Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Experience of EVE....

2»

Comments

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700
    I don't have a problem with him saying he didn't like EVE.
    However, when you say you don't like a game, please at least be honest about why you don't like it.

EVE is a very deep and complex game.  It is also a game that doesn't hold players by the hand and give them storyline quests to follow all the way to "level X".  EVE is more of an online world or virtual reality than a 'game'.  Sure we have fun playing it.  And it's got PVP and everything.  But if you try eve thinking it's going to be anything like a 'normal' MMORPG then you're in for a big surprise.  Because EVE isn't like 'normal' MMORPG's it's an entirely different kind of game.

Some will like it.  Most probably won't.  Because EVE, more than any other MMO I've ever played, requires players to find ways to entertain themselves.  EVE gives you tools.... what you do with those tools is up to you.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668

Originally posted by Taram
    However, when you say you don't like a game, please at least be honest about why you don't like it.

EVE is a very deep and complex game.  It is also a game that doesn't hold players by the hand and give them storyline quests to follow all the way to "level X".  EVE is more of an online world or virtual reality than a 'game'.  Sure we have fun playing it.  And it's got PVP and everything.  But if you try eve thinking it's going to be anything like a 'normal' MMORPG then you're in for a big surprise.  Because EVE isn't like 'normal' MMORPG's it's an entirely different kind of game.

Some will like it.  Most probably won't.  Because EVE, more than any other MMO I've ever played, requires players to find ways to entertain themselves.  EVE gives you tools.... what you do with those tools is up to you.

See, I have to argue with you here(/em break neutrality) . When I first tried EVE I expected it to be like Freelancer. So the first thing I tried to do was establish a trading rout. You know, take water from water planet and ship it to desert planet. But, EVE doesn't have water, or salt or pretty much anythign that isn't combate/crafting related. I'm not trying to put your opinion down but I just don't think that qualifies as deep.

And as for EVE's complexity, I just don't see it. The whole game seems based around combate. You know, 'let's go to 0.0 and blow stuff up', 'I'm gonna go mine and hope I don't get blown up.', "I'm gonna go blow up some miners", "We're going to go blow up a bunch of ships and try to take their moon colony away from them." I just don't seem the complexity in that or even in the combate system. It's pretty much keeping your ship a set distance away from the enemy, and occasionaly using a special weapon.

So, are you trying to say that EVE has no 'content' in the conventional sense? Because I think wording is what causes conflict betwen MMO fanbois(well that and that EVE is suspiciously the highest rated MMO on MMORPG.com)

• BrantocBrantoc Member Posts: 14
    One arguement is calm and full of logic, the other has a lot of capital letters and full of emotion. Personally I follow the logical argument and like EvE. So be it. 

• Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668

Originally posted by Brantoc
    One arguement is calm and full of logic, the other has a lot of capital letters and full of emotion. Personally I follow the logical argument and like EvE. So be it. 

What are you talking about? This is English, you are supposed to use capitial letters. And a magority of the logic is coming from people against EVE, a magority of the emotion is coming from supports. Didn't I just post this five seconds ago?

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

Originally posted by Distortion0

See, I have to argue with you here(/em break neutrality) . When I first tried EVE I expected it to be like Freelancer. So the first thing I tried to do was establish a trading rout. You know, take water from water planet and ship it to desert planet. But, EVE doesn't have water, or salt or pretty much anythign that isn't combate/crafting related. I'm not trying to put your opinion down but I just don't think that qualifies as deep.And as for EVE's complexity, I just don't see it. The whole game seems based around combate. You know, 'let's go to 0.0 and blow stuff up', 'I'm gonna go mine and hope I don't get blown up.', "I'm gonna go blow up some miners", "We're going to go blow up a bunch of ships and try to take their moon colony away from them." I just don't seem the complexity in that or even in the combate system. It's pretty much keeping your ship a set distance away from the enemy, and occasionaly using a special weapon.So, are you trying to say that EVE has no 'content' in the conventional sense? Because I think wording is what causes conflict betwen MMO fanbois(well that and that EVE is suspiciously the highest rated MMO on MMORPG.com)

