Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new public school dress code.

Ok, well i go to a public highschool near boston, going into the 11th grade and there is a new dress code mainly for males saying that baggy jeans and long shirts are no longer allowed in school, using the exscuse that they can be used to get guns and weapons into school. We now have to even have our shirts tucked in. To make this clear, there has never been a shooting stabbing, or anybody killed in my school. I do live in a urban neighborhood filled with gangs and violence and such but there has never been nothing more then a pain ol' fist fight in my school. But im posting this here to see what you guys think about this and to find out if they are able to even do this to kids that go to public schools. Is there anyway i can fight this? Using a law or something as a defense?

Comments

• noname12345noname12345 Member Posts: 2,267
    Drop out of school, pass the GED test (easy as pie), and YAY no more high school. Problem solved.

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118
         Not really, just suck it up. I'm in an urban MA area (Worcester), went to public school for grades K-8, and then started private school in 9th (currently in 11th grade, just like yourself). My school's dress code is: Dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes, a belt, shirt tucked in, all buttons buttoned, a tie, no ankle socks, hair must be cut short, and cannot touch the collar, ears, or eyebrows, and you must be clean-shaven everyday. Sounds like it sucks, right?

Other than the extra 5 min it adds to the time I spend getting dressed, not really. Why? Think of this; if you're all dressed in the relatively same way, then you can't really be judged by appearance only, now can you? Nobody is going to see and you think the usual stereotypes: "Hmmm, is this kid a wigger/emo/goth/stoner/hippie/nerd?". It doesn't happen.

So really, a shorter shirt, and shorter pants is really a MINOR change. You're not "sacrificing your individuality" as everyone seems to think with a dress code. You're not really changing much, and it really only effects those that would normally wear that clothing style, which I assume you do. The only reason that's going down is because they're hoping it'll make the schools more safe. And although YOUR school may not have had a stabbing/shooting/violence-related death, plenty of schools, ESPECIALLY in the Boston area, do.

Just suck it up dude, it's not that bad.
  • PotamushippoPotamushippo Member Posts: 10

I remember the stories my Grandmother had told me about back in the day.  They were required to wear a school uniform and she really enjoyed it.  I forgot how often but for a week or two they would have to turn them in for cleaning and could wear what they wanted.  Now you think that's great but her family didn't have much back then.  They had to wear dresses sewn out of the burlap potato sacks and such while other girls would be dressed to kill since they had money.

Anyways it might not be what you were looking for but just some food for thought.  Interesting to see dress codes or school uniforms from a different perspective and how the times have changed.  In this case the school seems to be taking the precaution of better safe than sorry.  As lame as it is may seem I'm sure it could definitely be worse with some schools having you walk through metal detectors etc...

On a funny note I got fired from a work place for not tucking my shirt in but that's another story.

Edit - Funny that I would be typing a similar response compared to your post Murais but good advice.

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625
    Welcome to real life (is school supposed to help prepare you for that at all?) ... your employer probably won't let you wear whatever comes into your head either.

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

I know you hate hearing this, but when you get older you'll understand why there are uniforms in school.  I remember when I was young and would have thought the same way as you do, but they are a good idea. 

You've just got to wear the uniform in school.  You're free to wear whatever at home and on your down time.

Besides that, why would anyone want to dress like they just got out of prison in the first place? 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• WiruWiru Member Posts: 23

I know what you guys are saying but school is school and all us teenagers in highschool know that a job is much different then school. Shit, most of us already have a job and we know that at your job you have to dress a certain way because most of the time you are dealing with people and have to look a certain way. At school where there so the teachers can teach us, and i say let us be comfortable and dress the way we want and worry about more important things, like maybe how to get us up to date computers instead of junk computers passed down to us from the boys and girls club and books that arnt ripped and missing covers, instead of being concerned how we dress.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718
    We had dress codes in school. In 11th grade we had to wear a belt and have shirt tucked. 12th grade was no shirt tucked in. I don't sag my pants though. I find it that a lot of girls find it unattractive.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• affreuxaffreux Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, suck it up!
    Who cares.
    Do you really like it when your ass looks that huge anyways? :(!

Deal with it
    or go to a school out of that district.

