Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What engine is this game running?

LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

It has to be the worst. It has total rubber band issues. Lag and Memory leaks are just over the top. Is this the orginial EQ engine that they built upon? Do they run this game on vmware?

Comments

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    The engine, ironically, has absolutely nothing in common with EQ.

But yea, client has absurd requirements.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

It is an obscure Asian MMO engine that they picked exclusively for SWG. SWG is one of the only games that use it and it was not designed in-house. It's been modified so many times that its broken as hell. They would be better off starting completely over with SWG.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830
    I used to know a tillamook on star sider. Do you know the name of the engine?

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    I don't, I found a game once that loooked very simular to SWG but I don't remember the name.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

I remember an engine before SWg that was made in Germany that looks like it...maybe I can email Raph. 

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622
    It is a Turbo Charged Ferrai V12 F140 5998cc 8 values, except that the turbo charger was removed.
    But, Players still had too much power, so each 500cc Cylinder was reduced to 100cc but
    the fact the engine was no longer a 5998cc was completely ignored.    Since the nerf wasn't completely
    successful, 1/2 the values per cylinder were disabled.  Still not satified this was an engine everyone
    could want and live with, 1/2 the cylinders were removed.  Still, because of the Ferrai name, the engine
    was still selling to well, so they changed the EFI to carburatoin.  At that point, even the diehard Ferrai fans were wondering what was going on.  Eventually, the build company complained that Ferrai didn't know what
    it was doing and they were the ones that dropped the original design.

So, I dunno what engine they are running with.
    I went to Raphs blog and sent an email asking him if it was home made or purchased. I doubt I will get a reply. 

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    A 1987 Yugo engine with 4 bad spark plugs, shorted ignition system, and water in the gas tank.

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492
    /raises hand   I know, I know!    The Little Engine That COULDN'T
  • Deleted87766Deleted87766 Member Posts: 59
    Steam...   and the boiler has gone cold
  • JediGeekJediGeek Member Posts: 446

Two hamsters...

But seriously, the issues you describe really aren't the result of the engine sucking.  The morons at SOE sucking is the problem.  First, their code is so bad with 3 different systems stacked on top of eachother that it has more bugs than a New York hooker, but they're trying to make this ridiculous FPS system work on an engine that was NEVER meant to do that.  As a result, more data has to be sent and received for combat to work.  What is required for this type of system to work effectively is literally impossible with latency across the internet. 

In short, SOE is stupid and the NGE is the problem.

SWG Tempest: Cardo Dycen RIP
    Eve: Cardoh Dycen
    I support random drug testing for all SOE employees

• Deleted87766Deleted87766 Member Posts: 59
    Thats probably why they put off the colision detection system , the lag is so bad now that CD would totally kill the system .
    Briggs and Stratten with water and oil in the gas tank trying to mow 9" grass that is wet.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803
    does it actually have an engine? looks to me that its mainly made of bitmaps

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    This one

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

They probally made their own, i think EQ2 uses a modded version but not sure

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Originally posted by JediGeek

it has more bugs than a New York hooker...

harsh.. that's quite a low blow to New York hookers comparing them to swg.

*edit*
    sometimes sarcasm just doesn't read right.

I found this out by word of mouth that the engine for EQ 2 is the same engine and has much of the same issues. But the EQ 2 team was able to do more with it. I also found out that it was an in house engine. But again this is all word of mouth.  I bet if I search I can find some early development articles.  I would love to know if there is an engine that can truly handle the beauty and the velocity of what star wars should be in an MMO.  

