Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if they reinstate the draft??

freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775

I just got through reading Reavo's post on how he thinks our government might reinstate the draft.

How do you think the young men and women of this country will react if such a thing happens?

Outrage? Complacency? Rioting? Will people burn their draft cards like they did in Vietnam? Will people step up to the challenge and fulfill their patriotic duty?

It's really hard for me to make a guess given the fact that most people don't like the war, yet no one seems willing to do anything about it.  I guess in my own cynical way, I think that people will go along with it.  There might be some outcry but those people will be immediatly disregarded as "librhuls" or whatever terms people use to pigeonhole others.

So what do you think??

==========================

Comments

• Vertex1980Vertex1980 Member Posts: 951
    I'm a convicted felon, I wouldn't go... YAY crime!

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

What will I do? Learn to (barely) play the guitar.

One two three what are we fighting for?

Don't ask me I don't give a damn. Next stop is Iran.

Five six seven open up the pearly gates. Ain't no time to wonder why WHOOPEE we're all going to die.

Probably lost 95% of the people with that reference.

There won't be a draft. The military likes it's volunteers and doesn't want one. Having a draft would be a guaranteed seat loser so politicians don't want it.

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Vertex1980

Awsome, what'd you do?

I'd take acid, it says in your spine for up to 50 years, and they do not allow those that fail the drug test to join :P
  • LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

Originally posted by freethinker

How do you think the young men and women of this country will react if such a thing happens?

If todays youth are anything like my teenage brothers and sisters- we are in trouble.  They are so spoiled; one day without the cell phone and life ends.  I would wager the first time their nails broke, mental breakdown would occur. I can see it now- a platoon of metro-sexual spoiled cheer-leader men and women charging into battle with camo flip-flops. 

Im still draftable, i guess, but I swear- i grew up in another world than kids these days.

Lath

• WiruWiru Member Posts: 23
    meh...i guess i would be in the army then. rofl

I would just hope I went through a few years of college first, that way I would join the army with a few ranks atleast.  Then I would start a secret society inside of the army to overthrow the president.

Originally posted by Xexima

Originally posted by Vertex1980
    Awsome, what'd you do?

I'd take acid, it says in your spine for up to 50 years, and they do not allow those that fail the drug test to join :P

I must of taken over 100 hits of acid in my time.  I'm fine.

To be honest, I wrote some bad checks.  Hasn't everyone bounced a check or 3?  Gotta love federal laws...  The ONLY way to test for LSD is to do a spinal tap, and those are sooooo hard to do without fucking up, so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118
      I'd go visit some friends in Canada. 

Fighting a war I don't believe that was created by an incompetant leader playing grab-ass with the world is not my idea of serving to protect the values of my home and country.

You get any time?

• freethinkerfreethinker Member UncommonPosts: 775
    just tell them you're a male hairdresser looking for some hot man-on-man action.

/not trying to start another homosexual thread or anything

==========================

Originally posted by Xexima
    You get any time?

Nope.  Just had to pay it all back, but it's Larceny 3, which is a felony.  Which has gotten me out of a lot of fun government things... like jury duty a few times.  :)

Also, since it deals with money, it's difficult to get work.  Even Mc Donalds didn't want to hire me. 

That's the only thing I've ever been in trouble for, but they treat me like I shot, rape and killed a small city.  I love people for thinking everyone is evil if you have a felony.

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

First off, I highly doubt they'll reinstate the draft.  Support for the war and the Bush administration in general is so low right now that I don't think they're quite stupid enough to do something that drastic.

That said, if they ever DID reinstate the draft, there would deffinitely be riots in the streets across the nation.  Some people (most people) would be passive and basically just say there's nothing they can do about it, but others would go just as crazy as they did in Vietnam.  Personally, I don't know what I'd do if I were drafted.  I'm passive enough that I most likely wouldn't do anything about it, and I'd be shipped out.  Hopefully I'd be pretty far down the list though, because if my memory serves me correctly college students tend to get picked last or close to last.

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154

If they reinstate the draft would they finally let us gays fight for our country?

I don't really understand why they won't let us homosexuals fight against radical Islam anyway.  If you think about it, it all makes sense to let us battle them.  I mean, can you imagine the disgrace placed on a bunch of Muslim terrorists when they get their asses kicked by a unit of fags?  The western world could rub that in their faces for centuries to come.

How's that for freedom over fascism? 

