Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE's DC universe has competition

JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?post=992361&bhcp=1#992361

Cyptic Has The Marvel Universe.  Bet which one comes out first and second bets on bug count /openbettingwindow

Unaware of the Jestor?
http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I heard rumors of a marvel MMO a long time ago.  I have been a comic fan since I was like 6, TBH I always liked reading Marvel comics more than DC. There are a lot of game geeks who got hooked on comics and progressed to gaming so I'm surprised comic based MMOs took so long to be made.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• oreyioreyi Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by tillamook
    I heard rumors of a marvel MMO a long time ago.  I have been a comic fan since I was like 6, TBH I always liked reading Marvel comics more than DC. There are a lot of game geeks who got hooked on comics and progressed to gaming so I'm surprised comic based MMOs took so long to be made.

Maybe they don't want to see their IP given the same treatment Star Wars has been given...

I'm also really surprised that after the hoopla over CoH and Marvel that they patched it up enough to make a cool Marvel based MMO. This is truly a story for the history books.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Honestly, it's gonna be Marvel for the win. I played CoH/V for a few months and really enjoyed it for what it was. No, it's not a sandbox, as the whole super hero genre doesn't reallly lend itself to well to that style of game, but the combat was terrific, the character creation is superb, the bugs were few, and the game was fun. If in the very least, all they do is throw a Marvel skin on it and add some new places to play besides warehouses and office buildings, they'll have a winner.

On the other hand, what will this mean for current CoH/V players? If Cryptic developes a game that is in direct competition, there would seem to be a conflict of interest within the company. I may be a pessimist, but can they both excist? Or does one need to disappear (and it won't be Marvel)?

Curious.

Either way, as a SWG Vet, if I had to choose between an SOE developed game, and one developed by Cryptic, it's a no brainer where my money is going. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

My comment to this is that SOE will make sure less issues are present with this MMO.

Also I can tell you that it will be tested by some of the sticklers of some games... lol

All in all, I think SWG was a stepping stone of sorts, they learned alot , admited it's mistakes and faiure results.

I think if anything Mr. Smedley now knows a few things and I have to give him credit for learning this.

ALSO We can only hope that the team, the production and the staff of this is NOT like SWG ended up.

When your creator leaves due to a game change that is a strike off the top, not to mention other Devs... then producers getting in shouting matches of who made what etc..   I think that this WILL NOT go the same way SWG did.

Look, in business this is somthing you learn from.. make sure you never do again and move on.

As for SWG I think it's on auto pilot... ride it out until you can at this stage.   LEC is not out there promoting it, NOR is SOE really.    It's not a wise investment.

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275
    Want to know what SOE's future games will look like? Log in to WoW and have a look around.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

I'm sorry, but looking at how SOE Develops games, this isn't even a contest. The NGE, Matrix, Planetside, EQ2... they are just pathetic...

All cryptic has to do is beat the design of the NGE... I mean, come on... Blind monkeys slamming on keyboards  & hurling thier $#%^ could code a better game.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Reachwind
    Want to know what SOE's future games will look like? Log in to SWG and have a look around.

Fixed... they couldn't code a WoW if you gave them 20 years...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Hmm...how is any of this going to differ from CoH/CoV?  Seems like it
    will all be very much the same thing to me, just with different
    archetypes.

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by iskareot

My comment to this is that SOE will make sure less issues are present with this MMO.
    Also I can tell you that it will be tested by some of the sticklers of some games... lol
    All in all, I think SWG was a stepping stone of sorts, they learned alot , admited it's mistakes and faiure results.
    I think if anything Mr. Smedley now knows a few things and I have to give him credit for learning this.
    ALSO We can only hope that the team, the production and the staff of this is NOT like SWG ended up.
    When your creator leaves due to a game change that is a strike off the top, not to mention other Devs... then producers getting in shouting matches of who made what etc..   I think that this WILL NOT go the same way SWG did.
    Look, in business this is somthing you learn from.. make sure you never do again and move on.
    As for SWG I think it's on auto pilot... ride it out until you can at this stage.   LEC is not out there promoting it, NOR is SOE really.    It's not a wise investment.

I know you are buddies with Smed, Isk.  I can only hope that Smed has learned his lesson on what not to do to their players.  But until some action is taken to repair the damage that SOE did to its customer relations, I can only hope that SOE will fail.  Fail and cause all the higher ups to lose their jobs.  Throw in the members of LA that were directly involved with SWG for me to be completely happy.  Or give me a Star Wars sandbox to play in again.

They might have learned that it was a mistake to toss out their original players in the hopes of drawing in a new type of players.  But they still haven't learned the value of good customer service, and what to do to bring back a measure of good will from those offended customers.

• ChessackChessack Member Posts: 978
    Marvel's is being done by Cryptic. Whatever else I may have to say about them, their current game, COH(&V) is pretty solid. Their QA has dropped off a bit this year, but it's still excellent compared to SOE's. So the fact that Cryptic is doing the Marvel game means it will probably not be buggy. I wouldn't be surprised if it is an uninspired re-skin of the original COH/V game... but buggy? Probably not.

