Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Nightfall event ended. (afterthoughts)

BronxChuloBronxChulo Member Posts: 166

Well after playing Nightfall I thought I would give my point on it.  To start, Nightfall is very well put together.  The story line seems like it will be very indepth.  Nightfall IMO blows Factions right out of the water, and seems like overall it may be just as much or bigger in storyline than Prophcies was.

There are some new spells that are very nice and I'm sure will change the way pvp and gvg is played.  For example, Elementalist have this earth spell that is "armor" that cuts damage by so much depending on your earth skill level.  If it's high enough it can basically cut all damage down to nothing.

The new hero system is nice.  Along the way you get these hero's that you add to your party that go along with the quests or missions that you are doing.  You can completly customize your hero's anyway you want.  For example, the first hero you get to use is Koss, who is a warrior.  Hero's get all of the spells you have unlocked for that job, so Koss has all the warrior skills I have unlocked.  Also, hero's can have a secondary job.  So I made Koss a warrior/monk, which means he also got all the spells that I have unlocked for the monk.  You can equip your hero's with new weapon's and armor, dye it colors, and redo their attritubte points to match the skills they are using.

So far I only got 3 hero's that joined in on how far I got.  I'm assuming that as the story goes on you will have alot of different hero's to choose from.  As far as I know you can only have 3 hero's in your party at a time.  The hero's do level up just like you do.

The new UI is better in my opinion.  When out in the world on your compass you have little control buttons that you can use to send your henchmen and heros to move to different places on the map.  On your mini-map and compass now also displays the "collectors" that are out on the field.

Overall the whole world map seems bigger, and there seems to be tons of quests to get while you are outside in the world.  I would say in my opinion that Guild Wars: Nightfall will be the best yet so far.  For those that are thinking about getting into Guild Wars, this should be the one you get.

Well that's my afterthought about the game.  1 month to go till release and I can't wait.

Comments

• BronxChuloBronxChulo Member Posts: 166
    Ok seriously I have tried to fix this post like 10 to make paragraphs but everytime I hit save changes it just stays like it is.  Sorry people.
  • hadzhadz Member Posts: 712

Ditto to bascially everything that Bronx said.

On the Heroes...I'm pretty sure I read that you can't dye (or change) their armor in any way except to add/change Runes (the armor levels automatically as the Hero levels). I also heard that there's going to be around 20 Heroes, but you won't be able to collect them all on one character (no Pokemon here :). I personally found 6 in the preview event, but 2 of them I had to choose between (an Ele and a Ranger). Which makes the first 6 heroes: Warrior, Monk, Dervish, Monk, Elementalist & Ranger (with your choice of secondaries, even Factions ones...woot!).

The story (what I've seen of it) is inventive, fun and seems like it will play through at a similar leveling and pacing to Prophecies. I really feel that Nightfall's story line will be more coherent, more involved and more fun to play than even Prophecies', and the fact that what we got to see was JUST the BEGINNER'S island makes me think this even more. Plus, it has the added benefit of an "army ranks" levelling track!

For all you "runners" out there...it also appears that (though there are some locked gates) the game will have backways that can be run to. (For example, on beginners island, you can be run imediately to the highest armor town without following the storyline) I'm yet to decide whether this is a good thing or not, though by the time I'm running my 4th or 5th character through the story...you know how it is.

On the armor, it also appears to be far cheaper than the previous games at lower levels. The top armor available on the island (for a dervish) is 50AL, and with Dervish maxing at 70, that's pretty high. But it only costs 150g a piece and takes just 25/25 materials for the whole set (IIRC).

Overall, I think Nightfall is going to be amazing!! I'm glad I preordered the CE months ago...haha.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by hadz
    (...)
    On the armor, it also appears to be far cheaper than the previous games at lower levels. The top armor available on the island (for a dervish) is 50AL, and with Dervish maxing at 70, that's pretty high. But it only costs 150g a piece and takes just 25/25 materials for the whole set (IIRC).(...)

I am think that is for preview event only because Anet didnt want people going against level 14+ monsters with only basic armor. (I had easily 1plat+ after buying skills & getting weapon + armor by just selling junk to merchant).
  • emdtemdt Member Posts: 325

Originally posted by JelloB2000

Originally posted by hadz
    (...)
    On the armor, it also appears to be far cheaper than the previous games at lower levels. The top armor available on the island (for a dervish) is 50AL, and with Dervish maxing at 70, that's pretty high. But it only costs 150g a piece and takes just 25/25 materials for the whole set (IIRC).

