Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW... worst community ever?

just reading the official boards should be enough for most people...

all i see this game attracting are 12 year old, immature, former Starcraft junkie, Blizzard fanboys... half these kids dont even know what a level is let alone that this game is an MMORPG...

and from what i've seen on this game (and dont tell me i dont know anything about it because i know ALOT more then most people who are going to be playing it) its offering nothing new...

the graphics are below par, and the gameplay just seems to be a rehash of other titles...

so what makes so many people want to play this game... HMMM i wonder... thats right.. BRAND NAME!!!...

you might as well just have "Coca~Cola" make an MMO...

if this game was made by any other lesser known company it wouldnt have half as much interest... even if it was made by Blizzard but just used a new random name such as... "Uber l33t mmo" it still wouldnt have as much interest...

the sad thing is that this game is actually going to be as big as it is =_=;;... we all know this game is way too overhyped... i constantly see people putting down other big name games set for release saying "WoW is going to be so much better blah blah blah" and half of these ppl havnt even touched the game... once again proving the only people playing are going to be Blizzard fanboys...

i know this thread is going to change into a giant flame but i really dont care because i know im right... i've been playing MMO's for well over 10 years and i've seen this kind of thing before... look at SWG... it SUCKS! but still tons of people play it... why?... because its star wars thats why...

anyways flame away

--------------------------------------

Comments

• GeistGeist Member Posts: 79

Hi,

I don't know much about the game and from screenshots I can tell you that I agree with you, the graphics are nothing special. Just like a more detailed wc3 engine, but I can also tell you that I'm going to test the game because wc3 is oldschool and I want to see how they made the spells.

Geist

I can't do anything but live my life

"Dumm ist nur der, der Dummes tut" ~ (Forest Gump)

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Well, by your attitude in your post, I must say that you fit in perfectly with the WoW community.

And yes, I agree they are a complete bunch of juvenile 12 year old uneducated whinebags.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332
    I just hope that the monthly fee will push alot of those people away that hang out on Blizzards forums. It that is any indication of the community that will be within the game, then I think the game is in for a hurtin.

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox
    The Blooded

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106
    12 year old star craft junkies? Uhh.....I dont think they were playing the game then whey were around 7....

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by BigPeeler
    (and dont tell me i dont know anything about it because i know ALOT more then most people who are going to be playing it)

That statement makes you no more mature than any of the so-called immature 12-year olds that you seem so offended by.

Never, ever judge a game by its message boards.

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

"12 year old star craft junkies? Uhh.....I dont think they were playing the game then whey were around 7.... "

... i have no clue what that has to do with anything... and aside form that, my little brother is 8 and plays starcraft...

and Ianubusi... im simply saying that i unlike most of the kids im seeing have took the time and read up everything i could on this game... most of the people im seeing dont even know that its an MMORPG let alone what an MMORPG is... but for some reason are calling it the best game ever

--------------------------------------

Originally posted by BigPeeler
    im simply saying that i unlike most of the kids im seeing have took the time and read up everything i could on this game... most of the people im seeing dont even know that its an MMORPG let alone what an MMORPG is... but for some reason are calling it the best game ever

If you want to make the point that the community is filled with rabid fans, even grossly immature children, then you can make that point and make it well. If you want to make the point that the game may be less than many suggest, you can likely make that point and make it well.

But to bridge that to the success of the game is a preposterous notion. Every MMOG I have played, and I've played them as long if not longer than you, has message boards teeming with malcontents and morons. If you judged the game by the boards you would expect absolute drek in the game. But the same people that spew venemous bile, or endless plattitudes of yammering nonsense, somehow become timid, even friendly in the game. The experience is almost absurdly extra-dimensional. There is no relationship, or at best a tenuous and tangential one.

A man is what he does, not what he says. The actions are in the game, the game is within the game. Those that troll outside the game are typically not playing it, for those that are playing it simply do not have time to seek out victims to ensnare on a message board, griping about nonsense and bashing anyone that dares express an opinion.

So what point is there in suggesting that the quality of WoW's boards will reflect upon the quality of the game?

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

Apparently, Blizzard forums lack of any moderation. For more than two hours now, someone is spamming their off-topic board and they have done nothing about it...

I agree about the maturity level of World of Warcraft boards, however I wouldn't go as far as to judge the in-game community of the game, once it is released. Statistically, only a small percentage of customers participates in the official forums. Furthermore, as I said in another thread previously, to post on those boards you are required to have a CD key from another Blizzard game (so, not everyone interested in the game can post there).

