Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Strategy Guide

Has any one bought a copy of the Strategy guide, it is the biggest loads of crap ive ever seen!! I bought it yesterday but im going to be taking it back today, it is basicaly an over sized instruction book, with a few funny comics and maps, but its not worth getting. It should be a book you can get from a libray and read for a day or two, it could be useful if you have never played an MMORPG, but if you have then dont get it. I just hope the shop let me take it back!

Comments

• randprinrandprin Member UncommonPosts: 61

the strategy guide is simply outdated.

it was well written and correct for US WoW beta (which is when it was published) but the game has changed so much in the two years that passed since then it is really no longer relevant or even correct in most areas.

the question remains why you bothered getting it now

MMORPG addict since 1995.

• hoodedmanhoodedman Member Posts: 8
    Hmmmmm heh i donno why i got it, but we all learn from our mistakes :P Taking it back later if they will take it. Oh well ill just find my own way around the game :D gotta learn some how.
  • VicerynViceryn Member Posts: 177

I bought the strategy guide at release and it was still outdated. If you read through it, you will see that they say "this is accurate as of beta". The guide is pretty good to look through whenever you are outside smoking a cigarette or sitting on the toilet, but as for a hardcore reference guide...not really. its about 55% accurate in my opinion. I would buy it today, but if you have it already, it is still kinda useful.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    buying strategy guides for MMORPG's is pointless. games get updated, changed, and on top if it all, most mmorpg's are so incredibly easy to play, that a strategy guide, or even a user manual, is not needed.

• brutotalbrutotal Member Posts: 276
    Most of the information you want out of a strategy guide for "hardcore" playing is online and constantly updating.

Current class guides, drop rates ect.

• VicerynViceryn Member Posts: 177

but the pictures are fun and when you are really excited about a game, it's good to have. but yeah, the internet is the best source for game related stuff. the book is very outdated.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Isn't there a blurb in the guide that states owners can download updated pages? I thought I saw an ad for a ring-binder version of the guide to fascilitate incorporating updats.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    man... stratergy guide is outdated and crap because its meant for blizzard to get more money :P

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199

The official guie is outdated, particularly about classes. But it is still one of the better written guides out there, and is a great introduction for someone new to MMORPG's. (I gave mine to a friend who came to WoW from the RTS games). But for a dedicated MMORPG playerit is really of limited Utility.

Of the published official books the most useful is the Atlas. mainly because it has a nice indexed listing of where to find all of the various NPC's and vendors. Very useful when you can't remember where you originally got the quest from to begin with, or if you got a quest via group "share". But even then you can still find all the info on web sites.