Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rank USED to have a meaning...

(i am an IMP in game so ill write rebel as the oposing faction instead or writing "oposing faction all the time)

now to attain ranks and faction you have to  kill rebel NPC or Special Ops players. therefore if you do not like PvP then you go and kill NPC while you remain ON DUTY status. so you can go and kill 1 million lvl 10 rebels and still gain rank instead of 5 or 6 lvl 90 rebels. none the less you kill NPC

so you gain rank by killing NPC... .. well i also kill NPC, they are called durnies or banthas or tusken raiders... they are all NPC.. so yeah AWSOME your a COLONEL!!!

and?

so whats your point?

in the old days faction and ranks had a meaning. if you where covert then you where safe from PVP attacks (which in my opinion are harder than killing npc) you are safe but gain no faction... unless you attack a rebel!, NPC yes you will now gain some faction. but this time you will also get a TEF (for you NGEkids its a temporary enemy flag) now any one including players or NPC of the oposing faction can attack you.

or you where overt and any one (player or NPC) can attack you.

so in this system gaining faction meant that you can survive in a danger status. being a colonel means 1. you killed alot while in a TEF (meaning danger status) or killed alot in PVP. either way you where putting yourself in danger to gain those ranks

and those of you who say "i can beat any one with my UBER template lolz roxor i pwn you all"

well try to survive alone when you have a guild hunting wtv... kaadu... and they see you... i dotn know any profession that cna stand alone versus 20 enemies in pvp. even a jedi will have to force run away from that.

so to conclude, yes this new system works great... but the old TEF system has to come back. i have never seen any other pvp system work as good.

the TEF system that allows players who want to pvp and those who do not want to pvp do so. but at the same time it keeps the non pvpers in order. they will not go and attack something that will give them a TEF. cuz they know what will hapen to them. gives them a sence of danger without forcing them to actually PvP.

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Jedi worked this way also......

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• FreelancerA4FreelancerA4 Member Posts: 145

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Yeah, so did combat, and our professions, and our money (both in and out of the game), and our in-game possessions, and our community...

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by FreelancerA4

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Yeah, so did combat, and our professions, and our money (both in and out of the game), and our in-game possessions, and our community...

true but this is with relation to the new faction revamp. i am well aware of that SWG was part of the secret to the meaning of life

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth
    Jedi worked this way also......

jedi system was like an upgrade to challenge over the overt/TEF system.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438
    Don't forget that you could buy faction from Smugglers also. So really, Colonel wasn't worth crap. At least in the current system you have to work for it. No buying faction in the game now.
  • suskesuske Member Posts: 714
    swg IS rank as in stinky
  • ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Are we talking about ranks or TEFs?  Seems like TEFs to me...which prevented those that wanted nothing to do with PvP from having anything to do with the GCW.  In their case, they were in a Star Wars world but stuck attacking creatures and non-faction NPCs.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643
    Y'know, rank was never all that valuable as far as I understood it.  To command some pets you needed certain ranks, but that was about it.  That, and trying the ol' /slap on the stormtroopers.  Faction pets were never that great excepting AT-STs for periods, I used my various stormies as distractions, they weren't worth much more since I seriously out-damaged them.  I seem to recall there was one point where they could pull individual mobs out of groups without aggroing the whole group, but that was short-lived.    I never really felt like GCW rank was developed like it could/should have been, but then again we can probably say that for quite a bit of the game.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

And ye the rank was earnteth.

And ye the rank was takeneth away.

And the small room of decision makers did chuckle into their coffees at their stupidity.

And a handful of players in capital cities everywhere rejoiced at the very Star Wowsy ness of their game.

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,
    Proud FORMER Master CH...
    my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy