Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

economy problem

ok we are all aware that we have an economy problem in SWG

for those who still play, what would you say if the game takes away 90% of every one's credits.

it has been done in even to control inflation.

what do you guys think?

it would put more value on the items you own and crafters might get more apreciation. (but it has to be combined with  item decay)

Comments

• VastarVastar Member Posts: 176
    Actually, the value is what would remain the same. The numbers would be different but the value would not change. "Inflation" issues can't just be bandaided in this way. Changes need to be made to the system at some point along the flow of credits and if it's done right will more than likely take a fair bit of time.

Then again, with the game in it's current state it probably doesn't matter anyway.

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516
    Not only do you need to reduce the money flow, but you also need to boost the size of the economy. One without the other doesn't solve much. If you decrease the amount of money, the value of items remains the same, but just with less zeroes at the end. If you increase the size of the economy without reducing money circulation, you end up with everyone having billions and billions to spend freely.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    then is there a solution to stabilize? like i just made 6 milllion in 1 week. with that i can get preaty much anything i want.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    I imagine most people would feel exactly the same way as if you took away 90% of XP .... so, 10% better than CH's felt when they took away 100% of their XP, I guess.  

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Uh no thanks.  Earned my 500mil through hand made armour sales, I think I deserve to keep it all :P

• BissrokBissrok Member Posts: 1,002
    The only thing I bought last month was a stack of resources. It was about a ridiculous amount of metal, and I made enough to buy it in an hour (not an hour in game, an hour after creating my character). Yeah, I'd say the markets gone to hell. What's there to buy? For the most part, you don't need weapons, ships or equipment. Anything worth buying can be looted.

I don't think they need to take away any credits, I think they need to drop Trader and put up NPCs who'll sell you something worth buying. You can't make the Traders craft decent items, or the kids will whine about having to give away their credits to another player (God forbid). Throw the NPCs up, drop the loot rates and everyone's happy. Well... a few thousand people will be happy. But, since the devs are determined to ignore any criticism, it's pretty much the same thing.

• VastarVastar Member Posts: 176

Originally posted by Squal'Zell
    then is there a solution to stabilize? like i just made 6 milllion in 1 week. with that i can get preaty much anything i want.

Tighten the faucet, lock the drain wide open. That's the simple version. (=
  • zoey121zoey121 Member Posts: 926
    There is no more ligitement economy in any online games at this point and time. Between ige and chineese farmers ruining every game and ebay the ideals that were once done are for the birds. Serves no purpose except for those that have time play and those that do not pay.
     There fore any game up and coming or what has gone before is ruined .

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by Obraik
    Uh no thanks.  Earned my 500mil through hand made armour sales, I think I deserve to keep it all :P

Half a F'in billion credits?!? This is exactly the OPs point. The sad thing is that 500 mil isn't really that much money anymore. That's the problem with this economy. Way back when, money was actually worth something (I don't mean to say that preCU or CU systems had something to do with it), over time, this economy has gotten out of hand. A good gun used to be 8-10k max, and now look: you've got high-end loots selling for tens of millions of dollars. BH armor was just over half a million per piece, and now you need seven-figure bank accounts to buy anything worthwhile. I think the OPs point is more along the lines of "reduce the amount of money in the economy without changing the relative prices of items." Of course you'd have less money, but you'd still be as rich (in relation to others and the market) as you were before. In the movies, Jabba had a HUGE bounty on Han's head. How big? Oh, about 15k. OMG O Noez!! Pfff, players nowadays can spare ten times that much to a friendly newb. Sorry and thanks Obraik, you just proved the point.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by kimosabe

Half a F'in billion credits?!? This is exactly the OPs point. The sad thing is that 500 mil isn't really that much money anymore. That's the problem with this economy. Way back when, money was actually worth something (I don't mean to say that preCU or CU systems had something to do with it), over time, this economy has gotten out of hand. A good gun used to be 8-10k max, and now look: you've got high-end loots selling for tens of millions of dollars. BH armor was just over half a million per piece, and now you need seven-figure bank accounts to buy anything worthwhile. I think the OPs point is more along the lines of "reduce the amount of money in the economy without changing the relative prices of items." Of course you'd have less money, but you'd still be as rich (in relation to others and the market) as you were before. In the movies, Jabba had a HUGE bounty on Han's head. How big? Oh, about 15k. OMG O Noez!! Pfff, players nowadays can spare ten times that much to a friendly newb. Sorry and thanks Obraik, you just proved the point.

Lol, do you know many crafters pre-cu had capped bank accounts and had to buy second accounts to store their cash?

I think my prices are pretty good for armour, 375k for a standard suit, 1.5mil for a layered suit, 5mil for unlayered RIS, 8.4mil for layered RIS and for BH armour it's the same as standard armour unless I have to provide the schems and it's an extra 2.2mil.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Lol, do you know many crafters pre-cu had capped bank accounts and had to buy second accounts to store their cash?

I think my prices are pretty good for armour, 375k for a standard suit, 1.5mil for a layered suit, 5mil for unlayered RIS, 8.4mil for layered RIS and for BH armour it's the same as standard armour unless I have to provide the schems and it's an extra 2.2mil.

There was a crafter on Shadowfire back in the day, that got her account's banned because she was selling credits via ebay and IGE or whatever. She had 3 accounts, and they were all credit capped. She had been a master WS/AS since the server opened, had a Jedi slot, and the other account for getting loot to sell and make good weapons. She made a post on the forums before they locked her forum access, she said she was making about $1000 a week for a good 3 straight months just from selling credits on the Internet and ingame to people she knew.

Did she have to much money? Yes, thats why she was getting rid of it, it was literally worthless to her ingame, so why not do something with it? She could have bought Firesprays, RIS, DE-10s, and Jetpack pieces for the entire server, and still have billions of credits. I dont blame her at all. But even so, she earned the credits by playing the game alot and crafting her ass off. You cant just take away 90% of the populations credits just because you think the economy is unbalanced.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

for those who still play, what would you say if the game takes away 90% of every one's credits.
    what do you guys think?

That is actually an unfair taxation policy.  Those with the fewest amounts of credits will suffer the most from your tax.  As proven time and again high rates of taxation actually have a negative impact on the economy thus producing a net negative result for crafters. 

The reason the Income tax functions on a sliding scale is to make taxation fair for all classes. (US non flat tax economy)

I would be happy to agree to some sort of credit fix ingame if it was done fairly taking into account that lower class citizens should not be paying the tax rate of the upper-class.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Who in SWG DOESN'T have that kind of money these days? This is just another nail in the StarWarsy casket. It proves yet again, that SOE knows squat about SW. I'm not aposed to there being a few rich players, but when everyone is richer than Jabba the Hutt, it's a sign of something. Why can't I have a palace on Tatooine then? Geez. 
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

what do you guys think?

When i first started you started with 250 credits, Mission
    terminals paid out 50-250 (250 being hard) and all NPC's gave out about 50-100
    credits.

Ever wonder why the NPC's always gave crap rewards?

Because the increased the payout of the terminals...The terminals were never supposed
    to be the main content givers, they were only placed there to help casual
    players get in quick and accomplish something.

Ever wonder what happened to Luke saying "10k credits?!!?!11, we can buy
    our own ship for that!!11!".

Well, not in SWG, because they upped the terminals.

This was the beginning of the end.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

what do you guys think?

it would put more value on the items you own and crafters might get more apreciation. (but it has to be combined with  item decay)

When i first started you started with 250 credits, Mission terminals paid out 50-250 (250 being hard) and all NPC's gave out about 50-100 credits.

Because the increased the payout of the terminals...The terminals were never supposed to be the main content givers, they were only placed there to help casual players get in quick and accomplish something.

Ever wonder what happened to Luke saying
    "10k credits?!!?!11, we can buy our own ship for that!!11!".

...while wondering how he could get himself, Obi-Wan, and the droids to fit into a Belbullab, since it's so easy to get one under 10,000 because Necrosis is so fricken bugged/easy.
  • MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

what do you guys think?

When i first started you started with 250 credits, Mission terminals paid out 50-250 (250 being hard) and all NPC's gave out about 50-100 credits.

Because the increased the payout of the terminals...The terminals were never supposed to be the main content givers, they were only placed there to help casual players get in quick and accomplish something.

...while wondering how he could get himself, Obi-Wan, and the droids to fit into a Belbullab, since it's so easy to get one under 10,000 because Necrosis is so fricken bugged/easy.

Eh?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

what do you guys think?

Eh?

Ok, I'll break it down, even though it's so uncool that you didn't get my joke.

10,000 credits will buy you a Belbullab-22 on the server I played on (sunrunner).

There was literally dozens and dozens of them for sale at a time. There was more Belbullabs than starter ships.

They are a higher end ship that is supposed to be unique and rare.