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Taken from an old post at http://www.starwarsgalaxiesonline.com/

Star Wars Galaxies - An Empire Divided features:

• Entirely new 3D engine designed to portray the Star Wars galaxy in the greatest possible detail
    • A seamless universe spanning ten fully-realized Star Wars worlds,
      from the films and expanded universe, each with over 15 x 15 kilometers
      of explorable terrain
    • Define your own role in the galaxy with 8 playable species and over
      30 professions; become bounty hunters, smugglers, squad leaders and
      more
    • Many social skills including dancing, musicianship and image designer
    • Advanced character customization tool that allows you to define nearly every detail of your character's appearance
    • Grow your character with an in-depth and flexible skill-based system of advancement
    • Highly configurable User Interface
    • Highly cinematic and tactical combat system that focuses on blasters and other ranged weapons
    • Ally and fight with the Rebel or Imperial sides of the Galactic Civil War, or remain neutral
    • Rewarding faction system that allows players to gain special perks by fighting in the Galactic Civil War
    • Battlefields, where players can square off against one another or NPCs to earn faction standing
    • Placeable Minefields, Turrets and Bases
    • Encounter and interact with 180+ unique creatures and hundreds of
      NPCs, including "named" characters like Darth Vader and Boba Fett
    • Robust chat system including hundreds of emotes, moods, chat styles, persistent messages and player created channels
    • Dynamic resource surveying and mining
    • Advanced crafting system
    • Completely player-run in-game economy that includes an in-game Marketplace that allows auctions and sales of in-game items
    • Jabba's Palace, and other "theme parks" offer a variety of missions for and encounters with well-known Star Wars characters
    • Dynamic Points of Interest that provide a huge supply of adventures
    • Random Mission system for shorter play sessions
    • Bounty Hunting skills and missions
    • Natural AI behaviors, including herding, stalking and lair defending
    • Player built and placed housing, shops and structures
    • Player groups of up to twenty players
    • Player run associations of up to 500 players
    • Badge system that rewards achievement in various areas
    • An in-game Matchmaking Service, helpful for identifying players with similar hobbies
    • The chance to unlock the mysterious Force Sensitive character slot
      and attempt to master the most exhilarating and dangerous role in the
      galaxy...the Jedi
    • Full team support with future expansions and updates
    Or you can go to http://swg.crgaming.com/faq/default.asp?Catagory=21&Page=1 and read:

What engine will you be using?

The Star Wars Galaxies team is creating an entirely new 3D engine for
    this title. The engine will be specifically designed to portray the
    Star Wars universe in the greatest possible detail. The team will be
    using Verant/SOE's experience in creating 3D engines for MMO titles and
    may incorporate elements from engines currently in development at the
    company.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649
    Its the same type of engine we had in our VW bus that we drove from norway to spain when i was a kid. On our way home the engine block cracked. And the french mechanic that didnt speak english said it best while he with one finger cut his troat. CAPUT.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078
    OP.. i completely disagree.

those aren't engine issues. this engine is one of the most flexible and diverse i've seen in ANY mmo. for it to be developed from the floor up by SOE.. well of course.. there's bugs, but it's capabilities... just look at what it's been thru.

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

Originally posted by xxthecorexx
    OP.. i completely disagree.

those aren't engine issues. this engine is one of the most flexible and diverse i've seen in ANY mmo. for it to be developed from the floor up by SOE.. well of course.. there's bugs, but it's capabilities... just look at what it's been thru.

The problem is it is just one giant hack now...It has been paved over more times than the cobblestone street in front of my work. And they wonder why they get anything to work right...while other games of this era have retooled from the ground up, the code monkeys at SWG have just slapped a new coat of paint on...at this point, the foundation is rotten.

Originally posted by Hauken
    Its the same type of engine we had in our VW bus that we drove from norway to spain when i was a kid. On our way home the engine block cracked. And the french mechanic that didnt speak english said it best while he with one finger cut his troat. CAPUT.

One of those rubberband powered airplane engines...

• iskareotiskareot Member Posts: 2,143

Originally posted by tillamook

It is an obscure Asian MMO engine that they picked exclusively for SWG. SWG is one of the only games that use it and it was not designed in-house. It's been modified so many times that its broken as hell. They would be better off starting completely over with SWG.

It is also over 6 years old now.

Changed 4 times but still the same core one.