Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still New Player Freindly?

LostGraceLostGrace Member Posts: 380

If I start will I have a chance to get anywhere? Or will I be squashed early on?

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Eve is very noobie friendly. Do the tutorial or you will be lost. after that you can chat in rookie chat or help chat. There are always alot of people there to help.If you survive or not is based soley on you. You get to decide whats best for you. Just keep this rule in mind. Never have more than you can spend. I have watched new players spend every last ISK they had on a new ship only to see it destroyed and have no isk to replace it. Good Luck!!
  • AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by LostGrace
    If I start will I have a chance to get anywhere? Or will I be squashed early on?

Ofc you will be squashed - if you attack the wrong people or NPCs, or if you do something unlawful you will be squashed by the NPC police. Learning EVE and "getting squashed" is part of the learning process we all had to go through. Just make sure you learn each time from a setback or disaster, so that it won't happen again. Train your skills wisely, specialize, and within short time you will be kicking player or npc butt in your chosen field of expertise.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367
    An easy answer to all your questions:  yes.
  • LordSlaterLordSlater Member Posts: 2,087

Originally posted by LostGrace

OK first of all this game is very friendly if you follow some rules and do some things which i shall list below hope it helps.

1. Do the tutorial its long and boring but also essential.

2. Avoid space that has a security rating of between 0.4 - 0.0  in this space you can be killed pretty easilly and there is no NPC police protectiona at all.

3. Once you have got the basic controlls learnt go find a mining corperation. this way you will be eased gently into how to live in the eve universe and if you would rather PvP then leave that corp and find a PvP corp .

4. New corps of either mining or PvP types tend to be inexperienced but this means you will learn with them. Experienced ones are ahrder to join but if you do you will be surrounded by vets.

5. There are several in game channels including some help ones so if you ahve a question try asking in the help channel or in your racese empire channel.

6. All races are the same just chose one that looks the nicest but the atributes are important make tham as equall as you can ignoring the social atribute asd that is used the least. Also there are no profesions in this game and you can train to use any ship or gun or module eventually you will be able to use tham all so dont worry about carreer if you change your mind just train different skills.

7. This game can be brutall to anyone this game doesant hold your hand or tell you what to do. Its a sandbox game meaning we players amke the rules and events so far it seems to have worked.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102
    Eve was new player friendly 3 years ago - now every person on the server is 3 years ahead of you and will not recruit you until youve played the game for 3/4 months - at which point you'll be their lacki and do menial tasks like hauling ore from A to B until you are competent enough in pvp to not bring shame to them (after about 18 months of skills).

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• KenobeeKenobee Member Posts: 32
    What the guys above said.

Especially what grimboj said, after playing for a week I feel very very far behind, I don't think I can ever catch up to those that have played for 3 years, but it's worth a try, and it can be fun on the way, if that is your type of thing.

• CerrianCerrian Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by grimboj
    Eve was new player friendly 3 years ago - now every person on the server is 3 years ahead of you and will not recruit you until youve played the game for 3/4 months - at which point you'll be their lacki and do menial tasks like hauling ore from A to B until you are competent enough in pvp to not bring shame to them (after about 18 months of skills).

That's one hell of a myth and straight-up misinformation.  You do the OP a major dis-service by deliberatly misleading him and failing to be objective when he's asking for help.

The majority of players are like 9 months old and younger.  3 year old characters make up less than 10% of the overall population.

Most corps do not have an issue with recruiting a noob, but all corps will not recruit a noob during their 14-day trial period.  Depending on the type of corp and the status of their recruitment phase, you may see some restrictions like 3-4 mil skillpoints minimum, but by and far most corps will welcome a noob that has finished their 14-day trial.

In pvp corps, all noobs are instructed and given the task of some of the most critical pvp roles, tackling and electronic warfare support.  Nothing makes a pvp corp prouder than having their noobs blow the living shit out of a more vetern player.  Furthermore, noobs are always encouraged to pvp since they have the least to lose.
  • AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by Kenobee
    ...., after playing for a week I feel very very far behind, I don't think I can ever catch up to those that have played for 3 years, ....
    Who told you that you have to catch up to have fun in game and be competetive?

