Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think I'm slipping...

KuzzleKuzzle Member Posts: 1,058

Math that I used to be able to do in my head, I now have to write out. I lose words that I use every day, right in the middle of a conversation. I cannot focus, and I occasionally find myself unable to do my schoolwork, regardless of the fact that it's the same stuff that was once so easy. I often slip up and say the wrong words without thinking about it. Before, people have said that I had a way with words... A way which I now think that I am losing.

Things that once upset me, I no longer seem to care about. There's this kid, he's about 6'5" tall, and he's described himself as a "proud redneck"... If anything, he's mildly annoying. Anyway, when I finally got the opportunity to talk to this girl that I wanted to talk to... I was talking to her, and he comes up, stares at her thigh and goes "Whoa!" Both me and her just stare at him like he just said something extremely stupid, because, really, he had. Then he points out that she has a pin on her pants that says "Whoa!" and we're both like "Oh, ok..." and turn back to each other. Then he starts rambling on about how he had a pin that had a "mood meter", or some such thing on it, and how it was always over on the "pissed off" side for him. I thought this was a little ridiculous, since the only time I'd seen him anything but happy, he was just slightly miffed, Anyway, he goes on about how if I were wearing it, the damn thing'd get pinned on the "pissed off" side, since I have a bit of a temper. He was insulting me, but I found myself unable to whipe the grin off my face. I don't know if it was because he was ridiculous, or what. It was... strange, as anyone who knows me knows that I very rarely smile.

I'm confused...

Comments

• How old are you, and for how long has this lack of focus and detachment been going on?
  • KuzzleKuzzle Member Posts: 1,058

Originally posted by Sawtooth
    How old are you, and for how long has this lack of focus and detachment been going on?

I'm 17, and for about a couple of weeks.
  • If it's only been a few weeks I wouldn't freak out too badly. You could be run down or over stressed or just feeling wierd. If it goes on like this for more than several months you might seek professional help. I only say this because it's about your age that certain mental disorders crop up.

If it's only been a few weeks it's not a glaring warning sign or anything.
  • Cheeseman162Cheeseman162 Member Posts: 231

I want to make conjecture about what could be wrong, especially with a lack of emotion going on about, but I don't want to put any pressure, or perhaps bring about some hypochandria and make you think you have it.  EDIT: Just wait a bit like Sawtooth said and see what happens. If it persists for several months, then I'll probably make a firm guess.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

• LanmoragonLanmoragon Member Posts: 994
    I sorta feel like that sometimes Kuzzle.  More often than not if I get really wasted one weeked or the rare times that I smoke I feel out of it for like a week, which is why I dont do it often.  But your thing seems a little more serious than that.  Like somebody else said if it goes on for a while longer I would recommend at least asking a doctor.  Whats the harm?

Well, my dad's setting up a doctor's appointment for me sometime next week, so I'll ask then. He'll probably just say "Oh, it's nothing." or something, though. Doctor's up here have a habit of, like, not thinking things that aren't injuries are serious. Well, that was poorly worded, but I do hope you got my meaning.

Anyway, yeah... I'm also being made to go see some sort of psycologist, or whatever, so I might ask them. At least, I'll bring it up, anyway...

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117
    you getting enough sleep mate? it could be something as simple as that. I remember you posting about a potential move, you still stressing over that situation?

Originally posted by Tamalan
    you getting enough sleep mate? it could be something as simple as that. I remember you posting about a potential move, you still stressing over that situation?

I'm getting around 7 hours a night, more on weekends.

My dad already said that he turned the job down. Don't think I'd really be stressing about that at this point, anyway, as I've found myself all but wishing he hadn't turned it down. Still, realizing that I'd formed no ties was a bit of a... let-down? Yeah... Not stressed about it anymore, though.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Please, don't see a psychiatrist. I have known people that permanently destroyed their brain chemistry by taking prescription drugs for mental ailments. You should only see a psychiatrist as a last resort; a psychologist is also not meant to deal with such potentially serious physical maladies.

If I were you, I'd get 8+ hours of sleep a day, use stress-reducing techniques and monitor myself for the next few weeks.

If it gets any worse, then you should see a neurologist. Don't bother with a GP, as they will just refer to you one that they have connections with; seek the best neurologist in your area.

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

Originally posted by //\//\oo

Please, don't see a psychiatrist. I have known people that permanently destroyed their brain chemistry by taking prescription drugs for mental ailments. You should only see a psychiatrist as a last resort; a psychologist is also not meant to deal with such potentially serious physical maladies.
    If I were you, I'd get 8+ hours of sleep a day, use stress-reducing techniques and monitor myself for the next few weeks.
    If it gets any worse, then you should see a neurologist. Don't bother with a GP, as they will just refer to you one that they have connections with; seek the best neurologist in your area.

I'm going to a GP because thaqt's far from my only problem. The psyco-whatever person, I'm being made to go see again for a suicide evaluation. Mention one little thing to my father, he blabs at a meeting with the school, and this happens. Damn school... Anyway, at least it's someone I know, and she's way hot... too bad she's married, eh? Ah well. Anyway, yeah, if things get worse, I'll request a meeting with a neurologist.

