Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reason there are so many who 'bash' this game...

WoW is a good game.   A small proportion of those who have played it hate it for whatever reason.   Lets just say for the sake of argument that 1 out of 10 people who are playing it hate it.   That means there are over 500,000 people  out there who hate thist game.    Some games don't even have 500,000 people playing them, let alone 500,000 people hating them.

Comments

• zollenzollen Member Posts: 351
    I think people have a tendency to make out-of-proportion comments to
    make their points heard. The sad part is that others who read their
    comments, did not fliter out what irrelevant from what relevant.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

another reason people bash this game is because its built like a tonka truck.

Its easy to handle, its bright and flashy and it has no real depth of content from what you see on the outside.

A subset of people who "bash" the game and are experienced mmorpg vets from a decade or more of gaming and they've been there and seen it all...and they see this game to be battlenet 2006.

If i see one more "lolz ", "snap" or "oh noes" I'm gonna puke.

but you're right , a lot of ppl do play the game...a LOT.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575
    And 90% of the the people who play wow hasent played a mmo before.

Which meens its ex Counter-Strike geeks who plays bg all the time and think its fun.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• willrosewillrose Member Posts: 91

I think that WoW is an awesome game it ust repeats over and pver which can make people "hate it" but they really ok usally dont hate it they just are annoyed of doing it over and over. There for this is my view why people are bashing the game, but hey maybe im wrong.

• LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Wow is at best an average game especially considering many other mmo's on the market have moved on incresed graphics, introduced decent PvP. Added lots of new content.

WoW hasant till now after 2 years we got the deserts of dune with sandworms and a series of towers you ahve to capture with no real effect to the game.

Oh and it seems the grind hasant changed exept you now have to grind to level 70 and end up in the same situation as before grinding instances for special loot

I mean couldnt have they tried to change the endgame content.

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951

Another pointless thread about the same crap over and over.

I've been around the block, played my share of MMORPGs from 1995.  I know what to avoid.  I haven't and won't play this game just from all the stuff people have talked about... either good or bad, I'm staying away.

• atlaznboiatlaznboi Member Posts: 100

Originally posted by LordSlater

Wow is at best an average game especially considering many other mmo's on the market have moved on incresed graphics, introduced decent PvP. Added lots of new content.
    WoW hasant till now after 2 years we got the deserts of dune with sandworms and a series of towers you ahve to capture with no real effect to the game.
    Oh and it seems the grind hasant changed exept you now have to grind to level 70 and end up in the same situation as before grinding instances for special loot

I mean couldnt have they tried to change the endgame content.

why change something when its doing great atm. i bet they "could" but its doing very good now. so they wont bother changing the endgame now.

• WillowwhispWillowwhisp Member Posts: 32

I'm playing WoW presently (currently "/played" about 48 hours of the game) after playing over a year in Anarchy Online. Personally I think this game is fantastic and it isn't because I'm some blind "WoW Kiddie" who can't see flaws, I just personally think the good outweighs the bad by enough and think that, for now: money-for-value, that it's well worth it.

I think the reason so many people bash WoW is because it's an easy target, regardless of whether they've played it or not. There's a large majority of MMO gamers out there who'll agree with them so they have no need to feel out of place. The people who'll look down on them for not enjoying it are a minority if they exist at all, so they have no need to fear expressing their opinion publically (as compared to say, EVE, where if you don't like it "Your too stupid to understand it" regardless of what reason you choose to dislike it, and no, this isn't me taking a dig at EVE this is me taking a dig at the people who fling flak at those who don't like EVE).

Personally I think there's plenty of games out there which are worse, and there's probably plenty that are better. For me, WoW is like "Dude Where's my Car?" (just picking out a random film I enjoyed that many others hated). I don't think it's the Greatest Movie Ever, I probably won't go out of my way to watch it again, but I enjoyed watching it and thought it was a good giggle while it lasted. By the same token I don't think WoW is the Greatest MMO ever, once I leave I probably won't be back again, but I'm enjoying playing it right now and having a good giggle.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Originally posted by Trubaduren

Which meens its ex Counter-Strike geeks who plays bg all the time and think its fun.

Real CS players wouldnt touch a game like WoW.. the vast majority of the WoW players base are from the old Blizzard tittles.
  • jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by zollen
    I think people have a tendency to make out-of-proportion comments to
    make their points heard. The sad part is that others who read their
    comments, did not fliter out what irrelevant from what relevant.

Very well said! This topic should of been closed after this comment, hehe. Are you a psychology major by any chance?

