Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: End-Game Review

Comments

• FulaxFulax Member Posts: 69

7.9 for endgame?

8 for graphics?

8 for fun?

8 for customer service?

8 for community? Have you ever visited the forums??

Is this a review for WoW's endgame or did I click on the wrong link?

• martinj63martinj63 Member Posts: 83

Wow....where to begin.

As much as I respect MMORPG.com they are really loseing creadibility having someone review a game with sucky customer service admit that it has sucky customer service then turns around and gives it an 8. Credibility guys...you know thats what its all about.

Now onto WoW itself Having followed WoW very closely, talking to DeV at E-3 and at Blizcon  I think I understand better than most what Bllizzards plans are in the future.

And to put it simply that is to make Non-raiders Raiders by  lowering the cap.  Yes this is an increadibly stupid idea but Jeffrey Kapplen is (how can I put this?)  "special, close , partners"   with a couple of the producers of WoW, and one of the Vevevndi represetatives....that basically was the real reason he got hired and that is why all the armor is starting to look like a Bob Macke's Nightmare, but  he's not goign anywhere. Right now they have Tom Chilton running interference for him due to his "This is my game if you don't like it quit" comment at comic con.

Its been said before but it is true it's not that WoW is a great game its a 1-59 grind fest then Raid or Die and  Raid or Die isn't going anywhere.  it is simply amazing to me that there isn't one single developer out there not makign a quest based game with decent fun dungeons that anyone can run that gives good loot and *gear (*thats dosen't look like Richard Simmons designed it)  as a reward. One game like that would have people leaving WoW in droves, and Blizzard knows it.  Personally I have stopped playign MMORPG's until one gets devloped by a company that dosen't hire it's girlfriends, boyfriends, or family memebers and puts them in charge of the project.

• DelemarreDelemarre Member Posts: 1

Heya,

I'm a level 60 human rogue in World of Warcraft, I'm the guy you'd see as an "epic player", but screw all that. I found out that WoW was more than only getting epics, getting yo skills/character to another level..

It's alot about the fun! It's the best game for making in-game fun movies, the game with the best end-game non-RP sence of humor. This is why I've been loving WoW more and more since I got to level 60.
    And sure, ye gotta get yer epics.., and sure, it's not always fun.. But especially when in a nice end-game guild you dont really care about epics anymore, but about achieving goals, having fun with your own community and with yer guild.

This is the only game that has ever achieved to interest me for such a long time (since EU beta's/first day WoW came out in EU), I'm still enjoying the game very much, I made alot of friends leveling to 60, and even more when at 60.
    I can't see me not doing this game at the moment, I just love it =)

Kind regards,

Moradim - 60 human Rogue - Executus

"God had a Soulstone"

• DelzoDelzo Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Interesting review...

He pretty much rips the WoW endgame in exactly the same way I would do it in words, and then proceeds to rate it with very generous 7's, 8's and 9's. I wonder if this is a new testbed for reviews...agree with the players in words to keep them happy, but pump up the numbers to keep the advertisers happy?

• FinduilasFinduilas Member Posts: 377

I started playing WoW on the second day of the EU release. Playing casually, 2-3 hours a night I hit 60 in just 4.5 months. after that there was only PvP or raids.

Due to the faction imbalance on my server 40 man Alterac was NEVER up, you could queue all night and not get in, not enough horde, and WSG was just a joke. CTF belongs in Counterstrike.

That leaves raiding. Bah. Whilst raiding now and then is fun, especially as a guild event, doing it ALL the time with no other progression path and no other play style sucked. Raiding was a grind, gaining faction was a grind, gaing PvP rep was a grind.

So I quit in September '05, when my sub ran out. I posted my opinion on the forums, official, and here, got flamed by the fanbois, but kept reading, hoping for a change of mindset form the devs.

