Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entertainer Revamp discussion

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by hargrave
    Sounds like a bunch of excuses. I think u made my point even more thanks. I never said pre-cu was perfect but in comparison to NGE lol give me a break. As for everything else youve said the NGE is doing all that to so your just make a catch 22 arguement there both the same in that respect with add ons flaws. No matter what and how you say it pre-cu had more players and was overall better if u disagree thats fine.

Ummm, ok. I never said it didn't and I never said it wasn't.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

ooook guess im throwing spin out as u put it then lol.

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

I hear that. The NGE lovers crack me up with all the propaganda. There servers are empty and yet they defend it and claim its so great and try to fix the game for people who get payed to do it lol and then they tell them no we cant do what u want and they still defend them lol go figure

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I find most people view the Pre-CU environment through rose-colored glass. The Pre-CU game was good in concept; rarely in actual game play. For example, how long did it take the Devs to get bounty hunter droids working? Not to mention poor design mechanics (buffs, armor, skill templates) that made players invincible.

The NGE may be a lesser version of SWG, but I'd argue SWG was never that great of a game to begin with (just in concept).

Imo, most players kept their subscriptions active hoping SOE/LA would somehow 'fix' the game. Further, how many of you would've stayed in the game without the community? I'm betting few of you would.

I digress ...

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Originally posted by IcoGames

I find most people view the Pre-CU environment through rose-colored glass. The Pre-CU game was good in concept; rarely in actual game play. For example, how long did it take the Devs to get bounty hunter droids working? Not to mention poor design mechanics (buffs, armor, skill templates) that made players invincible.

I don't disagree with that, I quit once during pre-CU for exactly those reasons.  It was always a good concept being poorly implemented by a substandard management team.

The difference between pre-CU and NGE, for me, is that pre-CU they were badly managing a game I was interested in playing ..... now they're badly managing a game I never would have bought and have no interest in.

Pre-CU they had a chance of improving quality and getting me back .... it doesn't matter how many tweaks they make to the NGE, it will never get me back.

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409
    DDR sucks...put in Guitar Hero instead.
  • AhotareAhotare Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by anaic
    DDR sucks...put in Guitar Hero instead.

Taiko Master > Guitar Hero :)

Question.../raisehand

Never played SWG, so I have a question regarding pre-cu  Ents.  Was there an advantage to having >1 Ent in the same place at a time?

For example, could Ents group with other Ents and/or Musicians for a gestalt effect?  Like marginally more powerful or unique buffs?

If that were the case then the DDR idea would be a neat way of introducing skills for the Ent, since the more Ents/Musicians = more powerful buffs = more difficulty, since all of them have to be on the ball.

But what am I saying?  Ain't gonna happen, given the warm reception people here get on the suckboards :P

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the effect of the buff was the same (increased mental based health) no matter how many ents you had, just the buff may have been applied quicker if you were in a bigger ent group.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    In my opinion everyone should give their suggestions for an Entertainer revamp and I'm certain SOE will take notice (they are asking after all?) and implement whatever it is that the players are asking for. After all look at the success they've had with the Smuggler revamp.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by superkewl
    pre-cu = greatest system everu just upset cuz u got pwn in pre-cu & no u want it back 2

*laughing* that's funny, Ico getting owned? Ok there chief...

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Obraik
    It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the effect of the buff was the same (increased mental based health) no matter how many ents you had, just the buff may have been applied quicker if you were in a bigger ent group.

Well Dancers and Musicans buffed different stats so you could say seeing more then one was worthwhile as long as the second one was the opposite type to the first. Apart from that their was no game mechanic reason why more entertainers would be better. Musicans did form bands although I my sound off if I was listening to one in game so I can't tell you how well different instruments and music styles combined and dancers would from dance troops and create dance routines but that was jsut a visual benefit.

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by War_Dancer

Originally posted by BlazinBlades

“This Revamp has some of things in it that we have been wanting and looking for since launch day, if you don’t like the proposed revamp to the Entertainer, then you are one of two things, 1. You do not play entertainer much, or 2. You just don’t like SOE and the DEVs and it don’t matter what they do.”

I'm 1 and 2. I don't play entertainer at all and I don't like SoE with good reason.

