Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Move over EQ

DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Originally posted by Zizywa

EQ still has the biggest playerbase of them all.
460.000 players ;)
Everytime new MMORPG's are release there are posts about "oh no [insert UO/EQ/DAoC] are doomed.
Well I played UO since 5 years and nope, it's still not dead. And nope EQ wont die when SWG is released ;)
EQ: Milenax - 55 Wood Elf Druid
UO: Milena - GM Mage/Alchemist

im not saying eqs going to die or anything, but it doesnt come close to the largest playerbase.  Lineage has around 4million subscribers.

Comments

• Originally posted by Unknown

Hi all,
    EQ is dead. It was once the greatest but rival games such as DaOc and the upcomming gods of EQ2 and star was galaxies are beyond our dreams
    goodbye old friend... ::L^(::
    --------------------------------------
    the two eyes of the skull

With a name like 'Unknown' aka an annonyomous (sp).....

everyone ignore this post. Don't fall for this flame bait of his.

Don't start comparing EQ to SWG and EQ2 and DAoC.

EQ stands on its own, and has already stood on its own.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

• bluclovrbluclovr Member CommonPosts: 7
    For all those poeple that said SWG or FF would kill anything look again. FF is dieing a slow death and SWG has more complaints than it does players... I for one look forward to eq2 and I will love it when the new AC expansion comes out. DONT even mention AC2.. If EQ2 turns out as bad as AC2 duid there will be alot of problems in the MMORPG world..

BluClovr

BluClovr

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

I started playing EQ over 2 years ago and the game may not have overwhelming graphics but it doesnt leave u to do the same thing over and over again. I quite Everquest because of the LDoN expansion because it made it repeatative just like SWG,FF,PS but now that they are coming out with the new expansion i belive they are trying to fix what they have done. But saying that SWG is better than EQ? I played SWG for 3 weeks and got sick and tired of doing missions over and over to lvl up. There are no quests to obtain treasures like in EQ. In SWG you do missins, get money, buy stuff, do more missions. EQ will go on living and EQ2 will just be a continuation of the already great game.

Playing: Vanguard SoH
    Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

• twiztidgrrltwiztidgrrl Member Posts: 1

You think EQ is dead?  That the graphics are archaic?

Has anybody logged into Diablo II:LOD lately??  I feel like I'm playing the N64 after playing EQ for a while now.  (Yet, *sighs*, I still log onto D2.  Hehehe don't ask me why...)

All I gotta say about EQ is that it's a great open-ended game.  You can basically do what you want on there.  =)

•  EQ = Best game when it came out. Still a nice classic game right now.

AC = Nice game when it came out. Still a nice classic game.

DAoC = Nice potiential when it came out. Nice PvE game right now. Has PvP done WRONG. This alone is why it never "killed EQ".

SWG = Still going through its growing pains. Is not even 1 year old yet LOL! Keep the wanna-be bashing down! Is already a successfull MMORPG with over 300,000 accounts a close second to EQ.

It's also a Sci-Fi MMORPG, thus never directly compeated vs EQ, or vs EQ2 in the first place. image

Last, SWG right now, as of Dec 2003 to Feb 2004, is a very enjoyable, fun, playable, MMORPG!

SWG: SONY ruling the Sci-Fi MMORPG market as well as most of the Skill Based MMORPG market.

EQ and EQ2: SONY ruling the Tolkien-themed MMORPG market as well as the Level Based MMORPG market.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425

if you have played SWG less than a month, just give it time...it will get old.

Playing: Vanguard SoH
    Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

• Y0lkixY0lkix Member Posts: 51
    Everquest is great, ive been playing for 2 months now. This was my first MMORPG (getting FF XI today though). EQ its really easy to find groups, just last night we were in this big group off like almost 10 ppl, it was a blast. Its not that hard nore that easy to lvl, it seems to have great balence there. Grpahics are fine, there passable and thats fine when it so good at everything else. I got a lvl 7 ranger and a lvl 6 druid. I like the ranger best but the Druid can use come cool spells. I already have over 10 ppl on my friends list. Bassicly cheers to EQ!imageimage

• GundamitGundamit Member Posts: 268
    Hurd EQ has gottin alot better feel to it when they add the new spell effects so I'm sure they will get 2-3 more years out of it.

image image

• ChronicRickChronicRick Member Posts: 569
    image Bah. New gamers to mmorpgs arent gonna play an old game like EQ. And once EQ2 comes out alot might move to it from the original. But what do I know.image

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*Does not play well with others*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• silverbladesilverblade Member Posts: 52
    I for one wont be in too much of a hurry to move away from EQ.  Yes I was looking forward to EQ2, but I was also looking forward to a lot of others that have come and disappointed.  DAoC, had huge potential... remember waiting for ages while it was on pre-order and then waiting for it to be shipped to OZ.  Within days disappointed.  Then, SWG... waited for ages, eventually got a little gun shy and didn't jump on board.. lucky, I missed a bullet there.  There are a number of other MMORPGs that I have waited for release anxiously, only to be disappointed.  Guess what, the only current account I still have in my old EQ account.  Thats why I don't think it will die out too soon!

