Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shouldn't players be dependent on other players?

Shouldn't players be dependent on other players? I suggested on the official that trades just for example should be dependent on smuggler to get them some speciall components for a weapon for example. Is this so wrong. Most responses where negative and stated that not even trades should be needed and that everying should be lootable. Shouldn't players be dependent of other players in a mmo?

Comments

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    Yes...

That is why the old game worked and the NGE does not.

A pure combat player literally was kept in the field by several non combat (or non pure combat) toons.

You depended on:

A Doctor
    An Entertainer
    An Armorsmith
    A Weponsmith
    A Smuggler

And everyone THEY depended on...

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489
    You'd think so, but here we are...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

interdependancy isn't "star warsy" or "iconic". hmm... perhaps we should start saying "smedsy" or "wowconic"

lol.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    You'd think that SWG was dependant on turning a profit to stay online ........................

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1
    You'd think that SWG was dependant on turning a profit to stay online ........................

ol' GL has deeeeeeeeeep pockets and sony does for the moment, ps3 should solve that
  • iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    Yes...

A pure combat player literally was kept in the field by several non combat (or non pure combat) toons.

You depended on:

A Doctor
    An Entertainer
    An Armorsmith
    A Weponsmith
    A Smuggler

What he said.

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
    What?! I don't want to be forced to talk, interact or look at other players! This is an MMO, I'm just here to grind for a month or two.

/sarcasmoff

Yeah, they should be. But there's no one left to be dependent on.

yeah the nge MIGHT make a good single player game. MIGHT.
  • HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    Yes...

You depended on:

A Doctor
    An Entertainer
    An Armorsmith
    A Weponsmith
    A Smuggler

Now THAT was player interdepenedcy

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by cjhrules
    Shouldn't players be dependent on other players? I suggested on the official that trades just for example should be dependent on smuggler to get them some speciall components for a weapon for example. Is this so wrong. Most responses where negative and stated that not even trades should be needed and that everying should be lootable. Shouldn't players be dependent of other players in a mmo?

Yes, yes they should and they used to be.  But this was long ago, back before the dark times, back before what we all know now as the "Horror".

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Agricola1

youd think they were making that profit with the 300k subs they had..... Now down to 30k.

Good job!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Target audience doesn't want to have to deal with other people.  They are paying to play a game so the only time they should have to deal with other people is to DB in PvP.  Now why does one pay $15 a month to play a game with others (Massive MULTI-player) if the only time they want to interact with/rely on others is PvP?  For less than $60 a year (which averages to less than $5 a month), a person can get XBox Live and play against other people all they want on any game that has that feature plus they can play the solo part of the games anytime they don't want to deal with other people at all.  And for those that would argue "because SWG is Star Wars," there are a few Star Wars games amongst the list if one has the original XBox (Clone Wars, Battlefront 1 and 2).

To answer your original question -- YES!!! But unfortunately the current targeted MMORPG player doesn't want a true MMO game so they've messed it up for those of us who do.

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

Gooid question - only played two other MMOs other than SWG.

WoW has a minimal amount of interdependency, but a clever person can get around it for the most part.  Only thing you really need other players for is as teammates for raids.

CoX has almost no interdependency - the only thing other players are requried for is to form guilds, which you need to join in order to easily get salvage.  Also need other players for Trials etc., but you can probably solo about 99% of the content relatively easily.

3 games i've been in - 1 has almost no interdependency, 1 has minimal, 1 formerly had a great system but it's now gutted.  I like interdependency myself, I think it makes for great mechanics, but to be honest I don't think it's generally perceived by game developers as an essential component of a MMO.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Is this really a REQUIREMENT for an MMORPG?  Take my time on Shadowfire for example.  When I started playing there I was able to find players to supply everything from resources to buffs.  But at the end of my time on Shadowfire, I was NEVER able to find a doctor when I needed a buff.  Sometimes I needed to roam the galaxy for 3 hours then find a doctor at the place I STARTED looking.  That sucked.

This was due to the population of the server decreasing.  Shadowfire had taken a serious population hit when JTL was announced.  Obviously people had a problem with new content at the time. 

Now, if there had been NPCs available that could give WIMPY buffs, I could have gone about my business Janta hunting or going to the Geo Caves.  The fact that no doctors were logged on when I needed them would not have limited my options to killing Nabooian Monkeys (forgive me, I cannot recall their name at the moment, brainfart). 

Limiting NPC buffs to levels well below player buffs would have helped me access content in the game that required buffs without damaging the income potential of doctors when they were online.  So I ask, is there anything wrong with offering services through NPCs that are less robust just in case there are no qualified players online?

To answer the OPs question, Yes---if they are online.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

Shaupauts! 

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by jrscott

But at the end of my time on Shadowfire, I was NEVER able to find a doctor when I needed a buff.  Sometimes I needed to roam the galaxy for 3 hours then find a doctor at the place I STARTED looking.  That sucked.
    Now, if there had been NPCs available that could give WIMPY buffs, I could have gone about my business Janta hunting or going to the Geo Caves.  The fact that no doctors were logged on when I needed them would not have limited my options to killing Nabooian Monkeys (forgive me, I cannot recall their name at the moment, brainfart). 

