Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOL...Just, lol.

New Features:

•  Additional Profession Expertise System Rollout: Smugglers and Officers are the beneficiaries of all new skills and abilities in Chapter 3, allowing them to fully customize their characters and carve out their own place in the galaxy. Players will be able to earn up to 45 talent points as their characters progress to level 90, which they can spend as they please on new abilities and modifications to existing abilities.

WAKAWAKAWAKA!!!!

Somehow that reminds me of another game

Source:  http://soe.lithium.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=1145768#M1145768

Love, Sodapop

Comments

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

SWG is ghey

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• PrecursorPrecursor Member UncommonPosts: 150

monkey see, monkey do I guess.

I recently re-subbed galaxies out of boredom and noticed a new little skill system for my BH that nearly made me check my character info to confirm that my toon was indeed a Zabrak and not a night elf.

Shameful.

/shrug

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by SODAofBRIA

New Features:
    •  Additional Profession Expertise System Rollout: Smugglers and Officers are the beneficiaries of all new skills and abilities in Chapter 3, allowing them to fully customize their characters and carve out their own place in the galaxy. Players will be able to earn up to 45 talent points as their characters progress to level 90, which they can spend as they please on new abilities and modifications to existing abilities.

WAKAWAKAWAKA!!!!
    Source:  http://soe.lithium.com/swg/board/message?board.id=swggpdiscussion&message.id=1145768#M1145768

WoW, How innovative!

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

New Features:
    •  Additional Profession Expertise System Rollout: Smugglers and Officers are the beneficiaries of all new skills and abilities in Chapter 3, allowing them to fully customize their characters and carve out their own place in the galaxy. Players will be able to earn up to 45 talent points as their characters progress to level 90, which they can spend as they please on new abilities and modifications to existing abilities. WAKAWAKAWAKA!!!!

And Blizzard invented the concept and system right?

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Fadeus

Nope.. just perfected it and made it widely popular.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• broadzillabroadzilla Member Posts: 73

The thing that kills me is if SWG players wanted to play WOW they would have been playing it already and vice versa.

I just lost even more interest in the NGE, amazing I really didn't think that was possible.

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Shayde

Fadeus, you sidestep the point.  Good or bad, at least what we had before was mostly unique in the MMO universe.  SOE is not copying WoW because it's a better system, they're copying it only in the hopes of attracting a slice of the WoW player base.  SOE has become a follower, not a leader, in their own MMO.  That's the real tragedy of this whole damned thing.
  • RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Earliest I can remember this system is Diablo 2.

After searching a bit, I couldn't find or remember any other before then. Which would pre-date that?

I'm referring here to the system of boxes with increasing levels, organized into vertical fashion. Skill boxes are linked using either arrows or simply by requirements of different tiers. Each level allocates points to be put into these boxes.

The wow system is a clone of the one in Diablo 2, down to the number of pages and graphic layout/presentation.

Originally posted by FadeusAnd Blizzard invented the concept and system right?

Not sure I would agree with that. I feel Mythic did a superior job with it.

It's sad that they have gone to expertise in SWG from the diversity we did have. However there is nothing wrong with an expertise in itself and going on about copying WoW really isn't very accurate since WoW is nothing but a blend of EQ 1 and DAoC.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• UbermanUberman Member Posts: 340

Originally posted by Rekrul

The wow system is a clone of the one in Diablo 2, down to the number of pages and graphic layout/presentation.

Weren't Diablo and Diablo 2 already Blizzard properties?  I hardly think copying your own mechanisms qualifies in this case.

Originally posted by Uberman
    Fadeus, you sidestep the point.  Good or bad, at least what we had before was mostly unique in the MMO universe.  SOE is not copying WoW because it's a better system, they're copying it only in the hopes of attracting a slice of the WoW player base.  SOE has become a follower, not a leader, in their own MMO.  That's the real tragedy of this whole damned thing.

No, I just expect abit more then "lol, look, they are copying WoW again!"