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• JdokiJdoki Member Posts: 68

It's been amazing me as well; not so much the hype generated by WoW, but by how many people - who have never touched the game - who are proclaiming it as THE best thing since the dawn of MMORPG's!

Nothing I have read about it makes me thing it'll do anything new or exciting compared to the multitude of games on the market.

It boggles my mind almost as much as all the SWG bashing that goes on...image

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Personnally I would just say this:

- WoW have a support never heard off before releasing even a MMORPG.  EQ2 + UXO + Whatever other game you come around, all combine together dont have half this support.  Just to get you an idea, on an Everquest message board, folks will go to WoW at 80% and only %20 will go to Everquest II.

- I dont think WoW have a bigger ratio of 12 years old kids then any others games, in fact, prolly much less, since Blizzard fans are usually folks for sometimes, most of the inconditionnal WoW supporters I personnally know are 40ish and dont  surf those boards.  But, let say they have 10% of kids instead of 20% of kids like every game, but they have a support that is 5 times bigger then anyone else, it make a lot of kids posts!

- Do not underestimate how much WoW is hyped!  I have friends that swear they would never play a MMORPG that are WAITING for WoW and bugging me about it everyday!  Folks that play this or that game, they come from so many differents roads it is just amazing!  They keep telling me: "Come on, you know you will play with me!  Yeah yeah, yadda yadda yadda, I never play EQ and you keep bugging, now, I will play WoW, close enought to play together?"

WoW is to MMORPG what Star Wars is to Sci-Fi movies!

You will have more jerks in WoW then anywhere else at start, but you will also have more of everything, including the sweetest and nicest players!  If you rather focus on the jerks, this is your choice.  I suggest you ignore them unless they offend you to much and focus with the others nicers folks that are a SWARM!

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• loreofchaosloreofchaos Member Posts: 316

Originally posted by Anofalye

Personnally I would just say this:

- WoW have a support never heard off before releasing even a MMORPG.  EQ2 + UXO + Whatever other game you come around, all combine together dont have half this support.  Just to get you an idea, on an Everquest message board, folks will go to WoW at 80% and only %20 will go to Everquest II.

- I dont think WoW have a bigger ratio of 12 years old kids then any others games, in fact, prolly much less, since Blizzard fans are usually folks for sometimes, most of the inconditionnal WoW supporters I personnally know are 40ish and dont  surf those boards.  But, let say they have 10% of kids instead of 20% of kids like every game, but they have a support that is 5 times bigger then anyone else, it make a lot of kids posts!

- Do not underestimate how much WoW is hyped!  I have friends that swear they would never play a MMORPG that are WAITING for WoW and bugging me about it everyday!  Folks that play this or that game, they come from so many differents roads it is just amazing!  They keep telling me: "Come on, you know you will play with me!  Yeah yeah, yadda yadda yadda, I never play EQ and you keep bugging, now, I will play WoW, close enought to play together?"

WoW is to MMORPG what Star Wars is to Sci-Fi movies!

You will have more jerks in WoW then anywhere else at start, but you will also have more of everything, including the sweetest and nicest players!  If you rather focus on the jerks, this is your choice.  I suggest you ignore them unless they offend you to much and focus with the others nicers folks that are a SWARM!

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

agreed dont mind bigpeeler he thinks l2 is supprior by its graphics witch is crap grahpics are only half the game l2 is one of his best games were i played l2 thew combat was sooo lame i just felt like i could puke all over he disses other games becuase of the fear of one being better than l2 so like i said dont mind him hes rather an annyoing freak of a stupid gameimageimageimageimage

a job of a lorer is to preach the history of chaos with out the lorer of chaos all would be in chaos

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

Originally posted by Gunblade
    I kind of agree with you, but it is mainly people who like warcraft man...however yes it is another generic mmorpg i agree with yah there but blizzard makes it fun. Meaning lvl'ing and everything is fun and cool anyone remember diablo II ?? it was a fun gameplay like a shooter you keep coming back for more. However WoW lost me on the graphics...just to cartoony.

______--}====>_____
    |_105th Panzer Brigade_|

trust me dont sweat the graphics you dont know crap until youve played it example i found knight online to be a better game play than other games and i found other games to be better graphics than ko graphics is but one aspect of the game

a job of a lorer is to preach the history of chaos with out the lorer of chaos all would be in chaos

Take a deep drink of your demon Lad, tonight we tangle with the fire in the gut.

• bum37bum37 Member Posts: 127
    lol, I think you guys arguing over this sound just like the 12 year olds.  Just wait and see what happens, immature people go around hyping about a game they have no idea about.