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• HomiesliceHomieslice Member Posts: 156
    The reason I don't play the game is because i'm busy as hell and i don't want to be pressured to play because of teh monthley fee, this game is good but not worth the fee

Ya heard

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

According to the New York Times, it is "one of the most successful video games ever made."

check it out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/05/technology/05wow.html?hp&ex=1157515200&en=9d3b5750e6f5e8bc&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Mainly the article is a puff piece (more like advertising than reporting) but this qutoe I think makes the most sense:

"There were massively-multiplayer games before World of Warcraft, just as there were MP3 players before Apple’s iPod. Like the iPod, World of Warcraft has essentially taken over and redefined an entire product category."

In my opinon, I think that is the perfect analogy for what WoW is.

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

Banarama are in the Guiness Book or World Records as the most successful all-female group in history.

Personally i thought they were bloody awful and never bought one of their records.

I hope you can see the parallel :P

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by Tamalan

Banarama are in the Guiness Book or World Records as the most successful all-female group in history.
    Personally i thought they were bloody awful and never bought one of their records.
    I hope you can see the parallel :P

Fuck you man!!!

Banarama fucking ROCKED!!!

But all kidding aside...

Yes, popularity does not denote quality.  However, it is a damn good game for what it is.  Sure, it does nothing new for mmo genre, however it took all the good things from existing mmos and made it more accessible to the general population.

For example, when I started EQ, I became bored and confused quite early on.  If Blizzard did one thing right, it made quests that kind of make sense.  Much of EQ quests were just dead-end directions.  I was an mmo virgin and lets just say the deflowering process with EQ wasn't plesant.  Then I tried CoH.  While I really enjoyed the character customaztion, and the first 20 hours played...

again it got very dull and boring.

Whereas WoW is concerned, I've been playing it since release and I'm only getting bored in the last six months.  I still play, mainly re-roll after re-roll.  I have 3 60s (Druid, Hunter, Shaman) but grew bored of the classes a bit (except for hunter, but I grew weary competing for spots in guilds or groups due to it being such a dang popular class).

I've been playing my Warlcok (lvl 37 now) and enjoying the game very much again.  Mostly because there are no other viable options at the moment.  However, when TCoS, AoC, WAR, etc. come out, I'm sure I'll jump ship.

• Shrimp10Shrimp10 Member Posts: 275

Originally posted by Horashio

WoW is a good game.   A small proportion of those who have played it hate it for whatever reason.   Lets just say for the sake of argument that 1 out of 10 people who are playing it hate it.   That means there are over 500,000 people  out there who hate thist game.    Some games don't even have 500,000 people playing them, let alone 500,000 people hating them.

...What are you trying to say?   That everybody should like WoW?   No.   I play WoW fairly regularly, and I understand why people may not like it.

Best MMOs - RuneScape and WoW
    Crappiest MMOs - Hero Online, SWG, DDO
    MMO's played - RS, WoW, GW, EVE, AO, PlanetSide, Jumpgate, Face of Mankind, MapleStory, SO, Liniege 1 & 2, City of Villains, Flyff, Realm Online, SWG, Seed, Sims Online, City of Heroes.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    ----

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Precusor

Real CS players wouldnt touch a game like WoW.. the vast majority of the WoW players base are from the old Blizzard tittles.

No, Belive me, they are NOT!

I have played all from wc1 to wc3 tft. And It isnt often i meet someone that have even tryed those games.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

Pure speculation. Back up your assumption with some evidence please.

Here are some facts we DO know. 4.5 million of the total playerbase is Asian, Chinese, Korean etc. In Asia Blizzard games such as Starcraft and Warcraft are huge and this probably accounts for the huge numbers out there. Nethertheless, the way subscribers are counted in the far east means the numbers cannot be fully trusted.

That leaves just 2 million, 1 mil in the US and 1 mil in Europe. It has been a long time since Blizzard "claimed" to have 1 million US players or 1 million EU, so the actual number cannot be truly verified.

Some questions you need to ask:

How many current players does WoW have, in the US, EU, and Asia, based upon independent sources and not just Blizzard press releases?

How many current players, in the US, EU, and Asia hate the game?

How many players in each demographic have played WoW and quit?

How do the "quit" numbers compare to those currently playing?

How do the "hate the game" numbers compare to those that still love it?

Unless you can answer those questions you cannot possibly hope to know how many players truly hate WoW compared to those that love it. As to why people bash the game, well from reading various forums, especially the independent ones (since you cannot post on the official boards without an active sub) the overwhelming complaint seems to be the ENDGAME of WoW, and the lack of options beyond limited PvP and RAIDING.

• RinicRinic Member Posts: 715

Originally posted by Finduilas

Pure speculation. Back up your assumption with some evidence please.

