Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW is for 12 year olds, I see that alot on this site.

Why the feable attempt to take away from the most popular game of all time? did you get caught cheating, making unwanted sexual comments, stealing accounts, gold farming, running illeagle software or are you just another anarchist trying to bring down the "man".

I can't help but laugh, not as loudly as Blizzard does when they rake in all the cash mind you but I'm laughing at you none the less.

Oh and get a cause, this ones broken.

Comments

• meakersmeakers Member Posts: 38
    I agree... I am all for everyone having their own tastes but sometimes it just goes too far here. You can't stereotype people that play WoW all as 12 yr old noobs that have never played any other mmo... the number of subscribers denounce that logic.
  • I played this game for 8 months, I am considerably older than 12.  I also don't think the game is anything stellar for this genre although it is initially a fun game.

However there are a lot of elitists who think MMORPGs are hard or challenging or take smarts or something.  In reality I think that is what you are seeing.  MMORPGs are not hard.  Well most of them aren't.  When you run into mixed up thinking such as time=difficulty you will run into this kind of silliness.

Ah well, who cares?

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

I concur with the OP.

If anything WoW has had a positive impact on the MMO market. WoW has proved, by not rushing MMOG development you can release an immensely successfull game. While you or I have known this for some time. It proves it in paper to the men in suits.

Looking back to before WoW was retailed, the majority of MMOG's were rushed.

It is through WoW's example, we can expect better quality games in the future.

---

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    I'm 19, and I have played quite a bit of MMO's .... I really like WoW, and feel it is one of the best done MMO's out there at the moment. Yeah theres alot of immature people, but it's also a very VERY successful game, of course out of 6.5 million subscribers, your going to get certain idividuals you don't like.

• brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by meakers
    I agree... I am all for everyone having their own tastes but sometimes it just goes too far here. You can't stereotype people that play WoW all as 12 yr old noobs that have never played any other mmo... the number of subscribers denounce that logic.

Actualy having sudden huge revolutionary numbers while other games still thrive kinda points to bringing in outsiders.

It isn't a 12 year old game no, but I've seen the least mature discussions in Wow and almost everyone I know IRL who plays wow fits the bill of a b.net kiddy.

Oh yeah and I have yet to see someone outside of wow announce that this is they're first MMo.

My experience is limited and not omnipotent but still most people agree.

How many other games have players on parent set guidelines that limit how long and how late they can play?

• Originally posted by godpuppet

I concur with the OP.

If anything WoW has had a positive impact on the MMO market. WoW has proved, by not rushing MMOG development you can release an immensely successfull game. While you or I have known this for some time. It proves it in paper to the men in suits.

No WoW will have no effect on the output of shoddy and under developed projects.  Nothing in history has before, why would WoW?

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by godpuppet

I concur with the OP.

No WoW will have no effect on the output of shoddy and under developed projects.  Nothing in history has before, why would WoW?

Becuase no western game has been as successful as WoW. WoW spent 2 years in development, almost a year in closed beta testing and a month in open beta testing. Men in suits seeing this will see the benefit of a higher development budget and as a result we can expect better quality games.

Just take a look at the games in development now.

---

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

Yeah, there are a healthy number of idiot pre-teens, and teens playing WoW, and running their mouths nonstop.

As a percentage, though, I don't really think there are any more in WoW than are in any other MMO, to be honest.

And alot of those tools telling Norris jokes, or what have you, aren't teens, but 20-somethings in college, or worse yet post college adults that were a big hit in high school, and once they got out into the real world, realized no one gave a shit about how many touchdowns they had in the big game, so they regress back to acting like an idiotic high school kid in a weak attempt to relive their past glory.

The only thing worse than those nitwits, are the people having a stroke over their antics. If you're truly the adults you claim to be, grow the hell up, and ignore them. Otherwise, you're just adding to the stupidity.

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572
    Yes, WoW has its share of children, but no more than any other game.  It just so happens that WoW has a lot more mainstream appeal and population that previous games in the genre, and therefore the vocal (idiot) majority are more glaringly obvious than the regular gamers.

