Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i get guild wars or should i go with wow?

adamkinadamkin Member Posts: 15
i am stumped on this, because i have some buds that want me to play wow and then some buds that want me to play guild wars...if someone can help me out on this i would be very happy.

Comments

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

The two games are not comparable. There's very little in common between the two, so it really comes down to a matter of personal preference.

I'd check up with the guys that want you to play WoW first. See if they want to help you level up, or if they want to start new alts so you're all the same level. If not, don't do it. You'll just end up soloing or power leveling to level 60 so they can drag you along raiding. Not fun.

Talk with the guys that want you to play GW, too. See if they have low level characters, or if they want to all start fresh with Nightfall or some such. If not, they may still help you, but it'll just be more boring power leveling and watching high level characters beat up on stuff that hasn't been hard for them for ages. Not much fun there, either.

On the other hand, you could play both. When you get tired of WoW and need a break, GW would still be sitting there waiting for you. Or, if you couldn't afford the monthly on WoW, GW could let you still play. If you get in to PvP, GW is much better (player skill based rather than l33t l00t based). If you enjoy solo play or if you like the gathering/crafting aspect of games, WoW is your best bet (GW doesn't have that). GW is much more challenging than WoW is, be that a good thing or a bad thing.

Honestly though, I don't see how you could go wrong. Both are excelent games.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519
    I agree with Vg, Guild Wars is more challenging ( some will debate this) .I have played both extensively and enjoyed both very much. You are probably going to enjoy WoW more though but if pvp is your thing,I would say Guild Wars. Read some forums and try to find a guild that is recruiting new players :)

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• BigDogofBriaBigDogofBria Member Posts: 147

I budget one pay to play mmo at a time. Currently it's WoW, which I just started playing a month ago, only because I had been playing GW since launch and was sort of spent on it. The great thing about GW is I can go back to it whenever. Usually I play while they are holding some sort of in game event, like this weekend. I play for the weekend and sometimes I get back into it and sometimes I don't. If you can afford both games (I don't see why not prophecies by itself is like 19.99 now) you should play them both. I'd recomend trying guild wars out no matter what. You can play it for free without buying a copy during one of the preview weekends. The graphics are the best on the market right now and definately worth a look.

The in game events are very well done in GW. I think everyone was stunned by Halloween last year. The snowball fight pvp at Christmas was extremely addictive, people are still petitioning it be live year round. Plus there is no end in sight as to how much content is going to be added to this game. NCSoft has even suggested a sci-fi based expansion may be a future release. GW is destined to go down as one of those games that even though you might not play everyday against w/e fps or mmo has your attention at the moment, you will always come back to it.

Guild Wars, as the developers will tell you, is not an mmorpg in the traditional sense. That's a little misleading because it is definately more of an mmorpg that it is any other type of game. It has all the mmorpg elements. The only difference is that the game is entirely instanced. You meet up with other players in one of the dozens upon dozens of hubs and then go out questing with the group (max 8 players) in your own instance. Another important thing to know about GW is that it's main focus is pvp. The pve is rich and rewarding, and worth buying a copy of the game for, but unless you plan to pvp don't expect endless hours of gameplay exploring Tyria.

WoW is what it is. A traditional mmo with a less than painful grind to 60, lots of questing and a limited amount of high end. I recommend a RPPVP server like maelstrom. Many people shrug of WoW as a kids game, but I think this is due to the developer's choice of color palette. Underneath it's cartoony design it has as much depth as anything else you are like to play.

GLHF

• carpsycocarpsyco Member Posts: 95

Never post on a games forum saying "should i play this game or this game?" Mostly everybody on this forum will say guild wars.

P.S.Play guild wars

Carpsyco

cmc.mrx.ca/
    Awesome Free Trading Card Game!

• brownhackerbrownhacker Member Posts: 60
    Both games are great so you may try one of them and play the other one later... just pick first the games where your closest buddies are currently in... lol

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Now's a good time to try both games - I think PC Gamer or another big magazine is giving away 14-day demos to WOW and this weekend is the open Nightfall preview free to the public.

GW is a great game and I think Nightfall is going to take things to the next level. That being said - this game can be hard to play if you don't have a good group backing you. If your buddies can help you in GW great. If not, I would start looking for guilds recruiting online and see if they would be a good fit by posting on their forums.

Unfortunately, I've known too many people who liked GW as a game but were put off by meeting the wrong idiots in game who wouldn't give them a break as they learned the ropes.

• VGJusticeVGJustice Member Posts: 640

Originally posted by BattleFelon
    Unfortunately, I've known too many people who liked GW as a game but were put off by meeting the wrong idiots in game who wouldn't give them a break as they learned the ropes.
    Which is totally unlike WoW, where you won't find out your character stinks until most of the way through level 40 where you either have to shell out mad cash to reset your Talent Points or you have to start powerfarming until you can find some equipment that's up to par. Either way, it's a huge time investment followed by a huge time investment. At least in Guild Wars you can change your build practically on the fly.

But, I've also known some people in Guild Wars that can't take it when a team mate plays to the secondary. Since I'm a PvE Sword Ranger, I've seen well more than my fair share of Ragequits. "NUB RANGERS GOT A SORD! *map out*"

I hate it when players do that. Ruins it for everyone.

--~~--
    Play Guild Wars? Go here - http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Main_Page
    And go here for the new official Guild Wars Wiki! http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Now another one of these posts ... *sigh*

I think you shall try Guild Wars, why? Because you posted the question in the GUILD WARS FORUM. That has to mean something about what game you are the most interested about at the moment.

GW is free per month, WoW ain't, buy GW and TRY. It's worth a try. When it comes to WoW, try it at someone else's place first, it's not worth spending all the cash just to try it...

GL HF

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• BigDogofBriaBigDogofBria Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by VGJustice

Originally posted by BattleFelon
    Which is totally unlike WoW, where you won't find out your character stinks until most of the way through level 40 where you either have to shell out mad cash to reset your Talent Points or you have to start powerfarming until you can find some equipment that's up to par. Either way, it's a huge time investment followed by a huge time investment. At least in Guild Wars you can change your build practically on the fly.

But, I've also known some people in Guild Wars that can't take it when a team mate plays to the secondary. Since I'm a PvE Sword Ranger, I've seen well more than my fair share of Ragequits. "NUB RANGERS GOT A SORD! *map out*"

I hate it when players do that. Ruins it for everyone.

You use a sword with a ranger?! Lousy noobs! I haven't gotten a gladiator point all day!

/ragequits

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Buy them both.. thats what i did
  • DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Pay me and I love you long time