Oooorrr... you could have gone to an Armorsmith and ordered a suit of his best lightweight armor. Then go see a Weaponsmith about getting a weapon that traded off some damage for a reduction in HAM costs. Buy a few crates of powerups to make up the difference. Pay an Image Designer to adjust your stats for a different play style. Buy some crates of self-buffs: top quality Chef foods and Spices. Work out some different tactics, since you can no longer just "tank" your way thru the missions.
  • Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    I never had any problem getting buffs day or night on Bloodfin.  You could always find a buffbot.  True, that wasn't the best solution, but they could have gotten round it by allowing buffs to be sold in a self administered "package".  IE: the doctor applies the buffs to a container instead of to you, hands it to you and then you can activate it whenever you wanted.

There really wasn't a serious problem in Pre-CU that couldn't have been solved had they tried.  They didn't.

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by jrscott

But at the end of my time on Shadowfire, I was NEVER able to find a doctor when I needed a buff.  Sometimes I needed to roam the galaxy for 3 hours then find a doctor at the place I STARTED looking.  That sucked.

Oooorrr... you could have gone to an Armorsmith and ordered a suit of his best lightweight armor. Then go see a Weaponsmith about getting a weapon that traded off some damage for a reduction in HAM costs. Buy a few crates of powerups to make up the difference. Pay an Image Designer to adjust your stats for a different play style. Buy some crates of self-buffs: top quality Chef foods and Spices. Work out some different tactics, since you can no longer just "tank" your way thru the missions.

Very good suggestions that show off the power of the pre-CU game model.  And actually I did every single one of those.  I was a Master Weaponsmith / Master Rifleman so I definitely had the weapon covered.  And I ran a full service shop in the city of Brenn with one of the top 3 Armorsmiths, a Master Tailor with decent modded clothing.  The other shops in Brenn had ANYTHING you wanted to buy.  Brenn rocked. 

Because I was not a full FOTM template, your suggestions only got me closer to where I needed to be to do some of the stuff I wanted to do.  Again, they were GREAT suggestions.  But my question really is:

Is there anything wrong with NPCs contributing to the economy, but only as a second (backup) choice?  Their goods and services would be obviously inferior to those ofn the player community.  There WERE times I logged off in frustration when I could not find a buff to do what I wanted to do.  You might not believe me, but the only reliable 24/7 buffbot we had was in some city on Dantooine which meant if you were on Talus, you would have to travel to Dearic -> Corellia -> Dantooine -> Little City to get there and stand in a very long line.  Not very enjoyable.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

i say remove all loot exept legendary stuff (like the mando armour or an old republic lightsaber) and crystals should be looted from a mob that has a LS as well. the only thing you would loot from animals would be hides and bones and organic stuff. from humanoid only what they carry. if they shoot yo uwith a CDEF pistol you will never EVER loot a CDEF rifle.

everything worth keeping else should be ONLY craftable. the rest can be recycled. into materials.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978

I think interdependency, done right, can be a good community building tool. I liked many of the interdependency features of SWG.

However, the problem comes when people are dependent on each other and the ones you are dependent upon are nowhere to be found. Most of us at one time or another, for example, experienced having massive wounds that we needed to have healed, but not being able to find a doctor anywhere. Or having massive amounts of BF, but not being able to find an entertainer.

The problem SWG had was that the interdependency was well done but the finding was not. For example, when it first launched you could "man" a cantina or med center and it would "light up" on the map. But then when player cantinae came out, the owner was able to just set a flag that marked it "manned" --whether there was anyone actually in there or not. This led to every non-NPC cantaina on the map "turned on" even though most of them were empty, and made the entire feature useless (same for med centers).

If they had made it possible to search the whole galaxy easily to find active entertainers and docs, then the interdependency would have been fine. For example being interdependent on crafters was not a big deal because vendors were map-marked on a planet-wide scale, and could be found easily, and were "up" 24/7. But when I, as a dancer, was active in Keren cantina, there was no good way to tell the rest of the server that I was available.  If there had been, things would've worked far better.

So, my take is -- interdependency is good, but you need to make it possible for a player to play the damn game, and you can't let the interdependency turn it into a fruitless search that takes an hour just so you can start to actually play your chosen profession.

C

• DarkMistressDarkMistress Member Posts: 13

Hmm ... Don't you think that's why we came to love the game?     The interaction among all the players, the development of communities ...  (Sorry, being a "git" ... )   Of course players were meant to be dependent on others.    It's what made SWG diverse, entertaining, and just plain fun.  

jrscott ... sorry to hear you couldn't find a MDoc on your server when you needed one.  On Kettemoor myself and my hubby were always running "amuk" healing and buffing people on a regular basis.     Granted, we both had our routine areas, our nightly "grid" group, but we always did our best to do our Doc thing for everyone (regardless of faction).    As crazy as it may sound ... we never charged anyone a fee!    Any money we did receive was wholly of the players choice. 

Anyway, I'm babbling ... laterzzz.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953
    No.

Videogame players have different time zones, videogame players are fickle, and videogame players are limited by their character levels.

Developers in all games have mistaken the word 'teamwork' for 'cooperation'.  You try to hard-code into the game 'cooperation' and you make everybody frustrated.

• DelzoDelzo Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Don't forget, most people playing the NGE now don't want to play with someone they want to PvP them. All they want is their glowstick to go ganking with.

That's why you got shot down. Your common sense step on the toes of their playstyle.

Sort of like the NGE stepped on the toes of ours.