Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, a friend gave me an idea...

Comments

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by KenshuAni
    I really like the phrasing on this.  However, I would recommend contacting Raph before using his words in such a possibly compromising way as this.

I meant to say that.  Thanks for mentioning it.  It would be the courteous thing to do.  I have a feeling deep down, he would love it, but that's not for me to decide.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

Originally posted by KenshuAni

Originally posted by Zaush

Ding Ding!  I think we have a winner.

I would word it like this:

You dance with the ones that brung ya ...

Please bring back Pre CU!

www.SWGclassicservers.com

I really like the phrasing on this.  However, I would recommend contacting Raph before using his words in such a possibly compromising way as this.

True, he did post this on his blog, but by using one of his quotes, it could be interpreted that he supports this effort, which he may not.

I am sure he wants to stay as far from this as possible. Since he posted those comments, I have not seen much from him concerning SWG. But I think the SWG designers speaking at the AGC also used this cliche in their presentation.

Originally posted by kimosabe

Recap of ideas 1-4:
    6. "The NGE makes baby Jesus cry." -it'll catch the attention of the devout, that's for sure

Trust me.  I used to be a fanatical right wing, book burning Christian at one point.  Now I'm a right wing Christian with a more open mind and a sense of humor.  While catchy, I will tell you this one would just make enemies who would fight in court.  SOE and Smedley would become the least of our worries.   Don't touch this one with a ten foot pole. 

Change it to Baby Yoda. 

• ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

Recap of ideas 1-4:
    1. "Pay for this sign or pay for NGE? We picked the sign. [Number] SWG vets."
    2. "got preCU?" -in the style of 'got milk?'
    3. "preCU > NGE. [Number] SWG vets" or "preCU > NGE. Do the math."
    4. "Survey says: ...preCU!!"
    Idea 5. from me (I know it's really long, but if someone can sum it up better that would be great) and a couple others.
    5. "If the NGE is 'Star Warsy', how come there are more than 9 different characters in Star Wars?"
    6. "The NGE makes baby Jesus cry." -it'll catch the attention of the devout, that's for sure
    7. "Search your feelings Smed, you know it to be true. Return the preCU." -adaptation of a Darth Vader line
    8. "Deputy Williams gave Wild Bill an unwelcome surprise, look how that turned out."
    Ok, the last one might seem a little threatening, but these are just some more ideas.

I like using a movie quote to an extent as long as it is clever has not been over used. A quote could make it a bit more marketable to the mainstream media. Local news would eat it up and alot of the "fluff" stuff evolves from local news to national news fairly quickly.
  • hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

Not a bad idea but im not sure about giving money to anyone after the emu mess. No offense to you personally i mean this in general to giving to anything after that jerkoff ran off with the money for the emu donations. Besides that sounds awesome LOL i hope someone takes a picture of it or them i should say lolol.

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

for merchandising..
    ....  www.cafepress.com

i'd definatly donate for a PRE-CU FTMFW t-shirt. keep it simple and clean. nothing flashy.

i think rather than setting up donations, set up merchandising, see if you can raise the funds by selling the product, i'm sure more people would be willing to donate if they at least physically GOT something out of it, and if the billboards don't get off the ground most people would just be.. pft.. at least i got my t-shirt.

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Originally posted by Zaush

Recap of ideas 1-4:
    1. "Pay for this sign or pay for NGE? We picked the sign. [Number] SWG vets."
    2. "got preCU?" -in the style of 'got milk?'
    3. "preCU > NGE. [Number] SWG vets" or "preCU > NGE. Do the math."
    4. "Survey says: ...preCU!!"
    Idea 5. from me (I know it's really long, but if someone can sum it up better that would be great) and a couple others.
    5. "If the NGE is 'Star Warsy', how come there are more than 9 different characters in Star Wars?"
    6. "The NGE makes baby Yoda cry." -it'll catch the attention of the devout, that's for sure
    7. "Search your feelings Smed, you know it to be true. Return the preCU." -adaptation of a Darth Vader line
    8. "Deputy Williams gave Wild Bill an unwelcome surprise, look how that turned out."
    Ok, the last one might seem a little threatening, but these are just some more ideas.

I like using a movie quote to an extent as long as it is clever has not been over used. A quote could make it a bit more marketable to the mainstream media. Local news would eat it up and alot of the "fluff" stuff evolves from local news to national news fairly quickly.

