Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE's DC universe has competition

2»

Comments

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by KenshuAni

Originally posted by KzinKiller
    Well, since I wouldn't buy another SOE game even if they came out with "Indistinguishable From Reality Virtual Jessica Alba Honeymoon 2007" ... go Marvel.

Well, I would be tempted to buy it.  But then I'll remember that the hacks they have working for SOE don't have the ability to make such a thing.  However...

Jrscott, have I got a great idea for a game!

Hmmm...checking with the wife now....ummm no! 

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445

Point at him and give him the "Nelson" laugh....

HAAAA-HAAAA!

or something similarly non-threatening but humiliating.

^^^ Now thats funny, I think I just shat myself a little bit.^^^^

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Meh I have zero faith in either , Mcsoft SOE both cash grab corps . Dc , Marvel never been a fan of either , Dark horse is so much better now Sin City/TOTJ I could go for that . 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
    If brings me great pleasure to offer altenatives to the offerings of SOE . Its more then what they offered me.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Spathotan

Originally posted by Obee

If the latest batch of movies are any indication, I see DC comming out on top. Batman Begins and V for Vendetta own anything Marvel has pushed out so far. The Spider-man movies are good, but they lack the badass storylines of V and Batman.

V for Vendetta isn't part of the DC Universe and Batman Begins has the same major flaw all the other Batman movies had (Batman shouldn't tell the love interest his secret identity!!!).  I also believe the Spider-Man films and at least the first X-Men film made more than the last few DC films (Superman Returns was a flop as far as ticket sales, I don't think it fully covered the production costs but will have made money after the DVD goes on sale).

Wrong. Read

Anyways, I didnt say anything about money, something thats popular dosent mean its good, or the best. WoW proves this. Also, the girl in Batman begins is not a love interest, they dont get together, they have nothing, they are friends, shes not even in the next movie.

I think he meant universe.. as in where Supes and Batman live. Different continuity not publisher. Vertigo comics are almost their own company.

But overall DC has more screen appeal than Marvel... but that may not last since Marvel has been pimping out every possible title to make a movie out of. X-Men 3 was a travesty, but the first 2 rocked, and Spidey rocked... the rest were from OK to horrible.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Shayde

If the latest batch of movies are any indication, I see DC comming out on top. Batman Begins and V for Vendetta own anything Marvel has pushed out so far. The Spider-man movies are good, but they lack the badass storylines of V and Batman.

V for Vendetta isn't part of the DC Universe and Batman Begins has the same major flaw all the other Batman movies had (Batman shouldn't tell the love interest his secret identity!!!).  I also believe the Spider-Man films and at least the first X-Men film made more than the last few DC films (Superman Returns was a flop as far as ticket sales, I don't think it fully covered the production costs but will have made money after the DVD goes on sale).

Wrong. Read

Anyways, I didnt say anything about money, something thats popular dosent mean its good, or the best. WoW proves this. Also, the girl in Batman begins is not a love interest, they dont get together, they have nothing, they are friends, shes not even in the next movie.

I think he meant universe.. as in where Supes and Batman live. Different continuity not publisher. Vertigo comics are almost their own company.

But overall DC has more screen appeal than Marvel... but that may not last since Marvel has been pimping out every possible title to make a movie out of. X-Men 3 was a travesty, but the first 2 rocked, and Spidey rocked... the rest were from OK to horrible.

Ok, thats understandable. If so, I apologize to Obee.

And I agree with you on the DC thing, I used to hate DC, but after seeing Batman Begins, that changed real quick. I love that movie, ill put it at #6 on my "greatest movies ever" list, right behind Episodes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and right above Indy 1, 2, 3, and Episode 2.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Wrong. Read

And I agree with you on the DC thing, I used to hate DC, but after seeing Batman Begins, that changed real quick. I love that movie, ill put it at #6 on my "greatest movies ever" list, right behind Episodes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, and right above Indy 1, 2, 3, and Episode 2.

Yep, I meant DC continuity.  DC has a much richer history than Marvel due to the fact that most of the old Golden Age and Silver age comics were still in continuity (at least they were until around 1985).  Marvel's history is pretty much everything after the Fantastic Four started, with bits and pieces of Golden Age stuff tweaked to fit in (like some of Captiian America's WWII stories).

• kaibigan34kaibigan34 Member Posts: 1,508

Wrong. Read

Yep, I meant DC continuity.  DC has a much richer history than Marvel due to the fact that most of the old Golden Age and Silver age comics were still in continuity (at least they were until around 1985).  Marvel's history is pretty much everything after the Fantastic Four started, with bits and pieces of Golden Age stuff tweaked to fit in (like some of Captiian America's WWII stories).

DC Continuity consists of...... "We cant follow continuity because we messed the universe up so bad? Well start a new universe and call it a different plane."

