Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve announces 30000 concurent users - Blizz announces 1 billion $$$

RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Insane but true

Blizz just announced that they made their first BILLION $$$ and moving beyond.

To bad they decided to keep all the money instead investing it in the game

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Originally posted by Rattrap

Insane but true

Couldn't they both have been placed in their respective game forums?  Was it really any need to announce either bit here in the Pub?

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• trigger190trigger190 Member Posts: 264

Originally posted by Roin

Insane but true

Couldn't they both have been placed in their respective game forums?  Was it really any need to announce either bit here in the Pub?

Imagine how empty the general forums will be if every topic about a game would be posted in their game forums?
  • GorukhaGorukha Member Posts: 1,441
      LOL  take that Eve, you might achieve that much money if the game makers open up an item shop and live to be 200 years old .  EVE sux.

It's better be hated for who you are, than loved for who you aren't.

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

I fail to see what concurrent users and earnings have to do with each other, expect high earnings allow you to high the hardware needed for high concurrent users. But of course that's not what blizzard has done with it.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Oh...

I was sarcastic..hello!

Just making point. While some are trying to make things of quality, others are getting fooking ritch by selling limonade

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

To bad they decided to keep all the money instead investing it in the game image

THEY HAVE! But the keyword here is "Invested".
    New expansion is coming out soon, haven't you heard?

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me

Originally posted by SnaKey

THEY HAVE! But the keyword here is "Invested".
    New expansion is coming out soon, haven't you heard?

Thats expansion!?

More like patch others are giving for free...

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Thats expansion!?
    More like patch others are giving for free...

I'm still waiting for the World of Warcraft, Warcraft Expansion. You know the one that gives the game a bit of strategy and ability to build buildings? You know. Like if you were actually playing in the World of Warcraft? That one.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440
    I agree with you rattrap.  Vivendi is just hoarding all that money.  The Expansion should be considered a mockery with how much money they are making.  It looks to only cost 10 million and thats being optimistic.  but they will be making 250 million off the expansion.  If they spent alot more on it then maybe it would be more then just "patch 1.4"  The additions to the game are mediocre and it offers nothing new in game features to do.  All it allows is getting to level 70, and losing all the raid grinding you did at 60.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I see you're wearing your 'PWNT by Blizzard' shirt today Ratt. ^_^

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• SassymolassySassymolassy Member Posts: 363

Insane but true

Lol Rattrap

Dont go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. (Mark Twain)

• binary_0011binary_0011 Member Posts: 528
    are u sure it is in billion??  million is it?  billion and million is hell lota different.............

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440
    It would be impossible for it to be 1 million since they make atleast $30 million a month.

I read it today in a newspaper that have nothing to do with gaming what so ever as one of news in foreign section:

Blizzard reports 1 billion dollar revenue from World of Warcraft ,

and they continue talking about how new expansion is comming out and how this 1 billion is going to be more ...

Well watch out Microsoft

• RK-MaraRK-Mara Member Posts: 641
    I don't understand why you are so anti-Blizzard. They've made great games like Diablo II and Warcraft 3.

Blizzard made excelent games.

Some of the best games on Amiga and PC.

WOW is a good game aswell.

What happened after WOW made me change my mind , as i beheld Blizzard turn from game loving medium sized company into money grabbing BEHEMOTH that puts even SOE to shame

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263

Blizzard has always taken way "too long" to turn out expansions, and even the games themselves as far as I'm concerned.  But that isn't because they are lazy or cheap; it's because they have an obsession with quality that borders on psychosis.  As problems go, though, that's not the worst ailment a company can have.

I just tried out the Anarchy Online free trial.  I played for several hours -- well, ok, "played" may not be exactly the right word.  Actually, I just kept going on in awe of how incredibly bad the interface was.  What a mess.  And this is after 5 years!

And what about Sony?  EQ gave them something like a quarter of a billion dollars in revenue.  And what did they come up with?  EQ2!  All Blizzard did was take the same thing EQ did, remove the parts most people hated and made the rest work a LOT smoother.  Why is that a crime?

There's no reason to pick on Blizzard.  The bottom line is the bottom line, and why in heck should they "fix" their game when no one else on this particular planet can come anywhere close to the quality of their product?

Blizzard is the absolute best at taking the most popular elements of a genre and making them more palatable and accessible to much larger numbers of people.  That's their job, and they do it extraordinarily well.  It's every OTHER computer game company's job to come up with something original. 

Nothing bad in the world is Blizzard's fault.  If you want to complain to anyone, complain to all the people out there churning out formulaic MMORPGs that are almost certain to do the exact same kinds of things WoW does -- only a lot worse.  THEY are the ones who are screwing over the gaming customer (and themselves too, whether they realize it or not.)