If I had to narrow it down, I'd pick 1,3, and 7. Are you saying the "Search your feelings..." one is too cliche? Jrscott, yeah, "baby Jesus" -> "baby Yoda" would be less offesive. Thanks for bringing it up. Fixed it.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

Originally posted by hargrave

Not a bad idea but im not sure about giving money to anyone after the emu mess.

Then contribute ideas and moral support.  There is more to it than just money.

PRE-CU
    FTMFW
    ROLL IT !

set up like opening text thingie from the movies on the back of a black t-tshirt... i'd be up for a few extra larges please 

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

True i wasnt attacking anyone personally i was just sayin im leary of giving money to anyone after the emu mess. By the way you are right about support not sure what else we can do i dont have any ideas but the billboard one sounds awesome though i will agree thats a kickass idea if i had 2600 bucks i would really go make those signs myself ill say that lol no joke for real theyd be up if had the money myself

Originally posted by jrscott

Originally posted by hargrave
    Not a bad idea but im not sure about giving money to anyone after the emu mess. Then contribute ideas and moral support.  There is more to it than just money.

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

We could spin the Obiwan qutoe after alderan was blown up by the death star...

Its as if a million voices cried out, and then were slienced etc....

Xcathdra

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

Originally posted by Xcathdra

We could spin the Obiwan qutoe after alderan was blown up by the death star...
    Its as if a 200,000 voices cried out, and then were slienced etc....

Xcathdra

i'm not one to usually do fixes, but...
    /points up

this is generally the "accepted" amount of subs lost.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Hey all, just a few points:

1. You're all crazy.
    2. I love that you're all crazy.
    3. What ever the message is, it won't make eveyone happy. Lets accept that now, and vow not to pick eachother apart about it.
    4. We still have not confirmed viability.
    5. Assuming there is viability, we're hard at work getting a site & donation system up, but we're trying to do it right so it will take a couple of weeks.
    6. Keep it all clean. Let's not give MMORPG, or anyone, any reason to think we're being aggressive towards anyone... we're just speaking our minds...
    7. Thanks for all of your help, support & great ideas so far... this is what I miss about SWG Pre-NGE...

Editted for early morning grammer.

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

Originally posted by MX13

Hey all, just a few points:

You're all crazy.
    I love that you're all crazy.
    What ever the message is, it won't make eveyone happy. Let's except that now, and vow not to pick eachother apart about it.
    We still have not confirm viability.
    Assuming there is viability, we're hard at work getting a site & donation system up, but we're trying to do it right so it will take a couple of weeks.
    Keep it all clean. Let's not give MMORPG, or anyone, any reason to think we're being aggressive towards anyone... we're just speaking or minds...
    Thanks for all of your help, support & great ideas so far... this is what I miss about SWG Pre-NGE...

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    Pre-CU

Search your feelings Smed
    It is unavoidable.  It is your destiny

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Maybe...

200,000 Subscribers vote YES

for Classic Pre-CU servers...

Bring us the Classic servers,

and we will bring you the gold!

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Have the best of both worlds...

The NGE subscribers and the Pre-CU subscribers.

Bring us Classic servers and we will show you the money!

or

Have your cake and eat it to..

The NGE subscribers + the Pre-CU subscribers = Big money!

Bring us Classic servers and we will show you the money!

At the end of whatever phrase, you could put:

"Join us at swgclassicservers.com and support the movement."

or

"Join us at swgclassicservers.com and join the movement."

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by xxthecorexx
    for merchandising..
    ....  www.cafepress.com

i'd definatly donate for a PRE-CU FTMFW t-shirt. keep it simple and clean. nothing flashy.

i think rather than setting up donations, set up merchandising, see if you can raise the funds by selling the product, i'm sure more people would be willing to donate if they at least physically GOT something out of it, and if the billboards don't get off the ground most people would just be.. pft.. at least i got my t-shirt.

I would say both are needed.  There are a few that would prefer to donate straight to the billboard, that way all of their money is going towards that.

That said, I would certainly love a few shirts with some of the phrases I've seen here.

Edit:  OOOH!  Just imagine if those shirts got sold to people that are attending the next "summitt" or fan faire.  I can just picture the devs talking to a room full of people wearing some Pre-CU shirts. 

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

How about this for the billboard:

Search your feelings Smed...