That said if the actual at the keyboard entertainers are all happy with the revamp when they know the final details of how it all works then that's grand. The details provided are vague enough that it could all turn out useless and a waste of time though. The crafter buffs in concept sounded great but in execution were hardly used and they didn't even have negative downers built into them on purpose. The mini game could be fun but do you really see Helios or ChrisCao understand what someone might find fun in a game like that let alone designing one that is fun? The actual revamp parts of the revamp could be unwanted and unused after a month and the novelty wears off.

Well that is why it is a proposed Revamp, nothing is concrete yet, more then likely there will be changes made, some more features added in and etc….. Over the next Month or two there will be more clarification on exactly what the features are going to be, but even then they still can be changed, and once it goes to TC, it still may require more changes or more additions of other features into it. We will have to wait and see.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• JediGeekJediGeek Member Posts: 446

For the record, Helios is still a complete moron.  He still doesn't even understand what MMORPG means.
    He seems to think that any game on "teh intarweb" is another Counter-Strike clone.  He is incapable of comprehending any type of online game besides that.  He can't even comprehend much past "OMGWTFBBQPWN T3H N00BZ0RZ!"  He's an idiot.

He should be fired, and whoever hired him fired as well.

SWG Tempest: Cardo Dycen RIP
    Eve: Cardoh Dycen
    I support random drug testing for all SOE employees

Pre-cu wasnt as bad in comparison. How do you explain that pre-cu had more people and NGE is empty servers? maybe it was horrid to you before but like i said in comparison to nge pre-cu was live far as im concrned it wasnt perfect ill give u that. I wasnt refering to the beta aspect of it as much as i was hes bieng a tool for soe thats the bigger point i was making. Helios own post proves my point you cant disagree there and no he doesnt get it at all that hes bieng used and is a tool. I will agree PRE-cu had issues the difference is pre-cu had small issues to be fixed here and there and NGE has HUGE issues that need to be fixed a lot. So you can get back on your high pedestal there judge.

Originally posted by Fadeus
    About as hard as it is for you to figure out that SWG is a beta and your paying to test it lol. You still dont get it obraik and never will unlike the 98% rest of us do. So you keep telling them what they want and as helios himself said we cant do that heres this rehashed crap hows that you can enjoy that with pirrg in ther obraik and u 2 can be king of the NPCS with your kotor armor lol. To bad u cant catch on your bieng used and your a tool for SOE i dont supose youll agree they took the ideas people wanted and said no we can do that when helios said so himself huh? I feel sorry for you man

It's been a paid beta since launch. Here we go again, more spin. This is what I am talking about. YOU liked the gameplay before so you were willing to overlook the horrid state the game was in but now that it's the NGE and you don't approve of it he doesn't get it?
    How convenient.

Pre-cu wasnt as bad in comparison. How do you explain that pre-cu had more people and NGE is empty servers? maybe it was horrid to you before but like i said in comparison to nge pre-cu was live far as im concrned it wasnt perfect ill give u that. I wasnt refering to the beta aspect of it as much as i was hes bieng a tool for soe thats the bigger point i was making. Helios own post proves my point you cant disagree there and no he doesnt get it at all that hes bieng used and is a tool. I will agree PRE-cu had issues the difference is pre-cu had small issues to be fixed here and there and NGE has HUGE issues that need to be fixed a lot. So you can get back on your high pedestal there judge.

Actually the vast majority of players quite the game during Pre-CU time period, trying to compare Pre-CU to NGE is pointless, both systems have their faults and their positive points, some problems in the NGE are worst then in the Pre-CU system, some problems in the Pre-CU were worst then in the NGE system.

As far as which system has more problems, well the NGE has some big problems, but I also fondly remember many huge problems in the Pre-CU system and yes they were every bit as big as any that are or have been in the NGE. Anyone who really wanted to be honest and look at it from and unbiased point of view would know that.

As far as servers being empty, it would be foolish for some one to honestly say that the servers are not as active as they had been before, however it should also be noted that it is no secrete that there has been a steady increases of new players coming into the game and  increase in returning players, my server has been very active for the past four months, and I have a few mates located in other servers who have reported that their serves have also become more active over the past while.

I can understand how and why players who no longer play the game, or do still play feel the servers are dead in comparison to what it was before, the reason I understand that is because when SWG was launched I remember playing it and it was packed full of players, and then 3 to 6 months later the servers were complete empty compared to what they were before, a lot of players quite, so I understand how that feels, but people still played it and still enjoyed it and still do.

