Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Divergence: Game De-Listed

2»

Comments

• BillTannerBillTanner Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Interesting.  Trying to get that money together is a tough uphill climb.  Leads people to do foolish things.  They shouldn't have lied to MMORPG.com, but why are people hating on the potential developers and their potential game?  I thought they had some interesting concepts.  I hope they get their act together.  What is it with some people that they have to flame other games that they may or may not know anything about?  Is it a way of unloading teenage angst?  

• MinimumMinimum Member UncommonPosts: 236

Originally posted by BillTanner 
      I thought they had some interesting concepts. 

So did Dawn....I think that was the name.

It is just vaporware till they can start showing an actual product.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Originally posted by BillTanner
    They shouldn't have lied to MMORPG.com, but why are people hating on the potential developers and their potential game? 

Since they lied to MMORPG and the community, what would stop them from lying to their players now or later?

And the funny thing is, on their site they are claiming to be the victims of a brutal unprofessional MMORPG.COM.

Well I am glad that MMORPG.COM has RSS newsfeeds, now the word should spread like wildfire of this immature development team.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• thepatriotthepatriot Member UncommonPosts: 284

There design docs seems lofty, but then again so did SWG's.  Another game that is long in development, Trials of Ascension, has had to trim their lofty goals considerably and after 4 years still don't have a beta running or even in game movies.  The company seems to be taking a rather defensive view of the situation and are attacking mmorpg.com on their own forums and making excuses for their own actions.

One developer, EthanC, even goes on to state that he is prepared to do anything to get this game made:

The fact is that we all have, especially me, prepared ourselves to do anything it takes to make this work. This last year has been the roughest. We've had to scremp and save, some of us have relocated our whole lives like Chris.
    I am mentally capable of running down an old lady on the street if it means being an inch closer to having a finished game and I'm not talking about one of those fast old ladies niether I'm talking about an old decrepit walker-ridden and palsied blue haired geezer that some child somewhere probably calls "grammy".

Sorry little girl, your grammy was standing in the way of progress.

Link

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Just going to add here that yeah they screwed up with those images and I don’t disagree with that. We don't need another DnL that’s for sure and we don’t need false hope. Good luck to them on finding their investors. I doubt they will get backing like they want now, unless someone with millions makes a bold and risky move to support it. They should have kept their mouths shut till they had all their ducks in a row on it.

Now I imagine smart investors will avoid them like the plague. A smarter move for them would have been to wait till the game was closer to a beta or at least had an engine licensed, which might have gotten more positive attention. In this case any attention even if it was negative was not better than none at all. Some of their ideas are sound and if anything it brought attention to a particular core group of players that like hardcore MMOs (something lacking in the industry at present) IDK how many hardcore players are out there but I bet it’s enough for a game like that to be successful. But something like this is yet to be seen. Back to waiting for STO.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MotorheadMotorhead Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

Originally posted by pirrg
    Besides you and ten of your cohorts, people have completely forgotten about what SOE did in the past. SWG is just another game on the mmo market now mate. Sorry to say but, thats how it is.

Agreed. 

----------------------------------------------
    "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." -- Batman

• StarElderStarElder Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone, including the mmorpg.com team even looked at the site?  Finally developers that are telling somethign about the game, and NOT lying to their community, and people flame it?

I'm wondering what might happen if this game is released and ends up far better than anyone thought it would be (curently here the expectations seem to be no game).  Will mmorpg.com beg to have them back on the listings?

By the way, they already have plans of releasing ingame videos to the high ranking members of their site.  The only thing holding them back from releasing screenshots and vids (which was explained to the community and i believe mmorpg.com) is the NDA with BigWorld.  That's why they can give out any info about the game or their plans, but no ss.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I don't blame mmorg.com one bit for taking them off the list after they attempted to pass off phony screenshots. But I would like to see a little more consistency and scrutiny in this area, because a lot of companies are doing that.

For example, I can't say for certain, but does anyone believe these are actual in game screenshots from STO?