A year later and almost nothing has changed, the very same complaints that I'd made are regularly repeated, but still not being addressed. Little to no solo, small group content at 60, what exists contains log boring grinds. Tons of content added for the raider type. Lots for the hardcore PvPer. A game build around gear, no real content added. Nothing for Casual players. Blizzard continues to point to the expansion as the answer.

Right now I'm not convinced.

• martinj63martinj63 Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Delzo
    Interesting review...

He pretty much rips the WoW endgame in exactly the same way I would do it in words, and then proceeds to rate it with very generous 7's, 8's and 9's. I wonder if this is a new testbed for reviews...agree with the players in words to keep them happy, but pump up the numbers to keep the advertisers happy?

That's pretty much it,  MMORPG lives or dies by the advertising dollars Developers give them, so you’re not going  to see them bite the hand that feeds them.  This is why the true voice of the gamers are the Independent review sites that isn't beholding to anyone.   I do miss the days of journalistic integrity though , that ended when the first developer said “No we won’t give you the inside scoop on our last game because you trashed  Diakatana  last week.”
  • BlackCaptainBlackCaptain Member Posts: 1
    Why so much hate for World of Warcraft? They refined the MMO proccess and will be refining it even more in the expansion. Trust me I've seen the new zones and mobs and they are amazing
  • VallenarVallenar Member Posts: 124

WoW's endgame is what made me leave the game.  The time it took to run a raid and get it organized just didn't fit into my busy schedule.  While I think WoW as a whole is a casual friendly the end game certainly isn't.

My suggestion to Blizzard would be to create more 5-10 man dungeons (which they are creating for the expansion so kudos to them).  Fix the PvP ranking system so gear is brought up to the level of raiding gear and make PvP gear easier to obtain.  And last but not least, fix the crafting system.  Make it so you can craft gear that is on par with both the PvP rewards and the raid rewards.  These "fix-it" ideas are take from the  Lord of the Rings Online.  Each of these features will be in game at release.  It's one of the major reasons why I will be picking it up in Spring of 2007.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by BlackCaptain
    Why so much hate for World of Warcraft? They refined the MMO proccess and will be refining it even more in the expansion. Trust me I've seen the new zones and mobs and they are amazing

Why the hate?  Because the gameplay experience has been in steady decline sinc launch.  I've seen the new crap too, and while it looks stunning, it will drop the gameplay off a cliff.  Soo... maybe we actually want to see game devs IMPROVE the game as time goes on.  Isn't that what we pay for?  Isn't that the one thing WOW does not deliver?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• ArrghArrgh Member UncommonPosts: 66

Battleground twinks are fun.

BG Forums

Come join us in Battlegroup 5.

• druarcdruarc Member Posts: 182

Ignoring the actual scores I'd say the review was pretty smack on target.

WoW is such a love hate relationship with so many people, if nothing else it has opened MMO's up to a much wider audience (I've made some new friends from it who now play other MMO's with me).

Please ignore any spelling or gramatical errors as I'm tired.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

while you showed the high points you did not hit on what people join, and soon quit wow for. playing to 60 is indeed a great bit of fun, what isnt fun is the end game grind to get the best gear, after all thats what all people want. blizzards business model is built around that next piece of "super cool" loot and the draw that keeps the unkowing coming back, call it whatever you like, you HAVE to raid to get the best stuff, and the producers have this business model nailed down, much like AOL and all the neat little things that keep folks flocking to it.

the bad points are this, put bluntly, customer service is NOT as great as the op review, if you in anyway, mistone your question, fail to properly context an opinion or place a negative light on something you see and report, customer service is very low. on the same hand, be bubbly, give laudatory comments, and brown nose the employees your petitioning too, you will see great service, forum boards are harshly patrolled, negative feedback is removed before any type of racist/bigot/foul mouth innuendos are. but thats the priority, the less bad thing people see the better off blizzard is.

pvp, with the laughable implementation of the new "outdoor" areas, jokes abound about this, all on the devs. pvp in genral is broken, with decay and the new crossover, que times are super short, and curves for points are through the roof, out of the reach of all save the ones with tons of time on there hands, pvp requires one thing, the best items you can lay your hands on, and only one way to do this, RAIDING. decay prevents the masses from attaining the mythical top spot blizzard thinks means something, in reality it doesnt, what it does do is makes a choke point for the "i play more than you crowd" again a poorly implemented idea, one has to ponder why so many keep at it with such restrictions.

the expansion is supposed to change things, we will see, in the meantime its the hopes of gaining that next great epic item that keeps folks in wow, until they (players) realize there is a better way, and force blizzard to listen, things will stay the same, and people will remain blissfully unawares of the storm that approaches......

