Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KotOR MMO

Comments

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

My evidence that it's a fantasy game:

Quote: "Examples of the style of game dialogue that we are looking for: Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights." - BioWare new MMORPG Writer Job post

Quote: "Familiarity with fantasy role-playing games is a must." - BioWare MMO World designer job post.

Most of the job posts are looking for some fantasy angle.

Now what is your proof the it's KOTOR?

Bioware picked up a bunch of SOE devs? Those Devs have XP in MMOs and were "for hire" of course Bioware will pick them up.  Hell, they also make up a lot the old UO team does that mean it's a new UO MMO?

Bioware made KOTOR?  They didn't make KOTOR2 - there were rumors that LA and Bioware didn't get along.  If you know about LA's CEO you'll know why.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a MMO about starwars again and think that Bioware would do a good job of it, but you guys are clutching at thin air.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Originally posted by Wickersham

My evidence that it's a fantasy game:
    Quote: "Examples of the style of game dialogue that we are looking for: Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights." - BioWare new MMORPG Writer Job post
    Quote: "Familiarity with fantasy role-playing games is a must." - BioWare MMO World designer job post.
    Most of the job posts are looking for some fantasy angle.
    Now what is your proof the it's KOTOR?
    Bioware picked up a bunch of SOE devs? Those Devs have XP in MMOs and were "for hire" of course Bioware will pick them up.  Hell, they also make up a lot the old UO team does that mean it's a new UO MMO?
    Bioware made KOTOR?  They didn't make KOTOR2 - there were rumors that LA and Bioware didn't get along.  If you know about LA's CEO you'll know why.
    Don't get me wrong, I would like to see a MMO about starwars again and think that Bioware would do a good job of it, but you guys are clutching at thin air.

Don't lose hope yet.

They publicly retracted their statement that that they would be sticking with their own IP for any future games. In other words they would be willing to work with an IP outside their own not excluding LEC.

Quote: Posted 03/30/06 20:31:02 (GMT) by the_one_54321

bioware has retracted its comments concerning sticking to its own intellectual property. this came up on the "MMO" anouncement thread. (i was telling them the same thing as you and the officials corrected me)

I went back thru the thread and looked, you were right.

Quote: Quote: Posted 03/14/06 18:52:51 (GMT) by Spectus

To the_one_54321: I don't suppose you have a link to any pages that have the official word from BW execs that they will not be working with any outside intellectual properties for this MMORPG, do you?

the_one_54321

priestly, henley and woo have been posting on this thread. why dont you just ask them? im pretty sure henley was one of the specific persons who said bioware will not be doing others intellectual property. priestly and woo may have also commented on it. i can try and find a link for you but im really no good with the search feature so no promises.

Quote: 
    Chris Priestly
    Quality Assurance

Actually, One, if you read our posts you'll notice we are carefully NOT saying what it will or will not be about yet.

Except Stan and his dementia about toys from the 80's. But he's out of his gourd and cannot be trusted.

Quote: the_one_54321

no i was talking about the posts in starwars topics in the off topic forum. im pretty sure that henley has made it very clear that bioware will not be working with outside intellectual property.

Quote: 

Chris Priestly
    Quality Assurance

I never saw those. But they certainly must have been made BEFORE we announced a MMO. Once again, this means nothing (except that James is as valuable a source of info as Woo) as far as what our MMO may or may not be about.

Quote: Quote: Posted 03/14/06 20:52:45 (GMT) by Stanley Woo

Go. Bots. Go. Bots!
    Mighty robots!
    Mighty ve-hi-cles!
    GO-BOTS!

James Henley
    Designer

Between Go-Bots, Captain Caveman, Bionic Six, Dino Riders, Galaxy High, Turbo Teen, and M.A.S.K., we've got a metric pile of properties we can play with do develop an MMO. Heck, I bet if I lobbied hard enough, I could convince BioWare Austin to do a Rainbow Brite game!

And by "lobby," I of course mean "brainwash."

It disturbs me that I know most of those references.