But sitting there telling someone they are tool to SOE is silly, what makes you so special, do you honestly think that because you no longer play SWG and give money to SOE that you are different, that you are special, or that you are not also a tool for SOE.

I am afraid to give you some bad news, but SOE has never changed the way it has done business for the past 3 years, SOE still gives the same type of service it has been giving over the past 3 years, SOE basically still treats players of the game the same way it has treated them for the past 3 years, nothing about SOE has changed over the past 3 years, and SOE has screwed players for the past 3 years, and yet you played the game, in fact you fully support that game in a Pre-CU state,  the only thing that changed for you was the NGE system coming online.

You sitting there claiming that someone is a tool for SOE is hypocritical, and such an accusation is also accusations of you own self. If you don’t like the NGE and don’t want to play with it then don’t, if you don’t like SOE and don’t want to give them money to play the game then don’t bother doing so.

I don’t like the NGE myself, I like parts of it, and I like parts of the CU and parts of the Pre-CU systems, but even though I am not a huge fan of the NGE I do have to admit that the game is getting a lot better, there are less bugs in the game now then there has been before, many players I know who left the game after the first week of the NGE have returned and are surprised by the game right now, some have come back for a month to test things out and have left to give it a few more months and then return. Bring it on down now.

LOL that is the biggest load of propaganda ive ever heard are u serious? There is no way in hell more people left pre-cu then nge. Pre-cu had full servers NGE has never had the amount of people nowhere even close to pre-cu. This is the one fact all the NGE lovers cant get around or change this is fact empty severs are empty servers no inturpretations or views on that any one trying the trial or playing will disagree on that theres no comparison to pre-cu to NGE server population. I like how you make the point people resubscribe and cancel again as well this is another point about what a piece of shit NGE is they keep thinking if they rehash the right content or ripoff kotor in a great way the vets will all return lol not working to great is it. SOE is clueless and will never catch on even know when its past to late the trader revamp will be another deciding factor to remove another bulk not theres any crafters left and what is there to craft now a days anyways?. What makes me not a tool is dont pay to beta test a game and then tell people with "Community college" degrees how to do there job then get told they cant do my idea thats what makes me not a soe tool. If you pay to beta test a game and tell them to fix it and pay them on top of it that is bieng used and a tool lol theres no other way to explain that. Your also a soe tool if like your post defend a company like soe that treats its customers like total shit and lies there ass of to them as well. Its kinda like saying inn ww2 terms the germans are great people they cloth and feed people at concetration camps so there not that bad at all lol. What changed for me was the total disregard for the peoples proffesions that got axed with the NGE. That was the most messed up thing ive ever seen done to a video game player not even so much as an apology and what did they get a little buff oh spectacular wow!!!.

[quote]Originally posted by BlazinBlades
    [b

Actually the vast majority of players quite the game during Pre-CU time period, trying to compare Pre-CU to NGE is pointless, both systems have their faults and their positive points, some problems in the NGE are worst then in the Pre-CU system, some problems in the Pre-CU were worst then in the NGE system.

As far as which system has more problems, well the NGE has some big problems, but I also fondly remember many huge problems in the Pre-CU system and yes they were every bit as big as any that are or have been in the NGE. Anyone who really wanted to be honest and look at it from and unbiased point of view would know that.

As far as servers being empty, it would be foolish for some one to honestly say that the servers are not as active as they had been before, however it should also be noted that it is no secrete that there has been a steady increases of new players coming into the game and  increase in returning players, my server has been very active for the past four months, and I have a few mates located in other servers who have reported that their serves have also become more active over the past while.

I can understand how and why players who no longer play the game, or do still play feel the servers are dead in comparison to what it was before, the reason I understand that is because when SWG was launched I remember playing it and it was packed full of players, and then 3 to 6 months later the servers were complete empty compared to what they were before, a lot of players quite, so I understand how that feels, but people still played it and still enjoyed it and still do.

But sitting there telling someone they are tool to SOE is silly, what makes you so special, do you honestly think that because you no longer play SWG and give money to SOE that you are different, that you are special, or that you are not also a tool for SOE.