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• LotsOfFnordsLotsOfFnords Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by graill
    while you showed the high points you did not hit on what people join, and soon quit wow for. playing to 60 is indeed a great bit of fun, what isnt fun is the end game grind to get the best gear, after all thats what all people want. blizzards business model is built around that next piece of "super cool" loot and the draw that keeps the unkowing coming back, call it whatever you like, you HAVE to raid to get the best stuff, and the producers have this business model nailed down, much like AOL and all the neat little things that keep folks flocking to it.
    the bad points are this, put bluntly, customer service is NOT as great as the op review, if you in anyway, mistone your question, fail to properly context an opinion or place a negative light on something you see and report, customer service is very low. on the same hand, be bubbly, give laudatory comments, and brown nose the employees your petitioning too, you will see great service, forum boards are harshly patrolled, negative feedback is removed before any type of racist/bigot/foul mouth innuendos are. but thats the priority, the less bad thing people see the better off blizzard is.
    pvp, with the laughable implementation of the new "outdoor" areas, jokes abound about this, all on the devs. pvp in genral is broken, with decay and the new crossover, que times are super short, and curves for points are through the roof, out of the reach of all save the ones with tons of time on there hands, pvp requires one thing, the best items you can lay your hands on, and only one way to do this, RAIDING. decay prevents the masses from attaining the mythical top spot blizzard thinks means something, in reality it doesnt, what it does do is makes a choke point for the "i play more than you crowd" again a poorly implemented idea, one has to ponder why so many keep at it with such restrictions.
    the expansion is supposed to change things, we will see, in the meantime its the hopes of gaining that next great epic item that keeps folks in wow, until they (players) realize there is a better way, and force blizzard to listen, things will stay the same, and people will remain blissfully unawares of the storm that approaches......

Dead on! This is what I meant when I wrote ...you fail to mention anything about the problems of PvP & PvE interacting. Glad to see someone is sharing the same perspective. You can go through countless reviews and still find nothing about this; a problem anyone participating in WoW's PvP should notice after a few minutes.

Great post!

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

well i ve just given up warcraft after a few months at level 60 for 3 main reasons

1 . the server i was on had a mirgration and know one suspected for a minuite that this would not be capped and those who stayed ended up on a low server . this basically kills ingame ecconmoics which at level 60 is important .if you find it hard to sell rare and epic drops whats the point .

2.blizzard introduced new rouge talents which essentially made the class superpowered compared to other classes which made pvp redundant .

3.i  complained about gold farmers i saw in the game along with a lot of fellow guild members over a number of months .these farmers tend to be in one place almost 24/7 . to this point very little seams to have been done about it . which brings the poor state of customer support to light .these gold farmers are aggressivly taking over whole areas of the game in pvp servers.

in general i d say its been fun . but blizzard seam to make poor in game management decisions and quite frankly thier customer support is literally non existant . quite frankly when something comparable comes out theres a hell of a lot of players who are looking to jump ship .

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

in other news rain is wet.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Battleground queues are no longer a problem, hasn't taken me more than 5 minutes to get into AB or WSG ever since 1.12

Might wanna edit this into the review, since its kinda misleading to people who look at WoW as a possible PVP game

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Dark_Mage54Dark_Mage54 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    i disagree with the customer service rating. my guild wiped on rag b/c he didnt submerge when the sons apeared and owned us with knock back AoE's. then the next try he bugged completely out and never re-emerged after the sons were killed and was immune to all attacks except for taunt like affects. after almost 2 hours of waiting the GM replied with an automated response pretty much saying "tough luck, try again in 30 minutes and dont talk to me!" (was automated so you couldnt reply!). worst customer service i have ever had.

