Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you serious?

eadueadu Member Posts: 7

If you've played this game and you think the character movement system/physics is ok then you really need to play some current games. The movement feels like this game was made 15 years ago, completely unacceptable and unplayable.

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    just use point & click then. it beats WASD movement any day of the week anyway. WASD is way to outdated.

• eadueadu Member Posts: 7

I'm not talking about what keys/mouse button are used to move, I'm talking about the WAY that you move. It's boxy, it feels like you move in 'sqaures', not to mention the lack of smooth strafing.

It looks and feels like I'm playing a game on my old Atari 2600.

GW is horrible and yet is immensely better than this game, WoW has many many problems but is light years ahead of this game.

• xIMPxxIMPx Member Posts: 191

Originally posted by Gameloading
    just use point & click then. it beats WASD movement any day of the week anyway. WASD is way to outdated.

I sooo disagree with you.
  • DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883

Originally posted by xIMPx

Originally posted by Gameloadingjust use point & click then. it beats WASD movement any day of the week anyway. WASD is way to outdated.

As do I. WASD is the only way to play::::20::

Many do, But I personally feel WASD is SO outdated. there really is no point to use WASD movement.
    Isn't point and click older than WASD?

Isn't point and click older than WASD?

I'm not sure, could be possible. but WASD has no purpose in MMORPG's. thats why I feel its outdated.
    I'm not 100 percent sure but I think the WASD controls your characters movement. 

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think the WASD controls your characters movement. 

NO! Really? :P

No what I meant is that WASD adds some more "Twitch" to movement. this is important in games like shooters, but MMORPG´s don´t have any twitch in them.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

No what I meant is that WASD adds some more "Twitch" to movement. this is important in games like shooters, but MMORPG´s don´t have any twitch in them.

So MMORPG's like Planetside, Neocron 1 and 2, Endless Ages, The Chronicles of Spellborn, Face of Mainkind, etc dont have any twitch in them?

There is a old saying you know, if you dont know what your talking about. Don't talk.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• I don't see a problem with having click-to-move, but at LEAST have a decent WASD movement system.  WASD may be outdate (although I can't say I agree with that), but it is pretty much a standard among non-korean MMORPG's... and since they implemented it into A/L already, why not make it work properly? Why settle for some half-assed job of it?  Of course most everything in A/L is half-assed.
  • GalaxiacelesGalaxiaceles Member Posts: 154
    I played / am playing current MMO's .. I"m going to tell you the movement is okay. Its not great .. its not horrible .. it's simply ... ok. I've played more than enough to tell you up front .. it's okay ... am I serious? Yup. 

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Originally posted by Galaxiaceles
    I played / am playing current MMO's .. I"m going to tell you the movement is okay. Its not great .. its not horrible .. it's simply ... ok. I've played more than enough to tell you up front .. it's okay ... am I serious? Yup. 

We can all agree that the WASD movement in this game is awkward and not very effective/good. I could tell you that after my first few minutes in the game. I hope it gets reworked to accomidate those who prefer that movement style because for me personally I prefer WASD a lot more then point and click, and I'm surely not the only one who thinks that way. That control scheme is less hassle to me. The point-and-click in the game works a-ok though and the only downside is that you get caught on things sometimes, but it's rather easily avoided.

I'm not sure, could be possible. but WASD has no purpose in MMORPG's. thats why I feel its outdated.

It has purpose to people who prefer it and many do. I'm more comfortable moving with WASD and using the mouse to target enemies/allies as well as use skills and magic.

• ender1776ender1776 Member Posts: 5
    Well, I think we should all go back to mud days, and use text commands to move. 'FORWARD' 'LOOK LEFT' 'USE SWORD'
    We can integrate this with mouse clicking, so instead of hitting enter, you type the command, and click. We can even make it the best of both worlds, where all the commands only consist of WASD letters.  And I'm at a loss as to how point and click is better in a real time game. Not everyone plays sitting at a desktop. I spend most of my time playing on a laptop in bed while my wife snores silently beside me. This means wasd and touch pad. I can't imagine a game where I'm consantly clicking away just to get from point a to point b.

Originally posted by Tinybina

So MMORPG's like Planetside, Neocron 1 and 2, Endless Ages, The Chronicles of Spellborn, Face of Mainkind, etc dont have any twitch in them?

There is a old saying you know, if you dont know what your talking about. Don't talk.

Planetside, Necron, Endless ages and Face of Mankind are MMOFPS (where Face of mankind is not an mmofps, but its an mmoshooter),not MMORPG's. The Chronicles of Spellborn isn't even out yet, so today, there are very few mmorpg's that have twitch based gameplay. and those that do SHOULD use WASD movement, but for most MMORPG's there is no twitch involved,so there is no reason to use WASD gameplay wise.couldn't you figure that out yourself?

Maybe you should follow that old saying of yours, Tinybina, before you make yourself look like a fool.