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/screens/gameID/216/setStart/1

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Originally posted by Amathe

I don't blame mmorg.com one bit for taking them off the list after they attempted to pass off phony screenshots. But I would like to see a little more consistency and scrutiny in this area, because a lot of companies are doing that.
    For example, I can't say for certain, but does anyone believe these are actual in game screenshots from STO?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/screens/gameID/216/setStart/1

Those are static renders. Not actual game play footage shots. It was taken using their engine though. But also remember since its Star Trek (big title) they are allowed to do that. Sucks but that’s the way things work around here.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Haha,

As an april fool, next year, you could re-list WISH without Dana knowing it, so he go totally surprised when he see that up on the site!   With something like: We have been busy working on it for the past X years, in the shadow to avoid unrequired hyped, we are going to the public beta in 2 weeks...Gold is in 3 months.  I dunno how Dana would react, but could be FUN as an april fool!

I don't think a game has to get it listing here soon...I am pretty sure that even if they go ninja-release and doesn't get their listing here before release, it wouldn't hurt BioWare...yet...we are talking of BioWare here! 

For example, I am not sure if WAR benefit or lose more from all this long-time visivility...a Warhammer title that would ninja-surprise me is almost an automatic buy, I will read about it in diagonals.  But a Warhammer game I have tons of time to read and check, it has to be what I want for me to buy it.  Long term visibility is a double edge sword.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

This game is quickly becoming the next DnL.

Concept Art made with Vue 5?

Five Screens submitted to mmorpg.com

Lath

Originally posted by Anofalye

Haha,
    As an april fool, next year, you could re-list WISH without Dana knowing it, so he go totally surprised when he see that up on the site!   With something like: We have been busy working on it for the past X years, in the shadow to avoid unrequired hyped, we are going to the public beta in 2 weeks...Gold is in 3 months.  I dunno how Dana would react, but could be FUN as an april fool!

I don't think a game has to get it listing here soon...I am pretty sure that even if they go ninja-release and doesn't get their listing here before release, it wouldn't hurt BioWare...yet...we are talking of BioWare here! 

For example, I am not sure if WAR benefit or lose more from all this long-time visivility...a Warhammer title that would ninja-surprise me is almost an automatic buy, I will read about it in diagonals.  But a Warhammer game I have tons of time to read and check, it has to be what I want for me to buy it.  Long term visibility is a double edge sword.

Yeah I’ve been bugging those guys at Bioware to tell folks what’s up their sleeves for months now. You will find out when its time, I assume after STO is released. For the time being you can always talk about 80's toys with Stan Woo.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• LumsterLumster Member Posts: 230

@tillamook

Those screenies from Star Trek are NO renders stop spreading lies.

Originally posted by Lumster

@tillamook
    Those screenies from Star Trek are NO renders stop spreading lies.

yes the interior photos are. If you are looking for a flame war go elsewhere.

Here's a brief summary of the latest happenings within the STO development team:
    The engineering and art teams have been working together to see how close we can get to photo-realistic, real time ship interior renders. They've started with the TNG era Galaxy class since it is so iconic and also happens to be the setting for at least one major hub. For this particular exercise, they modeling and rendering a hallway, turbolift, and the observation lounge and rendering it all in real-time with next-generation lighting & material effects. Their results are stunning. Once we've completed look development for our other two environment types (space & ground), we'll release some screenshots - figure sometime before summer...

http://startrek.perpetual.com/2005/12/development_update_1.html

SWG Bloodfin vet

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Originally posted by StarElder
    Has anyone, including the mmorpg.com team even looked at the site?  Finally developers that are telling somethign about the game, and NOT lying to their community, and people flame it?

I'm wondering what might happen if this game is released and ends up far better than anyone thought it would be (curently here the expectations seem to be no game).  Will mmorpg.com beg to have them back on the listings?

By the way, they already have plans of releasing ingame videos to the high ranking members of their site.  The only thing holding them back from releasing screenshots and vids (which was explained to the community and i believe mmorpg.com) is the NDA with BigWorld.  That's why they can give out any info about the game or their plans, but no ss.

