Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please note all prospective buyers of SWG and this forum

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Not to add disparaging comments, but the point is very appropriate.

Don't spend a dime on it to try it out. Download the trial.

Just keep in mind that the trial is the most bug-free, content-filled part of the game. A well done trial, I give them that.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Shayde
    Not to add disparaging comments, but the point is very appropriate.Don't spend a dime on it to try it out. Download the trial.Just keep in mind that the trial is the most bug-free, content-filled part of the game. A well done trial, I give them that.

hmm, I allways thought the trial sucked. I hated that attempt at "content" in it.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Why is this thread still open? Its a troll attempt.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

A troll attempt lol. Did u even read the post?

Originally posted by Spathotan

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by hargrave

A troll attempt lol. Did u even read the post?

Originally posted by Spathotan

Yes I did, twice. And the mods did as well.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• UnagiUnagi Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by iskareot 
    At this point is when I bite my lip and or fingers.

Who are you - and what have you done to the real Iskareot?

• Daed710Daed710 Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by tillamook
    For new people: When you get in to the game ask the first person you see riding a mount if they can give you one.  Oh that's right, no CH in game anymore to make pets. Broken mechanic or working as intended? 
    Many mounts are attainable through quests on Kashyyyk and one in the Legacy.  Not the Bols, Kaduus, Cu-Pa's, etc though...

Since when has the number "3" been considered "many" of anything?   (Varactyl, Kash Bantha, Bolotaur)

I'd say, to most of the world, 3 items would be considered "a few", least thats my opinion, lol

Ok, so we have Obraiks "many" available Kashyyyk mounts (oh btw, only 2 quest pets on Kash, the 3rd one, the Varactyl, you get for purchasing the RoTW expansion, Im unsure if you also get that pet for purchasing the "Starter Kit" box that includes RoTW?  If somebody that actually bought the Starter Kit could enlighten us, thatd be nice) and we have the 1 legacy quest mount, plus the Lava Flea you get from buying the ToOW expansion (also unsure if you get this for a Starter Kit purchase?)  for a massive grand total of 5, count em 5, glorious mounts to be had in the NGE, woooot!

[Never mind the fact that preNGE BioEngineers could craft a total of 68 different creature pets for Creature Handlers to train or mount, of course not all 68 were mountable, but I think we get the point, lol]

The problem I have here is that Obraiks descriptions of SWG tend to conveniently leave out negative aspects of the game, and exaggerate the positive aspects, to the point that many vets tend to see Obraiks posts as being not entirely truthful, even though he rarely, if ever, outright lies (at least not on purpose it seems).  

"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.
    We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Originally posted by Daed710

For new people: When you get in to the game ask the first person you see riding a mount if they can give you one.  Oh that's right, no CH in game anymore to make pets. Broken mechanic or working as intended? 
    Many mounts are attainable through quests on Kashyyyk and one in the Legacy.  Not the Bols, Kaduus, Cu-Pa's, etc though...

Since when has the number "3" been considered "many" of anything?   (Varactyl, Kash Bantha, Bolotaur)

I'd say, to most of the world, 3 items would be considered "a few", least thats my opinion, lol

Ok, so we have Obraiks "many" available Kashyyyk mounts (oh btw, only 2 quest pets on Kash, the 3rd one, the Varactyl, you get for purchasing the RoTW expansion, Im unsure if you also get that pet for purchasing the "Starter Kit" box that includes RoTW?  If somebody that actually bought the Starter Kit could enlighten us, thatd be nice) and we have the 1 legacy quest mount, plus the Lava Flea you get from buying the ToOW expansion (also unsure if you get this for a Starter Kit purchase?)  for a massive grand total of 5, count em 5, glorious mounts to be had in the NGE, woooot!

[Never mind the fact that preNGE BioEngineers could craft a total of 68 different creature pets for Creature Handlers to train or mount, of course not all 68 were mountable, but I think we get the point, lol]

The problem I have here is that Obraiks descriptions of SWG tend to conveniently leave out negative aspects of the game, and exaggerate the positive aspects, to the point that many vets tend to see Obraiks posts as being not entirely truthful, even though he rarely, if ever, outright lies (at least not on purpose it seems).  

we're talking about Mounts, not pets in general.  I think there were around 5-10 different CH/BE related mounts...

we're talking about Mounts, not pets in general.  I think there were around 5-10 different CH/BE related mounts...