• ramadinramadin Member Posts: 1,304

All the other MMORPG's have one thing in common, they are EQ clones.  And clones can never be as good as the original.  Until they come out with something groundbreaking EQ will be GOD.  (Or until EQ2 hehe)

"When you're in prison, dont be no ones bitch, its bad for you..."

The Offspring

-----------------Censored------------------

• Originally posted by ramadin

All the other MMORPG's have one thing in common, they are EQ clones.  And clones can never be as good as the original.  Until they come out with something groundbreaking EQ will be GOD.  (Or until EQ2 hehe)

The Offspring

Not true.

Can you say Ultima Online ?

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well...

EQ is doing pretty well for it age.  In the MMORPG 5 years is like 150 years old for a human beeing!  And they are still running for the first place at every moment.

Most MMORPGs that currently exist have taken into account what EQ was and adapt to it, they are not clones.  DAoC have a HUGE amount of their features based on EQ frustrations for exemple.  A clone would be very similar, a EQ player and a DAoC player that LOVE their game rarely love the other much, while in a case of a clone, they should.

EQ expension take into account current MMORPGs and adapt as well.

You know, I am waiting for EQ2 to be closer to buy a new computer...well, maybe I will buy for UXO or WoW althought if either come before...

I am not even sure EQ2 will kill EQ, so EQ is far from dead! :)  But EQ2 will close many servers(meging) for sure on plain old EQ, yet...I am pretty sure plain old EQ will still be doing better then many majors MMORPG.

Not taking EQ into account would be like ignoring Windows and doing a system to run your computer, I mean, yes, Windows is evil and full of bugs, it is still the reference.  And dont you go tell Linux folks that they are clones of Windows you wont get out alive! :)  Yet, even Linux adapt some stuff based on Windows success...

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Well, I stand corrected.  DaoC and FFXI and games like that have been continually called EQ clones.  Not by me, by PC game reviewers.  I have played DaoC and there are waaaaay too many things in it that are a carbon copy rip off from EQ.  Since EQ was around when DaoC came out, DaoC = cloned.

The Offspring

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well, those reviewers would prolly see Canada as a mere province of the USA as well.

Some folks like to do shortcuts.

DAoC is most certainly inspired by EQ, but I would not say they are a clone, I personnally stand a HEAVY dislike of the PvP enforcing game, and I am among the faithfull EQ believers.  Inspiration and cloning is far from the same.  If you would have to do a review on DAoC and just know EQ, I would say you can just say in 1 quick sentence they do the opposite when you dont know on a precise topic and you would prolly be right.  At least say anti-clone if you need to use clone in the terms!

Whitewolf world is inspired by Ann Rice novels, but it is not a clone of her world by no mean.   If DAoC is a clone of EQ, then all current RPG games are clones of D&D...which is not the case, but every RPG was inspired by D&D (except maybe Warhammer).

- "Coercing? No no, I assure you, they are willing to bring my bags and pay public transportation just to help me, it is true!''

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Well I guess thats your opinion, tell that to all the game reviewers who call the game an EQ clone.  The fact is there really wasnt much of anything like EQ at all when EQ came out, the fact that games came out after it that have alot of similar features isnt just coincidence.  Obviously they arent going to take EXACT features from EQ or there might be lawsuits.  But maybe clone is too strong a word (and seems to offend you lol) but give another word that means very similar with slight differences and I'll use that.  (EQ cant be a clone of D&D by the way seeing as how the original was on paper, only some ideas were taken.)

The Offspring

Well I guess thats your opinion, tell that to all the game reviewers who call the game an EQ clone.  The fact is there really wasnt much of anything like EQ at all when EQ came out, the fact that games came out after it that have alot of similar features isnt just coincidence.  Obviously they arent going to take EXACT features from EQ or there might be lawsuits.  But maybe clone is too strong a word (and seems to offend you lol) but give another word that means very similar with slight differences and I'll use that.  (EQ cant be a clone of D&D by the way seeing as how the original was on paper, only some ideas were taken.)

The Offspring

Slooow down. This has been gone over at the official EQ forums, and at other game sites.