(Edit: Oh, and I don't take drugs prescribed to me by psychiatrists and stuff anymore. The old one that I used to go to said I was depressed and tried putting me on everything under the sun. He was a balding old jackass. This new person understands that I don't want to take drugs that affect my mind, and hasn't prescribed any.)

• SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094
    I suggest changing your diet, I seriously feel hundreds of times better mentaly since I started eating properly it really helps alot and doesnt have any side effect other then getting healthy. I got no clue what you eat but it really plays a big deal on a persons body chemistry, I recomend lots of fruits& veges and stack up on omega3 thats very good for the brain. I do not drink pop at all and stay away from refined sugars whenever I can and after a while you really notice a differance.

{(RIP)} SWG

Originally posted by Slickinfinit
    I suggest changing your diet, I seriously feel hundreds of times better mentaly since I started eating properly it really helps alot and doesnt have any side effect other then getting healthy. I got no clue what you eat but it really plays a big deal on a persons body chemistry, I recomend lots of fruits& veges and stack up on omega3 thats very good for the brain. I do not drink pop at all and stay away from refined sugars whenever I can and after a while you really notice a differance.

I don't drink soda, and I only have a small amount of candy every few days. Mostly just gums and mints and stuff. I don't eat all that much fresh fruit, because when I send my dad to the store to pick up "Whatever fruit looks like it's in season", he comes back with four rockhard nectarines(Which I hate anyway) and a funky old honeydew. I swear, I don't know how he made it to 40.

Vegetables... Well, I can't cook very well, but I try to incorperate vegetables into stuff whenever I cook. I eat more Subway than I probably should, as there's one just across the street from my school, but my diet's pretty good, I think. I mean, I haven't had a donut in months! And sure, every now and then I slip up and have some pizza, or whatever, but it's well within the normal range. I mean, I need to lose some weight, so I've been watching what I eat, but more subtle changes than drastic ones.

I do eat a Clif Bar for breakfast more often than I should, but that's 'cause it's something that I can grab while I'm running out of the house, and I'm late for school rather frequently. No big problems with my diet, though... at least, I don't see any.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    I know enough about psychology to have an opinion but not enough to give you proper advice.

BUT!

Medication should always be the last option and should almost always be temporary.  If the first thing your shrink says is "let's get a pschiatrist to put you on some psychotropic drugs," then my suggestion is find a new psychologist.

You need to change your outlook to some extent, some find religion, some find causes, and some find inner strength through insight about yourself and the world.

Right now your filled to the brim with hormones and they do effect your thinking.  Just try to relax, you have easly 50 years left on your life and no mistake now will really set you back (unless you commit a felony).  Also remember everything changes, one day your in the lowest valley and the next day your on the highest mountain, "Shit will get better."

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo
    I know enough about psychology to have an opinion but not enough to give you proper advice.

BUT!

Medication should always be the last option and should almost always be temporary.  If the first thing your shrink says is "let's get a pschiatrist to put you on some psychotropic drugs," then my suggestion is find a new psychologist.

You need to change your outlook to some extent, some find religion, some find causes, and some find inner strength through insight about yourself and the world.

Right now your filled to the brim with hormones and they do effect your thinking.  Just try to relax, you have easly 50 years left on your life and no mistake now will really set you back (unless you commit a felony).  Also remember everything changes, one day your in the lowest valley and the next day your on the highest mountain, "Shit will get better."

Yeah, that's why I don't see that jackass anymore.

If you need religion, there's something wrong with you, and you need help. If you simply agree with it, however, go for it. *shrug* Just don't preach, and I'm fine with it. Still not for me, though.

"Inner strength"... Yeah, well, I had that, but you can only fight for so long, right? Huh...

I'm not 13, my hormones are pretty much in check at this point. I'm not one of those idiots that runs around going "Boobs are great!" or some other such nonsense, nor am I especially confrontational. Still, I understand that part of what you're saying, and for the fact that it's valid, I must say that it sucks.

"Shit" hasn't gotten better in a long time, but I'm working on it...

Don't really know why you posted some of the stuff you did, but I tried to respond to it as well as I could.

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

everybody has temporary lapses in personality, it can be anything from stress, to hormone imbalance(especially at your age)

It's nothing to worry about.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

Originally posted by Kuzzle

Yeah, that's why I don't see that jackass anymore.

If you need religion, there's something wrong with you, and you need help. If you simply agree with it, however, go for it. *shrug* Just don't preach, and I'm fine with it. Still not for me, though.

"Inner strength"... Yeah, well, I had that, but you can only fight for so long, right? Huh...

I'm not 13, my hormones are pretty much in check at this point. I'm not one of those idiots that runs around going "Boobs are great!" or some other such nonsense, nor am I especially confrontational. Still, I understand that part of what you're saying, and for the fact that it's valid, I must say that it sucks.