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X
     I find it that a lot of girls find it unattractive.

We do!
  • XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    Schools requiring kids to wear uniforms is stupid.  We are required to go to school by law, that means that by law we would have to pay for a uniform, and that would defeat the purpose of school being a free institution.  If the schools were to provide uniforms, 1) it would cost them taxpayers dollars, and 2) that would mean they would have to replace the uniform whenever someone grows out of it, rips it, or stains it.  Stupid.

To the OP:
    At my school they are becoming stricter than the nazi party about "dress code violations."  One of my pants has a hole the size of  a penny in it on the shin area, and one of the principles told me I had to go home and get changed because of it. They called my mom, and she laughed at them and hung up.

I ended up just walking out of the school and walking back in the other door ...
    This is all because our new head principle is a hard core conservative redneck that somehow managed to become a principle.

Oh, and right now in arlington they are trying to pass a bill to make it ILLEGAL to wear pants below the belt line.

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422
    Ya, get over it.  If the worst thing you have to put up with all day is wearing a school uniform then you are doing pretty good.  Tuck in your shirt, pull up your pants and go to class.  When you are on your own time then you can wear whatever you want.  Personaly, I think school uniforms should be mandatory in all schools, not just in urban areas where there is more crime.  Kids are too easily distracted by goofy crap like Nikes and Fubu jackets.  I don't have a problem with these things, mind you.  Just not in the classroom.

• WiruWiru Member Posts: 23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nasiscoming.jpg

The guy in that pic isnt me but thats exactly how my pants look on me and most kids that ware "baggy" pants...now does that look too baggy? Does that look exseptable?

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Get a GED....unless you plan on being top 10 in your high school. You could imediately enroll in college if thats what you planned on. If not, you can go ahead and get a job like anyone with a normal HS diploma would.

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

You f*cking whiney american's. What the hells the problem? At least you still have SOME freedom. Us brits have strict and exact uniform in almost all schools, and jeez, we're not even allowed piercings generally (by the way, if your school - to all the brits this is - allows you to have more than single ear piercings, they're actually breaking the law! Interesting eh?)... You shouldn't be whining, you shouldn't be fighting it. They have legitimate concerns anyway - though yes, it is probably just a guise for making you look smarter... But christ, where's the problem?! Just dress as they ask, but push the boundaries a bit each day to let them know who's pulling the strings, and the second you're out of school, get your baggy jeans and untucked shirts back on... What exactly were you planning on doing when you left school and got a job? Taking your restaurant manager to court because he wanted you to wear a bow-tie?! Taking the boss of your office to court for making you wear a smart-casual suit?! Either do what they say or just cry more in a corner, somewhere dark where I don't have to hear about it ^^

Oh and btw, Columbine had a very low history of violence, and no reports of knife/gun crime within its gates. NYC hadn't been bombed before 9/11. Precedent has no case here, it's completely imaterial, as this is about closing routes for such activity to happen in the first place. Have some sense.

Originally posted by Xexima

Oh, and right now in arlington they are trying to pass a bill to make it ILLEGAL to wear pants below the belt line.

Now THAT is just f*cking cool... I'd cry with laughter if that got through....
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

We were allowed to wear suits in Six Form.

I used to think discipline in schools was pointless to.

Now I realise it's not. Not every student responds to freedom and the ability to choose their own path. A good number of them chose to do nothing in particular, and don't respect their schools and their teachers for the benefits of education they are recieving. It's very easy when you are in the middle of that kind of life and never known any different to take it for granted. And not see it in it's full perspective.

Discipline, even in dress is important to structure the pupil-teacher-school relationship, for those students that need it. You might personally not be one that does, but if you aren't, you will easily recognise the need anyway.

Learning how to maintain and wear formal attire is another skill a school should teach you. There is more to learn from school than how to pass exams.

When I was 16 and 17 I hated it too. Uniform and enforced dress sense reaffirms your social postion in society. One I did not agree with.

Unfortunately if you are a student, your social position is the lowest of the low and you might not like to be reminded of it.