Three words: Over The Top

The Dev Team has made a very aggressive set of plans which are unrealistic and have made statements that are most likely as false:

- Knowing a of contact who is going to buy out Industrial Light & Magic this week.

- To make a full motion picture in three years time

- The Dev Team was approached by MMORPG about the truth of the renderings, the Dev Team said they were legit.

- If the Dev Team did not want the publicity, they should have informed MMORPG.COM to have the listing downplayed.

- If the Dev Team did not want the publicity, they should have not posted to people to keep up'ing the Hype Meter.

- One member of the Dev Team said he observed the pictures being rendered and that they were not default pictures.

- The Dev Team plans to release this game in one year's time, with no models, no documentation and a team of 5 people, one of who is doing a crash refresh course in programming in C.

- Beta Testing in a few months from now?  With what??  Get on voice chat and roll a d20???

- The Developers should have come clean and not telling more lies and over the top statements in the beginning.

The statement of the NDA with BigWorld preventing screenshots and videos is false.  The NDA of BigWorld has no such clause for preventing the use of screenshots of assets.  Additionally BigWorld is only for the backend, not for the client as stated by the Developer Team.  The graphical client engine is seperate and it is possible to provide screenshot of it as long as it does not connect to BigWorld.  To also make a statement that the check will clear in 5 minutes from now or a few months is also false.  This is an indication that they have no funding.  That they are waiting to get the money to buy the license, which can happen 5 minutes from now or in a few months.

Facts:

- They have no funding (checks don't take months to clear)

- They have no models (an NDA will not prevent models from being shown as renders)

- The have no documentation (still holding conferences about the combat system)

- They have lied in the past, they are lying now and therefore will continue to lie.

- The title has been Black Flagged.

- This idea of game is just that and all it will ever be.

This whole thing was a good laugh however.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

Originally posted by Dracus

Three words: Over The Top

The Dev Team has made a very aggressive set of plans which are unrealistic and have made statements that are most likely as false:

- Knowing a of contact who is going to buy out Industrial Light & Magic this week.

- To make a full motion picture in three years time

- The Dev Team was approached by MMORPG about the truth of the renderings, the Dev Team said they were legit.

- If the Dev Team did not want the publicity, they should have informed MMORPG.COM to have the listing downplayed.

- If the Dev Team did not want the publicity, they should have not posted to people to keep up'ing the Hype Meter.

- One member of the Dev Team said he observed the pictures being rendered and that they were not default pictures.

- The Dev Team plans to release this game in one year's time, with no models, no documentation and a team of 5 people, one of who is doing a crash refresh course in programming in C.

- Beta Testing in a few months from now?  With what??  Get on voice chat and roll a d20???

- The Developers should have come clean and not telling more lies and over the top statements in the beginning.

The statement of the NDA with BigWorld preventing screenshots and videos is false.  The NDA of BigWorld has no such clause for preventing the use of screenshots of assets.  Additionally BigWorld is only for the backend, not for the client as stated by the Developer Team.  The graphical client engine is seperate and it is possible to provide screenshot of it as long as it does not connect to BigWorld.  To also make a statement that the check will clear in 5 minutes from now or a few months is also false.  This is an indication that they have no funding.  That they are waiting to get the money to buy the license, which can happen 5 minutes from now or in a few months.

Facts:

- They have no funding (checks don't take months to clear)

- They have no models (an NDA will not prevent models from being shown as renders)

- The have no documentation (still holding conferences about the combat system)

- They have lied in the past, they are lying now and therefore will continue to lie.

- The title has been Black Flagged.

- This idea of game is just that and all it will ever be.

This whole thing was a good laugh however.

Sadly I must agree. After going thru their website and reading it more I have to agree. Sounds like it's DOA. Maybe if they change the name of the game and company and get a real PR team and real devs as well as real investors and never mention Divergence or Stainglass Llama again they can pull it off.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• benasatobenasato Member UncommonPosts: 193
    sorry for late post but wanted to put this out .

why pull the NDA card as to why they cant show pics but on there front page say if hype hit 7.1 they would upload 3 new pics of player housing an land .

an to boot now they putting all the blame on mmorpg.com for the picks
    sorry but it sound like a lot of back tracking an bs to me.

