Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, a friend gave me an idea...

Comments

• jrscottjrscott Member Posts: 1,252

Originally posted by Wildcat84
    It couldn't be blackmail.  There is no threat.  SOE couldn't possibly claim any harm whatsoever from it.

Plus, it's protected free speech under the first amendment.

No doubt you are totally correct, but Kai is also correct when he says an injunction is a possibility.  The court system in this country, while one of the more civilized in the world, is not perfect.  From my perspective I have seen the Constitution trampled numerous times. 

And like Kai, I have had an episode with a lawsuit that was obviously in my favor, but dragged on through procedure.  I was suing for $500,000 and ended up settling for $270,000 because I could no longer afford legal counsel.  In fact I had to give 33% to the lawyer to finish the case so I lost $320,000 on procedural BS.    All he is saying is to avoid anything that can be used as an excuse to go in front of a judge.  And bear in mind this would occur in California, and those judges are more than a little liberal in interpreting law.

Let's put this discussion of law away for now and just agree to avoid language that is threatening in any way when we get to the point of executing the plan.

I realize I said I quit. I never said it was forever :)

Originally posted by dacia72

Count me in - I can collect at least 5-600 USd from our guild, about legal we can take care also (I have an army of lawyers on payroll - so no problem

I was about to ask if anybody here was a lawyer or had one in his/her back pocket.

• nthnaounnthnaoun Member Posts: 1,438

Originally posted by sickboy_ukuk
    IM so up for this, i would pay anything to see smeds face when he see's a billboared with PRE-CU FTW on it

I think this is a great idea and wish you all the best of luck. I can't afford to contribute though. Using abbreviations like FTW is pretty immature and I would leave it out of it. You want them to think that we have a good brain on our shoulder and that we are not 1337 speaking fools.

Originally posted by KenshuAni

Originally posted by tivursky
    You know, I think this is a fantastic idea.
    But couldn't you get sued for slander by doing this?

First off, it would be libel (printed).  Slander is spoken.

Not a lawyer also, but as long as the billboard and website stick to facts given, much can be quoted by SOE themselves, then I do not think that it would be considered libel.  I believe that only if you misrepresent or falsify what is printed, that is when you deal with libel suits.

That being said, do you really think that SOE is going to spen money on lawyers to silence upset customers?  That has bad publicity written all over it and might be a very risky move.

Maybe SOE will just pay more money than you all for that Billboard. I would never under estimate a corporate enterprise with loads of money and a reputation on the line.
  • Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by jrscott

It couldn't be blackmail.  There is no threat.  SOE couldn't possibly claim any harm whatsoever from it.

No doubt you are totally correct, but Kai is also correct when he says an injunction is a possibility.  The court system in this country, while one of the more civilized in the world, is not perfect.  From my perspective I have seen the Constitution trampled numerous times. 

And like Kai, I have had an episode with a lawsuit that was obviously in my favor, but dragged on through procedure.  I was suing for $500,000 and ended up settling for $270,000 because I could no longer afford legal counsel.  In fact I had to give 33% to the lawyer to finish the case so I lost $320,000 on procedural BS.    All he is saying is to avoid anything that can be used as an excuse to go in front of a judge.  And bear in mind this would occur in California, and those judges are more than a little liberal in interpreting law.

Let's put this discussion of law away for now and just agree to avoid language that is threatening in any way when we get to the point of executing the plan.

SOE wouldn't sue.  If they did that, just IMAGINE the renewed firestorm of horrible press for them.  There is no way they are that stupid.

And if they are, the ACLU or some other civil rights group would jump at the case.

SOE could sue no matter what we said on the billboard.  Chances of them doing so are virtually zero unless we did make some sort of actually threatening or disgusting message.

• PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

SOE wouldn't sue.  If they did that, just IMAGINE the renewed firestorm of horrible press for them.  There is no way they are that stupid.

And if they are, the ACLU or some other civil rights group would jump at the case.

