Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2: great game, boring world

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

After I quit EQ2 a short time ago, it's a desire to write some small echo. While EQ2 surely has the best graphics, and a very good combat system, I never got rid of the feeling that EQ2 is quite a dead world. I dunno, I played WOW and SWG a long time, and it never felt dead like EQ2. I had those pubs/cantinas full with players roleplaying, the buzzing life in some cities and all. In EQ2 poeple come to Qeynos or Freeport to buy/sell and then rush out.

I really loathe the fact that its all zones with teleport! The feeling of the vast WOW realms which you can just travel, with the many small villages and the big cities makes WOW feel so alive, and the same counted for SWG for a very long time. (Servers are filling now again I think.) But in EQ2... you buy/sell and run to the next quest.

Another thing is: I played MANY MMOs, but I have never seen so uber complicated quests. All quests above level 40 or so contain dozens of very special and particular steps. The result is, while I can log into WOW or SWG or CoH any time and get a group for some of my quests, questing in EQ2 was WORK, needing weeks or even months of planning, dating and finding people to go through all the stages. My ideal Online Gaming should be like one of those old D&D meetings: you meet and run into an adventure. Plain and simple. While the devs of EQ2 really tried to make a good game, the questing got overly complicated with the last two addons, especially the last was my reason to quit, when my guild was staring to make monthly shedules to make our quests. :/

I know, its more a feeling than a logical observation, but for said reasons I never felt EQ2 was a living, breathing world.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715
    I agree with the whole 'dead world' idea.

Almost every game has a place where players just meet and talk.

EQ2 doesn't have that. The only 'community' is on the message boards, and those are empty half the time.

• Peregrine2Peregrine2 Member Posts: 169

Well probably this is just on the RP servers and not elsewhere, but I've found a ton of tavern events on Antonia Bayle, in Freeport people have designated a particular tavern for RP and I see people in there all the time, talking and roleplaying. A lot of the community is you get out what you put in. I'm not defending the game totally of course, I have felt that some parts of the game are rather bland, I think it's a big mistake to make three out of the first four starting zones (Antonica, Commonlands, Thundering Steppes) just basically big boring plains with a few mountains and whatever. I'm in my 40s now and I'm finally hitting cool jungles and icy plains, the melting heat of Lavastorm, and thinking, wow, these are the cool zones I've been missing! I loved the variety of zones in the original EQ (and also WoW has a lot) so that's definitely the thing I'd like more. That said, I'm still having fun, there's a ton of RP going on, and the game seems to be getting more interesting.

Also, I like the complicated quests, I think that's what separates the Everquest series from other games, I get tired of quests that are too short and aren't interesting.

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

I agree too.

Towns should be places to meet and talk, with EQ2 it's over the chat : People never meet and talk, just run past eachother.

Plus the world is all zoned and doesn't really have a nice feel to it

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• fawdfawd Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by Elikal

After I quit EQ2 a short time ago, it's a desire to write some small echo. While EQ2 surely has the best graphics, and a very good combat system, I never got rid of the feeling that EQ2 is quite a dead world. I dunno, I played WOW and SWG a long time, and it never felt dead like EQ2. I had those pubs/cantinas full with players roleplaying, the buzzing life in some cities and all. In EQ2 poeple come to Qeynos or Freeport to buy/sell and then rush out.
    I really loathe the fact that its all zones with teleport! The feeling of the vast WOW realms which you can just travel, with the many small villages and the big cities makes WOW feel so alive, and the same counted for SWG for a very long time. (Servers are filling now again I think.) But in EQ2... you buy/sell and run to the next quest.
    Another thing is: I played MANY MMOs, but I have never seen so uber complicated quests. All quests above level 40 or so contain dozens of very special and particular steps. The result is, while I can log into WOW or SWG or CoH any time and get a group for some of my quests, questing in EQ2 was WORK, needing weeks or even months of planning, dating and finding people to go through all the stages. My ideal Online Gaming should be like one of those old D&D meetings: you meet and run into an adventure. Plain and simple. While the devs of EQ2 really tried to make a good game, the questing got overly complicated with the last two addons, especially the last was my reason to quit, when my guild was staring to make monthly shedules to make our quests. :/
    I know, its more a feeling than a logical observation, but for said reasons I never felt EQ2 was a living, breathing world.

Very intelligent post and I totally agree.  The game definately lacks the social side of things that are so common in SWG/EQ1 and many other MMORPGs.  

I hope this will change with the implementation of some sort of Guild Hall and/or Bazaar type of idea.  All the game needs in this aspect is a common meeting ground where people can spam, set up their own broker/vendors or just plain sit and talk or meet with guild members. 

• bouncingsoulbouncingsoul Member Posts: 211
    they need to remove the excessive number of Brokers in the cities down to 1 or 2 so players can meet up easier and know where to find people.  The game is way too focused on getting something done "your way" , what with the fact that you can go to your house, totally isolated, and buy from the Auction. (which I'm sure tons of ppl love, but it takes away from the community).

• BlackWhysperBlackWhysper Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by Elikal

I 100% agree with this, I
  • FitzleFitzle Member Posts: 46
    I'm not gonna  bash EQ2 either, but I have to admit, this was a big issue for me when I played it. I never played a MMO where I felt so alone all the time. I spent a lot of time in Freeport and you would only see people running past you and even that was kind of uncommon. It was an eerie feeling to have the world focused around these two major factions of Freeport and Qeynos and feel like I was one of like, 5 people living there.
  • zandwarfzandwarf Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by bouncingsoul 
    what with the fact that you can go to your house, totally isolated, and buy from the Auction. 

Correct me if im wrong, but I do not believe you have ever been able to buy from the brokers / auction while in your house.  You have always been able to view whats on the market from your merchant board, and even list things for sell or change prices...but you have never been able to buy things.
  • TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    Yeah i get the same feeling, When i started to play i wonderd where all the people were, In Qeynos It just felt kinda dead, and when i first started playing i really wonderd where everyone was.

Its like 10 loading zones in 1 city, thats to much :P

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• sbowlingsbowling Member Posts: 37

"While EQ2 surely has the best graphics, "

I completely disagree with this. EQ2 is the only gmae I've ever played that looks worse when you enable all the whiz bang features. C'mon, do you really like that cray 100% reflective white armour? It looks like it's been wrapped in tin foil. Not only are the graphics bad, but the entire game reeks of a lack of knowldge or care when it came to puttin it together. There are way too many polygons in the charactersand buildings and the animation is just crap. I think thei si the only game I've seemn where a character will continue a drinking motion when he has turned his head, so now he's poring his drin in his ear. Just plain sloppy. How about when they gave everyone that annoying flu and the characters all used the same animation , so when someone would hug them selves they would push their happer through their face, or the females would pushe their arms through their breasts. They should be ashamed of themselves for the level of crap left in theis game.

Oh, and to hear them complain about how difficult it would be to create new armor for the characters just shows how poorly it was designed. creating new armour for the characters should be brain dead easy. I know, because I do 3d graphics for a living and this stuff is pretty easy to do when you have it planned out from the begining.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    No, The graphics is acctualy good, and the gameworld looks good. Then i guess your comp is 12 years old.

Originally posted by sbowling

"While EQ2 surely has the best graphics, "

I completely disagree with this. EQ2 is the only gmae I've ever played that looks worse when you enable all the whiz bang features. C'mon, do you really like that cray 100% reflective white armour? It looks like it's been wrapped in tin foil. Not only are the graphics bad, but the entire game reeks of a lack of knowldge or care when it came to puttin it together. There are way too many polygons in the charactersand buildings and the animation is just crap. I think thei si the only game I've seemn where a character will continue a drinking motion when he has turned his head, so now he's poring his drin in his ear. Just plain sloppy. How about when they gave everyone that annoying flu and the characters all used the same animation , so when someone would hug them selves they would push their happer through their face, or the females would pushe their arms through their breasts. They should be ashamed of themselves for the level of crap left in theis game.
    Oh, and to hear them complain about how difficult it would be to create new armor for the characters just shows how poorly it was designed. creating new armour for the characters should be brain dead easy. I know, because I do 3d graphics for a living and this stuff is pretty easy to do when you have it planned out from the begining.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• TeleboasTeleboas Member UncommonPosts: 184

I just returned to the game after quitting about 6 months after release.  I really enjoy the game, but I'm so tired of soloing everything.  I can leave my LFG flag up ALL day long, and not get one invite to a group.  It's frustrating.