You can't have looked very far, there are lots of trade goods similar to freelancer in eve. But it's a bit more complicated in eve where if buy a lot the price will rise and if you sell a lot it will fall, now lots of other players doing the same thing and finding a good trade route can become hard.
    Here is water btw :)

Of course the best profits are made trading in player made goods (which happens to be mostly combat related yes). Buying low in one region and selling high in another, or if you are rich buy out the market on something and resell for a higher price.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by Mcgreag

See, I have to argue with you here(/em break neutrality) . When I first tried EVE I expected it to be like Freelancer. So the first thing I tried to do was establish a trading rout. You know, take water from water planet and ship it to desert planet. But, EVE doesn't have water, or salt or pretty much anythign that isn't combate/crafting related. I'm not trying to put your opinion down but I just don't think that qualifies as deep.

And as for EVE's complexity, I just don't see it. The whole game seems based around combate. You know, 'let's go to 0.0 and blow stuff up', 'I'm gonna go mine and hope I don't get blown up.', "I'm gonna go blow up some miners", "We're going to go blow up a bunch of ships and try to take their moon colony away from them." I just don't seem the complexity in that or even in the combate system. It's pretty much keeping your ship a set distance away from the enemy, and occasionaly using a special weapon.
    So, are you trying to say that EVE has no 'content' in the conventional sense? Because I think wording is what causes conflict betwen MMO fanbois(well that and that EVE is suspiciously the highest rated MMO on MMORPG.com)

You can't have looked very far, there are lots of trade goods similar to freelancer in eve. But it's a bit more complicated in eve where if buy a lot the price will rise and if you sell a lot it will fall, now lots of other players doing the same thing and finding a good trade route can become hard.
    Here is water btw :)

Of course the best profits are made trading in player made goods (which happens to be mostly combat related yes). Buying low in one region and selling high in another, or if you are rich buy out the market on something and resell for a higher price.

I actually disagree Trade Goods can be Very Profitable if you find the right trading route.

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Originally posted by Taram

See, I have to argue with you here(/em break neutrality) . When I first tried EVE I expected it to be like Freelancer. So the first thing I tried to do was establish a trading rout. You know, take water from water planet and ship it to desert planet. But, EVE doesn't have water, or salt or pretty much anythign that isn't combate/crafting related. I'm not trying to put your opinion down but I just don't think that qualifies as deep.

So, are you trying to say that EVE has no 'content' in the conventional sense? Because I think wording is what causes conflict betwen MMO fanbois(well that and that EVE is suspiciously the highest rated MMO on MMORPG.com)

I would beg to differ.
    There are players who make a killing buying resources for crafters at lower prices in some regions (in bulk) and ferrying them to other regions where the buy prices are higher.  I, in fact, know of a few such "trade routes" that players can absolutely clean up doing so.

As I said you aren't going to be dealing with NPC's in EVE (asside from a few missions that you can get from agents) you are dealing with other players.  Depending where you go and how creative you are you can make your fortunes in EVE in ways more numerous than in any other game.  I even know a person in EVE who runs a Corporation placement business.  He specializes in helping players find corporations (and vice versa) and he makes a bloody fortune at it.

As a matter of fact there's a player who is making his fortune in EVE doing nothing but flying about 0.0 space and writing a travellog about it on the EVE forums.   Currently he's somewhere around 1 billion ISK... after 3 months and is one of the most popular players in the game to boot.  He started out with 1 mil ISK and a shuttle after finishing his tutorial and doing about 3 weeks of mining in high-sec space.

There are others who specialize merely in crafting equipment for other players.

There are those who specialize in carting much needed supplies like training manuals, resources, etc from high sec to 0.0 space.

The list is endless.  EVE is what you make of it.

I'm not saying it's perfect or that it's the game for everyone.  But just because you don't like it doesn't make it a bad game.  And, as far as MMORPG's go... it's among the best that I've played. 