Here are some facts we DO know. 4.5 million of the total playerbase is Asian, Chinese, Korean etc. In Asia Blizzard games such as Starcraft and Warcraft are huge and this probably accounts for the huge numbers out there. Nethertheless, the way subscribers are counted in the far east means the numbers cannot be fully trusted.

That leaves just 2 million, 1 mil in the US and 1 mil in Europe. It has been a long time since Blizzard "claimed" to have 1 million US players or 1 million EU, so the actual number cannot be truly verified.

Some questions you need to ask:

How many current players does WoW have, in the US, EU, and Asia, based upon independent sources and not just Blizzard press releases?

How many current players, in the US, EU, and Asia hate the game?

How many players in each demographic have played WoW and quit?

How do the "quit" numbers compare to those currently playing?

How do the "hate the game" numbers compare to those that still love it?

Unless you can answer those questions you cannot possibly hope to know how many players truly hate WoW compared to those that love it. As to why people bash the game, well from reading various forums, especially the independent ones (since you cannot post on the official boards without an active sub) the overwhelming complaint seems to be the ENDGAME of WoW, and the lack of options beyond limited PvP and RAIDING.

You're my hero.
  • nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    WoW gets bashed because:
    *Tradionalist mmorpgers prefer mmorpgs that are more social, more world-focused, pvp that has meaning.
    *It implemented a honor system which rewards people playing 14 hours a day to 'gank' people who have less time.
    *It opted for raiding at the endgame which not everyone enjoys.
    *It has a very poor forum community.
    *Forums are consistently down
    *It has server queues.
    *Frequent disconnections to people since cross server BGs
    *It has no problem with twinks with enchants that can kill someone in a few hits.
    *It allows mods which can more or less automate the game.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    Tiny e-peens.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• VoncliftonVonclifton Member Posts: 96

Does it really matter why some likes a game.  If they are having fun how does that hurt you.  Some people like to play mortal kombat.  I hate the game but im not going to think someone is dumb for playing it.  If you dont like a game thats cool, but why waste all that energy bitching about it?

Just my opinion

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I think its a good game but very shallow as a mmorpg and uses too many of the "stereotype" formulas to hold ppl post 60 ie raid ,raid and raid same place then after months of doing it offer a new "best" loot table to continue the process.

This is really EQ1 post 2001 solution to holding players and really i am kind of past that stage in a mmorpg.

But i can see how using loot to hold players to rinse and wash a zone x1000 works for newer players as i used to be like that once.

• HorashioHorashio Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Vertex1980

Another pointless thread about the same crap over and over.
    I've been around the block, played my share of MMORPGs from 1995.  I know what to avoid.  I haven't and won't play this game just from all the stuff people have talked about... either good or bad, I'm staying away.

I have to ask.   You haven't played it.  You won't play it.  

Why are you even on this forum?   Why did you bother posting on this thread?   Are you trying to get "elite user" status on mmorpg.com?

My point of the thread was just to express my opinion on why there are so many 'haters' out there.   It dawned on me that the people who like this game are busy playing it.   The people who hate it aren't playing it and are here... expressing thier opinions (which is thier right).  But you have taken sides without taking a look at the game yourself.   So if the people who are playing WoW are "sheep" following the sheperd, so what does that make  you for taking cues from the vocal minority?
  • Pappy55Pappy55 Member Posts: 45
    Go into pretty much any game forum and somone will say it sucks..

I have played way too many MMO's

UO (still my favourite)
    Horizons
    Everquest (free trial years ago)
    Everquest 2
    FFXI
    Guildwars (Beta)
    RF Online (Beta)
    Lineage 2
    Star Wars Galaxes (only NGE though )
    Anarchy Online
    World of Warcraft (about to give another try)
    WWII Online
    Archlord (currently in beta)

They all have their good and bad points. At the end of the day its whay game YOU like to play and mostly its what you make it.

I hate sprouts yet the rest of my family like them. It all comes down to personal preference.

• grinreapergrinreaper Member Posts: 507

WoW is a very nicely polished turd that had a built in audience of BNet kiddies and places where fricken Starcraft games have their own TV channels. Once it reached a certain critical mass the population basicly fed on itself. I agree with Koster when he said it has basicly set back the progress of MMO's by 10 years as every marketing retard in gameing will now try and chase 'WOW numbers' by dumbing down games and putting freaking ! over everyones head...almost every recent disaster in online gaming (I am looking at YOU, SWG!) can be traced back to this issue.

Thats why I bash this so-so game, because it is fucking up the curve for everyone else...and generally holding the rest of online gaming back.