Did you even fully read my post, or did you just blindly jump to defend the NGE once again?   Im being serious here.   I'll highlight that portion of my post, for those that didnt see it the 1st time around...

"Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now.

Did you even fully read my post, or did you just blindly jump to defend the NGE once again?   Im being serious here.   I'll highlight that portion of my post, for those that didnt see it the 1st time around...

I saw it, I don't understand why you put in there in the first place since we're talking about mounts...not pets in general ;)

In comparison to the number of mounts a CH could make, 5 mounts would be considered many.

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

Originally posted by hargrave

******DISCLAIMER******
    Do not buy this game without trying a free trial no matter what be it a friend that has it or an official free trial. Being a veteran I have a biased an opinion like 98% of the veteran community. Most of the veterans of the game have left and the servers now a days are very very dry empty. {edited for flaming}  So like I said do not buy this game without trying it free for awhile on a trial account or from a friend do not pay until you have played it and experienced it for yourself. If you find you like it fine come in here and say so. If you find its empty and what I said in here was true please say so. {edited for flaming}DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF BUYING ON WORD OF MOUTH AND FORUMS TRY A FREE TRIAL FIRST !!

I would like to add that I also recommend you try a game for yourselve and free is free.  Please dont ignore the descenters here because we offer some truths.

I am forwarning you not to get to attached to ingame items, wealth or special unique ingame systems.  As a vetern of this game I am still allowed to post here on this topic.  They royally screwed over multiple professions, and threw out months and years of character progressions, backstory and fun I invested in there product in hopes of boosting subscriber numbers.  The changes you may be forced to endure by soe probably won't meet with community acceptance at any reasonable level and still be forced out.  As demonstrated here with the resentment towards soe and swg there is a lot of fustration and anger due to changes made without the consideration for existing customers.  If you take up swg I want you to have been warned about this.  They also pulled a bait and switch tactic with pre-orders of an expansion before releasing an unpopular version of the game requiring them to offer a refund to all customers who pre-ordered.  

Never pre-pay months with soe as they do not refund pre-paid time.  I learned that the hard way as well when they revamped the game to a system I no longer enjoyed and was not given a refund of my money for time not yet spent.

They have demonstrated time and again a willingness to push unfinished product to market.  They self admit the nge was not ready for release.  They tested a New Game for all of two weeks.  It is now over 6 months and the nge still doesn't have basic core functionality and professions fully fleshed out.

You are imo paying to beta test for SOE.

I dont think I violated any rules by posting this here and I believe I followed the intent of the rules.  If I didn't please understand I tried to stay true to the guidelines.

I saw it, I don't understand why you put in there in the first place since we're talking about mounts...not pets in general ;)

In comparison to the number of mounts a CH could make, 5 mounts would be considered many.

LOL, keep telling yourself that if you like, but your use of the word "many" to describe the 3 available Kashyyyk pets is exaggerating in my book (which is how you used the word in your post).   

My point in bringing up the idea that there was 68 different pets available preNGE (not to mention you could also get the ones you mentioned during the preNGE, making it 72 diff pets total) was to bring to light the fact that what is available now pet-wise was laughable compared to preNGE availabilty, and I made sure to state the fact not all 68 were mountable to prevent any misunderstanding or nit-picking of the number.

So, for the people that dont gain any insight from that small fact, I'll narrow it down to a mounts-only number Obraiks more comfortable with...

PreNGE we had 12 total available mounts (that I can remember off-hand, enlighten me if theres more)

NGE we have 5 total available mounts (4 of which were also available during the preNGE and require the purchase of the 2 expansion packs.  If you dont purchase the 2 expansions, then SWG Starter Kit buyers available pets would only be 1 total, the legacy quest carrion spat)

So to sum it all up...

12 > 5 (or 1 if you only purchase the Starter Kit, and not the 2 expansions)

and...