Originally posted by IdesofMarch

Originally posted by Galaxiaceles

We can all agree that the WASD movement in this game is awkward and not very effective/good. I could tell you that after my first few minutes in the game. I hope it gets reworked to accomidate those who prefer that movement style because for me personally I prefer WASD a lot more then point and click, and I'm surely not the only one who thinks that way. That control scheme is less hassle to me. The point-and-click in the game works a-ok though and the only downside is that you get caught on things sometimes, but it's rather easily avoided.

It has purpose to people who prefer it and many do. I'm more comfortable moving with WASD and using the mouse to target enemies/allies as well as use skills and magic.

Yet when we talk in terms of the game, then WASD has no place in MMO's because it is not needed. Point & click has much more advantages over WASD movement.

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    IMO - WASD offers much better control than PnC as you're not reling on the games pathing.

Onto the orginal question - yes the movement sucks, thats why its a game in my wake!

Currently Playing: GW2
    Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
    Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

Yet when we talk in terms of the game, then WASD has no place in MMO's because it is not needed. Point & click has much more advantages over WASD movement.

To you it's not needed and to you it has more advantages. Not to me though. WASD for me is so much tighter and easier to maneuver with. I've played with both types enough to know what works best for me. Everyone is different and while point-and-click is your preference for others WASD is the best form of control.

Why do you think games offer both styles or allow for control customization? Not because they have nothing better to do in development, that's for sure. The demand is there for both schemes and I think both should be supported. So to say WASD has no place in MMORPG's is just silly.

• SuitepeeSuitepee Member Posts: 921

WASD movement not needed in MMO's? Stick to your Archlord defending Gameloading.

WOW,love it or hate it,had WASD movement. So do many other MMO's,and when they're not in it's complained about. (Shadowbane for example) Even CM is aiming to fix the WASD movement in Archlord.

I prefer WASD > click movement anyday.

To you it's not needed and to you it has more advantages. Not to me though. WASD for me is so much tighter and easier to maneuver with. I've played with both types enough to know what works best for me. Everyone is different and while point-and-click is your preference for others WASD is the best form of control.

Why do you think games offer both styles or allow for control customization? Not because they have nothing better to do in development, that's for sure. The demand is there for both schemes and I think both should be supported. So to say WASD has no place in MMORPG's is just silly.

Its not silly, you completely missed the point of my post. technical ingame wise there is NO need to for WASD movement because twitch based gameplay is not avaible in most mmo's, hence keys that require quick reflexes are not needed. sure you might like WASD movement better, but that is simply not what I am talking about. WASD requires 4 keys, and while using it, it is difficult to hit a great number of other keys at the same time, because the camera movement is usually controlled by the right mouse button. with Point & Click, you can move around AND controll the camera with just one hand, while having an entire hand free for other things such as typing and skill usage. the downside of this is that it removes twitch based gameplay, but this is not avaible in most mmorpg's.

you might like WASD movement better, and thats fine. but completely technical speaking, point & click has  many advantages over WASD movement, and WASD movement has technical speaking no place in MMO's.

Its not silly, you completely missed the point of my post. technical ingame wise there is NO need to for WASD movement because twitch based gameplay is not avaible in most mmo's, hence keys that require quick reflexes are not needed. sure you might like WASD movement better, but that is simply not what I am talking about. WASD requires 4 keys, and while using it, it is difficult to hit a great number of other keys at the same time, because the camera movement is usually controlled by the right mouse button. with Point & Click, you can move around AND controll the camera with just one hand, while having an entire hand free for other things such as typing and skill usage. the downside of this is that it removes twitch based gameplay, but this is not avaible in most mmorpg's.

you might like WASD movement better, and thats fine. but completely technical speaking, point & click has  many advantages over WASD movement, and WASD movement has technical speaking no place in MMO's.

Ok, and again, technically it works for you but for me WASD works. One can easily move their character, and hit the number keys for skills without thinking, and use the mouse for targeting, using skills/magic, and camera movement. And I never take the time to type things in the midst of a heated battle so that plays no role in things. Besides, I type with two hands, not one, so I'd have to remove my hand off the mouse anyways.

An example is City of Heroes. As essentially a healer/buffer it's my job to watch my own ass while taking care of those around me. WASD allowed me to move in and out of the battle with ease and accuracy, all the while using the mouse to target allies for heals and buffs. When you pull in that game, WASD allows you to head straight back in an instant behind your tanks/scrappers without ever having to take your focus off what's going on to make that move.

Think of it this way as well. You want to go from Point A to Point B, which is a path with a bit of zig-zagging and curved roads. With point-and-click I simply can't use a continuous movement. I have to click every so often, like segments, to bring myself from A to B. Now with WASD, I can easily maneuver without any pause from A to B in a continuous line. To me I don't have to think where to click next with WASD so I don't get caught on an object or get stuck in a spot. With point-and-click I have to give some of my focus to movement of all things, which for me breaks immersion. With WASD it's instinctful and I don't have to put thought into it. It comes natural.