And yes, my comments about focusing on existing BioWare intellectual properties were pre-MMO announcement.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• EyeSpEyeEyeSpEye Member Posts: 66
    fan?ta?sy? /?fænt?si, -zi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fan-tuh-see, -zee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -sies, verb, -sied, -sy?ing.
    –noun
    1. imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.
    2. the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.
    3. a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.
    4. Psychology. an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling a psychological need; daydream.
    5. a hallucination.
    6. a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies.
    7. caprice; whim.
    8. an ingenious or fanciful thought, design, or invention.
    9. Also, fantasia. Literature. an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror.
    10. Music. fantasia (def. 1).
    –verb (used with object), verb (used without object)
    11. to form mental images; imagine; fantasize.
    12. Rare. to write or play fantasias.
    Just saying FANTASY means literaly anything. So I wouldn't look too much into the job decription of "fantasy role playing games".

And I'm not trying to say this proves that this game is Star Wars. But one way to look at it is that Star Wars falls into that description just like any other title (Baulder's Gate, Jade Empire, My Little Pony, etc)

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918
    the bottom line is that if they want to create a mass appeal MMO about star wars then they need to put it in a different time line than the origional SWG.  It made no sense for them to choose the time spot that they did, it clearly had very little long term thought behind it.  KOTOR on the other hand provides a perfect back drop for a mass appeal MMO because jedi were not completely extinct at this time, in fact there were thousands of them.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• JackBauer24JackBauer24 Member Posts: 283
    You are very right but, that should'nt be the only reason to choose KOTOR as the timeline.  We should also base it around that there is more stuff to do more cool ships and such.  Hell maybe some mini games.  I strongly think thought, that there should be some massive battles like Episode 3 that timline would work out too because of all the battles, Jedi, clones, weapons, tehcnology, and people.  Thats just my idea though.
  • ZalabinskyZalabinsky Member Posts: 2
    Bioware did licence Unreal Engine 3, any word on that?

Bioware+UE3+mmo=failure is not a possiblity
  • PyscoJuggaloPyscoJuggalo Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

IF the MMROPG is-

1- Based on KOTOR

2- Developed by Bioware

3- Does not have LA meddeling with it.

THEN I do not see how it could fail (when it comes to making money).  A KOTOR MMORPG is truely following the WoW model: build up a huge fanbase for videogames of the series and then building them a MMORPG.

--When you resubscribe to SWG, an 18 yearold Stripper finds Jesus, gives up stripping, and moves with a rolex reverend to Hawaii.
    --In MMORPG's l007 is the opiate of the masses.
    --The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence!
    --CCP could cut off an Eve player's fun bits, and that player would say that it was good CCP did that.

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489
    After watching THIS I would BEG Bioware to make the next SW MMO... just wow... this is almost large enough to be an MMO in itself...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• WyethWyeth Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by MX13

It was also added that SWG will keep going and will be sunset at the new MMO's release. My second source added they will release a Classic version of the game this Winter, but I have no confirmation source.

Have you had any more information on this part yet MX13?

Zadox - Chilastra 12/1/03-6/3/05 Master Rifleman, Master Scout, Master Ranger.

Originally posted by Wyeth

It was also added that SWG will keep going and will be sunset at the new MMO's release. My second source added they will release a Classic version of the game this Winter, but I have no confirmation source.

Have you had any more information on this part yet MX13?

I did before, but this is the same source, and I haven't been able to confirm it's actually coing out. All I can say is I trust the person, they're not a gossip and what they have is pretty convincing... but this source is not in a position to know for sure. I keep hoping to see something somewhere to confirm it...

If I hear anything, I'm sure I won't keep it to myself.... hehe...

• -Teek--Teek- Member Posts: 51

Well, I just got a confirmation from a second source. I'm not saying it's fact, but 2 seperate sources have now said they have seen materials for it. Here we go:

Just sharing... don't be hate'in...

This would be great.  But with all the rumors for the last year, and the continuous heartbreak, I wish they would just announce it.

The longer they wait, the more people are becoming committed to other games.  The more Pre-CU subs they are losing. 

Man I hate $OE and would love to punch some of the Devs in the onion sack.

• bedolla3401bedolla3401 Member Posts: 293
    i wouldn't mind playing a KOTOR mmorpg game or a post ep 6 game versions, due to either one has lots of jedi runing around also bring into different professions like the original SWG.  Maybe this would be a more enjoyable game to play, i know im in for it, and how would the planets be, which ones would be on it and will the combat be pre cu CU or ngecrap?
  • dolaniousdolanious Member Posts: 186
    lol, hey guys remember me? I was banned from here for a long time, but am back now....

As long as BIOWARE is developing it, it will be a quality piece of work (despite LA's medling hands).