Originally posted by Khuzarrz

You f*cking whiney american's. What the hells the problem? At least you still have SOME freedom. Us brits have strict and exact uniform in almost all schools, and jeez, we're not even allowed piercings generally (by the way, if your school - to all the brits this is - allows you to have more than single ear piercings, they're actually breaking the law! Interesting eh?)... You shouldn't be whining, you shouldn't be fighting it. They have legitimate concerns anyway - though yes, it is probably just a guise for making you look smarter... But christ, where's the problem?! Just dress as they ask, but push the boundaries a bit each day to let them know who's pulling the strings, and the second you're out of school, get your baggy jeans and untucked shirts back on... What exactly were you planning on doing when you left school and got a job? Taking your restaurant manager to court because he wanted you to wear a bow-tie?! Taking the boss of your office to court for making you wear a smart-casual suit?! Either do what they say or just cry more in a corner, somewhere dark where I don't have to hear about it ^^

Oh and btw, Columbine had a very low history of violence, and no reports of knife/gun crime within its gates. NYC hadn't been bombed before 9/11. Precedent has no case here, it's completely imaterial, as this is about closing routes for such activity to happen in the first place. Have some sense.

You sir, make me once again able to admit I belong to the current teenage generation. Thank you for restoring my hope in my peers.
  • KuzzleKuzzle Member Posts: 1,058

Yeah, that sucks. They have a stricter dress code at my school now, as well, but it was put into place the year after I started going there. I would say my sophomore year, but that's inaccurate, and I'm not going to open the can of worms that is how badly they screwed me over.

Anyway, at my school, people aren't allowed to have their shoulders showing. Ok, yeah, most guys don't have a problem with that, but plenty of girls wear clothes that infringe on this. Not at the school anymore, but you get what I mean... I mean, they're shoulders! And they say it's so kids aren't distracted.  They also won't let girls wear V-necks, or anything that shows skin between the bottom of the shirt/blouse and the top of the pants/skirt... I don't know how to spell "mid-drift", or however it's spelled. How sad is that? Crazy... I mean, it's not like the faculty never wore shirts that showed cleavage. I still don't know what that sub's tattoo was of...

They have no problem, though, with kids wearing shirts that advertise their churches. One kid was walking around in a shirt with a huge cross on it that said something like "Come on down to the Such-And-Such house of worship!" ...Pissed me off. I mean, how is that not more distracting than a shoulder? Public school! Yet, last year, they had an ad for a religious event that was taking place on school grounds(Not during school hours, but still...) on the damn marquee! ...Ok, I know the last bit wasn't dress code related, but it just shows that the priorities of the faculty are misplaced.

Oh, and if they told me to wear a tie, I'd take that tie, hold the VP down, and choke him with it. Ok, well, maybe not, since there's a new VP this year, and I didn't have a big problem with the last one... And since I'm not that crazy, but... The point is, I have ties/scarfs/turtlenecks/anything that puts pressure on my neck. Agh!

I don't wear my pants down around my ass because I think it looks dumb, and a little ridiculous, but I can understand where you're coming from. Oh, funny story, though: One time, my brother(Who wears his pants like that.) and I went up to pick up a pizza, and when he was paying for it, the lady dropped a bunch of change on the ground. Well, the both bent down to pick it up, and my brother was turned away from the lady... Apparently his boxers slipped, 'cuz his bare ass was about four inches away from the lady's face. It was all I could do to not bust out laughing! Ah, that was funny...

• XeximaXexima Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Dyrtt
    Ya, get over it.  If the worst thing you have to put up with all day is wearing a school uniform then you are doing pretty good.  Tuck in your shirt, pull up your pants and go to class.  When you are on your own time then you can wear whatever you want.  Personaly, I think school uniforms should be mandatory in all schools, not just in urban areas where there is more crime.  Kids are too easily distracted by goofy crap like Nikes and Fubu jackets.  I don't have a problem with these things, mind you.  Just not in the classroom.

No, kids are not easily distracted by these things.  What do you have to prove it? Just because you think they look goofy doesnt mean they distract people.

These things are only excuses for why people do badly in school.  If you want to know the real reason, it is because they don't give a damn.  Uniforms are just another way to make people fit into they way you feel they should be.

I know if you are at a paying job you should dress appropriately to make the company you are representing look good.  But we are not representing our schools.  If we were paying to go to the school, such as private ones, then we might be entitled to represent it, but we are not.