Now this could be because I've been a console gamer far far longer then I have a PC gamer, and I am completely used to controlling my character with my left hand. However, there are millions of people like myself which you have to take into account when creating/porting a game. It doesn't matter if the game is twitch or not. If a large percentage of your playerbase is more comfortable using WASD, then that becomes something you have to address no matter how much technical sense it makes.

Ok, and again, technically it works for you but for me WASD works. One can easily move their character, and hit the number keys for skills without thinking, and use the mouse for targeting, using skills/magic, and camera movement. And I never take the time to type things in the midst of a heated battle so that plays no role in things. Besides, I type with two hands, not one, so I'd have to remove my hand off the mouse anyways.

An example is City of Heroes. As essentially a healer/buffer it's my job to watch my own ass while taking care of those around me. WASD allowed me to move in and out of the battle with ease and accuracy, all the while using the mouse to target allies for heals and buffs. When you pull in that game, WASD allows you to head straight back in an instant behind your tanks/scrappers without ever having to take your focus off what's going on to make that move.

Think of it this way as well. You want to go from Point A to Point B, which is a path with a bit of zig-zagging and curved roads. With point-and-click I simply can't use a continuous movement. I have to click every so often, like segments, to bring myself from A to B. Now with WASD, I can easily maneuver without any pause from A to B in a continuous line. To me I don't have to think where to click next with WASD so I don't get caught on an object or get stuck in a spot. With point-and-click I have to give some of my focus to movement of all things, which for me breaks immersion. With WASD it's instinctful and I don't have to put thought into it. It comes natural.

Now this could be because I've been a console gamer far far longer then I have a PC gamer, and I am completely used to controlling my character with my left hand. However, there are millions of people like myself which you have to take into account when creating/porting a game. It doesn't matter if the game is twitch or not. If a large percentage of your playerbase is more comfortable using WASD, then that becomes something you have to address no matter how much technical sense it makes.

Everything you discribed with WASD movement can also be done with point & click just as easily. with point & click, you can also use a continues movement. you don't have to make stops, I think its your ability with point & click that is at fault here, not the point & clcik system. everything you discribed can also be done with point & click just as easily, the diffrence is that you can also use the camera AND reach the last skill keys without problems.

and again, like I said, I'm talking from a technical viewpoint. there is no "technicaly it works for you".

Everything you discribed with WASD movement can also be done with point & click just as easily. with point & click, you can also use a continues movement. you don't have to make stops, I think its your ability with point & click that is at fault here, not the point & clcik system. everything you discribed can also be done with point & click just as easily, the diffrence is that you can also use the camera AND reach the last skill keys without problems.

and again, like I said, I'm talking from a technical viewpoint. there is no "technicaly it works for you".

It can, but it's personal preference that comes down to it in the end which you're not getting. Your point has already been made on the technical thing. Games don't revolve around everything technical. Preferences and customer's wants and needs are involved. In this thread you've made it seem like WASD is worthless, not needed, and that we all should get over it and use point-and-click. If a game used that mindset of "we know what you want and need, not you" when creating a game they'd have quite the flop on their hands. Look at this thread. No one has agreed with you that WASD has no use in a MMORPG, twitch or not. I think we can all agree that if full customization isn't going to be offered, then surely both point-and-click and WASD should.

It can, but it's personal preference that comes down to it in the end which you're not getting. Your point has already been made on the technical thing. Games don't revolve around everything technical. Preferences and customer's wants and needs are involved. In this thread you've made it seem like WASD is worthless, not needed, and that we all should get over it and use point-and-click. If a game used that mindset of "we know what you want and need, not you" when creating a game they'd have quite the flop on their hands. Look at this thread. No one has agreed with you that WASD has no use in a MMORPG, twitch or not. I think we can all agree that if full customization isn't going to be offered, then surely both point-and-click and WASD should.

Actually, I am getting it, but like I said, I spoke from a technical standpoint. and yes, I do see WASD as worthless and not needed for me, because really it isn't speaking from a technical standpoint and as a fan of point & click. and since when does it matter if people agree with me or not? that does not take away the FACT that point & click offers more options then WASD movement. if you prefer WASD games, then by all means, use WASD movement, and if a game doesn't offer that, then go to another game. the reason WASD is done so bad is because the game is build for point & click. the only way to change it is to turn it into a WoW, COH or EQ2 like system. as you may know, WASD works well in those games, but point & click is TERRIBLE in those games. its really not as simple as it looks, and I see no reason to sacrifice Point & click for WASD when it doesn't add anything to the gameplay.
  • face30face30 Member UncommonPosts: 193

no twitch...can agree with that.

One question ..how would i use positionals with point and click?? Point and click seems to work on a graph system of some kind, i agree with feeling squared. Like old UO had the little trick of i believe it was 8X8 box movements making you get skills faster.

Just my opinion ,but WASD give you actual freedom of movement from point  "A" to "B", whether then click yourself to "B". From my play exp i much rather WASD in a PVP environment then PnC.

Of course to each his/her own. GL all.