more considered a 'mmo' than an 'mmorpg'. Having played both, I like both of the games. I am playing Guild Wars because I like the games itself and I think having no monthly fee is great. But, Shadowbane is also free, now. So it is a safe bet to choose either of the games because they are both loads of fun, imo.
  • alexcdo01alexcdo01 Member Posts: 8
    Yeimage
  • ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Which GAME is better? Guildwars.
    Which CONCEPT is better? Shadowbane.

Shadowbane is conceptualy the best mmo in existance, in fact, closer to what every mmo should be than any mmo ever. However it was born broken, and has stayed broken, and most likley, will never be fixed.

However, the people behind the game are free from ubi's retarted reign, and are working hard on a secret mmo. While we know it is NOT going to be shadowbane2, we can all still cross our fingers and hope that they take the concept, and make it work.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• ZerocydeZerocyde Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by wrathex
    sometimes comes down to the refined and minute details like video, sounds, graphics, community, instances, quests, special features and is not sometimes always about the gameplay...
    When PLAYing a GAME it is always about GAMEPLAY.

IMO:

The point of a game, is to emerse the player in the world that the devs of the game have created. To take you out of the real world, and into a new one. And anyone who has ever read a book will tell you that dont dont even need graphics or sound to do that. All you need is good content. Haveing the technology that we do is only to enhance that immersion. Graphics and sound, should only be added on to an already fabulous game, just to help the immersion along. Just look at the shit that is Oblivion. Probably the greatest graphical acheavment in video games to date, and still its ugly cousin morrowind is 200 times funner to play.

And untill people stop spending wads of money on shiney objects, then all of these graphicly beautifull piles of shit called 'games' will still fly off the shelves.

"It is in your nature to do one thing correctly; Before me, you rightfully tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe." ~Francis Dolarhyde

• ShazzelShazzel Member Posts: 472

Dont waste your time with Shadowbane.

* Very unbalanced pvp that leads to FOTM. If you try to make a character yourself you'll end up re-rolling.

* One sided economy, the guys that own the cities have all the money/items and access to the highest end items available for them to roll for themselves.

* Graphics that were outdated in late 99, early 2000.

* Noob unfriendly, good luck finding your way into a guild at level 20. You might get lucky and find one but odds are they wont be helpfull and just see you as another guy to buy off their vendors.

* Zerg nations , 1-2 large nations will tend to "control" entire servers. Lore server it is/was elves controled for example.

* low population , even if you stick it out the end game is mindnumbingly boring. The only action will come at mine fights during peak US hours and Occasional banes (fights over cities).

Guild Wars - Great game but not cheap. Expect to spend at least 130$ to get the full game. No monthly fee's afterwards. Its 20x the game that shadowbane is though and about 900,000 more players (literally).

• VesilisVesilis Member UncommonPosts: 21

Shadowbane is just amazing. For me, it has taught the following things:

* Don't be a carebear. You can whine all you want about unfairness but the people on SB will just laugh.

* If you are a n00b, pretend not to be. I almost know what I might be talking about after a year of play. Or DO I?

* PvP is fun when you play a game where it isn't completely controlled. Even a 20 vs. 20 battle is huge for a game like Guild Wars, but Mines on SB are battles of about that scale.

Guild Wars has taught me...

* There are nice people who play MMORPGs.

* PvP can be boring when there doesn't seem to be a point to it other than something to do in your spare time.

* Some games have good graphics.

* PvE can provide interesting ideas to use in PvP.

If I had to keep one and throw the other away, I would keep Shadowbane.