And no, I highly doubt they are trying to get a slice of the WoW playerbase with this. By now I am positive they know just how much they aren't going to get any of that.

The expertise system came as a direct result of them making all the classes highly similar with the NGE and having to come up with an answer to the problem. As we all know the current dev team isn't very creative and an expertise system could be pushed into the NGE easily.

Expertise is damage control and nothing more.

- Scaris

Weren't Diablo and Diablo 2 already Blizzard properties?  I hardly think copying your own mechanisms qualifies in this case.

Yes. This is why I asked an example which uses such system that pre-dates the Diablo 2 (diablo 1 didn't use such system).

D2 released in 2000, which would mean the system would need to have been used in a published game in 1999 or earlier.

I don't know the entire PC gaming history by heart, there are whole genres I'm not familar with, so I really don't know if there's prior art.

Ya but I think he was actually answering me on it being a Blizzard original creation.

Mythic is the first to implement a system that is highly similar to WoW expertise. I hadn't thought of Diablo 2, different genre but still applicable.

- Scaris

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

New Features:

WAKAWAKAWAKA!!!!

At this point all they can do is this though.

Yes it is a total rip off, the best thing about this is that so many of these skills (At least Jedi) we had before and already earned.

Or worse, these are nothing more then some skills that are extra ones they never used.   Who knows,  they need to finsh this part and slate out what they can.

I'm more curious to see what happens in a couple months then now actually.

Ya but I think he was actually answering me on it being a Blizzard original creation.

Mythic is the first to implement a system that is highly similar to WoW expertise. I hadn't thought of Diablo 2, different genre but still applicable.

Which Mythic title?

If you go to Diablo 2 reference sites, you'll see that WoW and Diablo 2 use exactly the same skill system, including character stat advancement. A small exception is that attribute allocation in WoW uses auto allocation whereas D2 allowed custom advancement of different attributes.

But WoW is direct ancestor of Bnet, most notably Diablo 2. Therefore this is merely an advancement of concept and isn't considered copying, since WoW was designed to follow the legacy of D2. Same is true for Gulid Wars, but GW chose different conceptual aproach and bears less similarity to the title, although the legacy has never been denied, especially since they share the authors.

Originally posted by UbermanWeren't Diablo and Diablo 2 already Blizzard properties?  I hardly think copying your own mechanisms qualifies in this case.

Which Mythic title?If you go to Diablo 2 reference sites, you'll see that WoW and Diablo 2 use exactly the same skill system, including character stat advancement. A small exception is that attribute allocation in WoW uses auto allocation whereas D2 allowed custom advancement of different attributes.But WoW is direct ancestor of Bnet, most notably Diablo 2. Therefore this is merely an advancement of concept and isn't considered copying, since WoW was designed to follow the legacy of D2. Same is true for Gulid Wars, but GW chose different conceptual aproach and bears less similarity to the title, although the legacy has never been denied, especially since they share the authors.

DAoC

- Scaris

DAoC

Similar, but not applicable:

The game was developed by Mythic Entertainment and released on October 10, 2001.

So far, the earliest is still D2.

Diablo II, sequel to the popular Diablo, is an action role-playing game in a hack and slash or "Dungeon Roaming" style. It was released for both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS in 2000 by Blizzard Entertainment. Diablo II was developed by Blizzard North.

By April 2001, Diablo II had become one of the most popular online games ever.

DAoC

Similar, but not applicable:
    The game was developed by Mythic Entertainment and released on October 10, 2001.
    So far, the earliest is still D2.
    Diablo II, sequel to the popular Diablo, is an action role-playing game in a hack and slash or "Dungeon Roaming" style. It was released for both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS in 2000 by Blizzard Entertainment. Diablo II was developed by Blizzard North.By April 2001, Diablo II had become one of the most popular online games ever.

I already answered that above. And yes it's very applicable.

