Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE sets new player count record - 30,000

1234568»

Comments

• SquittySquitty Member Posts: 342
                I think mmorpg.com does a great job with the rating system.  If they listed the most popular games instead of the best rated there would either just be a bunch of free mmorpg's at the top with tons of dead accounts, or their would be only Japanese/chinese games which have many more subscribers then WoW.

• fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by mhex

I like to play games for what they have to offer. Not for
    what the "collective wetdream" that sci-fi players with an overactive
    imagination experience. I see the gave for what it is, with
    it's limitations. I don't try to use my imagination to build a better
    game out of what's being offered, because that's daydreaming, that's
    not reality.
    It takes more than simply a large community with a great imagination
    + a boring game that is of a "sandbox" design to be good in my book.
    The game itself actually has to be excellent. Yet that's not the case
    with EO. It's a very average game that has a great community and a
    sandbox design.
    Fact of the matter is, the gameplay in EO is rather poor overall.
    And that's how you judge a game, by it's gameplay. EO is boring, it's
    repetitive, there's no greatness in the the game. The end goal is
    either to acquire more stuff (better ships or more ISKs). There's no
    "infinite possibilities" here, because the game is limited by it's
    gameplay.
    plus the pvp is boring and it sucks.. it's hardly pvp at all.. just imo tho

An MMORPG is an MMORPG.

Eve is a virtual world.

Its not there to entertain you, it's an operating system to enter the sandbox.

Whether it's "repetative" or meditative is a matter of personal taste.

It's for nerdy sci-fi types who want to live a virtual space life.

I can join a 0.0 mining op and mine for 3-4 hours, while chatting and
    sipping my tea, it doesn't bore me at all, in fact I'm usually
    listening to the trance channel and in a meditative state.

So either love it or hate it, there IS nothing like it.

Comparing Eve to WoW is like comparing WoW to a Flight Simulator.

It's a completely different piece of software. You wouldn't load up a
    flight sim and then complain that its boring flying around for hours.

But that's exactly what people do in Eve.
  • WARCRYtmWARCRYtm Member Posts: 875

"I dont mean to flame eve , but congratz to this site , puting a 30 000 player game in front of guildwars that as 2 million copys sold."

"having eve for so long in number 1 , with only 30 000 people playing it"

Neoteo, omg did you read any of this posts???

EVE have 170k subscribers paing fees.(this is not a free game)

It got a record of 30k players online on same server "tranquility" "this game dosnt have instances to sustain lag, EVE have a super computer on top 500 super computers, no other game company have one.

Wath we are "selebrating" here is this great acomplishment.

• tookmaster1tookmaster1 Member Posts: 14
    I played eve but just couldnt get into it. I do admire its fans though.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by neoteo

30 000 ?
    i dont mean to flame eve , but congratz to this site , puting a 30 000 player game in front of guildwars that as 2 million copys sold.
    not sarcasm , its true eve is the most complex mmo i ever tried , must have the best ratings for that

It is not 30,000 players. It was 30k concurrent players on the server. Eve has around 170k subscribers.
  • Ranma13Ranma13 Member Posts: 747

A game that sells many copies is most likely a good game and very popular. However, just because a game doesn't sell well doesn't mean it's not a good game. For example, how many of you heard of a game called Dangerous Waters? Probably not a lot. But does that mean it's a crap game? Nope. But it IS an ultra-realistic naval combat simulation game and will obviously not appeal to everyone, especially not the mainstream crowd. You spend most of your time staring at dials, panels, and maps, and combat is limited to firing a weapon at a confirmed target and waiting a few minutes for the torpedo/missile to reach your target and then see if it detonated or not. Definitely not for those who would prefer lots of action.

EVE Online is the same way. Just because YOU don't like it, and just because it sold less copies than insert random MMORPG, it doesn't mean it's a crap game.

• pirrgpirrg Member Posts: 1,443

Originally posted by slapme7times
    wow to eve player ratio?

233    to    1

so by the numbers eve has 00.43% of the playerbase wow has!

so wow must have a 99.67% larger player base than eve.

keep up the good work eve!

think of it this way.

as long as blizzard doesnt get any more subscribers,  and eve continues to grow at the steady rate it has been since launch...

it'll take at least a 1000 years to catch up.

Hm, i wonder what the "IQ less then a doorknob" to "above average IQ" ratio is on the mmo market. Something like 233 to 1 i bet.

• Synyster777Synyster777 Member Posts: 301
    I like my games immersive, EVE wasn't very immersive to me. It just felt like a space fighter with an mmo grind twist to it. As for the 30k numbers congratulations but noone really cares. I just can't wait for the 3rd gen of mmo's so we will stop getting so many wow and eve threads. We will proberly just get war and sto threads lol

Lend a hand and break the chains of regularity you lean so closely upon

• gmmonkeygmmonkey Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Synyster777
    I like my games immersive, EVE wasn't very immersive to me. It just felt like a space fighter with an mmo grind twist to it. As for the 30k numbers congratulations but noone really cares. I just can't wait for the 3rd gen of mmo's so we will stop getting so many wow and eve threads. We will proberly just get war and sto threads lol

Obviously ppl care or they wouldnt be posting about it.
  • Synyster777Synyster777 Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by gmmonkey

Originally posted by Synyster777

Obviously ppl care or they wouldnt be posting about it.

You know how when people say man no one turned up at the concert or no one came to the movies, it's a figure of speech meaning not many people give/gave a shit I didn't literally mean no one. I also used the word *really* which was meant to symbolise the fact more people want to flame about or gloat about EVE in these forums then actually really care for it.

Lend a hand and break the chains of regularity you lean so closely upon

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Squitty
                I think mmorpg.com does a great job with the rating system.  If they listed the most popular games instead of the best rated there would either just be a bunch of free mmorpg's at the top with tons of dead accounts, or their would be only Japanese/chinese games which have many more subscribers then WoW.

thats incorrect. its a known rumor that there are supposed to be many Chinese mmo's with more subscribers then WoW. this is all bull really. people mix up Subscribers with (free) accounts created
  • SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

I think EVE Online will break 31,000 this weekend.

I will keep you all updated if they do.