-----------------------
    To Kill or Be Killed?

• dwnmp3dwnmp3 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Bigx

Originally posted by Minsc

Originally posted by dwnmp3
    I do not agree with the majority of this thread. It seems like the whole spin on this is your complaining about the grind at least 12 or more times. For the pvp grind you can get almost instant ques during that battlegrounds double honor weekend. I myself went from honored to exalted this weekend with AV. And quite simply if you want any gear in the game you have to repeat all the instances its nothing really only 60s have to deal with. At least with the end game instances there are more bosses such as Black Rock Spire having almost literally two parts. Black Rock Depths itself is quite a large instance. I mean what do you expect? Just because your level 60 all your gear is going to drop all at once so you never need to do the instance again? That kinda ruins the whole idea of the gear being wroth anything.

Also you complain about the 40 man raids. I somewhat feel you are not qualifyed to attempt to review them at all basically from your screenshots it looks like you have never done them. The 40man raids are a testament to a guilds power and teamwork and cohesiveness. And off course if all the gear were to drop at once then whats the point. It makes you feel good when you can say you have 4/8 prophecy knowing how hard it can get. The 40 man raids promote teamwork and just plain skill I mean wow is not hard to play but to do some of the encounters you do need to pay attention.

I think the basis for this review was pretty much a bad player who could not get into a raiding guild having to attempt to tarnish World of Warcraft. I' am assuming in order to review something you have to experience it so please don't review a game you haven't finished yet.

And the graphics considering we are comparing World of Wacraft to other games not just in general. First thing that comes to mind is CoV which if we were comparing graphics in general while taking the customization into consideration I belive World of Warcraft makes CoV and the majority of other mmos look like an early version of Crash Bandacoot in comparison.

Not to mention in one of his screenies he says "How do you get a screen without the bars is it tab" with tab being a very important button to get to the next mob and him not knowing what it does. And considering that almost everytime you log in it may say hey press and hold alt z for a cool pic. Just further proves this is just a noob complaing about not being able to get into a raiding guild and getting any good gear.

The problems is that they made the gear so all-important in the first place. It's bad for gameplay, especially PVP.

I have to agree. They made gear number one thing to get.  Wow is a awesome game from 1 to 59 then the game takes a turn.  The pvp is so basic and they seem to lack the ability to do it.  Game been over 1.5 years and still the same 3 bg.  I am exualted in AB and WSG and revered in AV.  Even the rep rewards lack what pve end game instances do.  Blizzard seems to care about the end game instances and everything else is 2nd.  World pvp was a joke.  I dont know anybody that even does it.  4 basic towers to defend and a buff for a reward.  Even with low lvl bg 10 to 19 is all about who has the best enchants.  Lvl 19 can wear a lvl 60 enchant.  The saying is wow is Raid or Quit.  I do like the game but I do not raid and therefore have to relie on gear from rank and rep rewards.  There is no real compatition for wow as of yet.  Mid next year I can see that changing and infact I will leave as well to do the WAR thing.

If you have ever seen some pvp movies such as World of RogueCraft or World of Paladincraft or Seksi's priest video they do pvp with no gear on at all and still kick ass. Gear is not important folks! It just helps.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=26540

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=7940

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=6140

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=7433

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=22441

Once more its all about skill.
  • Parsifal57Parsifal57 Member Posts: 267
    I agree with the written review however, the comments made in the summary regarding Gameplay, Customer Service etc. do not seem to tie in with the overly generous ratings given. To say you are unhappy with customer service and then give them a score of 8 instead of a 5 or 6 seems a little odd.

