Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Entertainer Revamp discussion

Comments

• ReachwindReachwind Member Posts: 275

When I read this, I laughed so hard I peed a little.

To Helios; How about you actually read the entertainer forums once in a while and get an idea of what it is that those people do and what they might actually like to be doing?

To those people who have 'stuck it out' hoping the devs would fix the game; ROFLMAO! Still feel good about giving that company your money?

Over the years the entertainer community have discussed what it is that they do, what it is that they want to do and what it is that the devs have tried to push them to do and they don't like to do. Guess what? This list comes straight off the 'please don't let it be this' list. All of it. From the DDR to the buffs.

The entertainer community wants tools to make art. They want the art to have meaning for the rest of the playerbase as something a little bit more than art so they can package it, sell it and be competitive with it. They want an audience that needs them at their best. This doesn't even come close to hitting the mark.

The best part is just before Helios wrote this laughable crap the entertainers posted this.

Former SWG beta tester and player

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

It seems to me that everybody wants entertainers to be buff sellers, except of course, the entertainers themselves.  Entertainers want to be rewarded for how entertaining they are.  Not for giving out buffs.

It seems to me that if you are going to an entertainer to get a buff, you don't want entertainment.  You want a buff.  So then, why can't the entertainers just apply it instantly, like doctors used to do, instead of making them wait through a show that neither one of them wants to sit through, "just because?"

Another thing also that I think the devs need to understand is that entertainers are players just like everyone else, and because of this, need to be able to have a game to play whether there are others around, or not.  That is why they need combat, or why they need to make ents secondary.  If there is nobody around to dispense a buff at, and nobody around who wants to do the entertainer vs entertainer game, then there is nothing for an entertainer to do (besides space, but then again, every class has space, and a whole lot more as well).

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Fadeus

Sounds to me like I will never see Entertainers back in my PA's cantina then since they are going to get bored waiting for people to come find then. They are all going to be stacked at a few select spots in the galaxy and that's it.

On Bloodfin there was a guild called Ents , Aside from our popular buff botters. They were our prime group of entertainers . These guys and gals were all over our galaxy  . It seemed everyday a small group of them had an event somewhere . Even though I was a combat oriented player .This is one aspect of SWG I always tend to miss when trying out other games . It really helped in fleshing out a living, breathing world.

This is what NGE truely lacks . And might actually be playable , Might I even say enjoyable .If it had as strong of a community eviroment as it did in its pre-cu form .

please excuse my grammer , I think the Car Bombs , Rumplemints and newcastles I had last night ( on top of 4 hours sleep) are doing most of my thinking right now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643
    I foresee the rise of AFK ent buff-bot again in the near future.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Originally posted by Malickiebloo

Sounds to me like I will never see Entertainers back in my PA's cantina then since they are going to get bored waiting for people to come find then. They are all going to be stacked at a few select spots in the galaxy and that's it.

On Bloodfin there was a guild called Ents , Aside from our popular buff botters. They were our prime group of entertainers . These guys and gals were all over our galaxy  . It seemed everyday a small group of them had an event somewhere . Even though I was a combat oriented player .This is one aspect of SWG I always tend to miss when trying out other games . It really helped in fleshing out a living, breathing world.

This is what NGE truely lacks . And might actually be playable , Might I even say enjoyable .If it had as strong of a community eviroment as it did in its pre-cu form .

please excuse my grammer , I think the Car Bombs , Rumplemints and newcastles I had last night ( on top of 4 hours sleep) are doing most of my thinking right now.

Hey, Do you remember the band of Tuskens that would roam from town to town? Based out of Mos Entooine I believe.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Hey, Do you remember the band of Tuskens that would roam from town to town? Based out of Mos Entooine I believe.

Yeah , Those guys all rode banthas haha , I didn't see many of them around after the cu sadly :( . Their city rocked though , They had a huge amount of tusken flare there .

I attended a wedding in that city , Between a Rebel and an IMP lol . The leader of IES Sajja(SP) was the bride don't remember the groom though  .I believe he was one of the Tusken roleplayers .

Yeah , Those guys all rode banthas haha , I didn't see many of them around after the cu sadly :( . Their city rocked though , They had a huge amount of tusken flare there .

I attended a wedding in that city , Between a Rebel and an IMP lol . The leader of IES Sajja(SP) was the bride don't remember the groom though  .I believe he was one of the Tusken roleplayers .