I am afraid to give you some bad news, but SOE has never changed the way it has done business for the past 3 years, SOE still gives the same type of service it has been giving over the past 3 years, SOE basically still treats players of the game the same way it has treated them for the past 3 years, nothing about SOE has changed over the past 3 years, and SOE has screwed players for the past 3 years, and yet you played the game, in fact you fully support that game in a Pre-CU state,  the only thing that changed for you was the NGE system coming online.

You sitting there claiming that someone is a tool for SOE is hypocritical, and such an accusation is also accusations of you own self. If you don’t like the NGE and don’t want to play with it then don’t, if you don’t like SOE and don’t want to give them money to play the game then don’t bother doing so.

I don’t like the NGE myself, I like parts of it, and I like parts of the CU and parts of the Pre-CU systems, but even though I am not a huge fan of the NGE I do have to admit that the game is getting a lot better, there are less bugs in the game now then there has been before, many players I know who left the game after the first week of the NGE have returned and are surprised by the game right now, some have come back for a month to test things out and have left to give it a few more months and then return. Bring it on down now.[/b][/quote]

John Smedley

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Ideas put forward by Helios:

Dance-Dance revolution (simon says) style entertainer challenges (mini-game)

A video of this new ability has just been leaked to the public! BEHOLD!
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I logged into SWG briefly this month since I'd been playing EQII here and there  I figured I'd give the station pass one month.  When I first logged in it was to catch up with old friends and see if any improvement have been made.  My guild is dead in the game in 3 weeks I saw one person, this versus literally a 100 man group pre NGE.  My town is a ghost town and it used to be a very busy place for more than just our guild.  Many guilds met at one of our cantinas and went on hunts since we were in a great loc to hunt from.  I thought, we'll I have a month I'll not completely gonna dismiss the game since I had been gone for 8 months I figured that some good had come from that time. 

Heres what I've gathered change wise: expertise system for my jedi and bounty hunter, this is a shallow attempt at template creation but its minor really, pick this path and you get this move pick that and you get a different move with similar effects.  The previous template system was great, I mastered 4 or 5 profs just because it was fun and finding different templates could lead to cool and unexpected results.  So the expertise system is a shallow bandaid for a broken system basically.

Then I tried combat, I figured I basically had to have a master robe or no pvp(and thats what most do since nothing is left at 90 really) so I looked for a group for the Droid factory for litrerally a week and zero luck.  Never enough people around to do it or they simply would rather pvp or whatever.  I ended up buying one and it cost 20 million, yes thats right 20 million.  The econmy without decay has been destroyed, inflation is so bad that you might as well loot what you use.

So I finally added my master robe and found a template for my jedi, decided to pvp and honestly there is little to no thought to it.  You have maybe 5 or 6 moves you use and two saber strikes at 90 so its kinda like a bad fighting game.  Each fight ends up being who has the temp effects or spice/food from pre NGE active wins.  Everyone has the jinso blade with 17-18 crystals so little thought goes into the fight.  No decay so once you have the perfect saber its all on how much you will spend on pre NGE food and spice which in the case of Spice goes for 2.5 million a case on my server.

I honestly am dumbfounded on what they have been doing in the last 8 months.  I heard there was an expansion in the works but was canceled due to the fact that subs are now down to 100k or less.  I imagine many of those subs are people with station passes such as my guild who play EQII and are in Vanguard beta so keep station pass.  From the lack of players I imagine if you take out station pass users, the numbers would look horrible for this game.  When people say they've seen the numbers increase I almost want to ask them what they are smoking because that has to be some good shit.

I went into this month with a open mind and found that little has changed in 8 months, empty promises, empty servers, little left to do at 90 other than PVP which means nothing.  To SOE, revert to pre cu or even cu and maybe the game survives otherwise those pesky rumors of a feb. shutdown become closer to reality.  Lets hope Bioware gets the license and can do a better job with the game.  I keep hearing that LA is going to let Bioware retool the game while its down after Feb. and maybe we'll get a pre cu game with a new graphics engine and some sort of balance and complexity.  if anyone can save this game I believe that the team bioware has assembled for that mystery MMO in there Austin studio can do it so heres hoping.  I'll come back to a bioware run galaxies in a second but as of now I'm prolly done with SOE for now I canceled my station pass and won't return(to EQII either) til maybe vanguard and thats more because SOE doesn't have their hands on the game just publishing it.