• dtoxdtox Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by kopema

There's no reason to pick on Blizzard.  The bottom line is the bottom line, and why in heck should they "fix" their game when no one else on this particular planet can come anywhere close to the quality of their product?
    Blizzard is the absolute best at taking the most popular elements of a genre and making them more palatable and accessible to much larger numbers of people.  That's their job, and they do it extraordinarily well.  It's every OTHER computer game company's job to come up with something original. 
    Nothing bad in the world is Blizzard's fault.  If you want to complain to anyone, complain to all the people out there churning out formulaic MMORPGs that are almost certain to do the exact same kinds of things WoW does -- only a lot worse.  THEY are the ones who are screwing over the gaming customer (and themselves too, whether they realize it or not.)

It's not fair to give blizzard any credit at all then. As they did not come up with anything new. Sure, the game was fun in the beginning for like the first 2-3 weeks of llving then some raiding on that.. so say a few months in total. It also shows that blizzard have very little experince to run a mmo.

It's allways as funny to read about how games after wow is a copy cat of the golden wow. Take WAR for example. How many opinions dont you read about how its a wow copy this and a wow copy that. Comon.. realy...

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and my opinion alone. I will probably get flamed and I dont care. I do have my own opinion and im proud of it. I also want to say sorry in advance for my spelling

Originally posted by dtox

Blizzard is the absolute best at taking the most popular elements of a genre and making them more palatable and accessible to much larger numbers of people.  That's their job, and they do it extraordinarily well.   It's every OTHER computer game company's job to come up with something original. 

It's not fair to give blizzard any credit at all then. As they did not come up with anything new.  Sure, the game was fun in the beginning for like the first 2-3 weeks of llving then some raiding on that.. so say a few months in total. It also shows that blizzard have very little experince to run a mmo.

Of course it's "fair" to give Blizzard credit for making a game that millions of people think is fun to play.

And if you believe (rightly or wrongly) that Blizzard has no idea how to run an MMO, then you should be happy they are taking a conservative approach to expansion.  So what's the problem?

Originally posted by Munki
    This is just silly. Why do people have such a problem admitting WoW is a good game.
    Wow haters reject reality almost as fast as Christians do.

If they were doing a bad job, nobody would play.

And if all those far less popular (but supposedly more "creative") games out there are so gosh darned important, then why don't the Blizzard haters each go out and buy 10 copies to support them?

If we make no accounting for taste, and eliminate any discussion whatsoever of the possiblity that the way one person likes to play is somehow "better" or "worse" than any other, what does that leave us with?  Basically, the people who hate WoW for taking over the market are really just blaming Blizzard for the fact that they are weird.

• ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572

Originally posted by dtox

It's not fair to give blizzard any credit at all then. As they did not come up with anything new. Sure, the game was fun in the beginning for like the first 2-3 weeks of llving then some raiding on that.. so say a few months in total. It also shows that blizzard have very little experince to run a mmo.

It's allways as funny to read about how games after wow is a copy cat of the golden wow. Take WAR for example. How many opinions dont you read about how its a wow copy this and a wow copy that. Comon.. realy...

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and my opinion alone. I will probably get flamed and I dont care. I do have my own opinion and im proud of it. I also want to say sorry in advance for my spelling

It perfectly acceptable to give credit to a game that borrows concepts from other games, when said game is funnier than the games it was inspired from.   I hear people all the time talking about how "easy" WoW is, and that in of itself is an innovation when compared to other games with their ridiculous amounts of grinding needed for leveling. 
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Originally posted by ConverseSC
    It perfectly acceptable to give credit to a game that borrows concepts from other games, when said game is funnier than the games it was inspired from.   I hear people all the time talking about how "easy" WoW is, and that in of itself is an innovation when compared to other games with their ridiculous amounts of grinding needed for leveling. 

Do you raid?
  • ConverseSCConverseSC Member Posts: 572
    I don't play the game anymore, so no. 

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956

Originally posted by Gorukha
      LOL  take that Eve, you might achieve that much money if the game makers open up an item shop and live to be 200 years old .  EVE sux.

So now unless a mmo makes a billion dollars its a failure of a game?

Who would have thought that 5.4 million a year rated as a failure.....

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

• admiralnlsonadmiralnlson Member UncommonPosts: 240

double post again, grrr!!!
    give me phpbb !!!!

delete please.

---
    Waiting for: GW2
    *thumbs up*: GW, Eve(, WoW)
    *thumbs down*: MO, GA, FE