All the polls show that the average WoW player it at least older than 22, and I don't consider them children.  Then again, when people make such sily statements, I tend to ignore them anyway.  Game-nerd elitism is just too pathetic to encourage.

• Originally posted by godpuppet

Originally posted by godpuppet

I concur with the OP.

Becuase no western game has been as successful as WoW. WoW spent 2 years in development, almost a year in closed beta testing and a month in open beta testing. Men in suits seeing this will see the benefit of a higher development budget and as a result we can expect better quality games.

Just take a look at the games in development now.

There is never a shortage of idiots in suits who will take shortcuts and not listen to the people they should listen to.  There never will be a shortage.

Blizzard has made its rep on quality since the beginning.  The only reason they stand out is because there is no shortage of the aforementioned and there never will be a shortage.  Morhaime has an ethos of quality that has serveed him well.  As with others before him he has became successful with it.  As with others before him they see the benefits of quality craftsmanship.  As with the past many opt for short cuts instead.

There is never a shortage of the other side.  There never will be.  Quality craftsmanship is more than just time anyway.
  • SpeedhaakSpeedhaak Member UncommonPosts: 296

Originally posted by rdrpappy

I can't help but laugh, not as loudly as Blizzard does when they rake in all the cash mind you but I'm laughing at you none the less.

My sentiments exactly, and worthy of a quote. WoW is indeed a haven for the social anarchist!
  • nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    It gets that reputation because of a community with a very high number of 'kids', because it's graphics are cartoony, and it's gameplay is 'dumbed-down' version of other mmorpg type gameplays. But this is generally because the game strives to be light-hearted, fun emphasized, accessible and game-focused. Meaning it will attract a universal audience and the way it is designed is that way for a reason. In contrast, other mmorpgs maybe more indepth, more world-focused and graphics which try more to immerse you into a fantasy type environment. Fans of the latter are probably more likely to be condescending to WoW. In reality though, they are two different games with different appeals, and enjoyments in playing. For instance, WoW I may enjoy for it's game emphasis, and casuality. While EQ I enjoyed for it's world-emphasis, it's depth and environments.

I wont deny Blizzard have skilled employee's, but they also have a large budget. When Blizzard first starting out I doubt they could afford to hire the best of the best. They got to the position they are in now due to releasing ground breaking titles again and again. Your right in your praise, there are few companys that can boast their resume. And as a result they set a sole example to other companys.

Rushing & releasing games has proven to be a successful market stratagem. Companys on the market will want to adopt a strategy that is low risk (proven to work) and has a profit margine. One needs but take a look at the single player games to see this.

As the MMOG market is relatively new, Companys are looking for strategys in order to make $$$. I see most adopt the rush and release, with a few exceptions. A company could take its time to make a game, but its not assured to suceed, its high risk, expensive and could be the death of a company. Until WoW, no MMOG has proven pro-longed development and beta test phases can lead to immense success.

One needs to remember its not the developers that run the show, but the shareholders and possibly the publishers. If the shareholders are getting edgy becuase they're company is seen to be losing money, fast, they will want something done. They will want to know what is to be done, when and why. They will want to know that what is going to be done is going to have the right affect. Now, companys can show their shareholders, "were going to take a long develop plan, becuase look it worked for blizzard and they make around 30m a month". WoW sets an example through evidence.

It pushed the boundrys and sets a great example. Even if newer companys dont have as skilled employees they may seek larger budgets to spend the time needed to release a game, and yes development is absolutely about time, one man can only code so much in a day. Time is money. Its about money.

---

• aikageaikage Member Posts: 13

I think WOW is for the trash-can if you ask me, I have played mmorpgs all my life, and i decided to try WOW cuz I'd heard it was pretty good... I heard wrong It almost put me off mmo's I wpuld definitely say Blizzard needs to stick to Diablo mmorpg's WOW just didn't have any luster at all for me I'm 14

So let me take this medicine to quench my love for violent things...

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

can you say troll bait?

• mrotsmrots Member Posts: 106

Blizz did a wonderfull  job with wow i admit , they went right to the core of human nature , thats why it's popular.