Peace

• anaicanaic Member Posts: 409

Originally posted by tillamook

Now THAT I did not need to see.

Well I respect your opinion on the matter, but I do feel the need to point out a few things, SWG did have well over three hundred thousand players before the CU and the NGE, no one knows the exact number though so I am guessing like everyone else does. But that still does not explain were the other roughly over seven hundred thousand players disappeared to before the CU and the NGE. They seem to have disappeared during the Pre-CU.

What makes me not a tool is dont pay to beta test a game and then tell people with "Community college" degrees how to do there job then get told they cant do my idea thats what makes me not a soe tool. If you pay to beta test a game and tell them to fix it and pay them on top of it that is bieng used and a tool lol theres no other way to explain that. Your also a soe tool if like your post defend a company like soe that treats its customers like total shit and lies there ass of to them as well.

Every MMO on the market have players making suggestions to the Developers on how to improve and or fix the game, and sometimes the Devs use the ideas, but most times they do not use them. For the past 3 years in SWG players have been putting forth ideas and suggestions on how to make the game work better, function better, balance better, and etc…, and for the most part, the Devs would say no they can not do that, and yet you played. You seem to also consider this game to be in beta stage, but if you look at the game today and consider it in beta state, then you would have to accept the fact that the game was in a beta state since launch for the past 3 years, and yet you still played. SOE has always treated their SWG players like crap, they have lied to SWG players thousands of times over the past 3 years, and yet you still played. You go around accusing people who play of being tools for SOE, and yet you are just as big of a tool as everyone you accuse of being a tool today, but not only that, your also a hypocrite, and in my books that’s even worst then just being a tool.

Its kinda like saying inn ww2 terms the germans are great people they cloth and feed people at concetration camps so there not that bad at all lol.

Comparing SOE an entertainment company to the Nazis who murdered Millions of Jews, Jehovah Witnesses, Gays, Disabled people is pathetic, the worst part of this section of your post is the fact that you don’t have any clue who the heck you are talking to, nor do you have any idea if people in here lost their whole families during that time. To me having SOE an entertainment company change a stupid video game is nothing compared to watching your family members butchered in front you, just because of their beliefs.

What changed for me was the total disregard for the peoples proffesions that got axed with the NGE..

Your right, some professions got axed, some professions got added into other professions, and some got changed, but then again to me, I remember losing abilities, I remember watching my CH becoming useless and be changed and nerfed not just once or twice or three times but many times, and not just my CH, it happened to all of my Characters, they were always being changed and having abilities being added then taken away, then seeing existing abilities be changed and dumped and put back in and then revamp and then changed and then dumped and then given to another profession and given back and etc…. etc….etc… I remember spending a lot of time developing my characters into a great build only to have the character become useless thee following week due to changes and or removal of abilities. It happened during the Pre-CU and during the CU and during the NGE, and its still happening today. This sort of total disregard has happened through the whole three years the game has been running. But anyways we all agree to disagree, oh and by the way I do not recall defending SOE, nor are all players who play SWG, NGE fans, you may want to invest some time learning the difference between the two. Bring it on down now.

• AhotareAhotare Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by tillamook

EYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!  

My eyes....ohhhhh, my eyes...

/flee

• LeelLeel Member Posts: 455
    move this to "The Rebellion".

Originally posted by Leel

O rly?

Thought it would be more Current material :P

• MirokataMirokata Member Posts: 107

O rly?

Thought it would be more Current material :P

Too many "disgruntled veteran players" are posting here.
  • LeelLeel Member Posts: 455

yeah but this is a good post.  It should go with the people that can handle a good conversation.  The "Current" board can't appreciate a debate to this level.   Thats why you will spend the majority of your time in the "Rebellion". 

You know I'm right, and I actually want you there.  Very good dynamic this board had.

BTW- "Current" board = this forums "GAT"

yeah but this is a good post.  It should go with the people that can handle a good conversation.  The "Current" board can't appreciate a debate to this level.  Obraik you know I'm right.  Thats why you will spend the majority of your time in the "Rebellion". 

You know I'm right, and I actually want you there.  Very good dynamic this board had.

The way I understood it, the Current forum is to discuss current issues/developments with the game.  The veteran board is for talking about how SWG was and what you miss, etc