Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The LIE of Balancing CH & Pets

2»

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by haxxjoo
    good post Fad.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• AmnestieAmnestie Member UncommonPosts: 24

"Did they ever add the ability to fight while riding a mount?  I seem to recall being able to defend (auto attack kicked in) when I was attacked, but not use any specials.  Though I could be totally wrong and it never actually happened, and if it did, it didn't last very long.  This would all be pre-NGE."

This is how I remember the combat on mounts as well. You could not use any special attacks on the mount but you could auto attack. I don't think you could heal on mounts either.

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by Obee

Did they ever add the ability to fight while riding a mount?  I seem to recall being able to defend (auto attack kicked in) when I was attacked, but not use any specials.  Though I could be totally wrong and it never actually happened, and if it did, it didn't last very long.  This would all be pre-NGE.

Pre-cu you could attack while riding a mount and then it was disabled when the CU hit.

I always thought it was a mistake to remove that during the CU.  Being able to attack from mounts and not speeders gave a reason to have mounts.  Oh well.
  • suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by PyscoJuggalo

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    Because the DevilSmed speaks with a forked tongue.

As was said on these forums:

The power of Raph compels you!

Foul Smedley, leave this innocent MMORPG alone, go back to the depths of hell from where came!

The power of Raph compels you!

may the raph be with us, for he is not with nge
  • KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Originally posted by KenshuAni

Did they ever add the ability to fight while riding a mount?  I seem to recall being able to defend (auto attack kicked in) when I was attacked, but not use any specials.  Though I could be totally wrong and it never actually happened, and if it did, it didn't last very long.  This would all be pre-NGE.

Pre-cu you could attack while riding a mount and then it was disabled when the CU hit.

I always thought it was a mistake to remove that during the CU.  Being able to attack from mounts and not speeders gave a reason to have mounts.  Oh well.

It's giving the SWG team too much credit to say they "made a mistake", because that implies a deliberate action.

They didn't give CH enough thought to actually remove that in the CU, they just removed the Default Ranged Attack, and since that was the only attack you could use while mounted, that also removed the ability to attack while mounted.  It was just the classic SWG cluster-frack where they made a change without even considering the consequences for other professions (same way the creature level changes for the CU hosed CH's completely, but not intentionally).

At the end of the day, the guys who removed CH from SWG removed it because they didn't like CH, didn't want to play CH, and didn't understand people who wanted to.  This is the cardinal sin of this dev team and especially their bosses, Smed and Torres:  they don't even begin to understand their customer, certainly not the several hundred thousand people who bought the original SWG, and apparently not anybody else since.

The insulting part is that they constantly imply that this is somehow the customer's fault.  The arrogance of it really makes you want to slap somebody.  Like any executive in ANY business, they fail because they just don't understand their customer and just don't make a good product that the customer likes as a result.  How they've clung to their jobs with the dismal failure they've produced out of one of the most recognized brands in global commerce is beyond me.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by KzinKiller

It's giving the SWG team too much credit to say they "made a mistake", because that implies a deliberate action.

They didn't give CH enough thought to actually remove that in the CU, they just removed the Default Ranged Attack, and since that was the only attack you could use while mounted, that also removed the ability to attack while mounted.  It was just the classic SWG cluster-frack where they made a change without even considering the consequences for other professions (same way the creature level changes for the CU hosed CH's completely, but not intentionally).

No, they removed autoattack. In its place they put in Ranged Attack and Melee Attack. Although these had no bonus to damage or anything else, they were still actually special attacks. And since it has never been allowed to use specials while mounted, naturally they didn't work either.
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

At the end of the day, the guys who removed CH from SWG removed it because they didn't like CH, didn't want to play CH, and didn't understand people who wanted to.  This is the cardinal sin of this dev team and especially their bosses, Smed and Torres:  they don't even begin to understand their customer, certainly not the several hundred thousand people who bought the original SWG, and apparently not anybody else since.

The insulting part is that they constantly imply that this is somehow the customer's fault.  The arrogance of it really makes you want to slap somebody.  Like any executive in ANY business, they fail because they just don't understand their customer and just don't make a good product that the customer likes as a result.  How they've clung to their jobs with the dismal failure they've produced out of one of the most recognized brands in global commerce is beyond me.

Well said...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

Originally posted by CasualMaker

No, they removed autoattack. In its place they put in Ranged Attack and Melee Attack. Although these had no bonus to damage or anything else, they were still actually special attacks. And since it has never been allowed to use specials while mounted, naturally they didn't work either.

I stand corrected ... it all boils down to 'every attack is a special, and no specials while mounted, so you're screwed'

Really annoyed the hell outta me.  The view from atop a Brackaset while rifle-blasting your PvE targets at long range was excellent ... just enjoyed watching it.  For ANY kind of PvP combat, mounted combat was totally useless, it wasn't unbalancing in any way .... but obviously it had to go?  Rrrrr.

[gah, this FRACKING message editor]

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643
    $OE could always just rip WoW off again, pets and Hunte........  er, CH would work fine then.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Originally posted by kaibigan34

Not completely.... Ranger and scout gave alot of extras in PVP. Camps off the battlefield helped in buffs. Especially if you were attacking a town. Drop a camp so the doctors could buff everyone before the battles.

