Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real reason why people liked pre-cu so much was because of....

THE combat system. The combat in pre-cu looked beautiful. Sure there was some imbalances with mind poison and macros spams, but that could of been taken care of with the real pre-cu combat upgrade that they scraped.

The old combat system had:

Weapon recoil

Dodge animations

laser bolts would fly fast the target and hit the ground, or walls

if your character was hit hard, your character would make a sound

No particle effects

Everything moved in a nice flow

People actually used prone and kneel

People used hills as a advantage

Few examples of the old professions:

Being a carbineer, you felt like a inflitrator, charge in and knock down people or do supression fire

Riflemen were longranged fighters, they would stay away from the main battle area and sniper incapitaced enemy players.

jedi duel http://media.putfile.com/jedi-duel-11

I really don't know why SOE messed up the game so bad....

Comments

• SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094

Pre-cu was the best combat system I ever seen in any mmo and all they had to do was tweak a few things like: Mind damage, dizzy/kd, macro sploiters and certain professions like carboneer and pistoleer needed their specials fixed. Man I really wouldlike to see the end reslut of a polished Pre-cu omfg then maby SOE could have made the sub numbers WOW had but nope they went down stupid lane.

{(RIP)} SWG

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    pikeman anims where the reason i fell in love with it so much so what if it took me 30 mins longer to kill a krayt or elder i was doin it as a prof i loved and no one could step into 6 protecters better than a pikey .

that and the community and interdependance made it what it was the greatest mmorprg there has been and possibly ever will be.  Too many now are afraid to push the boundries and come up with a world and not a game.

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Originally posted by Slickinfinit

Pre-cu was the best combat system I ever seen in any mmo and all they had to do was tweak a few things like: Mind damage, dizzy/kd, macro sploiters and certain professions like carboneer and pistoleer needed their specials fixed. Man I really wouldlike to see the end reslut of a polished Pre-cu omfg then maby SOE could have made the sub numbers WOW had but nope they went down stupid lane.

I prefer guild wars combat system.  It is very deep even though its limited to 8 active skills at a time.
  • KillerJimmyKillerJimmy Member Posts: 216

Originally posted by thamighty213 
    Too many now are afraid to push the boundries and come up with a world and not a game.

So true. If it's not "warrior, mage, rogue, etc. with these three cities and 16 dungeons..." then there isn't a developer around who is willing to do it.

To be honest, my last hope for MMOs is on Bioware right now. If they don't come out with an amazing MMO from their Austin office I really don't think anybody else will. There might be a few pretty ones, a few with decent combat, a few with a good sandbox of a world...but I expect more. It's probably for the best anyway, it'll just lead to more time for reading, getting out with friends and family, etc.

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    The old combat system was great.  Now just imagine if they took out recursive macros, capped a few resources needed for doc buffs and armor, and made a few balance passes.....   Those simple things could have solved 90% of the problems with the combat system without affecting what it did so well. 

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• DragonosiDragonosi Member Posts: 13

It wasnt just the combat system though yes it was a wonderful thing to watch your toon roll a (place melee weapon here) around yerself as you bashed in yer apponents face, as well as the involintary gritting of your teeth as blaster bolts wiz by your head and kick up debris where they strike the gound nere you. But also the option of logging on and saying "Been a swordsman/pikeman for a while...hmmmm.... wonder if commando is all its cracked up to be" and right there and then drop your skills and start out hunting with skills youve not used before. No need to create a new toon...just pick it up and go. Options, personalizations, finite tweaking, PRIDE IN DOING WHAT YOU LIKE WHEN YOU LIKE TO DO IT!

Skill based and level based systems have been worked out to a wonderful degree for years in text games and SWG was the first true skill system i can recall in an MMO. Wait wait...EVE may have had the first but either way EVE is the only one i can think of that still utalises a skill system in any real form (wow is level based and talent placement is nifty however limited to a per class basis"

Leaving the core system of the game in the dust as was done rendered my copy of SWG useless and frankly I took that alone as a slap in the face. But as an aspiaring game designer Ive learned great lessons from $OE ...How not to run my game.

Dragonosi

Build a Rebel a fire, he will be warm for a night. LIGHT a Rebel on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443
    Personally i thought the combat looked horrible.

Like this for instance.

I really dont see much "beauty" in the above link. Combat in pre-cu was basically characters kneeling and proning constantly or getting knocked down and rubberbanding all over the place.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Every special had an animation. Every animation was unique.

Almost graceful.

I still don't know what possessed them to add all those ugly particle effects and remove 90% of the animations.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

That just looked lagged, must have been on Dantooine.  One move that always bugged me about the Jedi was the ghost walking.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371
    It is 50/50 Combat system and profession system for me. Both were equally important for Pre Cu being the best MMORPG around.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893

Where is the voting option for

I like the Pre-CU and only the Pre-CU.  I never got to see the CU first draft.  I only saw the presto change-o version.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Originally posted by Shayde

Almost graceful.

I still don't know what possessed them to add all those ugly particle effects and remove 90% of the animations.

That really was mind-boggling ... even moreso that they didn't give you the option of turning those butt-ugly particle effects OFF!

