Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-CU WoW?

The morphing of SWG into the NGE was not the best decision because of it's effect on the current players. I think we can all agree on that? Well that took a rich virtual world and reduced it to something far less complex. The comparison of NGE-SWG and WoW has been made to death. I was wondering, what would happen the other way around? What if WoW was quickly changed into a virtual world (assuming massive bugs didn't follow)? Would the change itself be enough or is it the direction of the thing that counts more?

I think we're all fairly familiar with the ideas I'm using here and assumed much further explanation wasn't needed.

Comments

• TeranHawkinsTeranHawkins Member Posts: 279
    I cant see WoW making any drastic changes like that with their sub base continuing to soar.  I do think if WoW were to do something like that hypothetically they would lose huge numbers of the younger crowd(ie: the 13 year olds).  The younger gamers just dont have the patience for the more complex game systems that pre cu SWG had.
  • RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Um, changing an MMO is bad. Period.

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

Here are the things you really can't do...

Don't make powerful items weak.

Don't make rare hard to get items common.

Don't take character abilities away.

Don't take character progress away.

Don't invalidate playstyles.

As long as you add things to your game with those thoughts in mind your players won't be too upset.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Rekrul
    Um, changing an MMO is bad. Period.

Twice.... even worse.

Blizzard isn't run by idiots, that'll never hapen.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by Vastar
    The morphing of SWG into the NGE was not the best decision because of it's effect on the current players. I think we can all agree on that? Well that took a rich virtual world and reduced it to something far less complex. The comparison of NGE-SWG and WoW has been made to death. I was wondering, what would happen the other way around? What if WoW was quickly changed into a virtual world (assuming massive bugs didn't follow)? Would the change itself be enough or is it the direction of the thing that counts more?

I think we're all fairly familiar with the ideas I'm using here and assumed much further explanation wasn't needed.

heh That's a fun idea: Blizzard dumps all existing classes for a 32 profession, skill based system. Player housing and cities added. Players become dependant on each other and crafters are the only place you can get any significant amount useful equipment. All "epics" become house decorations...

I'd start installing WoW again as soon as they made the announcement! lol Good thing for Blizzard they aren't stupid enough to throw away all of their current subscribers.

• omni40omni40 Member Posts: 22
    i play wow now. i whould love it hahahahahah if they mase it more like swg hahahahah. give me players citys
  • Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

If WoW did a CUNGE they too would lose 3/4ths of their sub base and collapse.

Blizzard couldn't be that dumb.  They aren't SOE.

• LilTLilT Member Posts: 631

Originally posted by KillerJimmy

heh That's a fun idea: Blizzard dumps all existing classes for a 32 profession, skill based system. Player housing and cities added. Players become dependant on each other and crafters are the only place you can get any significant amount useful equipment. All "epics" become house decorations...

I'd start installing WoW again as soon as they made the announcement! lol Good thing for Blizzard they aren't stupid enough to throw away all of their current subscribers.

That part there would be the killer. lol could you imagine.....

Blizzard would never do it. They're too smart. If they wanted to make a sandbox game, they'd leave Wow as is and make something like World of Starcraft.

For the Horde!

• EmEyEmEEmEyEmE Member Posts: 8

nge destroyed swg thats f basic...

now they are making these pvp war's to make the game stand

and they ruined the faction standngs now you have to fight for some gcw points

they are making a all new game....

with only 9 or so professions

but they are throwing the expertise in at least....

wich makes jedi's unstoppable and there like 75% jedi around lol at least in lowca

the bounty hunter expertise suxks

and well....i really don't get that smuggler profession

but alll that expertise is like the talent thing on wow...

im sorry i sound akward just gettings off my chest lol

• shockadocshockadoc Member Posts: 4
    WoS? hmmm.. that could prove to be interesing.... PROTOSS FTW!