Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What skills?

VanillacreamVanillacream Member Posts: 344

Ok, I am getting to a point of fruststation now.

There are so many skills and so little time. Its there a site fo something with player tips and settings on what others have trained? Like a list or something showing what they have trained?

Just so I can get some idea as to what path I wish to take.

I am starting to feel like I am training way to many skills and will just end up taking them all. MY skill list is becoming a headace to look at.

Is it really normal to have so many skills trained? Or do people usally make alts? One for Battle an other for Trade?

Comments

• Stumpy26Stumpy26 Member Posts: 189

whats ur ingame name mate ? Im logging onto EVE tonight i could give u some tips

welcome to EVE

• VanillacreamVanillacream Member Posts: 344

Originally posted by Stumpy26

whats ur ingame name mate ? Im logging onto EVE tonight i could give u some tips

welcome to EVE

Thanks for the offer m8. I do I have the basics, I am just at the point were I really should be focusing my training.

I have 1.3mill Skill Points so far, but have not really focused my training on anything spesific, I have just been training skills as I come across something I am missing to be able to use what I wanted.

I really want to explore the PVP part EVE has to offer and have all the right skills to manage myself.

I would suggest you look under this link http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewtopic&topic=406&start=30

if its pvp you want

have you joined a player corp yet? If not a know a good bunch of guys that will help you out.  Its very hard to tell you what u need need to learn skillwise cos that depends upon what role you want to play in pvp and what ships you want to fly. 

• NatEVENatEVE Member Posts: 92

I would suggest you look under this link http://www.agony-unleashed.com/index.php?module=pnForum&func=viewtopic&topic=406&start=30
    if its pvp you want
    have you joined a player corp yet? If not a know a good bunch of guys that will help you out.  Its very hard to tell you what u need need to learn skillwise cos that depends upon what role you want to play in pvp and what ships you want to fly. 

Definately recommended. They also have a promotional video on the EVE-O forums

As far as your skills go, It depends on what you want to do. If its pvp, then decide what type of ship you'd like to become effective with. But for all ships its good to have good skills in:

Engineering (Helps with capacitor, powergrid fitting, shield tanking)
    Electronics (Helps with electronic warefare, e-war cap useage, cpu fitting, cloaking)
    Navigation (Helps with afterburner/microwarpdrive cap use and boost ammount, speed, agility)

Depending on whether your ship uses missiles, drones, guns (or any combination) you'll want levels in:

Gunnery (You'll want weapons upgrades even if you don't use guns to help with cpu fitting and adv. wep upgrades for power grid fittings)
    Missile Launcher operation (if you use missiles)
    Drones (if you use drones)

• FarakonFarakon Member Posts: 47

I might suggest that you take a look at EveMon

This is quite a little tool. 
    You can pick the skills you eventually would like to have and this
    little baby makes a plan for you laying out which skills you should train when.
     It even has an “optimize” feature which
    fills in the learning skills you need to maximize your training time. 

I was skeptical at first because you have to enter your
    login.  This is necessary because it then
    logs into the Eve site and downloads your present skills and will alert you
    when your skill training is complete.

I was convinced that it was not a scam by all the glowing
    posts to d this thread and by the fact that the source code is open for all to see. 

Using this tool you can select the skills you eventually
    want and it will tell you all the steps you need to take to get there.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Vanillacream

welcome to EVE
    Thanks for the offer m8. I do I have the basics, I am just at the point were I really should be focusing my training.

I have 1.3mill Skill Points so far, but have not really focused my training on anything spesific, I have just been training skills as I come across something I am missing to be able to use what I wanted.

I really want to explore the PVP part EVE has to offer and have all the right skills to manage myself.

TBH everyone goes through this phase at some point, there  are a lot of generic skills to train that are good for any ship you fly, the best thing to do is set small goals for yourself. Pick a ship you want to fly or a setup you want to fit and train into it. Try and stick with the plan and only train other skills when absolutely necessary.

EVEMON is a great tool to help with this as you can select a ship or module you want to use and it will automatically add in all the essential skills for you.
  • HerkmeckHerkmeck Member Posts: 206

There are so many skills and so little time. Its there a site fo something with player tips and settings on what others have trained? Like a list or something showing what they have trained?