SOE could sue no matter what we said on the billboard.  Chances of them doing so are virtually zero unless we did make some sort of actually threatening or disgusting message.

Maybe we could have the ACLU attack multiple tangents:

1- EULAS's.
    2- Catch-all statements like "Game play may change."
    3- The Freedom of speech angle.

I know, it's a pipe-dream...

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961

Knowing Smed, he'll probably just hire 100 billboards and put something funny on them.

Remember the donut incident?
  • ZaushZaush Member Posts: 371

OK the whole "blackmail" talk is getting us offtrack. Lets focus on the task at hand. This could actually work, and there is enough know how and resources available within the Vet Refugee community to make this happen.

I agree with an above poster, we should stay away from l33t speak on the main bilboard message. If I had enough vacation left I would sit on the bilboard until PreCu servers where brought online. This would really get some press! I had often thought of picketing both Austin and San Diego Studios as well, but that would be hard to organize, the bilboards would be the next best thing.

If anyone has emailed this to Smed, did you get a reply?

• XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

instead of "blackmailing" smed, why not jsut put up the truth...

You screwed over your playerbase for a quick buck.. How about giving us back the game we payed for...

Or something along those lines.. Sometimes the truth speaks volumes..

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

Emailing this to Smed would be stupid. What do you think Smed would do if he actually thought there was a risk of you all doing this? I know what I would do. I would buy up the billboard first and promote the NGE with it.

I suggest keeping it somewhat secret and getting this done quickly. I believe this might actually work and get us Classic servers. Tell your friend that I thank him for his idea.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Ohisham
    I work in San Diego and can probably swing by that location on Monday.   

Do it man and then come back and tell MX13 about the loc.

I have been watching this thread for a couple days now and the idea is just crazy enough to actually happen. I really hope you guys aren't just talking **** when you say you'll pay. You guys put up a website that has the official mandate on it and you'll get 50 bucks from me via paypal. If only to see that it makes the news.

Originally posted by anarchyart

Originally posted by Ohisham
    I work in San Diego and can probably swing by that location on Monday.   

Do it man and then come back and tell MX13 about the loc.

I have been watching this thread for a couple days now and the idea is just crazy enough to actually happen. I really hope you guys aren't just talking **** when you say you'll pay. You guys put up a website that has the official mandate on it and you'll get 50 bucks from me via paypal. If only to see that it makes the news.

I will put $50 on it well.
  • broadzillabroadzilla Member Posts: 73

Well I made my first attempt at swinging by SOE headquarters today while I was out.

I exited on Research Blvd. looked at my notes that had their address as 12301 Research Blvd. I drive all the way north and the farthest the addresses went up to was 9900, wtf!@!

So now I have to look over the map. The road must pick up again somewhere North of where it stopped but I'm not sure where exactly that is.

I'll find it on Mapquest or Google Maps or something and do a second drive by attempt in the next couple days.

Originally posted by broadzilla

Well I made my first attempt at swinging by SOE headquarters today while I was out.
    I exited on Research Blvd. looked at my notes that had their address as 12301 Research Blvd. I drive all the way north and the farthest the addresses went up to was 9900, wtf!@!
    So now I have to look over the map. The road must pick up again somewhere North of where it stopped but I'm not sure where exactly that is.
    I'll find it on Mapquest or Google Maps or something and do a second drive by attempt in the next couple days.

Expedia found it for me.  I found out I am only 995 miles away!    Research Blvd looks like a big road on the Expedia map.  I wonder if it is one of those weird roads that ends, merges with some other road for miles, then branches off again like nothing happened.  I hate those roads.  Whoever thought up that concept should be slapped hard.  Good luck finding it.

I was thinking about what to say on the sign, and a nice Raph Koster quote comes to mind:

You dance with the ones that brung ya ...