Originally posted by bum37
    lol, I think you guys arguing over this sound just like the 12 year olds.  Just wait and see what happens, immature people go around hyping about a game they have no idea about.

nawww its just gossip we aint immature (save bigpeeler) we just a bunch of people with alot of freetime ROFLROFLimageimageimage

WoW.....Now why anyone hates the graphics is beyond me, to me, they look immersive, and unique. Different, yes, bad, no.

Gameplay, personally, I hate it, promises nothing new but a cartoony EQ clone, that uses its brand-name to make a game, and most of the original devs that made all those great Blizzard games are long gone, leaving it with nothing but a brand name, and promising nothing new. And worse yet, its named warcraft, with lack thereof.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Majority of WoW followers are single players who would be very new to the mmorpgs scene.Judging from SWG in which also a majority of players are new I say yeah they will be a lot of immature behavaviour.

Problem is like coming to a new environment people don't know how to behave.So rudeness and "me me" is rampant.

• LevenLeven Member Posts: 5
    short and sweet Blizzard: Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft= three kick ass series=blizzard can make some good games which means the odds are in favor on WOW being a good title it's not rocket science

• BKOOLBKOOL Member Posts: 67

I do agree that most of the community waiting for the new Warcraft most likely don't know that it is an mmorpg or know what a mmorpg is.  I'm pretty sure all these people will be pushed away when they figure out that this isn't the same old strategy game.

I do not agree though, that WoW will be a bad game.  In my opinion. taking ideas from other games is not such a bad idea, as long as they are the good ideas.  Also there are a lot of new features, and even though small they may be i think that they will add greatly to the game.  One such feature that interests me is the different languages between the alliance and the horde.  There are several more new minor features like this that add to the overall quality of the game.  What I am saying is that you must look at the whole package of the game and not just the main features.

• SubleakSubleak Member Posts: 9

Kinda upsets me to see posts like this... People (or maybe just a few) seem to take judgement on a game that isn't near completion just because a number of young posters on a widely used b-net forum system.

From what i've read, blizzard has an awesome team of developers that do have years of experience in MMORPS's. They know what people enjoy in games, and have made sure to include them, while fixing problems they disliked with-in other MMORPGs. I'm not going to say WoW isn't going to contain any flaws, ALL video games do. But i'm quite sure the quality of the game will continue as it has with previous Blizzard Games.

Your right about WoW being  a "rehash of other titles" but which isn't? Most MMORPG's continue to rehash and reinovate old ideas of a basic system of gameplay. Why? Because people enjoy it, they enjoy playing games that they can relate with, are easy to learn, but still being hard to master. If you made an MMORPG completely unique... then i personaly dont think you could still call it a MMORPG.

I have trust in Blizzard, knowing if the game wasn't up to par, then they wouldnt release it. So far this game has been in development for over 3 years. They do have the budget to make it completely successful and i feel they will.

Another couple of comments...

Coca-Cola - Makes beverages.

Sony (SWG) - Makes a wide variety of Entertainment products.

Blizzard - Makes Video Games.... Exclusively

Originally posted by Subleak
    From what i've read, blizzard has an awesome team of developers that do have years of experience in MMORPS's.

Please reconsider your statement as follows:

From what i've read, blizzard HAD an awesome team of developers that do have years of experience in MMORPS's.

The majority of the talent that made Blizzard what it was has since moved on.

• RamsieRamsie Member UncommonPosts: 51

What concerns me most about WoW is not the game itself, but the community. I trust in Blizzard to understand good gameplay, they have a decent track record of that. What concerns me most is the community that constantly makes the news with sweeping bannings of 50k players of Blizzard.net.

These cheaters are the ones who are non MMO players, who Blizzard is hoping to add to the ranks. Now granted, im sure they dont want the cheating, but the fanbase without question is a tartget audience.

So how does this make you feel? Are you worried about the WC Battle.net problems happening in WoW? Yes all MMO's have had cheating of some sort, however the focused efforts to cheat at Blizzard games has been(in apprearance) far stronger than any other gaming community, maybe CS heh.

Ramsie

Ya, as somone else said, the good blizzard dev team is long gone. You want a game that the real devs are makeing, look at Guild Wars, alot of the blizzard devs went there. I repeat, WoW is nothing but a brand name to trick a lot of star craft kiddies into buying it, ITS EVIL PROPAGANDA!

