Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monthly Costs

Beta909Beta909 Member Posts: 30

I am almost certain Fallen Earth will go with the flow on things and make it $14.99 US dollars. However, I think that a game with a good enough fan base should be cheaper.. (I.e. as they get more costumers lower the price) I am thinking on the buyer's side and I know why they charge so much from the sellers point of view.. But look at it this way:
100,000 costumers at $14.99 US is 1.5 million a month. Now that's more then enough to pay off servers and give the devs a good chunk of change for yearly pay. (If you have 50 employees not that they do but lets be nice and say so... that's 20,000 a month in pay after sever costs and game costs (Being nice and making costs .5 mil a month). Now I understand that they may be in debt so for 100,000 players that's a fair price.
200,000 Costumers on the other hand should be lowered to make people happier, but still make the devs happy. So lower it by say 5 dollars they still get 2 million a month. That's .5 million more to run more servers the content will be the same added if you had 100,000 players so why raise employee paychecks? Again that's from the player point of view and not the sellers.
(Here is hoping) 300,000 costumers lowering the price 5 dollars again would be stupid as you wouldn't make a profit and lose money so lower it to $8.00 US dollars a month. That is 2.4 million dollars. .4 million more to add more servers (If you need them). And you could raise paychecks as you are getting to the point where you want to keep players and need to add extra content.
I know that its a long shot as many Companies know that if people like the game enough they will stay even if the price doesn't drop.. But think of how many more people would come to a game for only $8 a month that's $7 cheaper then your average MMO. You are almost cutting the price in half.. I know that those milestones may not occur but that just means don't lower the price. I would be fine with paying the price if the game is good enough, but I would love the game and bring friends if it was cheaper. Now you wouldn’t have to drop so far so fast you could change the milestones and the prices.. I just think its a great thought to make your players happy and not like SOE and try to change the whole game.. (that’s another story though.. *shudder*).
Anyway that's just my two cents comment on the idea and let me know. Also please don't talk about the game being free, as I understand you would love for that to happen.. But let’s face it I don't want to play a game that is going to piss off the makers (Points to all the free MMORPG's out there.)
- Jeerota

Games Tried:
Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE): 9/10
Planetside: 7/10
Horizons: 4/10
Eve Online: 8/10
Asherons call: 3/10

Comments

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I just watched the dunebuggy/worm clip for the first time yesterday and FE sunk its hooks even deeper into me. I'd shell out the $15 a month without hesitation.

I have to admit to ignorance on the business economics. There's almost certainly a bit of greed - company directors have to keep shareholders happy with fat dividends, but I'd like to think some of that money is also being pumped back into developing the mmo I'm currently paying for, and new mmos.

On personal economics, I find $15 a month to play an mmo is pretty cheap. I really really like computer games, but single player games generally don't take me more than a week to finish and back before mmos I used to buy one a month. Playing mmos I spend a lot less now, but have way more fun and for longer.

As much as I expect FE to succeed and draw a lot of players - there's nothing else quite like it on the market - at around the time one might predict FE will launch, the market is probably going to be saturated. There are several highly anticipated mmos due out in around 6-12 months, and WoW has delayed the Burning Crusades expansion release to about the same time.

So on the one hand, those milestones you suggest may be hard to reach and price-slashing could be painful. On the other hand, present consumers with a choice of several quality products, and pricing suddenly becomes a more important factor in which product consumers select.

A drop in that standard $15 a month might be exactly what happens.

• McYodaMcYoda Member Posts: 40
    I'm downloading the Fallen Earth trailers just now, heck, I had no idea that FE would be something more than a half-assed fantasy game. Getting more and more interested in it as I'm reading the information bits and pieces from their website, especially the character customization and the general idea of surviving remnants of the human race matters a lot to me (as I tend to go towards RP stylish gameplay). And Mad Max trilogy is one of my biggest favourites ever, this game looks it's based a lot on Mad Maxish ideology, so I'm definitely in.

I think $15 (I live in Europe so around 14 euros here?) is perfectly fine, it's not a huge price to pay if you really like the game. I'm a student but I think I can always pay for a MMORPG even with my very limited treasure vault, you just need to cut the pointless crap that you'd otherwise buy, like fancy clothes when the old ones are still in tact and junk food when you can fix for yourself with less money... It's all about priorization, if you like computer games, then you're probably willing to donate 15 bucks a month to do your part in the constant developing of the game, as a sponsor and end-user.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

The FE website is frankly a bit average when it comes to game details. If the limited information they have posted there excites you read through the developer interviews and previews. They'll make you drool.

I think I have all of them listed here:

http://theseconddawn.com/links.asp

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433
    I would gladly pay $15 a month for this game, and I don't even have a job (I'm looking I swear!)

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• Beta909Beta909 Member Posts: 30
    Aye, I believe its a decent price as well just wondering what everyone else thought.. seems you all agree :P. As for the job I just got one and am rolling in extra money.. (I wish.. *sigh*).

Games Tried:
    Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE): 9/10
    Planetside: 7/10
    Horizons: 4/10
    Eve Online: 8/10
    Asherons call: 3/10

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Since I have a job that pays well enough, I have no problem with $15/month. But at that price (plus maybe $50 for the box) FE better be as good as it looks in the announcements.
    Otherwise I might find something else that suits me more (EVE maybe? It sure has some good reviews here, and I am an old Elite fan ).