Originally posted by broadzilla

Expedia found it for me.  I found out I am only 995 miles away!    Research Blvd looks like a big road on the Expedia map.  I wonder if it is one of those weird roads that ends, merges with some other road for miles, then branches off again like nothing happened.  I hate those roads.  Whoever thought up that concept should be slapped hard.  Good luck finding it.

I was thinking about what to say on the sign, and a nice Raph Koster quote comes to mind:

Ding Ding!  I think we have a winner.

I would word it like this:

Please bring back Pre CU!

www.SWGclassicservers.com

No, you should not be trying to make a statement. You should be trying to get the game back with as few words as possible. You need something short and sweet and to the point. Something that show the intelligence of the Pre-CU community and not the ignorance. So no FTW or any tantrems or any inflamtory remarks. You all are playing with peoples money here and it costs quit a bit to pull off. What you need is someone with a marketing degree and someone who knows psychology enough to know what will get the best reaction to a few words.

Best thing you can do is to brainstorm here on the forums. Everyone pitch in a short phrase slogan that would be lound and clear to Smedley that he will make tons of money by creating a Classic server. After a week or after the thread slows down enough to know all slogan inputs have been submitted, the forum community can vote for the top 5 and then vote for one of the top 5 to be on the Bulletin board.

Good luck!

Originally posted by nthnaoun

No, you should not be trying to make a statement. You should be trying to get the game back with as few words as possible. You need something short and sweet and to the point. Something that show the intelligence of the Pre-CU community and not the ignorance. So no FTW or any tantrems or any inflamtory remarks. You all are playing with peoples money here and it costs quit a bit to pull off. What you need is someone with a marketing degree and someone who knows psychology enough to know what will get the best reaction to a few words.
    Best thing you can do is to brainstorm here on the forums. Everyone pitch in a short phrase slogan that would be lound and clear to Smedley that he will make tons of money by creating a Classic server. After a week or after the thread slows down enough to know all slogan inputs have been submitted, the forum community can vote for the top 5 and then vote for one of the top 5 to be on the Bulletin board.
    Good luck!

Solid advice. Just the fact that a community would band together to financially support a project like like this should be statement enough to show the passion and dedication we have for our cause.

I do think it should be intelligent, short and to the point. The message should make a statement and be catchy but not juevinile.
  • kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Depending on the size of the board, we could use more than five words:

1. "Pay for this sign or pay for NGE? We picked the sign. [Number] SWG vets."
    2. "got preCU?" -in the style of 'got milk?' (cliche I know)
    3. "preCU > NGE. [Number] SWG vets."
    4. "Survey says: ...preCU!!"

That's all I can think of now. I really like 1 and 3, but I'm just throwing out ideas. Some kind of Star Wars quote spin off would also be good I think.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.

• ErwinnErwinn Member Posts: 48
     I agree with Zaush here on this. If we as a community are going to do this, then we need to do it right. The message should be short, professional and catchy. If this is going to get off the ground, then i'll do my best to support it. My fellow disillusioned and disgruntled SWG comrades, lets unite and take back SWG!!!!!!!!!!!

FoE
    "Our Enemies are sacred cause they make us strong."

What you need is someone with a marketing degree and someone who knows psychology enough to know what will get the best reaction to a few words.
    Good luck!

Good suggestions, all.  I'm not really disagreeing with you either.  But realize that EVERYTHING constructive that can be said has been said and REJECTED.   Logic has not worked, civility has not worked, and begging has not worked.  Heck, massive subscription loss has not worked!  Sometimes it helps to get inside the other person's head and make them question themselves. 

Make them think:

• Am I doing the right thing?
    • Why do they hate me?
    • When will it end?
    • How can I make pre-CU happen and end this?

Eventually that can lead to trying to figure out how to peacefully coexist.  Or they could generate more negative publicity and try to make us go away.  They only win if we let them win.

The intent of this idea is to make LA and SOE have to face up to the fact they treated their playerbase wrongly and that their playerbase wants to play the game they were sold originally.  And we want them to be reminded every day, before they enter work, and before they go home.  I personally don't care if all of them end up on Xanax as a result of anxiety disorder.  They've earned it.

