Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there no other game with all the good pre-cu things ??

rickbmbrickbmb Member UncommonPosts: 72

How come no one is making a game all the things that made pre-cu swg so great. I mean they could make an exact copy of pre-cu swg and call it whatever, they'd get an insane amount of sub's in no time.

Just wondering why no one picked up on that yet.

Comments

• wolfsaberwolfsaber Member Posts: 29
    you got a point there.. what they should of done is instead of writing over the old files they should of made a sec copy of it an rewrite it an have two swg's one pre cu an one NGE....
  • akevvakevv Member Posts: 208
    Saga of Ryzom seems to be pretty well received. i played that for a month, but after grinding Jedi and having the rug pulled out, I could nto bring myself to another grind game. I played WoW (terrible), Auto Assault (sorta fun), Guild Wars (very nice game), PlanetSide (totally awesome PvP), and spent time in multiple RTS games. I have not found any game since Pre-NGE SWG that can hold my attention more than two months...

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by rickbmb

How come no one is making a game all the things that made pre-cu swg so great. I mean they could make an exact copy of pre-cu swg and call it whatever, they'd get an insane amount of sub's in no time.

250k subs (and alot of em by the same people) is an insane amount of sub's ?

Let's face it, SWG never had 500k subs.

eqnext.wikia.com

• rickbmbrickbmb Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Even if they'd get 100k subs, that 100k customers a 15$/month. I think it'd be well worth it.
  • broadzillabroadzilla Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by akevv
    Saga of Ryzom seems to be pretty well received. i played that for a month, but after grinding Jedi and having the rug pulled out, I could nto bring myself to another grind game. I played WoW (terrible), Auto Assault (sorta fun), Guild Wars (very nice game), PlanetSide (totally awesome PvP), and spent time in multiple RTS games. I have not found any game since Pre-NGE SWG that can hold my attention more than two months...

I tried Saga of Ryzom but got discouraged when I could not figure out how to re-keymap it to move with the mouse. Maybe I was spoiled by pre cu but I really hate wasd movement. Pre cu was so smooth and the interface worked perfectly in my opinion. If you know a trick to re-key Saga of Ryzom please let me know and I'll be there.
  • jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by wolfsaber
    you got a point there.. what they should of done is instead of writing over the old files they should of made a sec copy of it an rewrite it an have two swg's one pre cu an one NGE....

You honestly do not believe they "wrote over" the old files?  Tell me it ain't so.

I bet the devs have copies at home (they probably have their own pre-CU server so they can play something fun), the company has copies onsite and offsite...I think even the Pope probably has copies.  It's not gone...just suppressed.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by rickbmb

one reason: lazy coders. nobody wants to take the time to make an immersive game.

why should they? wow's popularity proves simplicity sells. unfortunately 

to much time an money to do.. an if they found out that you copy righted the game you would formost be sue'ed with out a dought

i had a dream of doing that my self last night..... taking the pre cu copy an getting a server started from a different company an start from scrash but getting sued is not a pretty site

• ShiloFieldsShiloFields Member Posts: 252

Originally posted by broadzilla

I tried Saga of Ryzom but got discouraged when I could not figure out how to re-keymap it to move with the mouse. Maybe I was spoiled by pre cu but I really hate wasd movement. Pre cu was so smooth and the interface worked perfectly in my opinion. If you know a trick to re-key Saga of Ryzom please let me know and I'll be there.

I totally feel the same way about WASD movement and Pre-Cu's system.  If I can't remap the controls to be basically like SWG's, it pretty much a deal breaker for me.

That interface was perfect.

• KethrymKethrym Member Posts: 85
    The original SWG had a decent amount of Subs for the time.   Pre-Cu seemed to be too  complicated for the average 14-18 year old to figure out.  Thus the the change.   You can't mass market a game that takes a brain to play.   Look at every single MMO on the market.  If you can't learn the basics in 5 min the kids cry and the adults suffer.   Take EQ2 Beta as an example.  Heroic Opportunities (in my mind one of the coolest ideas ever) were turned into heroic guarantees (with flashing lights so even the dumbest of the dumb could figure them out).   I know as an MMO Vet (since 1997) we all have the dream of the best, most in-depth, complex, skill based and player skill based game coming onto the market.   Problem is, that will never happen.  In a world where everyone is a "victim" how can we even imagine an online world that is any different.
  • ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

Originally posted by broadzilla

Be default, the client lets you move with the mouse (in addition to key-based movement). You press both mouse buttons at once and it moves your character forward.

I have not tried to re-map that, since I got used to W-A-S-D in COH so it doesn't bother me. (Though in fact Ryzom defaults to the arrow keys, so I remapped it from arrow to WASD).

C
  • RytzRytz Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Kethrym
    The original SWG had a decent amount of Subs for the time.   Pre-Cu seemed to be too  complicated for the average 14-18 year old to figure out.  Thus the the change.   You can't mass market a game that takes a brain to play.   Look at every single MMO on the market.  If you can't learn the basics in 5 min the kids cry and the adults suffer.   Take EQ2 Beta as an example.  Heroic Opportunities (in my mind one of the coolest ideas ever) were turned into heroic guarantees (with flashing lights so even the dumbest of the dumb could figure them out).   I know as an MMO Vet (since 1997) we all have the dream of the best, most in-depth, complex, skill based and player skill based game coming onto the market.   Problem is, that will never happen.  In a world where everyone is a "victim" how can we even imagine an online world that is any different.

Very nice post.  100% true, even though it makes me want to puke. 
    Personally, I think they still could have run a classic server with a
    skeleton crew for bug fixes.  They could have made a good amount of
    money off of it too.  Maybe even charge more than normal.

SOE probably had nothing to do with that decision, being that they
    weren't the final say (not the IP holder, whereas in EQ they were). 
    Plus, who the hell would really play the NGE over classic Pre-CU SWG?
    Or even CU?  Not I...
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    There is no reason. What people would this system attract, now that WoW has sucked in the majority of the MMO crowd and polluted their minds with simple linear gameplay, AWOL storyline, and shitty class choises, its a lost cause.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• DarthoriousDarthorious Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Actually they are...

There are at least 3 in development right now using skill systems like SWG pre-cu no charecter level and instead of square boxes for skills it's shaped in an octagon on one of them and there are talks about several more on the drawing board who are using pre-cu style skill boxes...

Can't remember which ones but their all listed here under games in development.

All I remember is there was 2 of them coming out within the next year or so and one other may or may not come out around 2008.   I'm too lazy to click all the games again so check for yourself lol...

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Darthorious
    Actually they are...

There are at least 3 in development right now using skill systems like SWG pre-cu no charecter level and instead of square boxes for skills it's shaped in an octagon on one of them and there are talks about several more on the drawing board who are using pre-cu style skill boxes...

Can't remember which ones but their all listed here under games in development.

All I remember is there was 2 of them coming out within the next year or so and one other may or may not come out around 2008.   I'm too lazy to click all the games again so check for yourself lol...

If anyone figures out the games, could they please post the names.  Esp if any of them have the strong non-combat/ social roles that SWG once had.