Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KotOR MMO

Comments

• FignarFignar Member CommonPosts: 417
    To be honest i doubt this will be made for 2007. Reason being look at the development cycle for other games, they first need to create a web-based medium to  generate community interest so far no Kotor MMO website exists so they can provide the community with information about the development progress of this MMO if it exists. Secondly no information about the KOTOR game has been offically released to any gaming medium such as magazines, press releases, online gaming sites etc. Thirdly it takes about an average between 4 to 5 years to develope an MMO especially on the scale SWG was originally designed to be, that means from concept, to design, to alpha, to beta, to release.  So since they have only just built a base of operations in SOE land the 2007 date falls way too short for a full blown MMO to be suddenly launched out of no where. In other words this is just a rumour that may have some truth to it but may have suffered the chinese whisper problems where bits have been added as its been filtered down the various people who have heard it. The only thing I would say is Bioware is developing an MMO and thats it, beyond that its just speculation until something official gets released.

Water cooled Intel Corei7 920 D0 Stepping OC'd 4.3GHz - 6GB Corsair Dominator GT RAM 2000Mhz - ASUS RAGE II EXTREME X58 Mobo - 2x HD 5870 in Crossfire X, OC'd 0.9Ghz core 1.3Ghz RAM - Dell 2407WFP Flat Panel LCD 24" 1920x1200

• CraygheCrayghe Member UncommonPosts: 22

While this is nothing close to an official announcement - after all, rumours are hardly concrete, no matter what the source - Bioware could do worse than to make a KOTOR-based MMO a reality.

The 'Old Republic' era as a setting has an advantage in that it is removed enough from the movie era to allow both the development team and player base creative freedom. Both the single player games did a wonderful job of giving the Old Republic a unique, though strangely familiar look and added some intriguing elements of foreshadowing. The Star Wars universe is a BIG place, with the movies, books, games, etc. focussing on specific events and people within that universe. Having a game setting that is removed from the (well documented) time of the Galactic Rebellion has the potential to provide a refreshing look into a familiar place.

The inclusion of non-Jedi professions is a must. The world needs pilots, smugglers, bounty hunters, soldiers, healers, scientists, engineers, traders - all to take up the positions in the world Jedi cannot fill. In no way are these professions subordinate to the Jedi profession, and I also have no illusions that any one class is the exact equal of another profession. Jedi may excel at close/melee combat, while soldiers and bounty hunters are better at ranged combat. If we assumed that the progression of Jedi went from 'Force Sensitive' to 'Apprentice' to 'Padawan' to 'Knight' to 'Master', and that the choice of path was Jedi or Sith (is there room for Dark/Grey Jedi?), then similar paths of progression could be presented for other professions. There could also be a mechanism available to switch sides during a career - player choice? quest sequence? (Very LONG discussion this one.)

Would player controlled crafting be included? If so, in what form? Is the crafting profession the characters sole purpose, or can characters have secondary professions to round out other skill areas? Again, this idea extends to other professions as well - could a Soldier at some point in his career develop a secondary skill set in another profession (Jedi? Bounty Hunter? Medic?), or would Profession/Space/Crafting be seperate templates to be improved as each player desires?

The other main area would be 'game world'. Ignoring my dream of an 'open-ended galaxy' (which could go on forever, and takes a LOT of resources to make and maintain), two or three planets for each subtype (forest, city, water, farming, orbital, etc) with unique purpose-made planets (Jedi Academy, Sith Stronghold, etc) based on game population. This opens up the way for mission/quest systems to send you 'off-planet'as well as player exploration. The hybrid ground/space career path could be used as a way to open up these areas too.

My other 'wish' is limited PvP. A well presented PvP system might change my mind, but I generally don't go for PvP (not in its bullying gank-fest form anyways), so ALL PvP should be optional. Jedi vs Sith is naturally battle-worthy, but enforceable consequences for any abuse of PvP need to be in place.

OK - so maybe I've thought about this way more than I should have. While I'm not sure it would ever happen, I'd love for a KOTOR MMO to be done right...

