Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth getting?

zentuskenzentusken Member Posts: 70
Ive played earth and beyond and was bored to death with it. Is eve better or worse?

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Get a Cd-gamer mag it has a free trail of EVE

That way you can see for yourself :)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• LemyLemy Member Posts: 21

in my opinion it is worth it ^^

Here in Forum there are many threads where your question is answered more detailed ^^

Greets

Lemy

• Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Originally posted by zentusken
    Ive played earth and beyond and was bored to death with it. Is eve better or worse?

Well, it kind of depends. I too am an ex-EnB player and I made the switch to EVE late on during the beta-phases. Why? Because EVE offers limitless oppportunities.

There is no levelling system, no defacto right way to go about things and no set character archetypes. If you want freedom in a game, this is it.

As was said during beta, EVE is a toolbox - it gives you everything you need to make somethign really special. It really does depend how you use it.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

I was hooked the first time I played EVE, probably because I was an Elite fanatic when I was younger!!

Think of a game where you can be anything from a pirate to a trader to a policeman to a corporate mogul to a private miner. Not only is the game massive in size and ideas (which seem to be coming all the time, with new additions)

No I am not someone who works there, I really do enjoy the game that much. My Girlfriend got addicted at te same time. The scope for long game is there. Not like some MMORGs I've played where once you get your character up to a certain level theres very little you can do. Once your a multi billionaire in EVE you can crash markets, smash other corps or just trundle around in a huge battleship kicking everyones botties.

Bad points I would say is getting used to everything, and there are things that the tutorials don't tell you (but the new players guide does). The skill system is great, and corporations are even better.

This game is definitely worth the price and the time to play.

• gimboidgimboid Member Posts: 15

the only point the others have missed of is this:

Its only worth getting if your willing to give up your life for it :P .... no more social life, put it that way :) im hooked, too hooked...... dammit

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

Yep was up till 6am last night!!

But one of the best things are the community support such as www.eve-radio.com which is run by volunteers and plays brilliant music. Then look at all the fan sites that offer valid enhancements to the game.

It is _really_ good.

Dal

• LemyLemy Member Posts: 21

if you ahve a good corporation, you don't need to give up your live :-)

in our corp is one Rule: "Nothing is more important than RL"

And so it works fine ...

Cy@ in Space

Lemy

(The X-Trading Company) / (Founding Member of Xetic Alliance and Immensea Federation)

P.S.: X-Traders are a german-speaking corp

• mike2280mike2280 Member Posts: 5

I just had to reply to this subject. I haven't played EVE since the first month of its release and from what i hear not much has changed.

Do you like spending 4+ hours a day mining ore? Do you like fighting pirates over and over and over and over and over again? Do you enjoy engaging in battles with enemies where you hit "Attack" and then sitting back having a cup of coffee to wait to see if you win or not?

If so, still avoid Eve like the plague. There are about 20 other mmo's that i could list that you would enjoy 100x more than this game. Some of those being text based rpg's. I think if you like looking at pretty graphics and listening to good music for $12 a month than you'll enjoy this "game". If your looking for fun gameplay elements stay away.

thats a pretty harsh review, and unfair. especially if you have only played 1 month straight after it went retail.

most of the problems have been fixed, getting stuck for example, is practically gone from the game, i cant remember the last time i got stuck now.

mining ore is also not the only income in eve, its a good easy place to start, but there are pirates in battleships, and combat is a lot more about skill than just clicking.

if you really have such a bad view of the game, try playing for another month now the game has settled in. its great, and the 6000 people logged on last sunday night must think so too.

• mike2280mike2280 Member Posts: 5

Willingly pay for another month? That wont be happening........ever. I guess i was just a lil peeved when i paid $60 for a game that offered me so little to do.

My review wasnt harsh, it was frank. your commentary on my review was bland, you said everything i said was wrong but offered no examples or proof that it IS different than how i described it.  Other than "Fork over another $13 to check the new and amzing changes!" Why does it sound like your less of a fan of the game and more like an employee?

"mining ore is also not the only income in eve, its a good easy place to start, but there are pirates in battleships"

OK, so i can run around endlessly killing the same pirates over and over again, what else? Become a trader? Wow, nothing sounds like more fun than making cargo runs back and forth between spacestations!

"most of the problems have been fixed, getting stuck for example, is practically gone from the game, i cant remember the last time i got stuck now."