EQ did nothing original or ground breaking. 3D graphics? Asheron's Call had it first, but got released after EQ. (Oct 2003 Issue of CGW with the cover story on AC2. As well as a multi page spread about the history behind every major MMORPG.)

EQ is an exact, carbon copy clone of JRR Tolkien's Middle-Earth. EQ copied from D&D. In fact Smeadly played D&D and had a world named Norrath in D&D. D&D got it's ideas from Tolkien.

Games before EQ had everything EQ had when it game out. Ever hear of Ultima Online? Dragon Realms? The Realm? Meridian 59?

EQ's semi-strong claim to fame is officially/unofficially being the first with 3D graphics.

-> EQ also further popularized MMORPGs.<- The hardcore EQ fans who have gone over this on the offcial EQ forums, and at other game sites also bring up one other thing EQ definatly did that no other did -

It's implimentation. The way EQ was planned, got investment money, programmed, marketed, sold, hyped, and released. It's implimentation was done the way Varant/SONY did it like no other company ever did. This part of EQ is being copied, and built on.

What game reviewers have called other games "EQ clones?" I want names gosh-darnet! image

Seriously, you should go  by what  what vet players of EQ and other games say intead of what game reviewers say. For one thing game reviewers 90% of the time get to review an Alpha or Beta of a game. They don't play the game. And they very rarely come back to a game 6 months, or 1 year after release to see how it is.

DAoC for example has many elements of EQ in it. But it has just as many elements that are not in EQ. Realm vs Realm PvP. The FACT that the intended endgame is 10,000 times different from the intended endgame of EQ. And more....

Did you know many game reviewers called SWG "EQ in space"? Nothing could be 10,000 times far from the real truth.

EQ is a nice game. EQ is a classic game. I recommend everyone check out EQ even if they don't like it - just to experience it. The same way as driving a 1970 car that doesn't have power steering, drum breaks, no computer, and a carberator. Just to experience it. (Heck for players who don't like it, it will give them an even greater appreciation for the game they do like. image )

Will EQ die? No. It has too many core fans. Will EQ ever grow larger? I doubt it, especially with EQ2 around the corner.

BTW, EQ has a solid 400,000 accounts. UO has a solid 350,000 accounts. UO came out long before EQ. Is EQ a "clone of UO"? imageimageimage

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

Wait arent you the same guy who said you could play EQ for years and only go to 4 zones?  I dont think I need to say anything else.

The Offspring

• HemKhanHemKhan Member Posts: 231
    Look its ramadin.........he thinks EQ is GOD and nothing will ever beat it and he seems to think anything that does any good out there is an EQ clone, haha.

Outkast Studios
    Mystic Online Community Forums

Not true, FFXI is considered an EQ clone... but it is garbage.  I really dont see how its anything like EQ.

The Offspring

Wait arent you the same guy who said you could play EQ for years and only go to 4 zones?  I dont think I need to say anything else.

The Offspring

Seems like you are terrified of responding to my post, and so you bring up something I posted in an entirely different forum in an effort to go offtrack here in this thread.........
    I said SOME players play EQ and never make an effort to really play EQ aka they only visit roughly 4 zones and that's it. While other players play EQ and really play it aka they make an effort to check out the ENTIRE game. And I said this on a completly different forum, in a completly different thread which has nothing to do with this here thread or the immediate subject of this here thread.

Back to the immediate subject. You are 100% incorrect saying every MMORPG out is an EQ clone. UO came out long before EQ. So did The Realm, DragonRealms, and Mereidian 59. Going by what you say (which you say you are saying because you heard/read/saw OTHER game reviewers say it) then EQ is a clone of UO, TRO, M59, and DR.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

• HemKhanHemKhan Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by ramadin

Not true, FFXI is considered an EQ clone... but it is garbage.  I really dont see how its anything like EQ.

The Offspring

Considered an EQ clone? er I dont think so.

Outkast Studios
    Mystic Online Community Forums

• Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

some people overthink/do this so nicely....image

wonder how many ppl who are playing eq will leave for eq2.....

• FuzzydevilFuzzydevil Member Posts: 22

Ineed you are wrong ::::27::::::27::::::27::::::27::::::27::::::27::::::27::::::27::

"Is it better to know everything about nothing then nothing about everything ?" -Me

"Is it better to know everything about nothing then nothing about everything ?" -Me

• Originally posted by Fuzzydevil

Knowing everything about Nothing = knowing nothing.

Knowing nothing about everything = knowing nothing.

The quote/signature/saying of yours doesn't make sense. image Either way it means the person simply knows nothing. imageimage