"Shit" hasn't gotten better in a long time, but I'm working on it...

Don't really know why you posted some of the stuff you did, but I tried to respond to it as well as I could.

Well one, inner strength has nothing to do with fighting anything, more about experience, knowledge, acceptance, and understanding.

Second, your body/mind are still adjusting to adulthood even if your hormone levels have leveled off.

Third, shit will get better as you age and when you get more years a long time equates to a different amount based upon that perspective.

Fourth, I only know what little you post so I'm trying to be as general as possible with you.  I am not your brother, close friend, or some other personal contact.  Since it seems you are dealing with some depressive symptoms I needed to give you general and varied advice in dealing with it.

Just trying to help.

---And some (NOT ALL) people need religion.  I'm not one of them, but I know others that do.  I was just throwing that out there if you were one of them, your not so ignore.  I'm not trying to save people from the devil, only themselves

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    Don't do drugs! They're bad for you. *snickers*

Originally posted by Xexima
    Don't do drugs! They're bad for you. *snickers*

I'm one of the few people in this town that doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs. A friend of mine was recently sent to rehab, though.

Well one, inner strength has nothing to do with fighting anything, more about experience, knowledge, acceptance, and understanding.

---And some (NOT ALL) people need religion.  I'm not one of them, but I know others that do.  I was just throwing that out there if you were one of them, your not so ignore.  I'm not trying to save people from the devil, only themselves

Well, physical strength doesn't necessarily have anything to do with fighting, either, but if you fight long enough, you'll fatigue. Just trying to make what I said make some sense.

I don't think anyone needs religion, unless they just can't deal with reality. Otherwise, they might just agree with it, which is different. See what I'm trying to say? It's worded poorly, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'll try another analogy: It's like drinking; If you need to drink, you've got a problem, but if you just happen to like drinking, it's not really a problem. See? Well, I tried.

(P.S. I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I've said. That was not my intention...)

• ThispersonThisperson Member Posts: 129

Nevermind, read your last post...

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

It could be any number of things.

Try getting 8 hours of sleep, I believe that's the 'official' number for a best possible night's rest. You might have been stressed about talking to that girl. It might be school if you just started school again for the year like most teenagers.

Honestly it really could be anything. If you're worried about your nutrition, just grab a multivitamin at the local health-food store or pharmacy. I don't go in for all that health food bullcrap (for reasons I won't go into now), but a multivitamin won't hurt ya.

The doctor will probably tell you it could be any number of things too. I know you said doctors where you are have a reputation for downplaying things, but I think that's most doctors, lol. Doctors are great if you got something broken or a whole in you. However, when it comes to more subtle things that don't give clearcut causes and answers, doctors end up doing a bit of guesswork. They are great at their jobs but sometimes they can only give you their best guess.

Don't worry too much until it persists for like 2 months or more. My only other suggestion might be take 30 minutes to just relax every day and let your brain go on it's merry way for a bit.

Edit: just wanted to add to your comment about people not needing religion. I don't think it's like needing alcohol. Needing religion isn't a problem. What everyone does need in their life is some hope. Religion can bring that hope for a lot of people. You may not need a specific religious construct to fulfill you spiritually, but everyone needs to be able to work out their relationship with the universe.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

Originally posted by Kuzzle

Well, physical strength doesn't necessarily have anything to do with fighting, either, but if you fight long enough, you'll fatigue. Just trying to make what I said make some sense.

I don't think anyone needs religion, unless they just can't deal with reality. Otherwise, they might just agree with it, which is different. See what I'm trying to say? It's worded poorly, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'll try another analogy: It's like drinking; If you need to drink, you've got a problem, but if you just happen to like drinking, it's not really a problem. See? Well, I tried.

(P.S. I hope I didn't offend anyone with what I've said. That was not my intention...)

I really am iffy about discussing this in fear it will start a flame war.  I'm not on one side or the other in this issue and I see the valid arguments of both sides and see niether side as wrong or right, but here we go.

Some people need spirituality, religion is the wrong word I guess.  Here is an example:

In AA, Alcoholic Anonomous, the member acknowledge that they have no control over their addiction and need a greater power to help them.  Examples:

Step 2. Came to believe that a power greater then ourselves could restore us our sanity.

Step 3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to God how we understand him.

Ect, I'm not going to list all of the steps that deal with submittance to the will of a god/greater power.

These people need to believe in something greater so that they can deal with their problems.  Some people just need to believe that there is a greater meaning to the universe or their lives are not fulfilled.  This is not bad or good, it is just a difference.

Now personally I think AA is dangerous.  Believing that you are powerless is not palatable to me.  But what am I going to say to a recovering alcoholic who did'nt have a drink in 30 years?  That the Ideology that helped them deal with their addiction is wrong?  That they are weak (which would just enforce their belief anyways)?

What am I going to say to a reformed convict that turned to Islam or Christ and has not committed a crime since that conversion?

That is my whole point in saying that some need spirituality/religion.  Some people need to believe that something else is guiding them in their lives and is watching over them.