Ironically, in a game full of JEDI, I wouldn't want to be one, where-as in SWG JEDI were a rarity (conventionally-speaking) and I would want to be one. So I would hope they include other classes such as Bounty Hunter, Smuggler, etc.

Technologically, I'm really interested to see what this game will offer. MX13, you made it sound like the game would be using the SWG engine -- which is a red flag. I now expect it to look and play like a game from 5 years ago - so I hope whatever this game is, it's fresh from the ground up.

I would hope that it can compare to Masseffect -- but since you stated a 2007 release date, that seems awfuly soon for it having only been in development for less than 10 months. I know it isn't proper to compare any MMO to MAsseffect since Masseffect isn't an MMO - and MMOs generally can't handle that kind of detail... but you get what I mean.

What say you?

I'm not sure what engine it will have, but I'd be surprised if it was the same engine.... I mean, 6 years later? It just doesn't sound like something Bioware would do.

That said, I post a few threads up that if it were ANYTHING like Mass Effect.... GRRRRRR.... Oh Baby...... I put a link in that thread, if you have watched that Vid, give it a shot.... just wow.... and the funny thing is it already kind of looks like what I'd expect in a SW MMO, hehe.... man, it looks good....

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Here, this will crush everyone...
    There's still ONE major part of this that is up in the Air: Who would run the game?
    Bioware has ZERO MMO operation experience, and SOE is the obvious choice. This seems to be what SOE is moving towards doing already, game hosting. Plus it would explain any cooperation by SOE, which if they are using the old engine, would already be happening.

Not to break your bubbles...

BioWare is using the same engine as HJ...and they are recruiting peoples with strong assets on MEDIEVAL stuff...

But it is not impossible that it is a KOTOR MMO, it would be great IMO...I just doubt it...especially with their recent experience with LA...and now gloating about all the story-driven aspect of the MMO, after all what was cut in KOTOR 2 story-wise...hehe, maybe...but...

Now you put a deadlines in 2007?    If this happen, then I am willing to tell you that many devs around the MMOs world would start workshipping them, I mean, they announce they where going to make a MMO in last march, merely 2 years of production?  I mean, sure, I want to believe...but can it be that fast?  I sure hope it is and they did work secretly before that date, which is possible.

As to who would run the servers, be it SoE, NCsoft or anyone else, I can't care less, as long as BioWare is doing the game and running the design room!    With a heavy sign saying: "No McQuaid allowed inside!" 

Maybe BioWare is developping MANY MMOs?  Now that would rocks, wouldn't it?  Ninja release of 5 MMOs, differents graphics and rules, but same engine, all at the same time...but...even my most optimistic side wouldn't dream of that!

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Anofalye

Not to break your bubbles...

BioWare is using the same engine as HJ...and they are recruiting peoples with strong assets on MEDIEVAL stuff...

But it is not impossible that it is a KOTOR MMO, it would be great IMO...I just doubt it...especially with their recent experience with LA...and now gloating about all the story-driven aspect of the MMO, after all what was cut in KOTOR 2 story-wise...hehe, maybe...but...

Now you put a deadlines in 2007?    If this happen, then I am willing to tell you that many devs around the MMOs world would start workshipping them, I mean, they announce they where going to make a MMO in last march, merely 2 years of production?  I mean, sure, I want to believe...but can it be that fast?  I sure hope it is and they did work secretly before that date, which is possible.

As to who would run the servers, be it SoE, NCsoft or anyone else, I can't care less, as long as BioWare is doing the game and running the design room!    With a heavy sign saying: "No McQuaid allowed inside!" 

Maybe BioWare is developping MANY MMOs?  Now that would rocks, wouldn't it?  Ninja release of 5 MMOs, differents graphics and rules, but same engine, all at the same time...but...even my most optimistic side wouldn't dream of that!

Originally posted by EyeSpEye
    fan?ta?sy? /?fænt?si, -zi/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fan-tuh-see, -zee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, plural -sies, verb, -sied, -sy?ing.
    –noun

imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.

the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.

a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.

Psychology. an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling a psychological need; daydream.

a hallucination.

a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies.

caprice; whim.

an ingenious or fanciful thought, design, or invention.

Also, fantasia. Literature. an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror.

Music. fantasia (def. 1). –verb (used with object), verb (used without object)

to form mental images; imagine; fantasize.