(...)
    I am think that is for preview event only because Anet didnt want people going against level 14+ monsters with only basic armor. (I had easily 1plat+ after buying skills & getting weapon + armor by just selling junk to merchant).

yep, they prob jack up the crafting materials cost and gold at the release. though im not sure about the AL. 70 for a peice of cloth?

---------------------------------------------
    *characters*
    Guild Wars
    -Danish Kokor-lvl 20 monk/mesmer
    -Ettarde Aoi- lvl 7 warrior/ranher
    Maple Story
    -Danish-lvl30 Hunter
    -kokore-lvl8 Mage
    Runescape
    -Lady Ettarde-lvl 58

• XeroKnightXeroKnight Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I don't know why, but i didn't really like it that much. I thought it was kind of boring. I mean some of the missions were really fun, but I got bored of it really fast. But I'm not stopping any of you gusy from likeing the game lol. 

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844
    sounds better then factions :)

• Originally posted by Aseenus
    sounds better then factions :)

I have to admit I couldn't get into Factions, I like what they were trying to do and Cantha was real nice, but it just didn't grab me.  Although Ritualist is a rather intersting class.  But I played the Primary quest line all the way through on the Preview event (they say thank you for playing the preview at the last one ;) )  and I thought it was great.  Mostly it was the Heroes I think.  The henchmen are sooooooooo much less frustrating and the new dimension of team builds and advancing each hero and acquiring them is just very attractive.

There is no question in my mind I am buying it.
  • DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I never played GW at all, so the Nightfall event was like a 2 day free trial for me.

I enjoyed it so much I picked up Prophecies yesterday. 

So the 1st game should keep me quite busy for a while, if I do get another expansion it would probably be Nightfall as I have heard that Factions was a tad disappointing. 

Dern NC Soft and their addicting games!! lol

• shock090shock090 Member Posts: 32
    Compared to factions, nightfall looks so much better.  Factions was gd and all but just annoyed me in a way.  .  Anyway it said on the website that they were gonna get rid of your preview event char, i am indeed quite happy that they didnt.  The bonus pack for nightfall, I havent seen it on the shevles yet at all btw. 

• Originally posted by shock090
    Compared to factions, nightfall looks so much better.  Factions was gd and all but just annoyed me in a way.  .  Anyway it said on the website that they were gonna get rid of your preview event char, i am indeed quite happy that they didnt.  The bonus pack for nightfall, I havent seen it on the shevles yet at all btw. 

They didn't get rid of them? ack I deleted mine.
  • hadzhadz Member Posts: 712

They don't delete the character (because name and "look" are reserved) but you will be reset to Lvl 1, no stuff, no quest completions, etc.

• exanimoexanimo Member UncommonPosts: 1,301

i loved the event , new heros system , the quests , the promotion points ranks ... nice new stuff

the end of the event was a bit desapoitment , everyone was expecting gwen and she didnt apear ...

not the frog , not gaile , giant worms , mad king , dragons , nothing ....

i was in kamadan for 5 or 6 hours dancing lol

we did a conga btw ( WITHOUT YOU GAILE ! ::::01::)

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Gee, NC Soft is pulling profits from GW, CoH and CoV, not to mention its other titles. So, when do they buy Blizzard? j/k ::::02::

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

Originally posted by VGJustice

Gee, NC Soft is pulling profits from GW, CoH and CoV, not to mention its other titles. So, when do they buy Blizzard? j/k ::::02::

Sadly, these all just appear to be "trinket" games compared to the giant that is WoW.
  • coooki3coooki3 Member Posts: 21

as to say nightfall was pretty good

but the preview time was only 3days

i think its a little low.  and until game release there is 1 month i cant wait to get my hands on nightfall

already preordered it  and for the rest of ppl getting into guildwars nightfall will be a pretty good start

cuz its so easy to understand the beginning of it all the gameplay is explained pretty well.

no mindgames or anything that u have to think hard to get forward its all pretty easy.

and guildwars  have always been ;)   

but still its good that nightfall came more like prophecies cuz i dont really like factions too much china crap.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!