Originally posted by Wiru

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nasiscoming.jpg
    The guy in that pic isnt me but thats exactly how my pants look on me and most kids that ware "baggy" pants...now does that look too baggy? Does that look exseptable?

That actually looks okay.
    Look at his ass though.
    It's flabby and lifeless, like an old man.
    : (

Originally posted by Murais 
       You sir, make me once again able to admit I belong to the current teenage generation. Thank you for restoring my hope in my peers.

Hummm.... Maybe it's because it's 1am... But I really have NO IDEA what you meant by this :P Can you explain for me? :P
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

No, kids are not easily distracted by these things.  What do you have to prove it? Just because you think they look goofy doesnt mean they distract people.

These things are only excuses for why people do badly in school.  If you want to know the real reason, it is because they don't give a damn.  Uniforms are just another way to make people fit into they way you feel they should be.

I know if you are at a paying job you should dress appropriately to make the company you are representing look good.  But we are not representing our schools.  If we were paying to go to the school, such as private ones, then we might be entitled to represent it, but we are not.

That's right. Only in this case it's not "random people" it's students and the purpose of schools is to teach them them how to fit into society. To equip them with the skills and disciplines they need to participate.

You don't get to "chose" to represent. You represent because someone who knows better than you tells you to. The sooner you work this out, the wiser you will become.

The reason your teachers get paid, is because you don't know very much. Recognise this, and then try to work out why they do and say the things they do and say so that you might learn from them. This is the humble art of a student.

Be like Grasshopper in Kung Fu.

Originally posted by Dyrtt

But the thing is, why don't they give a damn? They don't give a damn because they believe in their minds, that there are better things they could be doing. Like getting some new Nike's after school, or how hot that chick in the tight pink shirt is.

Dress codes normally eliminate a good chunk of IMMEADIATE distractions, such as the ones I've listed above. My school has a dress code, is a private school, and is not co-ed (male only). We have some of the highest academics, sports, and drama results in the state. Why? Limited distractions. Once we're out, we see our girlfriends, we go out and eat with friends, we go to parties, etc. But when we're in the classroom, we do what needs to get done. When it's quite literally the only thing you have to do, you get it done.

It comes to a matter of faults here, which you need to realize. You're a teenage boy. You have a lot of other things on your mind. Think about how you could concentrate strategically. Eliminate your distractions. That's what dress codes do. And they do it effectively.

Originally posted by Khuzarrz

Originally posted by Murais 

Hummm.... Maybe it's because it's 1am... But I really have NO IDEA what you meant by this :P Can you explain for me? :P

Easy, I'm 16. Other 16 year olds piss me off. They piss me off because of their twisted views on the world. You do not, because you actually have a clue. I thought this breed of teenager did not exist, and you have proved me wrong. Thank you.

Go figure... I always assumed that if 3 of my school's buildings are razed by a group of teens from the neighbouring school during school hours (or outside of in fact) we have every right to associate them with that school... They attend that school... They're taught by that school's teachers... More importantly, they are the responsibility of that school for all of the time they are in that school. Like it or not, you ARE a representative of your school. But this is beside the point anyway...

"What do you have to prove it?" I can prove it pretty well enough in fact. Come over to Britain and visit our schools. We have something called 'Mufty Days.' These are days where there is no uniform code (within reasons... ie. you can't break the law with what you're wearing). Everyone has their brand new Vans on, with their jeans so low they cover them up entirely, and all the girls have got their Gucci handbags worth more than all of my 'assets' put together. We do no work. We don't obey any rules - everyone has phones out in class and such - and we are completely casual with the teachers constantly - and this is completely counter-productive to the objective of a classroom lesson. Ask ANY teacher over here how their class is in uniform compared to out of it. Half of our teachers don't even try to run our lessons on mufti-days anymore, and instead come and join in the discussion about how so-and-so's boyfriend possibly managed to buy her a £900 jeweled necklace, or how the fourth bloodstain got on so-and-so's Cradle of Filth T-Shirt.

Don't get me wrong, I personally hate uniform... But nevertheless, this kind of restriction to 'sensible' wear is perfectly acceptable in my mind given the circumstances, and in general in fact.