Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character driven game needed.

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Now that Seed is going by the wayside, I'm looking for a game that looks like this:

1)  Deep character play.  I want a good platform for roleplay with a robust DIKU style chat and emote system.  What I don't want is everyone resorting to TS or Vent to organize their play.

2)  Non-Combat Activities.  I want a game that emphasizes non-combat work like crafting, resource gathering, maintaining equipment, experimentation, medicine, etc.  I guess it can have combat too, but the ways to make a living have more to do with other activities.

3)  Skill-Based character advancement.  I want a game where you can learn various skills to suit your needs.

4)  Cooperative, rather than competitive play.  I want a game where the object is not to "pwn all" with their guilds.  Some competition is alright, but I don't want a situation where the character-driven environment takes a backseat to PvP.

Basically, I want a game that has all the freeform gameplay of a MUD, with graphics, animation, and mouse-driven interface.  The only games I knew that were like this were A Tale in the Desert, and Seed.  Seed is closing down, and I'd rather find a Sci-Fi game than Tale.

Any thoughts?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Than your game is:

Saga of Ryzom

But beware - It is "sandbox" game. The game that rather lets player create content than throw content at you.

A totally free and unlimited trial is available (although in isolated area - so you will have no contact with paying players)

You played Seed ? You poor thing

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

thats somthing i would play, somthing diffrent and ur right, competiveness in an mmo can often make it boring...

All this hack and slash buisss is just repitive nonsense thrown on ur plate by the cafateria ladies, much like this sentence.

I think mmo's are gonna die, and everyone will go back to good games such as Nwn and .hack and other such stuff

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    EVE Online

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276
    I played (or at least tried to play) Seed back during Beta.  OMG there was no way I would have paid for it.  I knew full well that it was going to be gone within a few months after they rushed it to live release when it was getting nothing but complaints during beta (should have been called alpha testing).   Sorry for the rant.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

Originally posted by Samuraisword
    EVE Online

EVE online - while a fantastic game , is not the game you are looking for.

Actually the points you requested sounded like list of Ryzom features.

So again Ryzom is the game for you.

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by Rattrap

EVE Online

Ryzom is dead, hardly anyone plays it. You will be bored to tears.

EVE Online has lots of players in one world. Lot's to do.

Originally posted by Rattrap

EVE Online

EVE has very big player base, it is a great game.

But it is a PVP driven game. Based around PVP and costly PvP in which you lose everything when killed.
    Crafting and economy is supreme , but due to TIME based skill progression - it will take you a 6 months up to year to be able to produce anything competitive.

Dont listen to people saying EVE is not PVP game. Sure you can do anything , and never pvp - but just enter EVE forums and you will read statements (from the same players telling you EVE is not PVP mandatoty) like "EvE is based on PVP" , "Eve is boring if you dont PVP" , "Wait until you PVP to see what real EVE is like"...etc

On other hand Ryzom is smaller game , with frendliest community of any mmo. Lot of roleplay , and much more relaxed - You can also get hands on from the very start , you will not need to play for a year just to be able to "feel" the game

• GRIMACHUGRIMACHU Member Posts: 528

Untrue.

While not as big as some other MMORPGs Ryzom does have a reasonable and active community. It is just somewhat spread out over communities and the very large size of the land you have to explore in Ryzom.

If you like everything else about it it is probably best to help grow that population, rather than whine about it.  Pootling off doesn't improve the situation.  Fyros or Matis races are probably the most populous, Tryker the most helpful.  There are relatively few Zorai but those that there are would be happy to see people and be even more helpful than usual!

Ryzom does have PvP and competetive elements in it, but the community remains, somehow, one that is more mature and focussed on cooperation.  With the R2 expansion the options of non-competetive play become broader again.

Postmortem Studios
    Roleplaying games to DIE for
    Shop here

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I left EVE for Seed, man.

Kind of tells you what I think about EVE.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• frkhot97frkhot97 Member Posts: 393

I'm very sorry Seed was killed, it could have been a great long time MMORPG if it had enough financial support. Never a big community game, but steadily growing I'm sure. I payed for and occasionally played Seed since release, but I was very involved in Ryzom and that game won my time.

I'd say Seed's and Ryzom's communities are fairly alike. More focus on RP in Seed of course, but even the biggest non-RPers in Ryzom will respect your effort. It's not Sci-Fi, but a genre they call "Science Fantasy", heavily influenced by Nausica

• wakizawakiza Member UncommonPosts: 17

Originally posted by Beatnik59

Now that Seed is going by the wayside, I'm looking for a game that looks like this:
    1)  Deep character play.  I want a good platform for roleplay with a robust DIKU style chat and emote system.  What I don't want is everyone resorting to TS or Vent to organize their play.
    2)  Non-Combat Activities.  I want a game that emphasizes non-combat work like crafting, resource gathering, maintaining equipment, experimentation, medicine, etc.  I guess it can have combat too, but the ways to make a living have more to do with other activities.
    3)  Skill-Based character advancement.  I want a game where you can learn various skills to suit your needs.
    4)  Cooperative, rather than competitive play.  I want a game where the object is not to "pwn all" with their guilds.  Some competition is alright, but I don't want a situation where the character-driven environment takes a backseat to PvP.
    Basically, I want a game that has all the freeform gameplay of a MUD, with graphics, animation, and mouse-driven interface.  The only games I knew that were like this were A Tale in the Desert, and Seed.  Seed is closing down, and I'd rather find a Sci-Fi game than Tale.
    Any thoughts?

Sounds like Ultima Online.
  • TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Originally posted by wakiza
    Sounds like Ultima Online.

Since when is Ultima Online a sci-fi game?
  • OlufOluf Member Posts: 24
    Actually, I am looking for a game just like that (seed player as well)
    I tried out SoR and....well it seems that I have to grind just to complete the tutorials! Granted, I havent giving it much time yet but so far I am not that impressed.

Any other, serious, suggestions would be welcome. Eve is not my cup of tea either I am afraid. Any there any games out there with GM's who run constant events/stories/whatever you wish to call it ? And no, SoR's gm events once a month is not constant imo :)

• 321abcde321abcde Member Posts: 34
    To do that, we would need game companies who are not in it for general profit.

Know why WoW has instances? To nab you for extra game time. Raids? same thing. There is no reward. It is neverending. You get no long term effects for beating Ragnaros. He comes back next week. GG. You got High Warlord in PvP? Well, you just wasted a crapload of time, because the PvE sets are better :O.

For most companies, its about the money more than the gamepley and satisfaction.

Even if it weren't a money gathering game company, it would take forever to make an actual good one. I see the first true great MMORPG in 2012. WIth deep characters, world effects, and all that jazz.

I cannot hear you over the SHUT THE FUCK UP!