Actually I know no other online game, save non RPGs, where you can be that fast a threat to older characters, especially if you teamwork. EVE is not a level based stone-scissors-paper game - It's freeform development gives possibilities to challenge older players, that other games simply don't offer.

A lot of the better PVPlers I Know are less than one and a half year old, some of them even PVPed successfully solo (also agaisnt older characters) after being barely a few months old. It's all about attitude, not SPs.

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

You really have no clue what your talking about. In fact most of those are opinions are just straight wrong. As said before about the only time there won't be a corp that will take you is when your in your trial period or the first 2 weeks of the game. Srry if us corps don't want to put a lot of effort into you if your not going to stay around for a bit.

As for the lacki/menial task, this is the closest to be right. most corps will assign a new player a mentor or at least have a group of people to specifically go to. As for menial task, well in corp operations you'll get to do a role that you have skills for. If the best mining ship you can fly is a cruiser and and you have the ability to fly a decient industrial , then in a mining op you'll probebly be running as a hualer so one of the guys in a Large Mining Barge can mine as well he's more efficent at it. In combat you'll be assigned a appropriate role, if your in a frig you'll get handed the anti interceptor/drone role, or maybe a tackler/EW, or logisitcs depending on what skills you have(note all of those can be gotten with in a week).

@Kenobee- Just trust me to say once you get a little more experience in the game you'll start seeing the limits of applicable SP taht are applied to each ship and how many of them effect the same attribute. Once you start looking at that you'll notice that you can indeed pass older players in areas as you level up as we may have went a different path then you. Oh yeah and as soon as you start the game pretty much you will have skills that aren't efffecting your ship that your currently flying. It only gets worse when you get older.
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    Is it new player friendly?

Depends what you mean.... it has a very steep learning curve but if you take the time to go through the tutorial... ask questions in rookie chat or the help chat or in local even or in the starter corp you will be put in you should be able to learn the game in a reasonable time.  A great resource is both this site and the official EVE forums.

Do  NOT be affraid to ask questions.  The EVE community can be a bunch of snotty brats when it comes to defending their game (hush, admit it) but in general they are VERY forthcoming when folks ask questions about the game even to the point of giving VERY detailed and specific advice, which is awesome.

So, yes, it's newbie friendly.... however... you WILL need to be willing to learn... and it will require patience.  EVE isn't a game that you're going to hop on and master in just 1 or 2 hours of play.  It's very complex and you will continue to learn new things within it for months, if not years.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

to the OP:

People who say they will never catch up do not understand eve well enough to give you feedback so ignore them right away.  I will be honest with you, I played, quit, played, quit.  But I will give you the truth instead of some stupid response about how you can never measure up because people have a 3 year head start.

IT ISNT TRUE.

Case in point:  I started way back in the day with an amarr character, got him to 10m skill points then ended up hating the character.  I sold him, started over about Mid March with a caldari.  I will wtfpwn most other intie pilots in my Crow, and I have 6 million skillpoints.  Why?

because a lot of those players have 12-20+ millionskill points might not have them all garnered to intie fighting.  They might have skipped inties, or small ship warfair and went strait up for battleships.  They might have a mix and match hodge podge of skills like my amarr that were so spread all over the place, I might have had a lot of skill points, but nothing was concentrated on one thing which means I can do a lot of things, yet I sucked at each one compared to a pilot who trained right.

Skill points per boat, like intie, or Assault frigs, or cruiser, or battleship, only really have a select number of skillpoints for each boat that is viable to that skill tree.  What I mean is this, you can catch up, on a ship to ship basis to characters with more skill points.  Will you be further behind in overall development?  Maybe, most of the time yes, but you will not be at a disadvantage all the time against anyone with better sp totals.

It boils down to how specialized you are, how specialized they are and above all else, how smart you are with the ship you are flying.  I am having way more fun in a specialized interceptor pilot, then I ever did as a spread out sp' character who could mine, fly af's and bs's and bc's and cruisers but not fly any of them to full potential.  I run pirate ops solo in my intie, I have to run from fights where there is too many people or the ship is too big for me to handle (battleships, battle cruisers) but in my crow I can if the target is primed take out targets up to cruiser class using the right Electronic warefare mods, speed and damage type for my missles.