Funny as hell to walk into a bar and see a full band  playing and they were all Tuskens!

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Who was it that ran MosVegas back in the day?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Funny as hell to walk into a bar and see a full band  playing and they were all Tuskens!

HAHA yeah it was.

Originally posted by tillamook

Hmmm. Don't remember the name. Fairly large city,

I'm not quite sure TBH . I might actually have to do a search on that one .Now I'm curious as well lol .

From a quick forum search it looks like the first one to start Mos Vegas was Arstarr Deathbringer of
    VoD.

http://soe.lithium.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Bloodfin&message.id=31007&query.id=0#M31007

It is also ironic , One of the strongest Imperial reigns on our server . Was led By an entertainer lol . Gotta love Vol for what he was . 

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    They may not give you folks every little thing you want but at least they are responding to some of the issues and do something to make things more fun and useful. Personally they could just say screw it and do nothing at all for the game and it would still prolly hold on to life support for a couple more years. 

What they useally do is give things that nobody wants or asked for. I'd probably still be playing today if they hadn't done the NGE.

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

It sounds like the Revamp will give entertainers more meaningful abilities that they can use, even better and more meaningful then they have had in the past 3 years. Excellent, I know many of the Entertainers were actually shocked at what is proposed in the Revamp, they really like it. So this should be very interesting and exciting to see. One long time entertainer put it best, she has played since launch, “This Revamp has some of things in it that we have been wanting and looking for since launch day, if you don’t like the proposed revamp to the Entertainer, then you are one of two things, 1. You do not play entertainer much, or 2. You just don’t like SOE and the DEVs and it don’t matter what they do.” It should be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• OuchmuchOuchmuch Member Posts: 340

I think it is sad that entetainers provide a nice list of things they would like to see including minigames but when they ask for Sabacc and other Star Wars games they are offered Dance Dance Revolution, though I suppose adding in complex minigames would defeat the purpose of dumbing down the rest of the game .

I checked out the link to a small list of what entertainers would like to see and I am not even remotely suprised that a dev has not responded in any way to it.

• War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by BlazinBlades

“This Revamp has some of things in it that we have been wanting and looking for since launch day, if you don’t like the proposed revamp to the Entertainer, then you are one of two things, 1. You do not play entertainer much, or 2. You just don’t like SOE and the DEVs and it don’t matter what they do.”

I'm 1 and 2. I don't play entertainer at all and I don't like SoE with good reason.

That said if the actual at the keyboard entertainers are all happy with the revamp when they know the final details of how it all works then that's grand. The details provided are vague enough that it could all turn out useless and a waste of time though. The crafter buffs in concept sounded great but in execution were hardly used and they didn't even have negative downers built into them on purpose. The mini game could be fun but do you really see Helios or ChrisCao understand what someone might find fun in a game like that let alone designing one that is fun? The actual revamp parts of the revamp could be unwanted and unused after a month and the novelty wears off.

• hargravehargrave Member Posts: 329

About as hard as it is for you to figure out that SWG is a beta and your paying to test it lol. You still dont get it obraik and never will unlike the 98% rest of us do. So you keep telling them what they want and as helios himself said we cant do that heres this rehashed crap hows that you can enjoy that with pirrg in ther obraik and u 2 can be king of the NPCS with your kotor armor lol. To bad u cant catch on your bieng used and your a tool for SOE i dont supose youll agree they took the ideas people wanted and said no we can do that when helios said so himself huh? I feel sorry for you man

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by hargrave
    LOL why are u people still trying to do there work for them? If hes gonna use your ideas shouldnt u be payed? lol what the hell is his job there now anyways take your ideas and claim there his own? Im sorry but Obraik i have to tell you this out of basic human decency you are bieng used and not getting payed for your time as is anyone that does his work for him. For someone who went to a "Community College" and knows what hes doing why he is sitting there asking u how to do it? I mean seriously this is one of the hundreds of thousands of reasons not to play to beta. Dont do his work for him what bs. Worst part it is when u tell the jerkoff ideas they say they cant do it LOL.
    Firstly, that's a repost of what Helios posted.  As to your question of why he's asking?  Duh?  If they don't ask for feedback and for others to put forward their ideas then when it comes along out of no where people will NOT be happy.  That wasn't too hard to figure out now was it :)