3 is not considered to be "many"

LOL, keep telling yourself that if you like, but your use of the word "many" to describe the 3 available Kashyyyk pets is exaggerating in my book (which is how you used the word in your post).   
    My point in bringing up the idea that there was 68 different pets available preNGE (not to mention you could also get the ones you mentioned during the preNGE, making it 72 diff pets total) was to bring to light the fact that what is available now pet-wise was laughable compared to preNGE availabilty, and I made sure to state the fact not all 68 were mountable to prevent any misunderstanding or nit-picking of the number.
    So, for the people that dont gain any insight from that small fact, I'll narrow it down to a mounts-only number Obraiks more comfortable with...
    PreNGE we had 12 total available mounts (that I can remember off-hand, enlighten me if theres more)
    NGE we have 5 total available mounts (4 of which were also available during the preNGE and require the purchase of the 2 expansion packs.  If you dont purchase the 2 expansions, then SWG Starter Kit buyers available pets would only be 1 total, the legacy quest carrion spat)
    So to sum it all up...
    12 > 5 (or 1 if you only purchase the Starter Kit, and not the 2 expansions)
    and...
    3 is not considered to be "many"

If all you have is nitpicking at what might have been the wrong choice of a word, then you're obviously running out of things to pick at me about :P  The point was, you can still aquire mounts in the NGE and those 12 original mounts are still available to you if you find someone willing to sell one that they aquired pre-nge no matter what level they are.  Yes, there are a limited number of mounts you can get freely in the NGE, but I've never said there were more available now then there was pre-nge.  Specific enough for you? :P

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth
    well, Considering that all most all mobs could be tamed, by
    a profession, and then sold, trained, and even included in performances. Yes,
    they are content.  The feature of traning your pet to do a trick from the
    list available was also content, Traning it threw the use of training skills to
    follow your commands were content.
    Naming, Training, And making it perform are content.
    Keep in mind that Creature handler was the SEG equivalent of a necromancer. So,
    you just said that a necromancer is not content.
    There was once an entire profession that would consider your statement wrong.
    Players would ask said player that they wanted X type of pet... That player would
    spend his time trying to find a baby to tame (Most times travling to other planets, and going into harsh, un tamead areas that are very dangerious. Have YOU ever tryed to tame a baby Rancore in the middle of the swamp srounded by ARGO mama rancores?), then he would help it grow, then
    train it... then sell it to the player that requested it.
    How is that not content?
    Out of all of that, what is left as far as game play Compared to what was once
    in the game?
    Mounts, that can't attack. Some being mounts that players had customized using
    the above processes that got nerfed to fit with this new shallow feature.
    So, once again. yes, its removed content.So for the ADD.Pets or mounts in NGE != Content (This i agree with you on)Pets PRE-NGE == More content than you can shake a tamed bantha at.

Umm, no. Those are game features.

I understand your point but to say they removed content I feel is an inaccuracy. And yes, they removed many features from the game with the NGE. That has already been established a hundred fold and I don't even see anyone argueing that fact.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

If all you have is nitpicking at what might have been the wrong choice of a word, then you're obviously running out of things to pick at me about :P  The point was, you can still aquire mounts in the NGE and those 12 original mounts are still available to you if you find someone willing to sell one that they aquired pre-nge no matter what level they are.  Yes, there are a limited number of mounts you can get freely in the NGE, but I've never said there were more available now then there was pre-nge.  Specific enough for you? :P

lol, well you missed the point completely then.   It was you who went the route of nitpicking the numbers I used, so I clarified them.   My main point was that your post bordered on dishonesty in my opinion.   Let me cut-n-paste a portion of my 1st post in regards to your remark, as it pretty much explains why I posted in the first place...

What made me feel like bringing that to light was your post that "Many mounts are attainable thru quests on Kashyyyk and one in the legacy" in response to a post by tillamook talking about the difficulty in getting a creature mount since NGE got rid of creature handlers etc.  

The way you said that makes it appear (to those that dont know better, like the poor souls thinking of trying this bug ridden beta test) as if theres lots of mounts to get ingame, no problem at all, mounts grow on trees etc etc (Im being a bit sarcastic here, but you get the point), its deceiving imho to make a statement like that, to say "many mounts are attainable.." is, at the very least, sugar-coating the current situation ingame, and you know it, especially in a thread warning new players about bad aspects of NGE-SWG.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Originally posted by Fadeus