My suggestion to you, find out what you want to fly.  Find out what class has the best ship for that ship type, and compare that to what you want to do the most.  Get a character builder, and make sure you do not let your skillpoints go to waste on stuff that you wont use.  Learn to ask for help, learn to always have local open in hostile enviornments and make lots of safespots. 

You will be fine, you will propser, but only if you want to put in the time to research what you are doing.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• ArcticblueArcticblue Member Posts: 270

Well that is a huge myth, first of I have played for 2.5 years now and yeah I got like 31 million Skillpoints, 10 battleships and a few factionships, got loads of isk to spend wich I quite frequently do.

However... I have at any points NEVER compared my eve time to others, I don't go around thinking I will never beat those beta guys .. and so on.. why would I ??? I can beat them if I play smart.

My corp who soon is 2 years old (I started it) is recruiting and one of my directors who have not played for 1 year yet did beat my battleship very easy.

How is that possible ? I got loads better skills than him, atleast 22 million sp more than him, I got better gunnery skills, better electronics and engineering... mechanics .. only place where he actually beats me skillwise is at Missiles.

Point to the story ... you don't have to play for 3 years to beat a 3 year old character... I have been beaten many times to people who have played for far less.

I don't hear about people with LvL 10 character in WoW beat a LvL 60 for example... or a LVL 20 for that matter.

To OP... yeah EVE is very newbie friendly, just don't compare yourself to others... make your own goals and work for it, you want to be good into production of Tech 1 equipment.. no problem you can make millions easy (takes ofcourse abit work to get there but why would it not?).
    You want to be a Pirate.. no problem... just don't think you can beat a battleship pilot in a frigate... alone.

Just remember... make your own goals and you work to achive them... and if you become a "slave" in a corp you are in the wrong one, you can then start your own or you get into a another one.

• waylanderukwaylanderuk Member Posts: 40

Utter bullshit...

To the OP yes eve can be overwhleming when you first  start the game <there a lot of stuf >...But once you find a good corp with a good mixture of players in it then it gets so much more fun.

For new players there are player run corps that will train you <eve university> some corps that will run combat courses <agony unleashed (SP)>. Yes some corps may not take a trial player onboard and yes some do have both time in game and SP limits, but some are also invite only as well.

But its a great game i you get into it and enjoy it.

• lowradslowrads Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Let's be honest here.

EVE is not friendly to anyone, either old players or new.  The mechanics might be easier on the old player (sometimes), but the playerbase and your rep is more important than mechanics.  The standards just keep rising as you become more senior, and the penalties for not succeeding all the time tend to become more debilitating.

Corps will recruit anyone they consider a follower, but you won't be happy if you aren't a follower personality.  if you choose to start a new one, it can be challenging to get started, and in my experience you will be alone initially.

Be aware that whatever you do, it is possible to lose at EVE unless you take one of CCP's "outs." 

Outs include: npcing or other grinding.  Some people just make the "outs" their vision instead of coming up with their own ideas about how to get on in the Everse.

Be aware that there are different levels of success and failure.  You may accomplish a goal, only to realize that you want something even harder to obtain. 

For example, when you start out, lots of folks tend to want "to get a bigger ship."  Nothing wrong with that, but if you go pvp, you get thrust into that capitalistic awareness of having the finance to repeatedly pay for a certain class of ship.  Some grind, some get burnout. 

Some people may then aspire to get into an alliance or get into a pvp corp.  Succeeding at that, you may find yourself wishing to get into a better or more active pvp corp.  Also very common.  It took me a hell of a long time to get to that point, and then I just realized I wanted even more.  Maybe you'll run into a director that just doesn't like you.  In my experience there's usually at least one.  Now I'm bored of my every-day pvp corp and want to get into mercenary work so I don't have to NPC all the time.  Then I know I'll want to get into covops work, and pitching services to clients, and organizing ops and teams.  Do I start a new corp and leave it all behind?  Do I try to take some of the pvpers I know with me, or do I stay on good relations with the fleet commander (he's become a dithering idiot with success) of the corp I'm in now for future co-op work?

EVE never really goes off of hard mode.  There's always difficult decisions to make and work left undone unless you just quit wanting more.