Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any mmorpgs have this?

I was playing WoW earlier, wait don't go away.., anyway I came across this area called Screeching canyon and obviously it had harpies in it. As soon I entered I put my sound up, did it have any screeches or anything to give that feel of an area?.. it didn't. So I was wondering has any mmorpg put any sort of environmental sounds in which give a feel to a zone? I could be being stupid here but I can't remember if I've heard any.

Comments

• IdesofMarchIdesofMarch Member Posts: 1,164

Yep.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    that comes from always having my sound off! 

• ImpacatusImpacatus Member Posts: 436
    That was one of the things I liked about Asheron's Call actually.  It made very good use of environmental sounds.  In town, when you walked near a blacksmith you'd hear a hammer and anvil ringing, when near a tavern, you'd hear people talking and laughing.  Out in the wilderness, depending on the area, you'd hear, frogs, crickets, buzzing insects, running water, whatever.  It really helped immersion.

If you're building an mmorpg, or if you'd like to share ideas or talk about this industry, visit Multiplayer Worlds.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

That was one of the things I liked about Asheron's Call actually. It made very good use of environmental sounds. In town, when you walked near a blacksmith you'd hear a hammer and anvil ringing, when near a tavern, you'd hear people talking and laughing. Out in the wilderness, depending on the area, you'd hear, frogs, crickets, buzzing insects, running water, whatever. It really helped immersion.
    Aha this is what I'm meaning and referring to, I can't recall if I've heard that in some of the mmorpgs I've played. I know in WoW you get the mob attacking noise as they fight you but I haven't really heard much else.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,919

Have to agree AC is one of the few exceptions to have this.

Really in this damn age you would think that mmorpg would make sounds more realistic.Take EQ2 its a wonder of graphics(if you got a rig that can see the amazing wonder).You see the player sweat,heat distortions in the desert,player heaving,blinking etc.Then you even have long dialogue that is speech.I love that since i never have to read the text ,here is a quest giver giving me all the details in speech!

But wait i enter a blacksmith house or a tavern and i see people there and the smithie working yet there is no interactive sounds just music.Surely,developers that can do the wonders of EQ2 can add such features.

Good point you bring up we need to see more sound effects to the interactive environment.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Anarchy Online had fastastic environmental sounds and IMHO the best sound track of any MMOG to date. The gameplay isn't for everyone (it's increadibly complex) but the audio, for a 5 year old MMO, had to be heard.

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199
    Ryzom has loads of it.
  • XenusXenus Member Posts: 19

in World of Warcraft, go into the throne room in undercity, music off, sound on, all other sounds down, if i remember correctly, you will hear a very nicely done ghost of the past(arthas killing his father, thus damning his kingdom)