well, Considering that all most all mobs could be tamed, by
    a profession, and then sold, trained, and even included in performances. Yes,
    they are content.  The feature of traning your pet to do a trick from the
    list available was also content, Traning it threw the use of training skills to
    follow your commands were content.
    Naming, Training, And making it perform are content.
    Keep in mind that Creature handler was the SEG equivalent of a necromancer. So,
    you just said that a necromancer is not content.
    There was once an entire profession that would consider your statement wrong.
    Players would ask said player that they wanted X type of pet... That player would
    spend his time trying to find a baby to tame (Most times travling to other planets, and going into harsh, un tamead areas that are very dangerious. Have YOU ever tryed to tame a baby Rancore in the middle of the swamp srounded by ARGO mama rancores?), then he would help it grow, then
    train it... then sell it to the player that requested it.
    How is that not content?
    Out of all of that, what is left as far as game play Compared to what was once
    in the game?
    Mounts, that can't attack. Some being mounts that players had customized using
    the above processes that got nerfed to fit with this new shallow feature.
    So, once again. yes, its removed content.

So for the ADD.Pets or mounts in NGE != Content (This i agree with you on)Pets PRE-NGE == More content than you can shake a tamed bantha at.

Umm, no. Those are game features.

I understand your point but to say they removed content I feel is an inaccuracy. And yes, they removed many features from the game with the NGE. That has already been established a hundred fold and I don't even see anyone argueing that fact.

Sorry
    man, that IS content. Content does not need to throw its self at you to be
    content.

Content can be generated by other players and the interactions they have with
    others... All of the above supports this.

After all, the major part Of a MMO is the content created by others in the same
    space.

If i was to take your logic, PvP is not content, nor is the person you are
    attacking...they are features. Therefore cannot be considered content because
    it part of game play created by two players coming together.

I’m thinking your idea of content is a mesh with a texture...and that is so not
    the case, or definition of content (and yes there are many).

So, bottom line...they removed content by 1). Removing many mounts 2) removing
    interactions between players 3) removing the CH profession from the game (see 1
    and 2)

Its also the kind of content that attracts and keeps long
    term players, as there is a time and emotion investment in what I described.

Delivering a stack of wookie hair to get a mount does not a player keep.

And BTW, if i am making an inaccuracy then so are every other developer
    out there. Not that you would believe me. someone posting on a forums. who you don’t
    know. But i have read so many studies and papers as well as postmortems on this
    subject it isn’t funny.

Its common knowledge that when you engage your players with one another you get
    longer subscription times...

Hence why SWG developers are the laughing stock of the Development community.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358

People said that RF online was a pile of crap, and they were right. At least I didn't spend $50 on it, I did the trial. People said EVE Online isn't so bad but gets boring after a while, they were right. When people said the NGE is still just as much a load as it was when I left I didn't believe them. I went back and what do you know, after 2 days I really regretted re-subbing. If you don’t like the nge in the beginning chances are you are never gonna like it. I’m glad people give their opinions on the forums because it saves me a lot of money. Most of the time if 1 out of 5 people say something sucks, it isn't always the case. If 3 out 5 people say it sux, chances are it sux.

i spent $50 on RF online and it sucks.....and he's right, most of the time if people say something sucks, most of the time it does suck=(

however, you gotta see if it sucks for you, so always try games....dont try RF online tho, seriously....

Sorry
    content.
    space.
    and 2)
    out there. Not that you would believe me. someone posting on a forums. who you don’t
    subject it isn’t funny.

You cannot remove player driven content from a game. The player still has the option to roleplay any aspect he wants. They did however hinder it and remove a point of the economy.

And no, PvP is not content. According to you an MMO is nothing but content. That would mean when combat is buggy it's really buggy content. PvP is not a feature however. It is function of the game and a combat mechanic. From everything you are describing to me unless there is a mechanic in the game to support it player driven content doesn't exhist. You can't roleplay for the sake of roleplay.

My idea of content is a mesh with texture? Are you kidding me? That is twice you have tried to describe some concept I have about gaming and been completely off the mark and not even close. It seems you have made some very wrong presumptions about me and keep drawing your guesstimates about my gaming preferences from them.

You blur the line between content and functionality and I have a very defining line between the two. We are just going to have to disagree with each other because I am not going to call any interaction 2 people do in a game content. If that was the case Battlefield 2 would be a content rich enviroment.

- Scaris

Originally posted by pirrg
    oh for the love of...

you guys have your own forum now, please keep your lies and slander there thanks.

What lies?

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Sorry
    content.
    space.
    and 2)

subject it isn’t funny.

You cannot remove player driven content from a game. The player still has the option to roleplay any aspect he wants. They did however hinder it and remove a point of the economy.