Originally posted by Ramsie
    What concerns me most about WoW is not the game itself, but the community. I trust in Blizzard to understand good gameplay, they have a decent track record of that. What concerns me most is the community that constantly makes the news with sweeping bannings of 50k players of Blizzard.net.
    These cheaters are the ones who are non MMO players, who Blizzard is hoping to add to the ranks. Now granted, im sure they dont want the cheating, but the fanbase without question is a tartget audience.
    So how does this make you feel? Are you worried about the WC Battle.net problems happening in WoW? Yes all MMO's have had cheating of some sort, however the focused efforts to cheat at Blizzard games has been(in apprearance) far stronger than any other gaming community, maybe CS heh.

Ramsie

Battle.Net was always a bit of an open playground for hackers as Blizzard never really made any serious attempts to create a truly secure environment. Since it was always free, they were a bit lenient.

Any hint of hacking in WoW will absolutely decimate the game. They cannot afford it, not even a little. Exploits will happen, but anyone being able to access the server and change the nature of the game (true hack) will be the worst possible thing.

I expect the people at Blizzard know this and will not allow it to happen. But considering how Battle.Net is the only exposure they have to multiplayer server architecture, you have to ponder.

• bum37bum37 Member Posts: 127

just a suggestion...

if these things make you guys wonder... just e-mail blizzard, they'll get back to you within a week, they always answered any questions/concerns I had.  I asked what they were going to do with 12 yr olds swearing every sentense on b.net, they said they were gonna be pretty strict with that, even the ones that type it so it sounds similiar can get banned for a day if enough people report it.  Also, the hacking problem, they said the similar thing, b.net is free, so they don't care as much, but they expect the worst and if they catch anyone hacking, their serial number, account, and ips will be banned after 2nd offense(i think, i deleted that e-mail a while ago)

• MrViceMrVice Member Posts: 197

Gentelmen to your corners.  It's time for refery vice to step in.  Let me first start by saying I'm absolutly sick of these kind of posts.  Back off!!!  You want to get down on world of warcraft then get down on it for it's flaws in exacting terms not in harsh genereralits. If there is a feature you don't like, something that seems old then speak up.  Don't just throw your weight around like some arrogant know it all sob.  It's high noon and Ima callin you out.  If you wish to speak ill about wow then speak up, and put your money where you're mouth is.

Now for the other side of this shpeal.  SHut up!  Don't defend WOW is stupid with the counter argument WOW is sweet.  God, I feel like I"m surrounded by imbosals.  I mean I can't spell but at least I can formulate an argument.  Cripes.  When people say that world of warcraft doesn't have pvp or enough war in it to suit there fancy, i would like to see a link to the world of warcraft pvp FAQ.  Which if any of you have read, you would know that wow is offering one hell of a pvp system.  Yeah sure you can't randomly go around kiling people, however interacal fighting has never been what warcraft has been about.  Historicly the Warcraft serres has been hoard vs alliance, so this system makes more sense anyway.

Furthermore, I thought this thread was supposed to be about the World of Warcraft community and not about, world of warcraft ingeneral.  With that in mind I'm going to throw in my two sense on the origianl topic, which has been already stated by someone else more or less, but still I'm going to throw it in anyway.

I agree with the intial post in that wow is going to attract a large group of immature assholes, however comming from FFXI and DAOC this is something I"m already used to.  personaly I don't 'think wow's draw should be considered a bane, but instead a blessing.  As someone has already stated, this game is bringing in people from all walks of life.  People who have never played an mmmorpg are going to pick up this title, and hopefuly, be enthralled.  Bringing in not the usual hardcore gamer, but people just looking to spend a weekend or a couple hours a day sitting in the world of azeroth.  COncintrate on the positives man, and not just the negitives.  Divercity is a wonderful thing.

Oh and while I'm posting I might as well talk about something else thats chapping my &*$.  I'm sick of people complaining about first time mmorpgers.  "Oh my god, we're going to have people who aren't even going to know what a level is, playing this game.  Oh god, they won't even know what proc or add means."  Shut the hell up you elitest bastards.  I don't think you came into your first mmorpg being all knowing.  Everybody has to learn sometime, and while yes it can be frustrating dealing with someone new, it can also be a rewarding experance taking that person under your wing and turning them into a seasond vetrins. I wish the first person you ran into in a mmorpg treated you like you consider these people.  Then maybe we wouldn't have to deal with you posting on this message board.  Show some compassion #&%$ lick!  Personaly I'll take they're virgin optimism to your jaded @$$ anyday of the week.

With with that said I'm outie
    PEACE
    Vice Man image

PS:  This post doesn't pertain to everyone who has posted on this board.  I think those of you to whom it doesn't pertain are smart enough to figure it out, without having to name names.