Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What expansions should a newbie EQ2 player get?

GIANT_WANGGIANT_WANG Member Posts: 40
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting everquest seeing as Im bored of wow after playing it for 2 years and was wondering what expansions I should get and when? I heard people say the Splitpaw saga is good for level 20 onwards and so is Kingdom of Sky? Also, if you buy Kingdom of Sky from EB do you get EQ2 with it? Thanks in advance for replies :)

Played and enjoyed: EQ1, DAoC, WoW

Played and disliked: Guild Wars, WAR

Currently playing: Nothing

Waiting for: Mortal Online

Comments

• TheFranchiseTheFranchise Member Posts: 241

Do a search. There should be a recent thread answering your question. The bottom line I remember from the thread is go with the base game plus Kingdom of Sky. Reasons were because the other ones are for pretty high level characters so you can always get them later anyway, but also because a lot of those other areas people did when they first came out and now (supposedly) no one else goes there anymore.

While a big part is the higher-level stuff, another reason to get it is because the KoS teleporters can make going to certain non-KoS places much easier.

• VoodudeVoodude Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by TheFranchise

Do a search. There should be a recent thread answering your question. The bottom line I remember from the thread is go with the base game plus Kingdom of Sky. Reasons were because the other ones are for pretty high level characters so you can always get them later anyway, but also because a lot of those other areas people did when they first came out and now (supposedly) no one else goes there anymore.
    While a big part is the higher-level stuff, another reason to get it is because the KoS teleporters can make going to certain non-KoS places much easier.

This is correct. As a new Eq2 player the only thin i would highly recommend you get are the firat 2 adventure packs (splitpaw and bloodlines). These arent full fledged expasion but they  do open up a goodly bit of good solid content starting about lvl 20. They cost around 2.99$ and are download only.
  • scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Heres what i say:

AP1: sucks dont buy it
    AP2: sucks dont buy it.
    AP3: Great but useless for a noob

Expansion1: lvl 45+
    Expansion2: 45+ (event ho there're AA, don't justify buying it tbh)
    Expansion3: All levels (cant wait till its out)

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• VoodudeVoodude Member Posts: 98

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Heres what i say:

hmm..I strongly disagree with Scaramoosh about adventure Pack 1/2 they were great fun, great story and some decent loot. MHO
  • scaramooshscaramoosh Member Posts: 3,424

Originally posted by Voodude

Originally posted by scaramoosh

Heres what i say:

hmm..I strongly disagree with Scaramoosh about adventure Pack 1/2 they were great fun, great story and some decent loot. MHO

I just find caves and the art to be boring and bland compared to the new game

---------------------------------------------
    Don't click here...no2

• lillinlillin Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by GIANT_WANG
    Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting everquest seeing as Im bored of wow after playing it for 2 years and was wondering what expansions I should get and when? I heard people say the Splitpaw saga is good for level 20 onwards and so is Kingdom of Sky? Also, if you buy Kingdom of Sky from EB do you get EQ2 with it? Thanks in advance for replies :)

Just buy kingdom of sky.  It does come with eq2 original, splitpaw was nerfed is not really worth getting at this point.  The desert of ro basically gives you a free 40% speed increase mount and thats it for that expansion.  Do just get KoS, and maybe wait till november to get EoF, it may come with all expansions.  Eq2 is hurting for subscribers so there gonna start playing lets make a deal really soon.
  • pbradishpbradish Member Posts: 14
    If you play on PVP server get both KOS and Splitpaw.

KOS will give you the AA's, and Splitpaw will give you instances to solo in without getting ganked in pvp :)  

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    just get all of em man, this way you wont have too get em later,

playing eq2 and two worlds

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

IMO you should not buy any Addon right now. SOE has said on every addon it has something for all levels, but 95% of the content is for high level players. EQ2 has no fast levelling like WOW, so you can wait a while anyway. I could live without the addon-features for a long time until I really needed them.

I'd avoid any old adventure packs at all, because everyone played them when they were new but now most are empty and you dont find groups for them now.

The only reason would be if you get a really cheap bundle.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• zandwarfzandwarf Member Posts: 114

Quick rundown of the expansions for ya bud.