The first time I saw that nonsense I knew they'd stopped designing for anything remotely close to what I was interested in.

• WufaWufa Member Posts: 132
    Pre-CU was by far and away the best of the 3. If they had gone through with the original rebalance as opposed to the CU it would have been even better. The only thing they needed to do was lower the hard cap on Buffs and Armor, and a few tweaks to even out some professions. Nothing major.

It was fun, I liked being able to group if I felt like it, but also I liked not being forced to! If I wanted to go hunting on my own, then I could I didn't have to sit around and ask for groups. I could still get my xp and everything. It was also a lot more fun. If noone else was on I could still play, unlike the cU.

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Dog098

THE combat system. The combat in pre-cu looked beautiful. Sure there was some imbalances with mind poison and macros spams, but that could of been taken care of with the real pre-cu combat upgrade that they scraped.
    The old combat system had:
    Weapon recoil
    Dodge animations
    laser bolts would fly fast the target and hit the ground, or walls
    if your character was hit hard, your character would make a sound
    No particle effects
    Everything moved in a nice flow
    People actually used prone and kneel
    People used hills as a advantage
    Few examples of the old professions:
    Being a carbineer, you felt like a inflitrator, charge in and knock down people or do supression fire
    Riflemen were longranged fighters, they would stay away from the main battle area and sniper incapitaced enemy players.

I really don't know why SOE messed up the game so bad....

The combat system was better than what they've done since then but there was so much more to pre-cu that I miss.
  • LilTLilT Member Posts: 631

I really enjoyed pre-cu combat. One of the best things about it, imo, was the combat que. I thought it was great that you could que up moves, added a sense of urgency and strategy at the same time. Doctor buff nerfs could have gotten rid of the incessant spamming of specials, there was no need to remove the que for the nasty cool down timers they put in with the CU.

Pre-cu had hands down the best combat animations of any game i've played, mmo or not. I never realized how great they were until they were gone, but i still remember the first time i saw a tkm do ua3. It made me put down my pistol and pick up melee, thats for sure. And the pikeman animations were amazing as well. Hell, they all were. I can still picture what they all look like in my mind. I dont know anything about how they are made, but whoever did has talent.

And i wish i could find a link to the jedi duel i have saved on my comp, it's so pretty. :o

Aha!! found! Pre-cu Jedi Duel

For the Horde!

• Dog098Dog098 Member Posts: 11

pre-cu jedi fight  http://media.putfile.com/jedi-duel-11

best jedi duel ever

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by tillamook
    check this out http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3040600795844529694&q=pre-cu 

That looked absolutely horrible! They were standing like 10ft from eachother. At least nowadays it looks like youre hitting your opponent.

• KaairnKaairn Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by pirrg
    Personally i thought the combat looked horrible.

Like this for instance.

I really dont see much "beauty" in the above link. Combat in pre-cu was basically characters kneeling and proning constantly or getting knocked down and rubberbanding all over the place.

First ever post on these forums, previously a lurker. I know all about pirrg and his trolling ways, usually I ignore him when I see him post but he inspired me to join and post with the above silliness.

All I have to say is Watch this and tell me there's no beauty in the animations and the combat system that was cruelly ripped out of the game at both the CU and the NGE!
  • CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Wufa
    Pre-CU was by far and away the best of the 3. If they had gone through with the original rebalance as opposed to the CU it would have been even better. The only thing they needed to do was lower the hard cap on Buffs and Armor, and a few tweaks to even out some professions. Nothing major.

Caps, especially hard and low caps, are just a bad idea; CU was loaded with them. It might be a handy quick-fix to get a desired result but the side-effects are bad.

A better way would be diminishing returns on the effect of high secondary stats. No matter how high a stat went, encumbrance and HAM costs should never be nullified. Firing a special should always cost you something. Protection should also cost you in some way; uber-resist Composite only became "The One" armor, replacing most others, because its extreme encumbrance was negated by buffs.
  • Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by KzinKiller

Originally posted by Shayde

Almost graceful.

That really was mind-boggling ... even moreso that they didn't give you the option of turning those butt-ugly particle effects OFF!

The first time I saw that nonsense I knew they'd stopped designing for anything remotely close to what I was interested in.

Remember the blinding "I've just mounted my bike" flash?

The particle effects the CU brought in were terrible.  They finally toned them down a lot, but when the NGE came out they were back even worse than ever.  In fact, late in the CU they had even started adding animations back in, I recall one of the professions even had the old unarmedhit3 one (it wasn't TKA though which was dumb).

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by pirrg

Originally posted by tillamook
    check this out http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3040600795844529694&q=pre-cu 
    That looked absolutely horrible! They were standing like 10ft from eachother. At least nowadays it looks like youre hitting your opponent.

Surprisingly I agree with you that in that video, it looked ridiculous.  That was a staged video though, and in reality you did not always see that kind of distance between characters. 

I'm pretty sure we could use the NGE version of the game to put together a video with the same ridiculous gap between players.  It's endemic in MMORPGs.  Lag issues force you to allow a longer hittable range than you should for aesthetic reasons. 

The last jab I will take at the NGE is the quantity and quality of attack and defense animations.  Poke, Poke, Poke, Poke.  Yikes.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)