Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview for University project

Hello, I'm a student at Roskilde University (RUC) in Denmark. I'm currently engaged in a project which revolves around online identity and the psychological processes  which occur when people assume different roles in MMOs. My group also deals with the complex social interaction and the growing talks about online addiction.

If you are interested in participating in a survey and possibly an interview please PM me and I will forward you an email to further facilitate communication. All information is of course 100% strictly confidential and no statements or other information will be published without prior consent.

Comments

• erikeneriken Member Posts: 96
    It's not just online gaming that is a problem, the problem can be just being online. Several of my friends who do not have normal jobs for some reason or another (own business, poker pro, etc) seem to spend most of their time infront of their computer. When for some reason they manage to go outside (ie I force them to see a movie) they really really want to get home ASAP. They seem to have problems (not serious problems) to do things that normal people have to do (clean up, cook, personal hygiene, pay bills, buy food, just do anything that does not involve sitting in front of their damn computer).

I would like to experiment with electrical shocks as a treatment. I dont think it would help, but it could be fun. For me anyway.

• Jade6Jade6 Member Posts: 429

People get addicted to what they enjoy, be it computer games, TV, sports, women, drugs, etc; one way or another, everyone is always addicted to something anyway. We just call some addictions "lifestyles", for some arbitrary reasons.

Eriken, your friends are still alive, and even have jobs, so apparently none of the things you mentioned is a problem for them; you just think they have a problem because you expect them to conform to what one might consider "normal", whereas at least in my view being totally "normal" is itself rather weird.

Some have mentioned marriages breaking up and jobs lost because of online gaming addiction, but I would like to think that what we have there is just another demonstration of the "leapfrog" behaviour characteristic of human nature; one might be bored and just sick and tired of one's marriage or job, but sticks with it because nothing better has turned up so far. Online gaming might do as well as another woman or a job offer.

Originally posted by Jade6

Eriken, your friends are still alive, and even have jobs, so apparently none of the things you mentioned is a problem for them; you just think they have a problem because you expect them to conform to what one might consider "normal", whereas at least in my view being totally "normal" is itself rather weird.

So not a reason for shock treatment?

Originally posted by eriken

No thank you, I'm hopeful that I will be able to manage without.

No thank you, I'm hopeful that I will be able to manage without.

Oh
    And I even bought some used equipment from the prison keepers at Guantanamo Bay
  • XruxXrux Member UncommonPosts: 134

of course my country already has a venter for soem time where peeps are treated for their games addiction ..liek so many drugs centers we have.

yes its a real problem, but also diverse..

manay asian youth that feel have no future lock them sleves up in their rooms for months and years. not coming out , only playing games to kill time.

some (again more asians) play for so manay hours and hours just to get to next level level weapon etc...some until they die behind keyboard (2 cases confirmed)

so teh reasons behind teh addiction is so diverse

good luck with study

Have no fear, Xru is here.

Originally posted by Xrux

manay asian youth that feel have no future lock them sleves up in their rooms for months and years. not coming out , only playing games to kill time.

Many asian youths also kill themselves because they feel that they have no future and have nothing to do either.

Originally posted by Xrux

some (again more asians) play for so manay hours and hours just to get to next level level weapon etc...some until they die behind keyboard (2 cases confirmed)

Wanna try counting how many westerners have died while doing sports? Or just while watching the TV maybe?

Many asian youths also kill themselves because they feel that they have no future and have nothing to do either.

At least the gaming industry wont be blamed for that!

At least the gaming industry wont be blamed for that!

Yes but it shouldn't discourage us from using your electric shock treatment on them, maybe they make better games then. Einstein looked just like he made a habit of sticking his fingers into a power plug and look what he came up with.
  • zipitzipit Member Posts: 487

It's not just online gaming that is a problem, the problem can be just being online. Several of my friends who do not have normal jobs for some reason or another (own business, poker pro, etc) seem to spend most of their time infront of their computer. When for some reason they manage to go outside (ie I force them to see a movie) they really really want to get home ASAP. They seem to have problems (not serious problems) to do things that normal people have to do (clean up, cook, personal hygiene, pay bills, buy food, just do anything that does not involve sitting in front of their damn computer).

I would like to experiment with electrical shocks as a treatment. I dont think it would help, but it could be fun. For me anyway.

It is my understanding that the Chineese government has implemented electro chock therapy as a tool to combat addictiveness over online games.