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

About as hard as it is for you to figure out that SWG is a beta and your paying to test it lol. You still dont get it obraik and never will unlike the 98% rest of us do. So you keep telling them what they want and as helios himself said we cant do that heres this rehashed crap hows that you can enjoy that with pirrg in ther obraik and u 2 can be king of the NPCS with your kotor armor lol. To bad u cant catch on your bieng used and your a tool for SOE i dont supose youll agree they took the ideas people wanted and said no we can do that when helios said so himself huh? I feel sorry for you man

It's been a paid beta since launch. Here we go again, more spin. This is what I am talking about. YOU liked the gameplay before so you were willing to overlook the horrid state the game was in. But now since it's the NGE and you don't approve of it he doesn't get it?

How convenient.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Pre-cu wasnt as bad in comparison. How do you explain that pre-cu had more people and NGE is empty servers? maybe it was horrid to you before but like i said in comparison to nge pre-cu was live far as im concrned it wasnt perfect ill give u that. I wasnt refering to the beta aspect of it as much as i was hes bieng a tool for soe thats the bigger point i was making. Helios own post proves my point you cant disagree there and no he doesnt get it at all that hes bieng used and is a tool. I will agree PRE-cu had issues the difference is pre-cu had small issues to be fixed here and there and NGE has HUGE issues that need to be fixed a lot. So you can get back on your high pedestal there judge.

It's been a paid beta since launch. Here we go again, more spin. This is what I am talking about. YOU liked the gameplay before so you were willing to overlook the horrid state the game was in but now that it's the NGE and you don't approve of it he doesn't get it?

How convenient.

We're sitting in our offices thinking of ways to upset our paying customers. I think were on track to meet that goal.

John Smedley

• haxxjoohaxxjoo Member Posts: 924

It's been a paid beta since launch. Here we go again, more spin. This is what I am talking about. YOU liked the gameplay before so you were willing to overlook the horrid state the game was in but now that it's the NGE and you don't approve of it he doesn't get it?

How convenient.

Even if I agree for the sake of ending the argument.  I am no longer paying to beta test the game.  You are.
  • KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    "Perhaps if we built a large dancing wooden badger ..."

Pre-cu wasnt as bad in comparison. How do you explain that pre-cu had more people and NGE is empty servers? maybe it was horrid to you before but like i said in comparison to nge pre-cu was live far as im concrned it wasnt perfect ill give u that. I wasnt refering to the beta aspect of it as much as i was hes bieng a tool for soe thats the bigger point i was making. Helios own post proves my point you cant disagree there and no he doesnt get it at all that hes bieng used and is a tool. I will agree PRE-cu had issues the difference is pre-cu had small issues to be fixed here and there and NGE has HUGE issues that need to be fixed a lot. So you can get back on your high pedestal there judge.

Umm lets see, I explain more people because it has the Star Wars label and they hadn't screwed everyone over yet? It was in better shape Pre-CU? Oh really? The game launched without space or even vehicles. They spent countless cycles redoing jedi time and time again while entire professions sat waiting to actually be functional. When JTL was annouced everyone bitched and complained about how the game was fundamentally flawed and they were building an expansion ontop of a garbage base, blah blah blah.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Sounds like a bunch of excuses. I think u made my point even more thanks. I never said pre-cu was perfect but in comparison to NGE lol give me a break. As for everything else youve said the NGE is doing all that to so your just make a catch 22 arguement there both the same in that respect with add ons flaws. No matter what and how you say it pre-cu had more players and was overall better if u disagree thats fine.

[quote]Originally posted by Fadeus
    Umm lets see, I explain more people because it has the Star Wars label and they hadn't screwed everyone over yet? It was in better shape Pre-CU? Oh really? The game launched without space or even vehicles. They spent countless cycles redoing jedi time and time again while entire professions sat waiting to actually be functional. When JTP was annouced everyone bitched and complained about how the game was fundamentally flawed and they were building an expansion ontop of a garbage base, blah blah blah.[/b][/quote]

John Smedley

Originally posted by haxxjoo
    Even if I agree for the sake of ending the argument.  I am no longer paying to beta test the game.  You are.

That may be true, but you may still have paid longer since I wouldn't play SWG at launch since LEC signed with SOE to develop it. I lurked the forums constantly but I wouldn't touch it for quite a long time. So maybe I need as long as you before I get as bitter. ;)

- Scaris