Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVEMON New location

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
EVEMON moved to a new home:  EVEMON's new home

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• VanillacreamVanillacream Member Posts: 344

I am very interested in using this prog, but how "safe" is it? I really dont like the idea of giving my loggin and password.

PS.

And whats the differance of the 2 versions of the program? Cutting edge and normal...

• McgreagMcgreag Member UncommonPosts: 495

There is sourcecode availble, go thru it and make sure it's clean and then compile it yourself if you are paranoid.

Cutting edge seems to be the lastes beta version while normal is lates stable.

"Memories are meant to fade. They're designed that way for a reason."

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312
    its safe vanilla, The maker of the program is well known by CCP so any account hacking that could be traced would mean he would be banned(in gaming scamming ok, out of game hacking very bad) very fast. Besides that it is a open sourced program so if you want you can download the source code and check for any "odd" code paths, If your not that software savy ALOT of people who are have checked it to make sure it doesn't have a "bad" side effects.

As for the cutting edge version that the equivlant of a beta test for a new upgrade though at the current moment I believe that they are very similiar.
  • Drej_X_ArmyDrej_X_Army Member Posts: 151
    If you need to download a OUTSIDE program to play Eve, then you got REAL Issues. SO get off your lazy, fat buttucks, learnt he game, and play like a TRUE Human being. SO what if CCP allows it, did it come with Eve?? NO, then why download it?? MY opinion.
  • SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by Drej_X_Army
    If you need to download a OUTSIDE program to play Eve, then you got REAL Issues. SO get off your lazy, fat buttucks, learnt he game, and play like a TRUE Human being. SO what if CCP allows it, did it come with Eve?? NO, then why download it?? MY opinion.

You act like it's going to play the game for a person and give them an unfair advantage.  It's a character planner that makes other small things in the game easier to deal with.  It really has no negative effect on -your- gameplay whatsoever, yet you're certainly acting like it does.
  • fizzle322fizzle322 Member Posts: 723
    Third party proggies are lame IMO.

You should not have to use any third party app to play.

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Originally posted by fizzle322
    Third party proggies are lame IMO.You should not have to use any third party app to play.
    Wow, both of you just have no other arguments for trolling?
    It does not do anything you cant do with a pen & paper, but hey if you have dont know what the program does & have nothing else to say...
  • mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

WOah!  Drej_X_Army is....CLUELESS!   No worries, I'm sure there's going to be posts explaining what EVEmon is.

EVEmon allows you to check character progress and even "design" a character template based upon which ships and modules you would like to use some day.  What it des is creates a "path" and shows you the number of days your choices will take.  It has no effect upon the game in any way nor does it allow you to control anything would would normally be done ingame.  It simply monitors your character and allows you to have a "personalized sandbox" to better help you chose your characters progression.

EVE Monitor is a VERY helpful tool and any new player with the capacity to learn it will likely be a skillful character very eary on in EVE.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    remember CCP get some problems whit eve mon couse if u get a char on eve mon and u delete that char eve mon all the time try to get the xml data

BestSigEver :P

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

You obviously have no idea what the heck you're talking about.  All EVEMON is is a way to plan out when to train your skills to minimize your training time. 

LOL some people are entirely too uptight.

Sig image Pending

• mercostolmercostol Member Posts: 1
    Evemon is very helpfull, especialy if you can have a pc with net at work.
    It reminds you of how long until a skill ends, and also to program your training

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Anything EVEMON does you can already know in game with a little extra effort.  What EVEMON does is take the tedium out of it so you have a better idea what to train when, especially when you have a specific goal in mind.  For example, it's perfectly possible to go look up a Battleship in game, see what skills it requires, then back track and see what skills, if any, those have as pre-requisites.

However, it takes a little effort and a bit of time.

With EVEMON you just go to the ship browser, select the battleship and click 'add skills to plan' and it'll automatically see what you already have and tell you what you need to learn.

Saves time and effort.  It doesn't give you an advantage it just saves on the legwork.

It's no different than any char builder in any game ever.  The only real difference is that it's a lot better written than any of the ones you'll find for WoW or DAOC or what have you because it's able to pull character data in an XML Feed from the official EVE website because CCP allows, even encourages, players to pull their character data from the website to help them keep track of their training.

Bottom line it's a tool.  It doesn't play the game for you.  It doesn't make you better at playing the game.  It doesn't even tell you how to play the game.  All it does is show you what skills you should learn, in what order, to maximize your efficiency when training towards a given goal.

It's a phenomenal tool... nothing more.  One I highly recommend, especially to new players, but nothing more, or less, than a time management tool.

Sig image Pending

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384
    Woot!  Thanks for the Updated installer, btw!

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.