Bring back pre-CU servers!

Paid for by disgruntled ex-players

www.swgclassicservers.com

Update:

IF we are a go (which is still to be determined), we WILL be doing T-Shirts & Donations, but we absolutly can NOT discuss the details at this time. If this concerns you, I would be happy to discuss it via PM, but we would appreciate avoiding a public Flame Fest. Please be sure not to violate the RoC, we'd like to keep this post going.

Regarding the choise of making Shirts: We feel, like renting advertising, this a way to generate WoM while bonding our community. IF this is a go, you will be able to donate dirrectly regardless. That said, we have some GREAT ideas about this that we can't talk about yet, and we'll be moving forward as quickly as possible.

Well, I've said too much, so I'll cut this short before I get my hand slapped. Please, let's avoid discussion of Donations, sales & solicitation... I REALLY don't want this post to cross any lines...

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Update:
    IF we are a go (which is still to be determined), we WILL be doing T-Shirts & Donations, but we absolutly can NOT discuss the details at this time. If this concerns you, I would be happy to discuss it via PM, but we would appreciate avoiding a public Flame Fest. Please be sure not to violate the RoC, we'd like to keep this post going.
    Regarding the choise of making Shirts: We feel, like renting advertising, this a way to generate WoM while bonding our community. IF this is a go, you will be able to donate dirrectly regardless. That said, we have some GREAT ideas about this that we can't talk about yet, and we'll be moving forward as quickly as possible.
    Well, I've said too much, so I'll cut this short before I get my hand slapped. Please, let's avoid discussion of Donations, sales & solicitation... I REALLY don't want this post to cross any lines...

Well that's me out, I'm not wearing a "Bring back Pre-CU servers!" t-shirt.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

Originally posted by Anageth

Update:

LOL... I said T-Shirts & Donations, I never said ONLY... our focus will be the Bill Boards, but we need to look at all opprotunities to fund them & spread the word. Some folks out there who wouldn't donate, would consider it if they got something in return...

I also never said there would only be one shirt design (this is one of the things I can't talk about yet).

Personally, my dream would be the above mentioned Fan Fest of 60 people with 40 Pre-CU shirts int he audience... The Silent Majority...

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Maybe mail Smed a T-shirt, just so he won't feel left out. We all know how much they [SOE] like to fit in with the crowd.

Another billboard idea though:

Have a picture from the scene of Luke Skywalker in stormtrooper armor when he and Han rescue Leia. Then put up a caption like, "preCU! We've come to rescue you!" (replacing 'preCU' with 'angry SWG vets' would work too).

I'm not sure if having the background be a picture is more expensive or not, but what do you think?

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

Originally posted by Anageth

Update:

LOL... I said T-Shirts & Donations, I never said ONLY... our focus will be the Bill Boards, but we need to look at all opprotunities to fund them & spread the word. Some folks out there who wouldn't donate, would consider it if they got something in return...

I also never said there would only be one shirt design (this is one of the things I can't talk about yet).

Personally, my dream would be the above mentioned Fan Fest of 60 people with 40 Pre-CU shirts int he audience... The Silent Majority...

a well thought out and executed plan will be key here, as well as a strong bold logo or slogan not some home made jimmied up thing. i think the billboards and the shirts should match, so by the time they're seen they wouldn't even need to be read, they'd KNOW what it said, and THAT is what delivers the message.

just imagine helios in his local grocery store and the guy infront of him with a pre-cu t-shirt on, or smeds stuck in traffic with the bumper sticker infront of him saying PRE-CU FTMFW, but it wouldn't be the first one he saw, it'd be the 4th that week. i think they'd get the message.

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Another billboard idea though:
    Have a picture from the scene of Luke Skywalker in stormtrooper armor when he and Han rescue Leia. Then put up a caption like, "preCU! We've come to rescue you!" (replacing 'preCU' with 'angry SWG vets' would work too).
    I'm not sure if having the background be a picture is more expensive or not, but what do you think?

That might require a copyright lawyer's advice.  I think that Star Wars is considered to be in the public domain, and as such parodies can be made (like the Robot Chicken Aluminum Falcon skit).  However, using images from the movies might be another matter.

For things like forum signatures, I'm certain that LA isn't concerned.  However with an endeavor like this, it might be going to far.

Like I said before though, NOT a lawyer.