I had no problems with the initial "bugs" in the game, it was the actual gameplay. I expect there to be minor bugs in a new mmo, that was never an issue. I'm not exactly sure why you brought that up, i'm more concerned about game mechanics not stability issues, but i'm glad for you that they did fix it. it was more that the game was BORING. I think the creators of this product failed to realize that while sometimes a mmo can feel like work, its nice to actually throw in an element of "fun" to a _VIDEO GAME_. Call me crazy but thats just how i feel. Like i said before, if you think its fun to pay monthly for a game where your so entirely detached from the entire experience then hey, play eve!

"and combat is a lot more about skill than just clicking."

So how has combat improved? Are there 2 buttons now?

I dont mind being wrong about what i said above. Infact i hope to god that one day i am wrong and Eve does improve. The one thing i really liked was the mood it set with the amazing graphics and soundtrack, but beyond that theres not much else going on for this game. If you can actually offer me any details on how this game has changed then i'll just stop ranting and give it another shot!

well first of all, there is no need to fork out another $12, theres a 3day trial available now, so you could try that at no expence.

you complain about all the options, mining, trading, npc hunting, pirating, but thats the point, there is something for everyone, although i have to admit, it doesnt sound like its suitable for you, but that doesnt mean its a bad game.

if you read the eve forums, there are people that actually enjoy mining (im not one of them!) but they do it because its a group ativity. The main point of eve, is that you can dip your finger into any type of trade, what ever you prefere.

I personally think you shouldnt tell people not to at least try the game, because a lot of people do enjoy playing it. Im definatly not an employee, I just started playing in the last stage of beta, and have been playing it since, before this, I was playing Neocron, which i thought although I finally got bored with, was actually a good game, very much worth playing.

• TyrusTyrus Member Posts: 3
    Alot of the threads I had seen for this game said that for new players it was tough to get started as you got PKed so too speak alot is that still true?

there was a exploit in the past where griefers could attack people in empire (safe) space, but this was dealt with a good while ago, and now noobs can, for the most part, live in happyness :D

• jippyukjippyuk Member UncommonPosts: 95

Theres a lot of posts here saying DONT TRY IT etc etc. 3 day free trial you cant go wrong. First time at this game i played a month or so then stopped. Came back about 2 months ago and TOTALLY Hooked in a way i didnt think i could be.

Guess theres a v.steep learning curve but once you get past that you begin to see ALL THE DIFFERENT things you can do to earn a fortune and have fun in this game.

Rats and PKS do hunt a lot in this game, but outer rim territory.If your sensible as a noob and dont wander off too far into -5 space. You'll be fine. But you even get a message from the game saying your entering dangerous space so you can play the game and only have to worry about NPC rats if you want.

Try it, and stick with it at the beginning if you think its crap coz 7200 players cant be wrong.

Gunthor

TCD

• GardarGardar Member Posts: 50

Well i've been playing eve for like a month now and i love it Eve is one of the best games i've ever played.

i can assure you that Eve is totaly worth it

Gar

Gar

• zentyzenty Member Posts: 31
    Well i just joined the EVE family.... ne corps u cuzz in that would welcome me? image

maybe :)

what region are you in?

What sort of character do you think you'll want ?

• zentyzenty Member Posts: 31
    Im a gallente (sp?) and i wanna be a explorer type class but i want to have assault drones and lasers.  Multi drones annoying a target to death seems funny to me hehe.

• OlroxOlrox Member Posts: 46
    is there a free trial download?

<table style="filter:glow(color=blue, strength=2)">Liah Natas</table>

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by mike2280

I just had to reply to this subject. I haven't played EVE since the first month of its release and from what i hear not much has changed.

Obviously, your ignorance has overwhelmed you as there has been so much added that it is simply mind-boggling that you do not think so. 

Do you like spending 4+ hours a day mining ore? Do you like fighting pirates over and over and over and over and over again? Do you enjoy engaging in battles with enemies where you hit "Attack" and then sitting back having a cup of coffee to wait to see if you win or not?

Again, this tells me you have no idea what the game is about.  I currently have 17 million isk in my bank including 3 cruisers and 7 frigates and 1 battleship skill (4 mil)....you know how much ore I mined? 0. Thats right, "none" 

Stop posting comments about a game you never played or only played the first month of.  Many things have changed since then and you're only making yourself look silly.

If so, still avoid Eve like the plague. There are about 20 other mmo's that i could list that you would enjoy 100x more than this game. Some of those being text based rpg's. I think if you like looking at pretty graphics and listening to good music for $12 a month than you'll enjoy this "game". If your looking for fun gameplay elements stay away.

Hard to take an opinion of someone with little to no EVE experience image

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.