Rare. to write or play fantasias.
    Just saying FANTASY means literaly anything. So I wouldn't look too much into the job decription of "fantasy role playing games".

And I'm not trying to say this proves that this game is Star Wars. But one way to look at it is that Star Wars falls into that description just like any other title (Baulder's Gate, Jade Empire, My Little Pony, etc)

They publicly retracted their statement that that they would be sticking with their own IP for any future games. In other words they would be willing to work with an IP outside their own not excluding LEC.

Quote: Posted 03/30/06 20:31:02 (GMT) by the_one_54321

bioware has retracted its comments concerning sticking to its own intellectual property. this came up on the "MMO" anouncement thread. (i was telling them the same thing as you and the officials corrected me)

I went back thru the thread and looked, you were right.

Quote: Quote: Posted 03/14/06 18:52:51 (GMT) by Spectus

To the_one_54321: I don't suppose you have a link to any pages that have the official word from BW execs that they will not be working with any outside intellectual properties for this MMORPG, do you?

the_one_54321

priestly, henley and woo have been posting on this thread. why dont you just ask them? im pretty sure henley was one of the specific persons who said bioware will not be doing others intellectual property. priestly and woo may have also commented on it. i can try and find a link for you but im really no good with the search feature so no promises.

Quote: 
    Chris Priestly
    Quality Assurance

Actually, One, if you read our posts you'll notice we are carefully NOT saying what it will or will not be about yet.

Except Stan and his dementia about toys from the 80's. But he's out of his gourd and cannot be trusted.

Quote: the_one_54321

no i was talking about the posts in starwars topics in the off topic forum. im pretty sure that henley has made it very clear that bioware will not be working with outside intellectual property.

Quote: 

Chris Priestly
    Quality Assurance

I never saw those. But they certainly must have been made BEFORE we announced a MMO. Once again, this means nothing (except that James is as valuable a source of info as Woo) as far as what our MMO may or may not be about.

Quote: Quote: Posted 03/14/06 20:52:45 (GMT) by Stanley Woo

Go. Bots. Go. Bots!
    Mighty robots!
    Mighty ve-hi-cles!
    GO-BOTS!

James Henley
    Designer

Between Go-Bots, Captain Caveman, Bionic Six, Dino Riders, Galaxy High, Turbo Teen, and M.A.S.K., we've got a metric pile of properties we can play with do develop an MMO. Heck, I bet if I lobbied hard enough, I could convince BioWare Austin to do a Rainbow Brite game!

And by "lobby," I of course mean "brainwash."

It disturbs me that I know most of those references.

And yes, my comments about focusing on existing BioWare intellectual properties were pre-MMO announcement.
    (I wonder how many times I can post this for people who miss the whole thread) 3rd time now FTW, don't lose hope yet.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

Originally posted by tillamook
    (I wonder how many times I can post this for people who miss the whole thread) 3rd time now FTW, don't lose hope yet.

Dude, this post is 17 pages long... take it easy on the guy....

That said, QFE...

And as far as the "End of 2007" thing, that's what I was told, and in a post right after that I said I doubted they could make it. Who knows? Maybe being their first MMO, they thought it would be easier, I mean, they did Mass Effect in less than 2 years, why not 2.5 for a MMO (I'm saying that as thier possible mindset). But seriously, how many MMO's have made their "deadlines"?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

That said, QFE...

And as far as the "End of 2007" thing, that's what I was told, and in a post right after that I said I doubted they could make it. Who knows? Maybe being their first MMO, they thought it would be easier, I mean, they did Mass Effect in less than 2 years, why not 2.5 for a MMO (I'm saying that as thier possible mindset). But seriously, how many MMO's have made their "deadlines"?

I don't understand why Tillamok even post this, it doesn't address anything I brought.   He even put in red the important parts, and he bring something off topic!  I said it was unlikely to be KOTOR, he bring proofs that BioWare is willing to work on outside properties, which I never question...

See, the key point was the BioWare is ENTHUSIAST about the story-driven nature of the MMO they are working on, it was not press release, it was honest.  However, anyone know that working on story-driven stuff with LA and been enthusiast = sado.    I talk about MEDIEVAL, he brings stuff about fantasy.

Personnally, I do believe BioWare is working on a project in a D&D world, I can be wrong, but eh, using HJ engines and recruiting peoples with MEDIEVAL assets tend to confirm this...yet, as all of you, I am merely speculating.  I start wondering if the tutorial will be with Elminster, Bigsby or Alphatia! 