What you need is someone with a marketing degree and someone who knows psychology enough to know what will get the best reaction to a few words.
    Good luck!

Good suggestions, all.  I'm not really disagreeing with you either.  But realize that EVERYTHING constructive that can be said has been said and REJECTED.   Logic has not worked, civility has not worked, and begging has not worked.  Heck, massive subscription loss has not worked!  Sometimes it helps to get inside the other person's head and make them question themselves. 

Make them think:

• Am I doing the right thing?
    • Why do they hate me?
    • When will it end?
    • How can I make pre-CU happen and end this?

Eventually that can lead to trying to figure out how to peacefully coexist.  Or they could generate more negative publicity and try to make us go away.  They only win if we let them win.

The intent of this idea is to make LA and SOE have to face up to the fact they treated their playerbase wrongly and that their playerbase wants to play the game they were sold originally.  And we want them to be reminded every day, before they enter work, and before they go home.  I personally don't care if all of them end up on Xanax as a result of anxiety disorder.  They've earned it.

lol! Sounds like phsycological warfare. Nice!

For me it is just showing them to what legenths we will go to, to get our game back and/or get this story out to the mainstream media.

Originally posted by Zaush
    lol! Sounds like phsycological warfare. Nice!

For me it is just showing them to what legenths we will go to, to get our game back and/or get this story out to the mainstream media.

I've spent a lot of time dealing with my own psychological problems, so I'm qualified!   (just kidding nthnaoun)

What nthnaoun is saying is very valid though.  If we are going to spend money doing something, we should make sure it is psychologically effective.  And we are brainstorming constantly here.

Remember nthnaoun (and everybody), brainstorming means keeping an open mind and just spitting ideas out as they come.  A very stupid idea might just trigger the winning idea.  So keep em coming.  Try not to be overly critical, or sensitive when somebody disagrees.

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by mrfried

This is a great idea, it will show them that we won't just go away, something that they never expected.
    When the billboards are up, on the first day, you should contact the media companies, and also the gaming magazines and websites, also make sure you don't overlook the local media as the media coverage you could get from this could end up being the highest impacting thing about this.

Trust me, SOE knows about this plan so they are already expecting something like this.

As for the media idea, that is excellent.  I would suggest sending an email (or snail mail, if you must) with a photo and a well written description of what we are trying to do.  Definately send it to the gaming magazines, every one.

In my experience, major publications just love being able to add in a story (even if just as filler), particularly one that has been practically written for them.

Edit:  Also include the locations of the billboards in the email.

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by Zaush

Ding Ding!  I think we have a winner.

I would word it like this:

Please bring back Pre CU!

www.SWGclassicservers.com

I really like the phrasing on this.  However, I would recommend contacting Raph before using his words in such a possibly compromising way as this.

True, he did post this on his blog, but by using one of his quotes, it could be interpreted that he supports this effort, which he may not.

• kimosabekimosabe Member Posts: 516

Recap of ideas 1-4:

1. "Pay for this sign or pay for NGE? We picked the sign. [Number] SWG vets."
    2. "got preCU?" -in the style of 'got milk?'
    3. "preCU > NGE. [Number] SWG vets" or "preCU > NGE. Do the math."
    4. "Survey says: ...preCU!!"

Idea 5. from me (I know it's really long, but if someone can sum it up better that would be great) and a couple others.

5. "If the NGE is 'Star Warsy', how come there are more than 9 different characters in Star Wars?"
    6. "The NGE makes baby Yoda cry." -it'll catch the attention of the devout, that's for sure
    7. "Search your feelings Smed, you know it to be true. Return the preCU." -adaptation of a Darth Vader line
    8. "Deputy Williams gave Wild Bill an unwelcome surprise, look how that turned out."

Ok, the last one might seem a little threatening, but these are just some more ideas.

Je mettrai l'amour sur dos de moi.