PS: For the love of the Force, if you include the ability for player toons to 'jump', don't half-ass it and recycle a damned emote!!!
  • BrianAddisonBrianAddison Member Posts: 227
    People complain about another "I want to be Lukeskywalker." game. However in the era in which KotOR was set in, Jedi and Sith were a common sight, there was an ongoing war lead by both Jedi and Sith, their presence felt by all. Same goes true for the Mandalorians, though they were a little less common. However, in SWG, there were supposedly little to no Jedi left in the galaxy. But, SOE wanted to play towards the younger group of people, who want to be Luke Skywalker or Boba Fett, in order to boost their subscriptions.
  • MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Rups

However, it is all still rumor. There has been no press release, no conferences, nothing except Bioware acknowledging that they are working on an MMO. Until official confirmation has been made, then I cannot and will not believe it. It's nothing personal to those who are claiming to be in the know. I'm sure you know better than I do what may or may not be occuring behind the scenes. I, as well as probably 90% of the people on this board, can only hope you're right.

Well said. It is a "Rumor" until it's announced. Look at the footage recently leaked on YouTube of that upcoming LA SW game. Sure, it's obviously a teaser, but LA won't even tell us to what, and until they do, it doesn't exist. Yeah, that's a lot of work for a game that doesn't exist, but that happens all of the time in gaming. Projects are put together and then sit there until the contracts & details are worked out.

The key here are 2 seperate people "hearing" things from their own "inside" sources. Their info was different enough to convince me something is going on, and they told me much more then I've said here. The reason I haven't posted any of that is simple: No supporting source, since on all of the other stuff they said they didn't both talk about it. I've also asked both of them to keep their eyes open for Art or Official info. One told me flat out, NO, it wasn't worth their job (damn responsable people) and the other said if they could get their hands on any of it, so would I.

It's important to remember: This IS a rumor right now. Sure, something is going on, but it may not be what we think, or even the "inside" sources think. After thinking about it I thought "Hey, what if Bioware is doing the next KotOR and it's Multiplayer like NWN..." That would explain the art and a mistaken "MMO" title. It's possibility, like it or not...

However, what I was told was too specific for that, it was VERY specific about being an MMO. But it's important for us to remember that until it's announced or leaked majorly, nothing is for sure, no matter how much evidence points to it. That said, I believe my sources it is a KotOR MMO, and I'm hoping this all goes well... I need a good MMO, and I want to love SW again...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

Originally posted by Fignar
    To be honest i doubt this will be made for 2007. Reason being look at the development cycle for other games, they first need to create a web-based medium to  generate community interest so far no Kotor MMO website exists so they can provide the community with information about the development progress of this MMO if it exists. Secondly no information about the KOTOR game has been offically released to any gaming medium such as magazines, press releases, online gaming sites etc. Thirdly it takes about an average between 4 to 5 years to develope an MMO especially on the scale SWG was originally designed to be, that means from concept, to design, to alpha, to beta, to release.  So since they have only just built a base of operations in SOE land the 2007 date falls way too short for a full blown MMO to be suddenly launched out of no where. In other words this is just a rumour that may have some truth to it but may have suffered the chinese whisper problems where bits have been added as its been filtered down the various people who have heard it. The only thing I would say is Bioware is developing an MMO and thats it, beyond that its just speculation until something official gets released.

Remember, Blizzard developed WoW in about 3 years. EVERYONE said it couldn't be done. Not only did they do it, but look how solid it was. Bioware also Developed Mass Effect in under 2 years, and watching those movies, that's an impressive task... that game looks amazing...

I agree, '07 is probably too agressive, but just because they set a date, doesn't mean they'll hit it... Look at VSoH... it's been pushed back for a year+ now... they gave a date, then changed it... it happens.

• HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

Originally posted by MX13

Originally posted by Fignar

Remember, Blizzard developed WoW in about 3 years. EVERYONE said it couldn't be done. Not only did they do it, but look how solid it was. Bioware also Developed Mass Effect in under 2 years, and watching those movies, that's an impressive task... that game looks amazing...

I agree, '07 is probably too agressive, but just because they set a date, doesn't mean they'll hit it... Look at VSoH... it's been pushed back for a year+ now... they gave a date, then changed it... it happens.

Ive learned this about MMO development: Expect a minimum of 3-6 months delay from a set release day.

Hauken Stormchaser
    I want pre-CU back
    Station.com : We got your game
    Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Originally posted by scaramoosh

They brought the Unreal 3 engine, not making their own

No it was the Hero engine.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

Originally posted by tillamook

Originally posted by scaramoosh

They brought the Unreal 3 engine, not making their own

No it was the Hero engine.