Kai

Originally posted by kaibigan34

Wrong. Read

DC Continuity consists of...... "We cant follow continuity because we messed the universe up so bad? Well start a new universe and call it a different plane."

Kai

Yeah, but all the non Superman/boy, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman Golden Age stories still were considered to have happened.  At least they were the last time I read a DC comic.

Originally posted by kaibigan34

Wrong. Read

Kai

Yeah, but all the non Superman/boy, Batman, Wonder Woman, or Aquaman Golden Age stories still were considered to have happened.  At least they were the last time I read a DC comic.

Don't get me started there... the whole Crisis / Infinite Crisis storyline with the creation/destruction of alternate earths. I could go on for DAYS.   No WEEKS.

What people really need to realize is that both the games will be like CoH but the NPC heroes will be Spidey and Batman ETC. You'll never become the next Robin, nor will you become an X-Man.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.

• BogdawsonBogdawson Member Posts: 202
    both dc and marvel hurt themselves when they changed right after spawn came out, they both got very darked very fast. then everyone died and then came back to life in dc. with bruce wayne coming back to give nightwing the title batman, yuck. and then marvel change from dark to wacked cartoonish, spawn was the wow of comics people tryed to follow it and destoried what they had. 

I missed the batman thing. I remember he got crippled and Azrael took the bat-mantle for a while while Bruce healed...

DC has always been more grounded in reality, where Marvel has world-eating-beings and complete fantasy. I think that's why their movies haven't been as successful. It's much easier to believe a Batman than a Fantastic Four anyday.
    And why Marvel's first blockbuster was Spidey.. really grounded in reality.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275
    Looks like the Marvel game is going to be an Xbox game according to this article on IGN.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

I missed the batman thing. I remember he got crippled and Azrael took the bat-mantle for a while while Bruce healed...

DC has always been more grounded in reality, where Marvel has world-eating-beings and complete fantasy. I think that's why their movies haven't been as successful. It's much easier to believe a Batman than a Fantastic Four anyday.
    And why Marvel's first blockbuster was Spidey.. really grounded in reality.

As a Marvel fan of the 60's and 70's, I'll say that the 'reality' was in the human frailties of the heroes.  Spidey, X-Men, F-F, Avengers ... the Jack & Stan stable was basically a bunch of soap operas built around people with superpowers.  I guess maybe this is taken for granted today, but it was revolutionary at the time.  The characters and stories had more depth than just 'super-powered ultra-good guy vs. super-powered ultra-evil guy'.  Good guys had bad qualities, bad guys sometimes meant well.

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

Former SWG beta tester and player

• sickboy_ukuksickboy_ukuk Member Posts: 26
    Im i right in thinking this will be the first MMO set in the "real world" as Mavel is mainly set in New York?

• UnagiUnagi Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by iskareot

My comment to this is that SOE will make sure less issues are present with this MMO.
    Also I can tell you that it will be tested by some of the sticklers of some games... lol
    All in all, I think SWG was a stepping stone of sorts, they learned alot , admited it's mistakes and faiure results.
    I think if anything Mr. Smedley now knows a few things and I have to give him credit for learning this.

Ah . . . so that's the beta that he bribed you with.

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Think the first time I heard about Marvel MMO coming out was a magazine that came out befor 360 listing games for the 360.  I think it had a 2007 or 2008 prediction for release.

Originally posted by Unagi

My comment to this is that SOE will make sure less issues are present with this MMO.
    Also I can tell you that it will be tested by some of the sticklers of some games... lol
    All in all, I think SWG was a stepping stone of sorts, they learned alot , admited it's mistakes and faiure results.
    I think if anything Mr. Smedley now knows a few things and I have to give him credit for learning this.

Oh no... stock up on the firearms and canned goods, because I actually agree with the yes-man fish.

Shayde - SWG (dead)

imageimage

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Oh no... stock up on the firearms and canned goods, because I actually agree with the yes-man fish.

I agree too or how else is Smedley going to acheive A stated resume goal

"Goal yet to be achieved: Launch a game with 1 million subscribers"

This is Smedley only Hope , and no there is no other.  We must stop me.

Resume found   http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=17094965.8631908.1367951.3778769.0940116.602&aID2=105218

press the print Icon

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

Originally posted by JestorRodo

I agree too or how else is Smedley going to acheive A stated resume goal

"Goal yet to be achieved: Launch a game with 1 million subscribers"

This is Smedley only Hope , and no there is no other.  We must stop me.

Resume found   http://www.sdbj.com/industry_article.asp?aID=17094965.8631908.1367951.3778769.0940116.602&aID2=105218

press the print Icon

He could always get a job as a janitor at Blizzard.  That would get him closer to his goal than staying at his present position.