Myself i could not stand the horrible attitude most wow players seem to have. crying over everything and being selfish and greedy.

• Originally posted by mrots

Blizz did a wonderfull  job with wow i admit , they went right to the core of human nature , thats why it's popular.

Myself i could not stand the horrible attitude most wow players seem to have. crying over everything and being selfish and greedy.

I don't blame the players for this, WoW is a game that is predicated on greed.  The designers know this.  Any game structured like WoW will have that.
  • BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581
    I think it would be safer to say "WoW has popped more MMORPG "cherries" than any other company."

I remember some older MMORPGs that didn't even have auto loot options, yet player enforced rules were layed down and generally followed by everyone.  Can you picture what would happen if all loot become "free loot" in WoW?

So, my opinion, is simply WoW brought in a lot of newbie MMO players, that weren't used to the "typical behavior" expected by the "experienced MMO" players.  Thus, the more experieced players considered them all immature kiddies.  That fact the WoW is a much more "friendly" game then MMOs of the past (remember the 1 death = - hours of exp games) it makes it even easier to say it is "newb" or "kiddie" friendly.

There are still a number of MMO players, or past players that still want or want to return to the "hardcore" system of the past.  Games with full looting on death, and hours of exp lost every time you died and even de-lvling.  These people like to call everyone that thinks that is "too hard" or "not fun" "newbs, kiddies" or other names.

Originally posted by mrots
    Blizz did a wonderfull  job with wow i admit , they went right to the core of human nature , thats why it's popular. imageMyself i could not stand the horrible attitude most wow players seem to have. crying over everything and being selfish and greedy.
    I don't blame the players for this, MMOs are games that are predicated on greed.  The designers know this.  Any game will have that.

Fixed that for you.

• JoekabukeJoekabuke Member Posts: 191
    I've been playing WoW since it came out and yes, there are some trolls out there, but for the most part, the community is pretty good. It's not EQ1 but it's much better than a lot of peeps give credit. 

• Originally posted by Coldmeat

Originally posted by mrots

I don't blame the players for this, MMOs are games that are predicated on greed.  The designers know this.  Any game will have that.

Fixed that for you.

Wrong.  Not all MMOs are loot whore grind fests.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There are children who are international grand masters at chess. I guess chess is a simple game for kids.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Shoot... I'm 49 years old... have played 6 or 7 different MMO's (and hundreds of other games the past 25 years) and ... I enjoy playing WOW. 

Always looking for a better game.... but don't waste my time slamming other games or the people who chose to play them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Coldmeat

Originally posted by mrotsBlizz did a wonderfull job with wow i admit , they went right to the core of human nature , thats why it's popular. imageMyself i could not stand the horrible attitude most wow players seem to have. crying over everything and being selfish and greedy.
    I don't blame the players for this, MMOs are games that are predicated on greed. The designers know this. Any game will have that.

Fixed that for you.
    Wrong. Not all MMOs are loot whore grind fests.

With the exception of oddball MMOs like Second Life, which is less a game, more a glorified chat room, I can't really think of any MMO that isn't about whack a foozle for xp and gear to whack bigger foozles. Eve, and CoX take a slightly different approach to the usual advancement track, but they still involve the 'upgrade yourself via loot' principle.

Loot whoring, however is not native to a particular game. That's a wholly player derived objective. Some people just have to be on the bleeding egde, gear wise, or whatever, so they can run around waving their epeens. I imagine there are people like that even in Eve, or CoX, where loot is a bit more secondary. And greed? Certainly not unique to MMOs. They just give a stage to people that are unable to be in government, or the corporate board room, so that they too can screw others over for one more penny.

• shadowdeath0shadowdeath0 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I played WOW for about a year, and i do gotta say, that it is for the younger ones but the game is content with things, besides a bad community( which support doesnt get back to you untill the next year). you know your kinda right, the people that play WOW just thrash each other. I mean yea their are little kids that should learn manners but if your mature and play this game and like it. Then go for it, im just saying that all the kids that play it should learn some manners.