Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is .hack ?

RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

What is this .hack people are talking about ?

And how does it connect with online gaming ?

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

Comments

• HotcellHotcell Member UncommonPosts: 279

.hack is my wet dream.

Somewhere in the future, human have the technology to go inside online games.

Take World of Warcraft for example. You play your character using keyboard & mouse. In .hack, you actually go inside your computer and play as your character. You experience "death" etc.

I dont really know how to explain but it should give you some idea. .hack takes place in an online game world where every character is played by someone in real life. Pretty fun anime the first time you watch it.

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

.hack anime ?

Ok ... not really new idea. Actually this idea was around since begining of cyberpunk novels.

Anyway people are talking about .hack online games ?!

What are people talking about ? Nethack ?

Is it an online (multiplayer) game?

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Hotcell

.hack is my wet dream.
    Somewhere in the future, human have the technology to go inside online games.
    Take World of Warcraft for example. You play your character using keyboard & mouse. In .hack, you actually go inside your computer and play as your character. You experience "death" etc.
    I dont really know how to explain but it should give you some idea. .hack takes place in an online game world where every character is played by someone in real life. Pretty fun anime the first time you watch it.

No, not really. they don't go inside their computer. they still play like you and I, but they use a special headset that improved the experience

anyway, to the OP:

Its a serie of Anime and games. both are supposed to simulate an mmorpg. and let me tell you, they failed. horribly. the game doesn't feel like an mmorpg at all.
  • BostonCrabBostonCrab Member Posts: 8
    .hack is an anime about a mmorpg, there are 3 or 4 series I believe and several single player games. I read there was an online version coming out or in development. However, i dout it will be anything like the anime series .

I think it was called .Hack//Fragments or something.

Which FF Character Are You?

~Currently Playing L2~
    ~6x OL~

• GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
    .Hack is an uber popular anime about an mmorpg, in the future. Sad thing is that it seems asians have't made any improvements in the field over the years and it is still a generic hack n slash grindfest.  Very dumb anime if you ask me.  The games for ps2 are even worse.  

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• Nu11u5Nu11u5 Member Posts: 597

.hack is a franchise that covers several anime series, manga, and video games.

The central story of it revolves around an MMORPG known as "The World" that you get to experience in your mind using some snazzy tech. The mega-corp that runs it is buried in a conspiracy surrounding just how 'alive' The World seems to be. Also, 'Incidents' have been known to happen leaving the game's users in a coma.

If you have even the slightest interest in anime, I fully recommend finding a copy of the first series (.hack//SIGN) and giving it a watch. Though skip episodes 27+ (the series ended at episode 26, the 27th and 28th were added as a bridge to the games and 'third' series and genuinly suck).

And for the love of God, avoid .hack//Twilight!!!

As for a real .hack MMO, there already has been one released in Japan called .hack//Fragment. The producers have stated that they don't plan on making a version for the rest of the world, and I don't blame them. If the MMO is anything like the video games or what the anime suggests, it is very much a shallow level grinding treadmill game, and won't have much success outside of Asia.

//insert sig here
  • mannequinmannequin Member Posts: 165

.hack is a series of anime/manga and games based around an MMORPG called "The World" where players log in using a fancy headset and controller. The game is almost like virtual reality (in a way)...it is a really good anime series if your into anime, and the gmaes aren't too shabby either (in my own opinion) ..then again..I'm a bit of a .hack fanboy..

I would say..if you really want to know..rent or buy the ".hack//sign" series...and after that watch ".hack//legend of the twilight" a;thugh it isn't as good, it gives u the most information you need about the game.

Search wikipedia (www.wikipedia.org) for .hack//sign ...it would also give you some help...

I wish they made a "The World" online...without the hacking part..but an accual copy of "the world".... I'd love that so much.

Anyway, Ireccomend going out and renting .hack and get an oppinion for yourself, for it is a very debate-able series..

~Manne

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by Hotcell

.hack is my wet dream.