Everquest II retail: Basic EQ2, allows players to lvl to 50

Desert Of Flames: Allows players to advance to lvl 60 / free 40% mount with quest

Kingdon Of The Sky: Allows players to advance to lvl 70 if have DOF expansion / Introduces AA "alternite achivement" points 

Blood Line Chronicls:  Instance zone in Nek forest / mostly group, very little solo unless 35+ / 10 quest gives a vampire illusion and allows players to purchase a lvl 35 advanced artisan book to craft some pretty leet spells / combat arts

Splitpaw Saga:  Very decent solo-group zone / finishing 4 quest in splitpaw allows players to purchase 1 combat art or spell for their class that advances with them as they lvl / raid zones in splitpaw have some very nice gear / harclaves is a instance quest in splitpaw that was nerfed from giving around 30% xp for finishing it to around 10% xp

Fallen Dynasty: Will allow players who have not purchesed KOS or DOF to advance to lvl 55 / handfull of solo quest for players 60+ with decent rewards / Nizara very hard instances for players 70 that offer very, very nice rewards, but to this day remains the most challenging zone i have played

To awnser your question, i hear alot of people say to pass the Desert Of Flames expansion up...why they would do this i have no clue.  You can buy EQ2 with KOS expansion for $30 and then the DOF expansion for $20 at almost any retail store.  If you have the KOS expansion, yes you can pass up DOF where most people say all you get is a carpet with 40% speed, but that is a load of crap.  If all you have is KOS your journy to lvl 60 will be very challenging.  Their is almost no where in EQ2 you will be able to grind 50-55 with any decent speed, and then 55-60 most of the mobs from the origonal game will con grey and the KOS stuff will be very challenging for you.

My advice to any new player is to purchase the EQ2 with the KOS expansion for $30 and play the game untill your around lvl 45, and if you decide at that point you want to continue your EQ2 Journy, purchase Desert Of Flames and enjoy the awsome instance zones "Poets Palace, Roost, Cazel Mesa, Ancient Tables"  and the great xp!  And when you get near lvl 60, KOS will be waiting on you!

• napalmswebnapalmsweb Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Great overview zandwarf, thanks. Quick question, do you recall what lvl the qst is which gives you the mount?

• GIANT_WANGGIANT_WANG Member Posts: 40

Thankyou to everyone for your advice, Zandwarf especially :)

I've bought the retail KOS and will follow your advice and get DOF around level 45.

Played and enjoyed: EQ1, DAoC, WoW

Played and disliked: Guild Wars, WAR

Currently playing: Nothing

Waiting for: Mortal Online

Originally posted by napalmsweb
    Great overview zandwarf, thanks. Quick question, do you recall what lvl the qst is which gives you the mount?

You can get the Carpet Quest from a guy near the Gamblin Goblin in Sinking Sands at lvl 45 i believe.  He will give you a total of 4 quest to complete.  The first one is possiable to solo around lvl 50, but i would reccomend keeping an eye open on the chat channels for CQ1 grp forming.

The second quest is to gather i believe 8 items, most of which are from 53+ heroic mobs...again you will want a group for this.

The third quest is to kill a named 55 ^^^ mob is Maj Dal...again you will need a group.

The last quest is to kill a named Din Jinn near the Eye Of Anuk in Sinking Sands.  This is a very hard named to kill, and i recomend you bring along a tank that is at least lvl 60, 1 chanter, and a few healers.

Hope this helped ya out.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by zandwarf

Kingdon Of The Sky: Allows players to advance to lvl 70 if have DOF expansion / allows players to advance to lvl 60 if they do not have the DOF expansion

KoS allows you to advance to level 70 even if you don't have DoF.  It also gives you access to the achievment system which is why it's good to pick it up early.

Originally posted by lomiller

KoS allows you to advance to level 70 even if you don't have DoF.  It also gives you access to the achievment system which is why it's good to pick it up early.

Im looking into this now.  I have always believed that if you do not purchase DOF, you can not advance to 70.  I have sent for some help on the official EQ2 forums and will let you know what i find.  If i am wrong, i stand corrected.

So...i stand corrected =/ http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=gameplay&message.id=115037

I will edit my above post to correct that bit of wrong information i was giving.