Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death penalty quetion.

Will there be xp death penalty?

Thanks

Comments

• MaladakMaladak Member Posts: 50

Spellborn's doing something different: They reward you for staying alive.    The longer you stay alive the bigger the bonus you get will be. The bonuses, I believe, are increases to stats and such.  

When you die you lose all those bonuses and that's it.  No Exp hits, No weakened state. Just back to normal you . 

Not sure of links to any of these but I'm sure there are plenty of Spellborn fans that can supply them

--------------------------------------------

When you do something right people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Maladak

Spellborn's doing something different: They reward you for staying alive.    The longer you stay alive the bigger the bonus you get will be. The bonuses, I believe, are increases to stats and such.  
    When you die you lose all those bonuses and that's it.  No Exp hits, No weakened state. Just back to normal you . 

Not sure of links to any of these but I'm sure there are plenty of Spellborn fans that can supply them

Veeery intersting...

Sounds cool, although when released, I bet you'll see many kiddies complaining about losing those stats

• AphexAphex Member Posts: 194

Also, I believe I've read before that some of the quests will fail when you die.

• netnomadnetnomad Member Posts: 9
    You can find out about it a bit more by checking this out:

http://www.tcos.com/en/gameworld/?id=statistics

Look under the PeP system.

-NetNomad

• vivatmavivatma Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Maladak

This has the potential to be the same as a death penalty. I mean, what does it matter that you move forward before you move backward. Unless, every time you log in, you restart the bonus-gaining process. In which another problem arises, what about those people who don't have as much time to play, or those who get kicked off the internet more than others. I do understand that, you will only be able to improve, but the level of improvement will be given to those who have the best in real life (The best Computer, the best internet connection). You will now go, uhh, so, that's no different than any other online game. Well my reply is simply, it should be different.
  • DelphianDelphian Member Posts: 192
    I don't think it's a very good death "penalty"... The players who suck and die frequently will virtually have no penalty for dying and wpn't be afraid to die. This puts a damper on the aspect of competition in PvP for the good players (the bad players will have no fear of 'losing' because they have nothing to lose). I can easily imagine it turning into a zerg-fest, much like you see in WoW (WoW has the worst PvP out of any game I've played IMO).
    I see what you are trying to say, Delphian but you aren't thinking about end-game. Once they reach the point where the bonus no longer really matters they won't mind risking the loss of the bonus. So you're worries are nullified. (Most will wait until they've leveled up completely before PVPing anyway.)

My main concern is.... how to implement a DP or Reward system without unfairly applying it. Some major things to consider are connectivity, and time available for the causal player. But this isn't my game, and I don't know what their goals are.

"The Personal experience Point (PeP) system grants characters bonuses to
    the attributes and states if the character stays alive and gains
    experience in combat." - http://www.tcos.com/en/gameworld/?id=statistics

I see what you're saying.. But I would imagine it a likely possibility that they might make this 'buff' still applicable to level 50 (capacity) characters for PvP purposes.. I guess that's all speculative.

Either way.. No death penalty AT ALL (at level 50) taints the players fear and desire to survive which I think partly ruins competition.

I see more clearly, what you are talking about now. Although, this becomes a major issue. Because most MMORPGs right now are going to use PVP for end-game. Otherwise the player base gets bored very quickly, with more than half just quitting and starting different games. (Which I believe happened more than once in EQ). Without these players whom you think will ruin the pvp, their game makes less money. We will have to wait and see if they have any creative solutions for allowing the dedicated PVPers (who also follow the rules) means of fighting like-minded individuals.

As of right now however, I think only Guild wars comes close (in MMORPGs), however they short-sighted those good players who either can't or don't desire joining a guild.

I agree and understand why it's a decision based on having more subscribers.. It's just a shame for more "hardcore" players to have nothing suit them. I'd like to see TCoS match both player groups 'values'.
  • DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Delphian
    I agree and understand why it's a decision based on having more subscribers.. It's just a shame for more "hardcore" players to have nothing suit them. I'd like to see TCoS match both player groups 'values'.

Vanguard will be having a severe death penalty system...

Maybe that is better suited to your playstyle?

Originally posted by Dabble

Originally posted by Delphian

Vanguard will be having a severe death penalty system...

Maybe that is better suited to your playstyle?

Maybe... The characters look so stupid, though!!
  • PkylanPkylan Member Posts: 43
    quite curious to see how this death penalty system is gonna work. indeed a shame u cant loot ppl... but on the other hand Eve overdid it which really annoyed me.
  • mbbladembblade Member Posts: 747
    huh this is something diff, but can be looked at as being to casual aka to easy, but it all depends on the mobs and how you play it