What I wish they would do, is add in a LFG/LFM system like DDO has.  DDO had alot of faults, but I love their grouping system in that game.

• combatmedic1combatmedic1 Member Posts: 65
    I'll admit if your not in a guild grouping is hard, this also depends on the server too. Some communities on the servers are more friendlier then others. AB server is a example of this Freeport had more Rpers and more helpful then qeynos side, but that just my thought on that...... they do need to revamp the cities a little bit though

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I agree EQ2 lacks a gathering spot like SWG or WoW.Now question is you ever played a raid you will have to tune your graphics down no matter what your system might be.So imagine a huge gathering place like ogrimaar in WoW ,we have people crashing left and right.

It be so bad people will moan and rush in and out and dread coming near it.the graphics of this game alone dictates that having 100+ in close range is a big no no.Those on lower end system will lag out on lowest setting.Those who spent loads of $$$ for good setting will be forced to adjust setting just entering the area.

• bouncingsoulbouncingsoul Member Posts: 211

Originally posted by zandwarf

Originally posted by bouncingsoul 
    what with the fact that you can go to your house, totally isolated, and buy from the Auction. 
    Correct me if im wrong, but I do not believe you have ever been able to buy from the brokers / auction while in your house.  You have always been able to view whats on the market from your merchant board, and even list things for sell or change prices...but you have never been able to buy things.

I stand corrected. You indeed cannot :P
  • Peregrine2Peregrine2 Member Posts: 169
    In terms of looking for groups, it may depend on the server. I play on Antonia Bayle which I've heard is one of the more crowded servers, and haven't had too much trouble with groups, it's all about advertising yourself on your level range channel, more than the LFG flag, though it helps. 

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507
    I had a similliar problem in WoW...I just couldnt shake the 'amusement park' feeling...the only emersion breaking thing for me in EQ2 is the whole book/pen thing.
  • YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I had a similar experience with EQ II.  I suppose i must have choesn the crappy server, becuase the lowbie areas were just a ghost town.  After the newbie island, I would almost never see anyone.  And just as the OP described, even if i did see somone they were usually running past me in the city.   The economy on my server also bit, at least for lowbie gear.   You pretty much had to craft everything yourself if you wanted decent gear.

As far as graphics, I liked some things.  The spell effects were generally good, the design of some of the races was nice (ratonga and erudites were quite cool), and I liked all the inane attention to detail in certain aspects of the design.  Go around looking at plates and goblets in different areas for example.  Overall, however, the game had a pretty bland look.

One area where the game really fell on it's face, imo, was the graphics engine  itself.  There should be an international law passed that says SOE can no longer develop their own graphics engines.  The half life II engine looks and runs better on nearly any PC than the absolutley horrid engine that is used for EQ II and SWG.  Ultima IX proved that coding an engine for "PCs of the future" does not work.  I guess somone at SOE didn't get the memo.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• muzzah2004muzzah2004 Member Posts: 64
    I agree, it was nice when the game was fresh and all the loyal fans stayed away from WoW for the most part, but as sony's apathy to many problems continued they slowly lost players to WoW.  I tried to make my comeback to EQ2 but could never find anyone to group with, or if I did, they would disband about 15 minutes later and say they would be back on in 6 hours.  Since I wasnt the max level yet it was hard to find anyone to group with and they expected people to pay for a transfer to a populated server.

Last I checked they merged a lot of servers, but I have yet to check it out since I havnt bought any of the expansions and kinda dont want to spend all the money on them.

• thirkdthirkd Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I think the difference is the world/player dynamic in EQ2 compared to both WOW and EQ1 is that you can't get buffs from other players and the go do something with them on.  There is no real reson in EQ2 to interact with players outside your guild/group e.g. you dont need to find rogues to unlock boxes as you do in WOW etc,  even selling does not gather all players together in the same place as the bazaar and aution house do in EQ and WoW.

As for how empty the game is, well on splitpaw I have not really had trouble finding groups since I started in Feb.  The problem is not often finding a group but finding a group that is not full of muppets :-) but thats a common cross game problem.

Krankel - 58 Defiler

• iHatePantsiHatePants Member Posts: 33

I agree with most that's been said. When I was playing EQ2 I really loved it. But I couldn't get over how dead Freeport and the Commonlands were. I was really dissapointed by this.