*soils his pants*

Imagine if it were true. I would walk around like Gutz from Berserk, with a sword bigger than me and just enjoy walking from A-B hacking horses in half etc. But seriously - Imagine if you went against an enemy (as a raid party of 30) and you could smell the fear ^^ And smell the named bosses breath and feel his roar. Amazing!!!

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• mannequinmannequin Member Posts: 165

.hack is my wet dream too :P

"But seriously - Imagine if you went against an enemy (as a raid party of 30) and you could smell the fear ^^ And smell the named bosses breath and feel his roar."

In .hack only special players like Tsukasa can feel in the game, because theyt are in the game, with the heaset, it doesn't give you feeling, just the sight and sound. anda Controller does all the moving.

• godofwar69godofwar69 Member Posts: 151

HAck Is A Tool To Give Players God Powers Like Counter Strike SOurce They Have WallHack and AimBot

RuneScape Has Auto Bots

Just A Tool To Make You The Best But If You Get Caught Your Banned

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Read the thread man. They're talking about ".hack//" not "hacking".

...and don't capitalize every word, it's almost as bad as CAPS LOCK.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

.Hack is several different things at once. It's an anime series known as .Hack//Sign. It's a manga who's exact title escapes me currently. And it's a series of 4 PS2 games that are meant to be played in oder. These games are (in order): .Hack//Infection, .Hack//Mutation, .Hack//Outbreak and .Hack//Qaurantine. The main critisism of the game has to do with the fact that they could have just made one game in the first place. Each chapter can be completed in about 20 hours or less and there isn't much added in the following chapters other than new servers. On the up side, you can probably pick them up used for less than $10 a shot now.

There's going to be a new .Hack series of games beginning later this year called .hack//G.U. vol. 1//Rebirth. This is gonna be a three part series that happens about 7 years after the events of the first series and looks to have a much darker tone than the IP has had in the past. I'm figuring that this series is going to be a lot like the first and charge people $50 for each 20 hour chapter without adding much new to the gameplay in each chapter's release. It'll still be worth renting through Gamefly though.

As for .Hack//Fragment.... It's only going to be released in Japan. The game is online, but it's not MMORPG in the same way that the the game is portrayed in the anime or the games. Players meet in text based lobbies, form parties of up to three players and then run randomized dungeons. Just like in the games, the goal is to cross the field, find the dungeon, get to the bottom of the dungeon and be rewarded with a rare item. Die, and it's game over since you'll have to start a whole new character. I would actually play this, but I'm a huge fan of dungeon crawling and permadeath. I can understand why they won't bring it to the states.

I also heard a rumor that .Hack//Fragment has a feature that allows players to create their own content for the game such as dungeons and custom character models. I don't have a modded PS2 or I'd be telling you exactly what's what about this game.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Sorry, I thought I should at least feed the .Hack//Fanbois before signing off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8hBtkPptc

That's the Japanese trailer for the .Hack//GU series. Don't worry if you don't speak Japanese, "coolness" normally exsists in a vacuum. And this trailer IS cool.

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

As for .Hack//Fragment.... It's only going to be released in Japan. The game is online, but it's not MMORPG in the same way that the the game is portrayed in the anime or the games. Players meet in text based lobbies, form parties of up to three players and then run randomized dungeons. Just like in the games, the goal is to cross the field, find the dungeon, get to the bottom of the dungeon and be rewarded with a rare item. Die, and it's game over since you'll have to start a whole new character. I would actually play this, but I'm a huge fan of dungeon crawling and permadeath. I can understand why they won't bring it to the states.
    I also heard a rumor that .Hack//Fragment has a feature that allows players to create their own content for the game such as dungeons and custom character models. I don't have a modded PS2 or I'd be telling you exactly what's what about this game.

Ok

Now i finnaly realise why they compare it with NWN ( i mean the game not cartoon )

It sounds like nice idea since I too like dungeoncrawls nethack/rogue styles - not for mmo , but for online game