The market was flooded with them because as everyone knows, they were a loot drop from a boss (Necrosis) who was supposed to be one bad mofo.  But since Necrosis was bugged to hell and could be soloed by pretty much anyone, pretty much anyone could farm those ships. Hence the fact that there was so many of them.

Now, here's where I explain the relevance of my post.

This is a thread about the economy, and how borked it is thanks to SOE. I was simply musing how, in SOE's StarWars, Luke could simply go to a vendor and pick up a Belbullab and cram his friends inside instead of having to pay the 18,000 cr to rent Hans services.

Carry on

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275
    The NGE SWG is not a virtual world therefore it doesn't have an economy that can be wrecked or that needs to be balanced.

In an ARPG credits/gold/money are just another type of score to gage how well you are doing.

PreHologrind SWG needed an economy because it was still a virtual world designed around the idea of players building and maintaining a working ecology. Credits were needed to buy things. Things required players to create. Creations needed players to want them to be sold creating demand for more items to be made. Items had a short life to keep up future need. To get credits to buy from the ones creating the items game players needed to complete missions or provide service to the people who were running missions.

Everything after the adoption of the ARPG model is about collecting trophies. Get the best stats, the coolest looking things, the most money. Services, crafted items and needing another player to help with some part of gameplay are looked at as "bad" or taking away from the true focus of game play rather than bieng the game play.

In the NGE you simply can't have an economy problem because there is no economy.

Former SWG beta tester and player

Originally posted by Reachwind
    The NGE SWG is not a virtual world therefore it doesn't have an economy that can be wrecked or that needs to be balanced.

In an ARPG credits/gold/money are just another type of score to gage how well you are doing.

PreHologrind SWG needed an economy because it was still a virtual world designed around the idea of players building and maintaining a working ecology. Credits were needed to buy things. Things required players to create. Creations needed players to want them to be sold creating demand for more items to be made. Items had a short life to keep up future need. To get credits to buy from the ones creating the items game players needed to complete missions or provide service to the people who were running missions.

Everything after the adoption of the ARPG model is about collecting trophies. Get the best stats, the coolest looking things, the most money. Services, crafted items and needing another player to help with some part of gameplay are looked at as "bad" or taking away from the true focus of game play rather than bieng the game play.

In the NGE you simply can't have an economy problem because there is no economy.

You are 100% correct. There is really no need for economy now in SWG. You can do all the quests and get all the uber gear without any help from other players.
  • Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Reachwind

You are 100% correct. There is really no need for economy now in SWG. You can do all the quests and get all the uber gear without any help from other players.

why did SOE do this again?

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

Why did SOE do this again?

They looked at the two markets, RPG and ARPG, and decided that the ARPG market had more potential players than the RPG market.

Instead of doing what normal businesses do and creating a NEW product to go after the NEW market they altered the existing product and tried to force their way into the new market while making a halfassed attempt to stay backwards compatible with the old market and product. The CU left them in between the two marks bleeding paying customers so they made an even bigger jump towards the ARPG model and found themselves the laughing stock of the gaming world as the thousands of unhappy RPG customers finally understood the earlier changes for what they were and quit en masse writing letters and telling any fan site, game site or public discussion of the game why they thought SOE was an unethical crap game developer.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

When I quit due to the NGE I had about 160 mill, a house full of moun and spice..

Also I have so many additives that I don't even rememebr -- Pets, all kinds of crap... +exp Jedi suit, Bio Suit, Chef suit that whole thing plus items.

It's all locked up.

If people need money in this version of the game and or can't make it then somthing is really really wrong with them.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953
    I was always stunned at the inability i had to destroy enemy faction buildings.  We are at war are we not?  Well why cannot I destroy this enemy thumper right in front of my face?  I have a pistol, there is the enemy building, can I not destroy it?

Deflation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Nerf09
    I was always stunned at the inability i had to destroy enemy faction buildings.  We are at war are we not?  Well why cannot I destroy this enemy thumper right in front of my face?  I have a pistol, there is the enemy building, can I not destroy it?

Deflation.

GCW bases , Were destroyable . And quite fun on top of  challenging . I think they may be back in game now .

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

Originally posted by Nerf09

Deflation.

GCW bases , Were destroyable . And quite fun on top of  challenging . I think they may be back in game now .

Ooooh, you can destroy one singular dedicated destroyable building.

Im talking about houses, resource gatherers, and guild halls which dotted the countryside like trash.