Correct, it's SOE who have licensed the Unreal Engine for their own twisted schemes.
  • RupsRups Member Posts: 53

I've also asked both of them to keep their eyes open for Art or Official info. One told me flat out, NO, it wasn't worth their job (damn responsable people) and the other said if they could get their hands on any of it, so would I.

Now a comment like that would make me think twice about his validity. Based upon that, I am assuming that he works for or with Bioware in some capacity and has access to official information that has yet to be released. That being the case, the simple act of implying his involvement would have already gotten him fired if such an action were possible. But since he alledgedly has not been fired from his job, you can assume either one of two things:

1) He is blowing smoke, and is in no way shape or form privy to information concerning Bioware's MMO.

2) Bioware is not keeping close tabs on where leaked information is coming from. In which case, he would easily be able to sneak something official like art or confidential information without being caught.

I've also asked both of them to keep their eyes open for Art or Official info. One told me flat out, NO, it wasn't worth their job (damn responsable people) and the other said if they could get their hands on any of it, so would I.

Now a comment like that would make me think twice about his validity. Based upon that, I am assuming that he works for or with Bioware in some capacity and has access to official information that has yet to be released. That being the case, the simple act of implying his involvement would have already gotten him fired if such an action were possible. But since he alledgedly has not been fired from his job, you can assume either one of two things:
    1) He is blowing smoke, and is in no way shape or form privy to information concerning Bioware's MMO.
    2) Bioware is not keeping close tabs on where leaked information is coming from. In which case, he would easily be able to sneak something official like art or confidential information without being caught.

Damn secrets. I wonder if they have a secret handshake.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• -Magoo--Magoo- Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hey all. Been following this board for awhiles now (with the same sorta hope that one day they'll be an announcement of PreCU or something to get excited about). I've been reading a bunch about the aggressive launch date (hypothetical of course since it's rumored, but I've come to accept that rumors are better than what's available on the market, meh). While the end of next year might seem kinda quick, wouldn't all the talk of traditional development time be tossed out the window since they're not developinig their own engine for the game? Again, I haven't the faintest clue as to what goes into the making these things tick, but if producing an engine to run everything on is outsourced, doesn't it stand to make sense that an aggressive release date might seem more realistic?

Originally posted by -Magoo-

Hey all. Been following this board for awhiles now (with the same sorta hope that one day they'll be an announcement of PreCU or something to get excited about). I've been reading a bunch about the aggressive launch date (hypothetical of course since it's rumored, but I've come to accept that rumors are better than what's available on the market, meh). While the end of next year might seem kinda quick, wouldn't all the talk of traditional development time be tossed out the window since they're not developinig their own engine for the game? Again, I haven't the faintest clue as to what goes into the making these things tick, but if producing an engine to run everything on is outsourced, doesn't it stand to make sense that an aggressive release date might seem more realistic?

http://www.cesspit.net/drupal/node/1462
    SWG Bloodfin vet

ROFLMAO.... OMG... wow.... ok...

So because someone is willing to talk to someone after work, but not grab anything they may see at work, that makes them less valid? Have you had a job?

Oh, and niether of my sources works for Bioware... as I've said...

• MikeG50MikeG50 Member Posts: 46
    NJO FTW

----------------------------------------
    will never buy another sony product again, thanks SOE!

• RupsRups Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by MX13

ROFLMAO.... OMG... wow.... ok...
    So because someone is willing to talk to someone after work, but not grab anything they may see at work, that makes them less valid? Have you had a job?
    Oh, and niether of my sources works for Bioware... as I've said...

Ok to begin with, my post was not meant to flame you, so why you are taking offense to it is beyond me.

Secondly yes, it is ok to talk after work but not show hard evidence of claims made. But to claim that doing one without doing the other keeps you from being fired is absolute bull.

Oh and yes I have had a job. As a matter of fact, I've been in the military for over 9 years with a secret clearance, and I can guarantee that I know a little something about information leaks.

And lastly if your alleged sources do not work for Bioware in any capacity, then how could their job be in jeopardy?

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Can the hero engine handle atmospheric flight?

Ok to begin with, my post was not meant to flame you, so why you are taking offense to it is beyond me.