- Scaris

For the record, this is the D2 skill tree:

It's easy to see that it's completely identical to WoW's talent tree. 3 pages, boxes that can be leveled up, non-linear relations between them, tier-like aproach based on total number of points spent. Each point can be invested into any of 3 skill pages.

WoW is direct descendant off that.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    holy shit its been a long time since I played D2. You guys are right on that one
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

One addition:

They are copying WoW not for our benefit, but to make SWG "familliar" for a WoW player to play, thus increasing their chances of attracting/keeping them.

That is basically the NGE in a nutshell.  Make it comfortable for someone coming from WoW, add in free no work or wait Jedi, and boom. SWG has a million subs.

Or so someone deluded them self into believing.

Oh, and to do that they lost more than half the sub base with no end in sight.

Assuming they actually develop any more of the NGE, which I fully expect to get canceled before long, if you want to see what the other professions will get, and what the crafting revamp will be, look at WoW.  If WoW has it, SWG may get it.  If SWG has it and WoW works differently (see crafting), SWG's way will be ripped out and WoW's substituted.  It's all about making SWG hospitable to disgruntled former WoW players.  And there are fewer of them than there are disgruntled former SWG players, ironically.

Originally posted by Wildcat84

One addition:

They are copying WoW not for our benefit, but to make SWG "familliar" for a WoW player to play, thus increasing their chances of attracting/keeping them.

That is basically the NGE in a nutshell.  Make it comfortable for someone coming from WoW, add in free no work or wait Jedi, and boom. SWG has a million subs.

The link eludes me right now, but where/who was the talk about not trying to steal other games' customers, since they are happy playing their own games?
  • SODAofBRIASODAofBRIA Member Posts: 351

New Features:

WAKAWAKAWAKA!!!!

No...The idea that they were bringing this system in is old news.

The funny part is the wording. I'm guessing that it's a typo by TH or one of the DEVs, and they didn't really just rip the name straight from WoW after all the times they are accused of copying them? Are they really calling them TALENT POINTS? I thought it was an EXPERTISE system?

I think they need a proofreader or something...

Love, Sodapop

• wogeswoges Member Posts: 57
    I don't believe WoW players would shift to SWG
    for any real amount of time. The game plays like a dog, for most part WoW
    controls are very smooth and responsive, and I don't think that’s the case with
    SWG somehow.

• CastleGoobCastleGoob Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Wildcat84

One addition:

Assuming they actually develop any more of the NGE, which I fully expect to get canceled before long, if you want to see what the other professions will get, and what the crafting revamp will be, look at WoW.  If WoW has it, SWG may get it.  If SWG has it and WoW works differently (see crafting), SWG's way will be ripped out and WoW's substituted.  It's all about making SWG hospitable to disgruntled former WoW players.  And there are fewer of them than there are disgruntled former SWG players, ironically.

One addition:

An thats the problem. Wow players will have standards. They will expect a clean finished product. They will want something reliable, fun, bug free, populated.

In my opinion there more likely to try a newer product with better graphics not something this old with such a terrible history. LOTR maybe or something like that is more then likely to atract the wow masses. Its even more likely they will just continue to play wow for many years to come.

SWG had its audience and lost a massive chunk of it. Now what 3 years on, it expects to re populate itself with the newer gamers is just wishfull thinking in my opinion.

It can copy d2, copy every single aspect of every single game out there. its just abit late to re invent itself for a new audience in my oppinion.

One addition:

An thats the problem. Wow players will have standards. They will expect a clean finished product. They will want something reliable, fun, bug free, populated.

In my opinion there more likely to try a newer product with better graphics not something this old with such a terrible history. LOTR maybe or something like that is more then likely to atract the wow masses. Its even more likely they will just continue to play wow for many years to come.

SWG had its audience and lost a massive chunk of it. Now what 3 years on, it expects to re populate itself with the newer gamers is just wishfull thinking in my opinion.

It can copy d2, copy every single aspect of every single game out there. its just abit late to re invent itself for a new audience in my oppinion.

One addition: