Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current state and accessiblity

How is SWG doing these days... well, I'v already read a lot about its current state. I played way back pre-cu before any expansions came out and loved it. I want to know how it is for someone to start a new player.  More importantly, how is the crafting. Would someone with no other character or friends in SWG be able to survive and have fun with a crafting porfession?

Are most items now gained through loot and all the shops that recieve any business run by vets with a plethora of resources?

Im thinking of joining the SWG community again but dont want to be descuraged after a few months by not being able to get anywhere... Im not really interested in any combat classes or swinging a light sabre around.

Comments

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

Originally posted by Richh
    How is SWG doing these days... well, I'v already read a lot about its current state. I played way back pre-cu before any expansions came out and loved it. I want to know how it is for someone to start a new player.  More importantly, how is the crafting. Would someone with no other character or friends in SWG be able to survive and have fun with a crafting porfession?

Are most items now gained through loot and all the shops that recieve any business run by vets with a plethora of resources?

Im thinking of joining the SWG community again but dont want to be descuraged after a few months by not being able to get anywhere... Im not really interested in any combat classes or swinging a light sabre around.

Glad you asked.

It's a completely different game now. It's no longer a player driven economy. Crafting's useless. Everyone's using looted equipment now. With no other character and no friends, I doubt you'd get anywhere at all, to be honest. All of your items and equipment are looted, or given to you as you level up. The shops are now just alts used to sell looted goods.

You could make a Jedi alt, and in a few hours you'd make enough money to buy a decent amount of resources. But... There's really no point to it.

If you're only looking to craft, this is not the game for you.
  • BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by Bissrok

Glad you asked.

It's a completely different game now. It's no longer a player driven economy. Crafting's useless. Everyone's using looted equipment now. With no other character and no friends, I doubt you'd get anywhere at all, to be honest. All of your items and equipment are looted, or given to you as you level up. The shops are now just alts used to sell looted goods.

You could make a Jedi alt, and in a few hours you'd make enough money to buy a decent amount of resources. But... There's really no point to it.

Richh,

Crafting is not useless. Stuff is made and sold everyday. By far, right now, Shipwrights have the majority of the market since they can RE items on top of creating things. Resource vendors also make a good living. Best thing as a starting crafter and player is to get involved in a guild and they can help you progress.

As far as starting a new player goes, its as easy as it has always been. Difference now is that there are a series of quests you can do to level you up, get you the items you need to start off with and put a good chunck of change in your pocket by level 30.

Best thing to do is try the game out yourself and see if it is the game for you. You are going to get both ends of the spectrum on this and the vets board, love it and hate it, from former players and current players alike. Give it a shot and see for yourself.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• RichhRichh Member Posts: 28
    How about Munitions, Weapon or Armor crafting. Thats what Im really interested in at the moment. If nothing is worth buying for other players it seems like a big time dump with no reward. I hear a little bit about crafting update in the next patch. Does anyone have deeper knowlege on this update?
    I'd like to know if its worth while. Especially from someone who may have recently tried to make a crafter. 

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

How about Munitions, Weapon or Armor crafting. Thats what Im really interested in at the moment. If nothing is worth buying for other players it seems like a big time dump with no reward. I hear a little bit about crafting update in the next patch. Does anyone have deeper knowlege on this update?
    I'd like to know if its worth while. Especially from someone who may have recently tried to make a crafter. 

Munitions (specifically Armoursmith) is very viable profession too.  I spend at least 50% of my ingame time on my Armoursmith crafter filling orders and restocking my vendors with new goods.  Crafted armour is superior to looted armour in resists by at least 1-2k.  However, like anytime in the games period, starting as a crafter can be hard as you have to compete with those established crafters and try and aquire resources as good as they're using (which aren't cheap).  Best way to get around that is find what the market is lacking (on Chilastra for instance that would be Wookie and Ithorian armour) and make your name there.

The crafting side of the game is to be revamped with the next publish which should make crafted goods much more competitive against their looted options (a problem at the moment for weapons) and hopefully bring some new content to the crafter side of the game which has mostly been left untouched for the last 3 years.