DC on the other hand, is being run by SOE, which has a questionable QA procedure at best, and on top of that, has no experience in the superhero MMO business vs. Cryptic which is now the veteran in that area. So I expect the DC one to probably come out earlier, but also be quite buggy.

C

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Well, Marvel might be first since I wouldn't doubt it'd be a souped up CoH engine.

And if it IS a souped up CoH engine, it'll be virtually bug-free.

We all know $OE's DC comics game will LOOK good because im Lee is in charge of the art. It'll also be buggy as a mexican dumster behind a slaughterhouse.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Shayde
    Well, Marvel might be first since I wouldn't doubt it'd be a souped up CoH engine.

And if it IS a souped up CoH engine, it'll be virtually bug-free.

We all know $OE's DC comics game will LOOK good because im Lee is in charge of the art. It'll also be buggy as a mexican dumster behind a slaughterhouse.

We should start a betting pool on how long before SOE begins revamping core systems of the DC Comics game because it hasn't 'attracted the size of subscription base that the DC Comics license should'.

Edited to add the word "of".

• Apache_Apache_ Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Cyptic Has The Marvel Universe.  Bet which one comes out first and second bets on bug count /openbettingwindow

I like Marvel better anyway.

Originally posted by Apache_

same here
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    If the latest batch of movies are any indication, I see DC comming out on top. Batman Begins and V for Vendetta own anything Marvel has pushed out so far. The Spider-man movies are good, but they lack the badass storylines of V and Batman.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Originally posted by Spathotan
    If the latest batch of movies are any indication, I see DC comming out on top. Batman Begins and V for Vendetta own anything Marvel has pushed out so far. The Spider-man movies are good, but they lack the badass storylines of V and Batman.

V for Vendetta isn't part of the DC Universe and Batman Begins has the same major flaw all the other Batman movies had (Batman shouldn't tell the love interest his secret identity!!!).  I also believe the Spider-Man films and at least the first X-Men film made more than the last few DC films (Superman Returns was a flop as far as ticket sales, I don't think it fully covered the production costs but will have made money after the DVD goes on sale).

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by Apache_

same here

I agree, except put it in past tense.  I've stopped reading american comics about 15 years ago when they all thought how great it would be to publish multiple copies of "collectors issues" with 4 different covers.  After that, I lost all interest in Marvel and DC.

However, when I was reading comics, I prefered Marvel over DC.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Obee

Originally posted by Spathotan

V for Vendetta isn't part of the DC Universe and Batman Begins has the same major flaw all the other Batman movies had (Batman shouldn't tell the love interest his secret identity!!!).  I also believe the Spider-Man films and at least the first X-Men film made more than the last few DC films (Superman Returns was a flop as far as ticket sales, I don't think it fully covered the production costs but will have made money after the DVD goes on sale).

Wrong. Read

Anyways, I didnt say anything about money, something thats popular dosent mean its good, or the best. WoW proves this. Also, the girl in Batman begins is not a love interest, they dont get together, they have nothing, they are friends, shes not even in the next movie.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

i'm for marvel. dc is doomed by the uber-incompetent $oe and thier inability to guage the public.

i can't wait to see in game footage of a npc superman poking half out of a wall.

Originally posted by suske

i'm for marvel. dc is doomed by the uber-incompetent $oe and thier inability to guage the public.
    i can't wait to see in game footage of a npc superman poking half out of a wall.

Actually, I like Gabe's prediction.

Obviously I don’t have high hopes for the DC MMO. If it plays out anything like Galaxies I can tell you exactly how it will go. You will create your character and then spawn in the center of the Fortress of Solitude. Super Man will fly up to you and tell you that Lex Luther and the Joker are fighting Batman and he needs your help. He’ll scoop you up and fly you to Gotham via Metropolis (Hey look, it’s the Daily Planet) where you will meet up with the rest of the Justice League and they will make you an honorary member. After a crazy battle involving everyone from Wonder Woman to Krypto the super dog, you’ll end up in some filthy ally shooting rats with your heat vision.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Well, since I wouldn't buy another SOE game even if they came out with "Indistinguishable From Reality Virtual Jessica Alba Honeymoon 2007" ... go Marvel.

• suskesuske Member Posts: 714

Originally posted by KzinKiller
    Well, since I wouldn't buy another SOE game even if they came out with "Indistinguishable From Reality Virtual Jessica Alba Honeymoon 2007" ... go Marvel.

hmmm........that might get me to play $oe mmos again

Well, I would be tempted to buy it.  But then I'll remember that the hacks they have working for SOE don't have the ability to make such a thing.  However...

Jrscott, have I got a great idea for a game!

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Originally posted by KenshuAni

Well, I would be tempted to buy it.  But then I'll remember that the hacks they have working for SOE don't have the ability to make such a thing.  However...

Jrscott, have I got a great idea for a game!

I just know that it would look great but would be lousy to play with ...........  Play.  Of course I meant play.