And Rangers..... Well I was constantly called upon to track enemy players in a battle. And I didnt have to go overt either. I would just stand in front of a starport or other site everyone knew the location of. Then call out in group each enemy player, distance and direction. Surprised those rebels more then once doing that. They tried a sneak attack on Theed once. Came in from the south to see twice as many overt Imperials waiting for them. Cut them down quick.

As for CH balance. After you have to fight one a few times, you learn how to combat them quite easily and they become virtually useless in PVP. See a Rancor or Graul? Go after the handler and kill him first.

Kai

Okay, you've convinced me to consider Scout/Ranger as "combat prep support" professions.  That still keeps them out of the 'proffesions needing to be balanced against each other' group.

Ranger tracking could turn the tide of any battle. Almost like having a jedi would turn the tide of a battle. Long as the other side doesnt have one as well, your side will most likely win the battle. Because a ranger can tell his group where the enemy is. And being covert means they cant ever stop you from tracking.

Easy thing to master. Typing fast is the only real hitch. First thing you do is stand near a known icon. Such as the front of a starport or cantina. This way everyone in your group knows the distance and direction your calling out is from that spot. Dont move around. Then hit player tracking. Start typing names, distance and direction. Example: Rebelnamehere 380m SE.

When your side knows where the enemy is and has a chance to prepare but the enemy doesnt..... Its a mean tactic to be sure.

Another mean thing you can do if you have alot more time. Dantooine: a group of rebels were in their player city and overt. We knew, through a spy, they were planning on hitting the Imp Outpost. Even knew which direction they were going to come in. So I camoed several of my side and they hid in or near graul lairs or grauls themselves overt. Rebels didnt see them on radar. So when they approached they got some nice skirmish damage before they ever made it to the outpost.

Another tactic rangers were good at with PVP was pulling mobs into a fray. Again on Dantooine I pulled 4 frenzied grauls to one side of the outpost while the battle was going on. When the rebels tried to retreat they ran smack into them. Of course it takes perfect timing. And alot of traps. Only successfully pulled that tactic off 3 times. And had to sacrifice myself in the process. But it was worth it.

Kai

• KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by kaibigan34
    Ranger tracking could turn the tide of any battle. Almost like having a jedi would turn the tide of a battle. Long as the other side doesnt have one as well, your side will most likely win the battle. Because a ranger can tell his group where the enemy is. And being covert means they cant ever stop you from tracking.

Easy thing to master. Typing fast is the only real hitch. First thing you do is stand near a known icon. Such as the front of a starport or cantina. This way everyone in your group knows the distance and direction your calling out is from that spot. Dont move around. Then hit player tracking. Start typing names, distance and direction. Example: Rebelnamehere 380m SE.

When your side knows where the enemy is and has a chance to prepare but the enemy doesnt..... Its a mean tactic to be sure.

Kai

Good old Ranger tracking... I used it a good few times to get us some kills.  The best was at the end of big fights, there would always be a couple people who wanted to stick around for an extra hour griefing newbies. The swamp outside of Moenia is one I remember: our group of five walked right up to them hiding in the swamp and sent them home! hehe Good times.

It helped to be on Ventrilo like we always were though. I'd just say: follow me! "he's South-South-West" "he's moving away and East of us.." I got good at spam refreshing it and updating my people on Vent. Sometimes we'd be chasing them down, realize where they were going and just head straight there...they'd show up at where they were going, thinking they were safe, and we'd smack them around again!

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Definetly agree with you on that.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

Yeah, I remember when I was still fresh in the game and a guy gave me a BE Bantha mount because he needed room in his datapad (I was totally stoked by this btw) and I picked up a cheap rifle and went on a durni hunting "safari" that lasted a couple days lol.
    People used to have little safaris on Endor pretty often as I remember too.
    I guess that was how mounts could equal content...It was all player made, but it took the ability to use the mounts that way to make it accessible to everyone. It was fun, funny stuff.

Love, Sodapop

Originally posted by SODAofBRIA

Yeah, I remember when I was still fresh in the game and a guy gave me a BE Bantha mount because he needed room in his datapad (I was totally stoked by this btw) and I picked up a cheap rifle and went on a durni hunting "safari" that lasted a couple days lol.
    People used to have little safaris on Endor pretty often as I remember too.
    I guess that was how mounts could equal content...It was all player made, but it took the ability to use the mounts that way to make it accessible to everyone. It was fun, funny stuff.

During that brief period when pet Specials sort of worked and you could fire from a mount, I had a whole macro set up for it on PvE safaris.

(a) Send the pair of Kusaks in to attack and spam the command for them to use their Specials.

(b) Open fire with the rifle from atop my trusty Brackaset "Mule" in support of the Kusaks.

(c) Dismount/prone and use Specials in support of Kusaks.

(d) Send Mule in to help

Once the lair was cleared, call everybody back into formation, break out the pet stims, set up camp if the wounds were particularly nasty .... fun days on safari, I do miss 'em.

• bigfootsbigfoots Member Posts: 198

CH was far and away my favourite combat profession. As soon as that went, my enthusiasm for this product were untimely ripped from my being.

(Oh, and I also got great pleasure from playing as a trader but I see this is being put to the sword because it actually requires a little thought.)

Proud Master CH -
    Sorry,
    Proud FORMER Master CH...
    my toon was untimely converted into something more Star Warsy