--------------------------------------
    image image

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    It won't be reinstated.  Not because of how today's kids feel about it, but how their campaign-donor / voting parents feel about it.  A real draft impacts a completely demographic and political spectrum than the volunteer military does, and Congress knows it.

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

I'm wondering wtf is going on over there.  I watched the news today and saw reports on all the news channels (including Fox News) that things are getting worse.  Yet our president and his administration keeps telling us things are getting better.

What is George Bush expecting us to believe?  That Iraq is a controlled burn or something?  Sure, he can put the lid on it anytime he wants to.  But right now, I guess he doesn't feel like it???? 

• PantasticPantastic Member Posts: 1,204

I seriously doubt congress would reinstate the draft; from what I've read the military absolutely doesn't want to deal with it and it would be incredibly unpopular. The current unpleasantness in Iraq is not very unpopular where it counts, while starting to draft people would bring out some serious opposition.

What would be interesting is that if they did implement the draft, how would they deal with the gay issue? Back in Vietnam times, being openly gay was a very bad idea pretty much anywhere; you'd have a hard time moving on with a normal life and lots of families would disown you for it. Today though, it's just not nearly as big of a deal. You can certainly get a job and lead a normal life if you had some gay experiences, and in a lot of states it's even illegal to discriminate for it. That means that all anyone has to do to avoid the draft is say "Excuse me, while I kiss this guy". Sure, guys aren't as casual about it as girls, but you give someone (especially liberal types, who are most likely to want to avoid a draft) the choice between kissing another guy or spending 4-8 years being shot at in some hellhole and the picture changes.

I think that currently the military won't take in people who are on pretty much any psych drugs also, which seems to open another avenue of avoiding it. "Nope, I'm clinically depressed/have ADD/have OCD and I'm taking this perscription, not eligible". Back in the 70s, psyochoactive drugs were pretty stigmatized and most of what was availible was either sedatives or things that would really mess you up, but today doctors routinely perscribe medications and it's not considered very bad to be on them.

It would be rather interesting to see what happens, though I hope not to have the chance to observe (I'm out of any likely draft age anyway).

• bas1889bas1889 Member UncommonPosts: 123

they wont reinstate the draft ever again, unless theres another huge world war...but if they did, i would have no problem fighting for our country.

and the media is always anti war reavo...

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Instead of the draft, how about this swell idea....its advice I wish I could have given my dad 22 years ago...

PULL THE HELL OUT!!

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• cornoffcobcornoffcob Member Posts: 860

Originally posted by bas1889

You know that is bs. Right after 9/11 it was all "kill the terrorists! invade afghanistan! The terrorists are in Iraq? invade iraq too!"

is the media liberal based? yes
    always anti war? no

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

they wont reinstate the draft ever again, unless theres another huge world war...but if they did, i would have no problem fighting for our country.

That's such a copout. 

Are you going to deny that things are getting worse in Iraq?  You've got officers over there talking about how much worse it's getting.  You've got Iraqi civilian casualty reports that are increasing in frequency all the time.  What, do you just ignore that?

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• bas1889bas1889 Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by porgie

That's such a copout. 
    Are you going to deny that things are getting worse in Iraq?  You've got officers over there talking about how much worse it's getting.  You've got Iraqi civilian casualty reports that are increasing in frequency all the time.  What, do you just ignore that?

perhaps :O

That's such a copout.
    Are you going to deny that things are getting worse in Iraq? You've got officers over there talking about how much worse it's getting. You've got Iraqi civilian casualty reports that are increasing in frequency all the time. What, do you just ignore that?

atleast argue it out so not to' give republicans a bad name.

I hope some day we can all put aside our racisms and prejudices and just laugh at people

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by cornoffcob

That's such a copout.
    Are you going to deny that things are getting worse in Iraq? You've got officers over there talking about how much worse it's getting. You've got Iraqi civilian casualty reports that are increasing in frequency all the time. What, do you just ignore that?

To late for that.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Originally posted by Spathotan

Originally posted by cornoffcobOriginally posted by bas1889Originally posted by porgie That's such a copout. Are you going to deny that things are getting worse in Iraq? You've got officers over there talking about how much worse it's getting. You've got Iraqi civilian casualty reports that are increasing in frequency all the time. What, do you just ignore that?perhaps :O
    To late for that.

i know but i'm trying to lure him in so shhhhh

• xxSymphonyxxxxSymphonyxx Member Posts: 194
    heres this.

if they reinstate the draft.

refuse.

and just say no to risking your life for a cause you do not believe in.

it's just...kinda old now isn't it.