Oh.. and EVE absolutely DOES have water, and minerals, and gold and firearms and slaves and soldiers and many other items as well.  Even livestock and other resources :)  You just didn't stick around long enough to learn how to obtain them :) 

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

"I bet he enjoyes playing games just to "max" a character or be "the best!1"."
    Or maybe he just enjoys not getting owned by other players just because they have the +3422402 Deathcannon that he can't even get until he's shelled out $15 a month to the company that owns EVE for two straight years?

This is a common misconception. I'll refer you to a post someone else made about myths and misconceptions of PVP.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/95243

It's
    been proved time and time again that you don't need tons of money or
    skillpoints to compete with those who have more of both in PVP. I have
    both seen and lived this. I started playing EVE in December 05. I first
    got into PVP in March  3 months later when I took a class taught by
    Agony Unleashed (www.agony-unleashed.com) who teach players pvp and give them the confidence to do so. I had a blast! Skills required
    were very basic (no pun intended) and the ship I needed was a cheap
    frigate. I learned a lot about pvp and could even pve better. At any
    rate, we were taken out into Syndicate (0.0 space) to pvp in the most
    dangerous NBSI, pvp active region in EVE and I killed and saw others
    kill players that were in more expensive ships and had been playing EVE
    much longer. 6 months later, I'm still having a blast pvping and fight
    all the time with players that have much more expensive ships and more
    gametime than I. Just last night, myself and a couple of friends were
    in a fight and popped an Ishtar HAC who dropped almost 400m isk worth
    of faction mods. He lost a total of 668m when we blew his ship, and yes
    him and his friends were much older than us.

Summery: Tactics > skillpoints

"There is no other mmo out there with the depth and complexity that have has though she does not reveal her full face to the entire audiance but rather keeps them guessing, anticipating, and wanting until they at least see but a portion of her beauty."
    Again, paraphrasing: There's no other mmo that makes us grind and pay monthly fees for no actual entertainment before it actualy becomes an enjoyable game.

It doesn't "make" you do anything. You chose what you do. I had a lot
    of fun my first month of EVE doing some missions, testing out and
    fighting in different ships, exploring and finding complexes (some of
    which were very challenging but fun) before I joined a player corp.
    Once I joined a player corp (it turned out to be a good one) I had much
    more fun, met new friends, and enjoyed interacting and doing activities
    with them. I never found myself at a lack of money but rather my growth
    was stunted by skills training to use new ships/mods. Later on when I
    got to the point of flying battleships well, I found myself making
    money for that battleship.

The only "grinding" that I ever did was doing missions over and over
    again. Not for money, but for standing to access the higher level
    missions. Eventually, I worked my way up to level 3 missions which were
    profitable, and once I got to level 4 missions, I was making a ton of
    money (or what I considered to be a ton of money) and at that point, I
    was on a "missioning high" for about a month as silly as it may seem. I
    enjoyed lvl 4 missions because of how profitable they were and really
    allowed me to splurge a lot on T2 ships and such for pvp.

At any rate, I was a noob back at the end of December 05 and here I am
    9 months later still having a blast with EVE which has kept me playing
    longer than any other mmo I've played. It is however, easy to see EVE
    and just a grind game so I don't blame you. However, EVE is not so
    superficial that everything about one thing can be seen at first sight.
    ;)

"To quote a certain man in the newspaper business... "Crap... crap... mega crap. Its all crap."

Was nice to start out my morning with a good laugh though. Cheers"

More Paraphrasing: WRONG WRONG WRONG! HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH MY OPINION, NOOB!]
    I think one of you. Maybe two actualy provide minors facts about the game. I mean, at least in WoW some of them make cool Chuck Norris jokes. I'd say they have the better community.