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

Im not sure if it is acually illegal to post copyright images as"in-game" screenshots but it feels really bad. I dont like the idea of SGL decieving us like this- even if they were concept art it still should be their concept art not someone elses copyrighted images.

I went ahead and logged all the screenshots and everything on these forums and the divergence forums then sent it all to the legal/press/webmaster emails/ at e-on software (VU-5).  We can let them sort it out.

overall this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth reguarding SGL and Divergence-online.

Lath

• joshuaPhiiljoshuaPhiil Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by Admin

To be officially listed at MMORPG.com you must meet these requirements: http://www.mmorpg.com/faq.cfm/showFaq/4

don't forget the requirement of scammin'  8,000 people for 60 beans each..  DnL anyone..  your listing rules are hilarious.

why not just say "whatever our nerdy editors want listed"  ? 

I would like to see proof that mmorpg.com "made sure" that those pictures weren't renderings.  Everyone at the site knew they were before this fiasco and nobody complained.  That link about "5 screenshots on mmorpg.com" was made because it was obvious they weren't screenshots.  According to the dev team (much easier believed than a team that doesn't take down other games not meeting requirements because nobody has complained abotu it yet) they asked for their drawings to be submitted, AS CONCEPT ART, but the mmorpg team wouldn't have it.  Check out the site and see how much the devs actually tell us.  If they have lied, it's only been to MMORPG.com.

Originally posted by Lathial

Im not sure if it is acually illegal to post copyright images as"in-game" screenshots but it feels really bad. I dont like the idea of SGL decieving us like this- even if they were concept art it still should be their concept art not someone elses copyrighted images.
    I went ahead and logged all the screenshots and everything on these forums and the divergence forums then sent it all to the legal/press/webmaster emails/ at e-on software (VU-5).  We can let them sort it out.
    overall this leaves a very bad taste in my mouth reguarding SGL and Divergence-online.
    Lath

Well they took those pictures down off their website. Must have been to avoid being sued.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• TheKrakenTheKraken Member Posts: 154

All true, though I think some are way over-reacting.  In the history of publicity people have done infinitely worse tihngs.  Constantly, everywhere around you are advertisments and policitcians trying to sell you something.  So they submitted 5 pics that are only kinda-sorta related to their game, and offered an explanation why.  Not 100% honest necessarily, but when you're trying to start a business you will do what is required of you, unless you just don't like money and want to fail.

Still, despite it all, I will remain hopeful.  I'm desperate for a sci-fi game I can latch onto.  Or any non-fantasy themed game, really.  I'm tired of spells and dragons.  Seriously.  Can you blame me for still holding onto hope here?

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

I would like to see proof that mmorpg.com "made sure" that those pictures weren't renderings.  Everyone at the site knew they were before this fiasco and nobody complained.  That link about "5 screenshots on mmorpg.com" was made because it was obvious they weren't screenshots.  According to the dev team (much easier believed than a team that doesn't take down other games not meeting requirements because nobody has complained abotu it yet) they asked for their drawings to be submitted, AS CONCEPT ART, but the mmorpg team wouldn't have it.  Check out the site and see how much the devs actually tell us.  If they have lied, it's only been to MMORPG.com.

The exact question we asked was "Are you sure these are 100% real in-engine screenshots?"... to which they responded that they were. There was no confusion on their end.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Is this a question you ask of all games that are listed here?  If so I'm wondering what you plan on doing about the other games that have concept art or renderings submitted rather than 5 in game screenshots.  Just spending a few minutes on the site shows other games doing the same thing.  STO for example.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

I think that the problem here is that these "Guys" did what they really wanted to do.

They advertised their null Company and their motion picture for free in mmorpg.com without having any kind of product. This behavior Should be noted and this "Company" must be removed totally from future listings of mmorpg.com, even if they make the best mmorpg ever created.

Mmorpg.com must accept only playable demos of any future products, Unless the company that submits only screenshots has released at least one full working mmorg game in the past.