I am starting to feel like I am training way to many skills and will just end up taking them all. MY skill list is becoming a headace to look at.

Is it really normal to have so many skills trained? Or do people usally make alts? One for Battle an other for Trade?

Its best to stop and take a look at where you want to go in Eve.  If your in it for PvP stay away from industrial skills, and the same if you go for PVE.  Remember the more points you have in all them skills the more your clone cost.  And they aint cheap with the higher sp zones. 

Figure out what ship class you would like to fly, and then concetrate on that class.  Dont train BS skills till you are absolutly sure you can afford the dang things.

And as Mercenary frigates, and Goon Squad has proven...Frigates can really mess up a BS's day.

Originally posted by Herkmeck

Its best to stop and take a look at where you want to go in Eve.  If your in it for PvP stay away from industrial skills, and the same if you go for PVE.  Remember the more points you have in all them skills the more your clone cost.  And they aint cheap with the higher sp zones. 

Figure out what ship class you would like to fly, and then concetrate on that class.  Dont train BS skills till you are absolutly sure you can afford the dang things.

And as Mercenary frigates, and Goon Squad has proven...Frigates can really mess up a BS's day.

Hm, yeah I see your point. The thing is I like to do alittle of this and that. I have Industry, Mining and Combat skills. lol
    Ah well. I guess thats the beauty of EVE, you can take any path you wish. There is no right and wrong apperently.

PS
    Thanks for the links. I will deffently have a look at Agonys PvP class. Seems like fun.
    And EvEMon seemed perfect!

if its pvp you want

I was in a Corp with some friends but it died out. No one is playing it any more. But I managed to get a RL friend join EVE and we made our own Corp for fun. Just to have a shared hanger etc. We have no plans in expanding really.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

agony unleashed is a good option but it's a lil pricy (ISK wise) EVEMON is a great starting point till you get some ISK in the game as well.  Also if you're not really concerned with PVP EVEMon is probably the better way to go.  You don't only have to plug in skills.  If you want to fly a certain kind of ship and use a certain kind of equipment on it you can go select those items from the item list and it will automatically add the skills required to use those items to your plan.

EXTREMELY useful too.... I love EVEMON and wish I'd known about it when I was 'brand new'.  If I had to point to the ONE thing that has helped me enjoy EVE more... that tool would be the one thing.  Knowing WHAT to train to get where you want to be  is even more important than how long it takes to train.  I could have saved a LOT of time getting where I wanted to be if I'd had this tool when I first tried EVE out.

If you just leave EVEMON running it'll even tell you when your skills finish (if you're not playing when they do) so that you can log in and start the next skill so as not to loose any training time.

Love that tool

I do plan to go to Agony Unleashed eventually as well, it sounds intriguing.  But I consider EVEMON an absolutely essential tool for anyone who wants to be able to jump right into EVE and start running.

Matter of fact I almost wish CCP would buy the tool and make it part of the game itself.  It's THAT useful.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Hi vanilla cream 

there is a channel called ex swa (not a corp just a chat channel)  made up from some friends you can send Sinder Ohm an Evemail and he would invite u to the channel we can answer some of your questions if u have any. or just give u some helpfull tips

hope EVE is treating you well

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200
    You can use EVEMon without giving it a PW.  I personally keep the software blocked by my firewall just to be sure on security.

You have to go the website and go to your character screen.  From there you can download a file called xml.asp which you can simply rename.  You can then upload this file manually to either EVEMon or Quickfit, which will both help you with skills, and skills&ships respectively.

Hi vanilla cream 
    there is a channel called ex swa (not a corp just a chat channel)  made up from some friends you can send Sinder Ohm an Evemail and he would invite u to the channel we can answer some of your questions if u have any. or just give u some helpfull tips

hope EVE is treating you well

Hey! Sorry didnt read your post til now. I will send you a mail asap.  See ya in there!

I have been hanging out in the "help" channel alot. Its pretty helpful. I just keep it up and read, ask a question every now and then. But I will join your channel too. Allways nice to get to know more ppl in the game. And a mmorpg.com member is a pluss.