Secondly yes, it is ok to talk after work but not show hard evidence of claims made. But to claim that doing one without doing the other keeps you from being fired is absolute bull.

Oh and yes I have had a job. As a matter of fact, I've been in the military for over 9 years with a secret clearance, and I can guarantee that I know a little something about information leaks.

And lastly if your alleged sources do not work for Bioware in any capacity, then how could their job be in jeopardy?

1. Didn't take it as a Flame on me, I took it as a Flame on someone I know. That did upset me, and I apologize if my tone came accross as Flaming you.
    2. When taking said materials out of the workplace, it very well can lead to you being fired. That is fact, I've fired someone for doing just that, with cause.
    3. You may, but to jump to such a conclussion is ignoring any potential mitigating factors that can not be discussed. If they could, I would name the source.
    4. Because thier employer may not appreciate it. Here's an example: SOE makes a game and send the promo material to an advertising agency to begin work on advertising matertials. Those confidential materials are leaked by someone at the agency. Don't you think the Agency would take action against their employee?

Originally posted by Lateris

God I hope not... the last thing I want to happen to me while hunting on Tat is to have a TIE fighter strafe me...

• BlazinBladesBlazinBlades Member Posts: 1,214

Originally posted by Lateris

Bring it on down now, BiOwArE is like wearing women’s panties for the first time as and adult, its hot baby it’s really friggn hot and sexy. Anything Bioware does is going to be great, twinkle twinkle come on twinkle twinkle, bring it on down now. That’s my new ending for everyone, its no longer “Thank you for your time”, its “Bring it on down now”. I have a feeling from all the rumors going around that Bioware is doing something in the Sci-Fi fantasy type genre for an MMO, it may not be Star Wars but who gives a shit, and it’s going to be good anyways. Can the Hero Engine handle Atmospheric flight, it will once Bioware is done with it, you know why, just because they can. Bring it on down now.

Damn byotch dat aint no friggn moon fool, dat be a friggn space station byotch.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

That’s why a new star wars game should have pvp servers, pve
    servers, and rp servers. I would just love to see a star destroyer land on the
    surface :) I guess my star wars mmo in my head will do that lol

l

• MrArchyMrArchy Member Posts: 643

Three things:

1)  Blazin, you didn't thank him for his time

2) getting MX13's post up to 200

3) Hope the OPs point is true, but I don't think it is.  But I do hope so.  But I doubt it.

SWG Veteran and Refugee, Intrepid server
    NGE free as of Nov. 22, 2005
    Now Playing: World of Warcrack
    Forum Terrorist

• CraygheCrayghe Member UncommonPosts: 22

Originally posted by MikeG50
    NJO FTW

Star Wars: Legacy era would be sweet too. (Check out the Dark Horse comics if you missed it.)

It has Jedi, it has Sith, and it has a Galactic Empire (supported by an army of Grey Jedi). Again, removed enough from the movies to allow creative freedom, and lots of potential for exploration away from the 'historical backbone'.

Originally posted by Crayghe

Originally posted by MikeG50
    NJO FTW
    Star Wars: Legacy era would be sweet too. (Check out the Dark Horse comics if you missed it.)

It has Jedi, it has Sith, and it has a Galactic Empire (supported by an army of Grey Jedi). Again, removed enough from the movies to allow creative freedom, and lots of potential for exploration away from the 'historical backbone'.

A Timeline Bump to that era, and a CU or Pre-CU combat system and I would be there in a SECOND... on top of that, SWG could support it since it's a TL bump of only about 6 years...

• dolaniousdolanious Member Posts: 186

Someone here mentioned they thought it was going to be a medevil game... well I would question the wisdom of this because there already are dozens and dozens of medevil MMO's on the market now, with even more in development. Bioware announcing another fantasy game will be met with a collective yawn by the community (yes, even though BIOWARE is making it) simply from medevil-setting burnout.

However, there is a severe shortage of space-based MMO's available with non even in development. If the mysterious MMO BIOWARE is working on isn't a STAR WARS property I won't exactly be surprised, but I will be surprised if it isn't a space based MMO.

• AtariFXAtariFX Member Posts: 44
    I cant believe the entire AGC passed and there hasn't been a shred of news.

Mesa gonna ruin Star Wars forever!!!!!