Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell this to me...

Hi all,

Hopefully without sounding to aragant - why should I play this game?
What are its selling pionts and its shortcomings?
What end game is planned?
Is it point and click movement?

In short what can this game offer over such others as Hero's Journey, Vanguard or any other the countless others out there?

Cheers,

Elias...

Currently Playing: GW2
Currently Following: Elder Scrolls Online
Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

Comments

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Originally posted by vmoped

www.tcos.com

Why don't you go  and fish yourself.

Anybody else with hands-on experiance can give us "general" overview of the promised features, simple I like it and I don't like it will do so there are no EULA problems - avoid details.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I already skimmed there - thanks though.

What I was "fishing" for was a quick guide that cuts through the sales spiel and opinions - in addition I was trying to get a feel for the community, I've found that if I ask a question such as the one I asked in good natured communities someone will usually post a quick guide and be generally useful.  In bad communities a stream of RTFM style responses flow forth.

Games in my wake: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Asheron’s Call, Asheron’s Call 2, City of Heroes, Dark Age of Camelot (SI to Catacombs), DDO, EVE Online, EverQuest II (beta), Guild Wars, Horizons, Lineage II,LORTO, Rift, RF Online (beta), RYL, Saga of Ryzon, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Vanguard, WAR, WoW

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I can try, sometimes I think alot of this can be really subjective, one person can really dig a feature that another thinks is completely inane but anyways, let's see what I can come up with.

- A game that revolves around a story, not a story that revolves around a game.

- Finally truely original, meaningful, enjoyable quests/story completion lines that are a far peice better then even most single player games. When I say original think things like, time travel, group interaction, history changing events, world defining type of things.

- A really great cross between a LVL/Skill set up for character progression

- Quite possibly the deepest character creation tool ever included in any MMO, think of putting SWG together with CoH/CoH, a clothing style somewhere along the lines of MxO and doublt all of that put together and you have an idea of what to expect.

- Here's a real big twist... combat thats' actually... wait for it... fun!

- The entire game is NOT based around getting 50 friends together just so one of you get's a shot at getting the magical uber sword of crazy goodness.

- Shards !

- If your into it, shard control pvp that actually stands for something and will make a difference in the game world real time.

- If you want a general feel of the game, think somewhere along the lines of Fable, meets Oddworld, meets a sci-fi something that eventually meets with some very classic rpg elements.

I don't know if that clears anything up for you or not, there's really so much that could be said, but maybe it's a start to get you interested.

As a side note, there's a really amazing IRC group that can be found to start with on the official forums and the community there is probably the best I've experienced since the early days of SWG beta times. I'm sure they would be happy talking to you more about the game they love.

• EliasThorneEliasThorne Member UncommonPosts: 338
    Thats great, thanks shae - I'll check the forums out, cheers :D

Originally posted by EliasThorne
    Thats great, thanks shae - I'll check the forums out, cheers :D

My pleasure =). As a side note, just to be fair, I think it's quite obvious that I'm pretty biased towards the game as I'm really looking forward to it hitting the MMO industry by storm.

But I did try to keep the facts on my "sell", unfortunately reading it again it comes off very flowery so please take it with a grain of salt and make the final decision yourself of course. Either way, if your a gamer and look forward to a time when MMO's can be considered fun games again and not a second job, I think you might be very happy with the directo TCoS is going.

Enjoy and don't hesitate to ask questions.

• AphexAphex Member Posts: 194

- The entire game is based around getting 50 friends together just so one of you get's a shot at getting the magical uber sword of crazy goodness.

You forgot a not here ::::19::

I'd recommend reading these things as well:

http://tcos.com/gameworld/?id=skillsystem
    http://tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=4659
    http://tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=6186

Edit: The game is going to offer an amazing amount of customization, since equipment in the game will not have stats at all, there are a lot of different equipment slots (you basically have a layer of clothing with a layer of armor over it, both gauntlets and shoulder pieces don't have to be the same at the left and right side) and every single piece of equipment you see on any character in the game is obtainable.

• vivatmavivatma Member Posts: 15
    Aphex wrote:

<quote>Edit: The game is going to offer an amazing amount of customization,
    since equipment in the game will not have stats at all, there are a lot
    of different equipment slots (you basically have a layer of clothing
    with a layer of armor over it, both gauntlets and shoulder pieces don't
    have to be the same at the left and right side) and every single piece
    of equipment you see on any character in the game is obtainable.</quote>

This is somewhat disenchanting to hear. It sounds like an attempt to move away from being called a gear-driven game. In which they make all the garb merely visuals. This is, in my opinion, going in the opposite direction. I'd like games that are using real physics. ANYWAY, I hope this game is able to balance it out with the combat system.

Originally posted by Aphex

- The entire game is based around getting 50 friends together just so one of you get's a shot at getting the magical uber sword of crazy goodness.
    You forgot a not here ::::19::
    I'd recommend reading these things as well:
    http://tcos.com/gameworld/?id=skillsystem
    http://tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=4659
    http://tcos.com/sbforum/viewtopic.php?t=6186
    Edit: The game is going to offer an amazing amount of customization, since equipment in the game will not have stats at all, there are a lot of different equipment slots (you basically have a layer of clothing with a layer of armor over it, both gauntlets and shoulder pieces don't have to be the same at the left and right side) and every single piece of equipment you see on any character in the game is obtainable.

Ouch ! Good catch there, edited and fixxed, thanks for the heads up.