As to the release date, what you say make sense!  I also know that BioWare althought working faster than Blizzard, they also take the necessary time to release quality!  So we will see!  The release date sound more like a guess by a Gamespot employee which happen to be a fan of BioWare just as we all are, than been anything serious! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

That said, QFE...

I don't understand why Tillamok even post this, it doesn't address anything I brought.   He even put in red the important parts, and he bring something off topic!  I said it was unlikely to be KOTOR, he bring proofs that BioWare is willing to work on outside properties, which I never question...

See, the key point was the BioWare is ENTHUSIAST about the story-driven nature of the MMO they are working on, it was not press release, it was honest.  However, anyone know that working on story-driven stuff with LA and been enthusiast = sado.    I talk about MEDIEVAL, he brings stuff about fantasy.

Personnally, I do believe BioWare is working on a project in a D&D world, I can be wrong, but eh, using HJ engines and recruiting peoples with MEDIEVAL assets tend to confirm this...yet, as all of you, I am merely speculating.  I start wondering if the tutorial will be with Elminster, Bigsby or Alphatia! 

As to the release date, what you say make sense!  I also know that BioWare althought working faster than Blizzard, they also take the necessary time to release quality!  So we will see!  The release date sound more like a guess by a Gamespot employee which happen to be a fan of BioWare just as we all are, than been anything serious! 

What he was pointing out is that Bioware HAD (they have been back and forth on this) said they were recruiting folks for a Fantasy based game, which Star Wars is (as GL himself has said for years)... he was on, just you two using different terms... or maybe not, lol...

He was also adding a bit of Bioware backround info... good stuff for the read, although it's better in context... basiclly, it comes down to Bioware baiting with SW, and doing all they can to avoid the SW IP MMO question...

Good stuff on the end... hehe...

That said, QFE...

I'll do it again, There is already a D&D MMO and it is far to new for Wizards to jump ship on it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

I'll do it again, There is already a D&D MMO and it is far to new for Wizards to jump ship on it.

Exactly...

• AtariFXAtariFX Member Posts: 44
    http://forums.bioware.com/myviewtopic.html?topic=473550&forum=41&sp=1350#4302654

I'm standing up for you over on the Bioware forums. People are thowing a fit simply bc I said you are a respected member of the forums AND you have a lot of posts.

FLAME ON B*TCHES

Mesa gonna ruin Star Wars forever!!!!!

• RupsRups Member Posts: 53

I really want this to be true, and I have been following this rumor ever since I first read it here in this forum. I honestly think that Bioware doing a Star Wars MMO based upon the original design of SWG set in either the KOTOR timeline or in the Jedi Academy timeline would be nothing short of amazing. And should it occur and be all that it is hyped to be, then SWG would cease to existy simply because of the lack of interest.

However, it is all still rumor. There has been no press release, no conferences, nothing except Bioware acknowledging that they are working on an MMO. Until official confirmation has been made, then I cannot and will not believe it. It's nothing personal to those who are claiming to be in the know. I'm sure you know better than I do what may or may not be occuring behind the scenes. I, as well as probably 90% of the people on this board, can only hope you're right.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Originally posted by EyeSpEye
    –noun

imagination, esp. when extravagant and unrestrained.

the forming of mental images, esp. wondrous or strange fancies; imaginative conceptualizing.

a mental image, esp. when unreal or fantastic; vision: a nightmare fantasy.

Psychology. an imagined or conjured up sequence fulfilling a psychological need; daydream.

a hallucination.

a supposition based on no solid foundation; visionary idea; illusion: dreams of Utopias and similar fantasies.

caprice; whim.

an ingenious or fanciful thought, design, or invention.

Also, fantasia. Literature. an imaginative or fanciful work, esp. one dealing with supernatural or unnatural events or characters: The stories of Poe are fantasies of horror.

Music. fantasia (def. 1). –verb (used with object), verb (used without object)

to form mental images; imagine; fantasize.

Rare. to write or play fantasias.

Not when talking about MMORPGs - Fantasy is a specific genre.  If the Little Pony fought Orcs had a Flaming Sword of Death and shot Arcane Missles from her eyes then she belongs in the Fantasy Genre.  If she had a blaster pistol, a Lightsaber and a starship she belongs in SciFi.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

They brought the Unreal 3 engine, not making their own

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2