• RichhRichh Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Obraik

Munitions (specifically Armoursmith) is very viable profession too.  I spend at least 50% of my ingame time on my Armoursmith crafter filling orders and restocking my vendors with new goods.  Crafted armour is superior to looted armour in resists by at least 1-2k.  However, like anytime in the games period, starting as a crafter can be hard as you have to compete with those established crafters and try and aquire resources as good as they're using (which aren't cheap).  Best way to get around that is find what the market is lacking (on Chilastra for instance that would be Wookie and Ithorian armour) and make your name there.

The crafting side of the game is to be revamped with the next publish which should make crafted goods much more competitive against their looted options (a problem at the moment for weapons) and hopefully bring some new content to the crafter side of the game which has mostly been left untouched for the last 3 years.

Another concern is the population. I dont mind competing against the vets, so long as there is a market for the lower quality crafted stuff... It seems like there is a very low new player population so the demand for lower level or lower quality (cheaper) gear is not there.  If everything a player needs is provided by quests and loot while leveling, then how would someone like myslef survive.
  • BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002

The servers and the bazaar are both empty, even on Bria. The only occupied city is Mos Eisley. I played for a month and none of my guys ever needed anything off the market. God knows I looked. Every time I went to the bazaar, I found a handful of guns that weren't half as powerful as what I had on me.

I made a fortune in a few hours with a Jedi. With a small fraction of that I bought enough resources to last me a week. But, again, there's no point to it. But if you wanna grind out Gungan heads for a few weeks, feel free.

Originally posted by Obraik

Another concern is the population. I dont mind competing against the vets, so long as there is a market for the lower quality crafted stuff... It seems like there is a very low new player population so the demand for lower level or lower quality (cheaper) gear is not there.  If everything a player needs is provided by quests and loot while leveling, then how would someone like myslef survive.

Well, that's the other thing.  Other then having to be level 22 to wear armour, there's nothing to stop a low level from using advanced armour.  They can have all the protection of a level 90 with no downfalls.  There are 3 tiers of armour cores, so hopefully with chapter 4 they'll implement some sort of level restriction for each tier so those new to the armoursmith profession can have a market too.  The first 2 tiers of cores are obviously cheaper to make then the advanced stuff so you would be able to sell armour made by those cores at a cheaper rate and like at the high end, the armour you make will be better then the armour they're looting at their level.

The new player population is picking up, Eisley is generally pretty busy.

The servers and the bazaar are both empty, even on Bria. The only occupied city is Mos Eisley. I played for a month and none of my guys ever needed anything off the market. God knows I looked. Every time I went to the bazaar, I found a handful of guns that weren't half as powerful as what I had on me.
    I made a fortune in a few hours with a Jedi. With a small fraction of that I bought enough resources to last me a week. But, again, there's no point to it. But if you wanna grind out Gungan heads for a few weeks, feel free.

Be sure to use the Vendor tab...and have Entire Galaxy selected ;)

• UnagiUnagi Member Posts: 99

Glad you asked.

One thing to keep in mind is that with Chapter 3 now gone live, the devs will be turning their sights on the crafters.  Chapter 4 is supposed to be the long-awaited Trader revamp, with reverse engineering for the ground game and who knows what else.  Could be an exciting time for a crafter to get back in if that's your scene.

• akevvakevv Member Posts: 208

I wouldn't click that resub button just yet. They (SOE) has proven once again that they have learned nothing fromt eh NGE with the new GCW ranks. Stripped of any remnants of the old ranks and now artificially gated progress means they haven't respected anything we have said in the last year.

Traders are about to be WoW'd. It might be candy coated and promised to be evolutionary, but it won't be anything we have seen in SWG before. Helios could not design an original game element to save his life. Don't count on traders surviving Chap 4. They will be:

1. Integrated as a secondary profession

2. Dumbed down so severely that no one will want to dedicate a character to them

3. Resources collected WILL be destroyed, making current inventories and components useless

Akevv Ostone
    No Longer SWG Free :(