If the scores more reflected the actual text i'd be more inclined to accept this 'review' as unbiased as it is the review seems to be attempting to please the people who have issues with WoW's end game in the comments, whilst keeping Bilzzard/Vivendi happy with ratings that are not reflective of the comments made.

At the End of the day people will look at the overall score of 7.9 and not review too deeply the comments made and this will lead them to different conclusions than the written ones by the reviewer.

• Nan0starNan0star Member Posts: 10

I have been playing wow for nearly a year now and have been lucky that I had friends in a high-end instance raiding guild. If I had not been able to join this guild I would not have been able to get the epic gear I have as it is difficult to get into a guild doing BWL,AQ40 and Naxx with out experiance. So in away high level end game raiding can still be difficult to get access to so all is left at end-game level is PVP which is not for everyone.

The main problem at the moment with the game is the many gold farming and battleground honor farming bots appearing on all the servers. This has been happening now for several months and nothing has been done about by the games masters on the server realms. Blizzard have said that they are looking into it but have not done anything to stop this. This is now affecting the economies of many realms and has made it harder for new level 60's to gather the resources and gold to enable them to get the gear to start the doing the end game instances.

• I can't see how you can give 8 for fun and community when many many people find it excruciating.  I hate raiding and I liked the rest of WoW.  The end game is awful and it has serious detrimental effects on other parts of the game. 

To me 8 says pretty good, defintately worth buying.  Considering this very aspect of the game actually drives many customers away, an 8 is ridiculous.  Completely unjustifiable.  I am disappointed in this review it seems like fluff.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Originally posted by dwnmp3

If you have ever seen some pvp movies such as World of RogueCraft or World of Paladincraft or Seksi's priest video they do pvp with no gear on at all and still kick ass. Gear is not important folks! It just helps.

Once more its all about skill.

Skill has some part in those movies, but naked fights are staged and have nothing to do with the reality of WoW, gear is everything, and only way you could win naked is if you were fighting a braindead person, but braindead has dificulty getting to 60, so it's a no go. Maybe Shadowpriest could fight naked but I don't wanna mess with the SP or I could get my face melted!

• bombmonkeybombmonkey Member Posts: 2

I think once the new BIG BIG BIG patch comes out the game will be at the top of MMORPGs.

There was even a story about it in the NY times

• OmolOmol Member Posts: 332

Originally posted by docminus
    i guess i can agree with most of your comments - although I would give the contents part a 6 actually. doing the same dungeon over and over and over again for some epics that will be more or less obsolete with the upcoming expansion? come on.

and when it comes to the not so long anymore logon queues: I wonder if that isn't because many "vet" players have simply quit/paused....

The ques are pretty much gone if your lvl 60, but that dont mean much of anything if your PvPing to get the rewards. Sure It makes it faster to get the reputation rewards but it is even more of a grind now that there are pretty much limitless BGs for the farmers to farm honor in.

You thought the grind was something before to get the epic set gear for the class, it has become even worse now. Usually you could get by with 40-50k a week for honor, now it is taking over 100k+ to move much in rank.

Thats not to mention that it is almost impossible to pug WSG/AB anymore at 60 due to the epic premade groups going around and steamrolling those with out that type of gear.

----------------------------
    Omol da'Ox

• desperado568desperado568 Member Posts: 17
    I personally have to disagree with this re-review.  Although the graphics and sound and such are exceptional in this game, you really have to ask the question "what's the point?"  The end-game content is based around the idea of getting better gear for pvp, yet the pvp system itself offers no rewards and essentially is broken and becomes a grind in itself.  A storyline that you play is essentially non existent (this is not saying there is no storyline to the game, I accept the fact that WoW has an extensive back story; however, the gameplay is a grind in the end, and whatever story it does follow is not all that apparent) presenting the player with a game that truly is not an rpg, but more like an action game that you push buttons to complete.  The game does not deserve a fun score of an 8, but of a 6 or lower, and the value should be dropped to far lower numbers, i would say a 4.  Once you hit 60 the game is over.