The devs need to add something into the cities to make them worth visiting. Like making the Pubs and bars worth stopping at. Or as soemone said earlier, reducing the number of NPC vendors. 

This game really needs more players. Hopefully EoF will accomplish that. But at the same time EoF will make the world bigger and therefore cause the playerbase to thin out even more. :/

A bigger playerbase alone would make this game more enjoyable. I'm not really interested in joining a guild. But I still want to be able to group.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

I think for the most part people stay away from the cities is because its a memory hog magnet. 

Think about it. If you want to hit a tavern and party a little, you have to zone about 4 or 5 times (that's just inside the city) or make the decision to take a shortcut in the sewers to avoid the constant zoning times.

Then when you get in the area you wish to be, you realize that Qeynos Harbor is like a fly in tar when it comes to memory resources and lag.

After about an hour of fraternizing, you have to reboot your computer so that you can go out and adventure with decent FPS because EQ2 has an admitted permanent memory loss that can only be corrected by a system reboot.

That's why no one's in the city.  I loathe when I have to go back to visit the broker or to craft.  I hate it with a passion.  There are times when I go weeks without ever setting foot near any city.

Most of us just really hate the lag that incorporates the city. It's not a computer issue (my computer is very uptodate) rather it's a shoddy coding issue.

That's my two cents anyways

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

This feel of emptiness is the problem I had and do have with Everquest 2. In fact this was the major problem I had with Asheron's Call 2. While EQ2 is clearly fairing better they both end up as bland worlds that try to be lively but tend to fail because there is a problem with how the community is setup. It isn't even the fault of the players I feel but more due to the actual design of the game and EQ1 now suffers greatly of this. EQ1 and EQ2 both spread out players far to much. They keep making these worlds bigger and while that is great, especailly if you have the population it's a double edge sword in that you keep players further and further away from each other and supposed gathering areas.

I know they get compared to much but look at World of Warcraft's Stormwind and and Qeynos. Graphics aside, Stormwind is clearly more alive due the players in the city (reasons why they come back to it are various, even if they are just passing through), and the npcs walking through the city. It's the only game where there are actually children running the streets alone or with parents. Where npcs have patterns they go through (shop, visit other npcs, etc). If feels like a real city and for all the time and design that went into Freeport and Qeynos they don't even have that.

The capital cities in Dark Age of Camelot from what I remember were always packed with peopel because there were only things you could get from there and it was a hub of transportation between certain areas, which is what World of Warcraft cities are. Same for Anarchy Online cities from what I remember and even Final Fantasy XI for it's horrible design has gotten this. Things like this go along way I feel.

True though that the graphics engine and city lag don't help things either.

Personally I feel with instancing one does not need to have an insanely large world and zones don't need to be really big. Unless it's one zone and everything is dropped into it. Sure you can go for that realistic factor but there is a limit I think. For example is there any real reason why both Commonlands and Antonica had to be as big as they are? Same goes for Thundering Steppes and NeK? Don't know about the other areas since I've never been able to push myself that far or gotten groups in timely fashion (was on Crushbone).

• epitaxialepitaxial Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Effect
    I know they get compared to much but look at World of Warcraft's Stormwind and and Qeynos. Graphics aside, Stormwind is clearly more alive due the players in the city (reasons why they come back to it are various, even if they are just passing through), and the npcs walking through the city. It's the only game where there are actually children running the streets alone or with parents. Where npcs have patterns they go through (shop, visit other npcs, etc). If feels like a real city and for all the time and design that went into Freeport and Qeynos they don't even have that.
    The capital cities in Dark Age of Camelot from what I remember were always packed with peopel because there were only things you could get from there and it was a hub of transportation between certain areas, which is what World of Warcraft cities are. Same for Anarchy Online cities from what I remember and even Final Fantasy XI for it's horrible design has gotten this. Things like this go along way I feel.

Precisely the reason - other than going to your house, grabbing guild writs, or checking out the auction house - is there really any other reason to visit the cities?  At least those are the only reasons I visited the cities when I played about a year ago...
  • moonDOTdkmoonDOTdk Member Posts: 50
    Well because im not 70 yet, will be this week thou, then its still great for me to experience the expansions, but i enjoyed playing 6 - 50 as much as my first char i got up to 50. There is a big variation in the game from zone to zone, the only thing that really buggers me is the sound in permafrost cave !