And no, PvP is not content. According to you an MMO is nothing but content. That would mean when combat is buggy it's really buggy content. PvP is not a feature however. It is function of the game and a combat mechanic. From everything you are describing to me unless there is a mechanic in the game to support it player driven content doesn't exhist. You can't roleplay for the sake of roleplay.

My idea of content is a mesh with texture? Are you kidding me? That is twice you have tried to describe some concept I have about gaming and been completely off the mark and not even close. It seems you have made some very wrong presumptions about me and keep drawing your guesstimates about my gaming preferences from them.

You blur the line between content and functionality and I have a very defining line between the two. We are just going to have to disagree with each other because I am not going to call any interaction 2 people do in a game content. If that was the case Battlefield 2 would be a content rich enviroment.

Well, then I apologize for the assumption.

Ill dig up some articles for you.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Well, then I apologize for the assumption.
    Ill dig up some articles for you.

No big deal, we just see things 2 different ways. It doesn't change the fact that they took all that stuff out. They did and they shouldn't have.

You call it content, I call it features and functionality. Either way it still means less now then before.

- Scaris

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Actually piirg its not slander.......

When its written Its called libel I believe.....

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

People said that RF online was a pile of crap, and they were right. At least I didn't spend $50 on it, I did the trial. People said EVE Online isn't so bad but gets boring after a while, they were right. When people said the NGE is still just as much a load as it was when I left I didn't believe them. I went back and what do you know, after 2 days I really regretted re-subbing. 

I had the opposite results.

I could not stand SWG on release. I tried it about a year later, it wasn't any better... same grind, advancement at a crawl couldn't be what I wanted to be/etc.

Then comes NGE and I tried it out again. I was able to play what I wanted to, advance at a reasonable pace and I actually enjoyed it a LOT. I am still playing it many months later.

As to going by what people say... they said EvE was a great game, garbage. Sorry a glorified Trade Wars game that thinks 30k people online at one time is something to crow about. Sorry but DAoC in it's decline now hits those numbers and thats pathetic.

• dokardokar Member Posts: 52

Sorry
    content.
    space.
    and 2)

subject it isn’t funny.

You don't consider Roleplaying to be player made content?

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

For all those who say the servers are not much more empty than pre NGE, I came back this month to see friends(for the record I'm on Wanderhome) and guess what the servers are pretty empty.  I had one friend left in the entire game, thats right 3 years playing and one person left that I knew.  My guild that was over 100 members when I left and 200 plus pre CU was dead, noone left.  I figured I had my station pass for a month so I continued to look for the "improvements" of NGE and tried to find groups for the droid factory and the like and it just isn't possible anymore on wanderhome.  I asked one guy if he wanted to do the droid factory and he asked how many I had, I told him he'd be the first and he said "lol good luck getting a group", that pretty much sums it up.  On my server the players that are left are A. new to the game and below 50 alot of the time B. PVPing because there is so little left for the player at 90, or C. are at the DWB farmin for stuff to sell on the Wanderhome forums because the inflation has gotten so outta hand without items degrading. 

These are my experiences from my server THIS month, I'm not trolling, I'm not posting inaccurate information, I'm giving FACTS so when the diehards from the other side say o he's just a NGE hater, well yeah I hate NGE but I also loved SWG enough that I gave the game a second chance post NGE and this has been my experience.  The problem with the current climate is those who are left in SWG feel like they have to defend it to the death and paint a picture that everything is great and NGE is great because of all the NGE haters.  When people defend NGE this really gets under the skin of Vets when they read things like the servers are full of people and they know that by the numbers, MMOGchart.com, SWG is down to somewhere around 100k or so subs.

If you want to try the game give the trial a try, but be aware that the game is basically all about PVP endgame and the PVP really doesn't have any real reward, its like you PVP because its just about all thats left, or you could make that 1000th trip to the Death Watch bunker.  I want to like SWG but this game has nothing in common with the game that I played for 3 years, its a shell of a game.  FYI outside the addition of expertise system for 2 classes I really didn't see much difference between now and 8 months ago when I left, sure you have your battle of restuss but all that equates to is a forced PVP area thats it.  If you want further proof that SOE is simply milking the game til it dies search for SWG expansion, there was plans for an expansion based around mines for crafters and PVP all the time concept, it was scraped due to the falling subscription base which shows how much SOE cares.