Calm down man. Don't get riled up so easily. No need to start shouting and why would I think that the one who wrote that was a new EVE player ("NOOB!" as you used it)? Everyone is entitled to their own opinions as are you. We all see things from different perspectivies. I found it very hard to believe the OP's quoted words of perception of a claimed "veteran" of EVE as any veteran or any player who's played EVE for more than a few months can tell you otherwise of his bashing claims.

Many people have said facts about EVE as I just have in this post, although I fail to see what facts tie Chuck Norris jokes and WoW together. As I said, you are entitled to your own opinion and if you believe that the WoW community is better than the EVE community, then it only makes sense for you to stay here no longer as this isn't the right community for you right?. So, it follows logically that it would be best for you to go back to WoW. Don't leave angry man, just leave. _o/

(Sorry about all the boldface. Blasted post)

• NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

I thought similiarly as well for a long time. However, in the last month I got into player trading with various things from mods to T2 ships instead of trade goods with npc trading. Tbh, I never expected that there could be so many ways to go about trading (in what way and where to acquire what goods and in what way and where to sell said goods) and so many things to think about when looking for the best trade route. To an extent, you get competition with other traders and producers (pvp on a different level) and while it doesn't get my heart racing like PVP, its enjoyable, relaxing, and satisfying when I log in the next day I find my wallet bigger from items that people had bought over night. I'm sure there is still much more about trading that I don't know (especially when it comes to contracts with a producer player) but, I do know from my experience that there is more to it than meets the eye ;)

EDIT: Actually, trading (which I only started out 2 months ago with 20m capital to invest) is making more money quicker than lvl 4 missions. Of course I'll still do level 4 missions whilest I wait for things to be bought/sold and to work up the LP for a CNR.
  • waylanderukwaylanderuk Member Posts: 40

I'm going to stay neutral in this arguement but I have a neutral observation to make. You EVE fans do realize every arguement you made so far is pretty much(paraphrase) :
    You're wrong! You're soooo wrong! YOU LIE! SOOO BAD! EVE HAS 5000 SYSTEMS TO EXPLORE! I don't know what to do in those systems, besides mine or PvP(and I also forget that combate in EVE is even less complicated than in WoW, which is a cramy game of itself). But you just aren't good enought to see what EVE is about, go back to WoW, noob.

[Insert several half assed comments in an attempt to discredit the author. I'll cite NatEVE:
    "I bet he enjoyes playing games just to "max" a character or be "the best!1"."
    Covered by the "theres no way but time to incrase skills" portion of the post...
    Or maybe he just enjoys not getting owned by other players just because they have the +3422402 Deathcannon that he can't even get until he's shelled out $15 a month to the company that owns EVE for two straight years?
    Utter bullshit is what that claim is...lets not even touch on the fact that such a weapon does not exsist in ayway shape of form...
    "There is no other mmo out there with the depth and complexity that have has though she does not reveal her full face to the entire audiance but rather keeps them guessing, anticipating, and wanting until they at least see but a portion of her beauty."
    Again, paraphrasing: There's no other mmo that makes us grind and pay monthly fees for no actual entertainment before it actualy becomes an enjoyable game.
    "To quote a certain man in the newspaper business... "Crap... crap... mega crap. Its all crap."
    I would say virually any MMO has grinding of one degree or another, in eve its for ISK, how ever you get your ISK is up to you, mission running, pirating, trading, manufactuoring, market speculation, NPC hunting, extroton, scamming, mining....etc At least their is absoulty NO XP grinding in any way shape or form.

Was nice to start out my morning with a good laugh though. Cheers"
    More Paraphrasing: WRONG WRONG WRONG! HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE WITH MY OPINION, NOOB!]
    I think one of you. Maybe two actualy provide minors facts about the game. I mean, at least in WoW some of them make cool Chuck Norris jokes. I'd say they have the better community.
    I would suggest you dial back the arsehole like behavour though...more than 2 of us have gave facts about the game..I know I did.
    But its highly unlikely you will actually make any real points.
    Oh and BTW the eve forums where full o "chuck Norris" jokes and posts about 8 months ago and thank god it stopped eventually...